Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vick Ballard & Delone Carter

Dtman513

When we drafted Delone Carter last year, I believe the Colts wanted him as our 3rd down power back. He had some games where he did pretty good, but he had some trouble fumbling the ball during the season. As a result, he saw less time on the field.

This year the Colts drafted Vick Ballard who is sort of a carbon copy of Carter. A 3rd down power back in certain packages. That could challenge Carter in training camp.

I think the selection of Ballard may be another wake up call to Carter. Initially it was decreased playing time, now it's the presence of another player.

Thoughts?

When we drafted Delone Carter last year, I believe the Colts wanted him as our 3rd down power back. He had some games where he did pretty good, but he had some trouble fumbling the ball during the season. As a result, he saw less time on the field.

This year the Colts drafted Vick Ballard who is sort of a carbon copy of Carter. A 3rd down power back in certain packages. That could challenge Carter in training camp.

I think the selection of Ballard may be another wake up call to Carter. Initially it was decreased playing time, now it's the presence of another player.

Thoughts?

Im thinking, Im not even sure we have a starter in our running back core, Bringing in Ballard better be a wakeup call to both Carter and Brown

I was pretty upset when they drafted Ballard, but the more I've heard of him the more I like him. Many writers and analysts love the pick and think he might be the best back on our roster. It'll be interesting to see how he does in training camp.

Right now...if I had to guess, I would say Donald Brown is the starter. Carter is the back-up. And Ballard will be the short yardage guy.

Carter looked like a beast at times last year but he fumbled WAY too much. If Carter can keep the fumbles under control, he could be a 1,000 yard back for us.

I think Ballard is a potential starting back by the close of the season depending on Brown. Ballard is head and shoulders above Carter. He isn't simply a short yardage back but he does excel there. He is a between the tackles runner that Brown is not and that Arians prefers. This guy had an incredible 2010 and teams keyed in on him in 2011. Even so he was still very good and 6.1 ypc isn't something to sneeze at. He is simply a very solid back. Doesn't have the break away speed that Brown has but is quick to the hole and runs with power. Something we have wanted for a while actually. He should see carries behind Brown and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over the bulk of the carries by next year unless Brown just has a break out season. If he does that is awesome and we should have a good 1-2 punch.

Right now we have Brown, Carter, Ballard, and Karim. I'm not saying we keep them all due to needs and depth at other positions, but these are 4 solid running backs. They all have a chance at starting to me. But if it came down to picking between Ballard or Carter, I would go with Ballard. Good overall running back, good blocker, and good receiver.

I like that the FO has worked diligently to provide Luck with offense support. As to the running game I think it could be anyones game, I like both Brown and Carter, also have Evans who hasn't seen playing time. We have a lot of RBs and WRs at this time and camp will be their chance to excel and earn a chance to play and perform.

First of all, I firmly beleive that the running back position is 100% up for grabs. It will be a wide open competition and its anyones guess at this point who will rise to the top.

Having said that, Mike Mayock said after this pick was made that he wouldn't be surprised to see him starting day one........thats awful bold for a 5th round pick, however, if you look at his measurables, stats, level of competition he played against, production and his strengths he is the ideal fit for what a "Colt's" running back has always been (good pass blocker, good receiver, a true 3-down back). While Manning may be gone, don't think for one minute that keeping Luck upright is just as important to this regime!

If you watch any of his highlights he actually reminds me of DeMarco Murray (of the Cowboys) in that he hits the hole hard and while he doesn't have "homerun" speed he certainly is capable of running by A LOT of people. If you can be productive in the SEC versus those tough defenses then you can succeed in the NFL as well!

Just my .02!

Ballard vs Wake Forrest

Ballard vs Auburn

From watching two two clips here is what I see as his strengths and weaknesses. If I was scouting him it would look something like this.

Running Ability:

Presnap

1. Stance - 93 - Good solid base, does not give the play away with head turn or feet placement
  2. Head - 90 - Good position to see the defensive movement before the snap

At the snap:

1. First step - 67 - Often times takes a step back before moving forward.
  2. Position - 81 - Shoulders stay squared to endzone
  3. Sells the play - 87 - Good job of making plays look the same in the initial 1 second

With Ball in Hands

1. Carrying - 61 - Carries the ball too high.
  2. Vision - 84 - Does a good job of keeping his head up and looking around. Seems to see people with his peripheral vision well.
  3. Acceleration - 96 - His best aspects. Gets up to top speed very almost immediately.
  4. Speed to LOS - 87 - Good patience, sometimes too patient if the hole is not immediately opened
  5. Speed beyond the LOS - 90 - Good top end speed, will be able to outrun most LBers and safeties.
  6. Running at the 2nd level - 79 - Runs a bit high and can be tripped up.
  7. Agility - 75 - Not good at changing direction, hops when trying to stop on a dime

Receiving:

1. Getting open - 85 - Good and getting through the line and finding an open spot.
  2. Catching - 87 - Catches with hands
  3. Run after catch - 85 - Gets turned around and shoulders squared with the endzone as soon as possible.

I did not see any blocking in those two clips so I cannot comment or grade that.

Strength: Good acceleration, good, not great, top end speed, good receiver out of the backfield gets his shoulders square and heading up field after making the catch. Good power, can break arm tackles if above the waist, good anticipation of the hole and blockers and usually falls forward when tackled.

Weaknesses: Goes down easily when hit below the waist. Is not very fluid in his change of direction. Is good at seeing the hole but is indecisive if there is not a clear path. Carries the ball too high when running into a pile or LOS. A lot of yardage came from delays and from the option play. Did not see him make a defender miss in the backfield and turn the play into positive yards.

Seems to be a player that does a lot of things well but nothing outstanding. Will get yards if the hole is there and is very dangerous once he gets to the 2nd level. Could be a good 3rd down back with his ability to lower his shoulder to gain an extra yard and his receiving ability. Will probably take two or three years to really see some production from him in the NFL.

His fall caused him tpo fall in the ranks and i am all the more thankfull. i am high on this guy and very pleased with the selection. No doubt as others have said, there is no "favorite" back to win the job. Ballard is clearly mine.

Not to mention ANOTHER class act we chose. the FO does their homework on tallet and character for the franchise and the fans. respect.

Ballard vs Wake Forrest

Ballard vs Auburn

From watching two two clips here is what I see as his strengths and weaknesses. If I was scouting him it would look something like this.

Running Ability:

Presnap

1. Stance - 93 - Good solid base, does not give the play away with head turn or feet placement
  2. Head - 90 - Good position to see the defensive movement before the snap

At the snap:

1. First step - 67 - Often times takes a step back before moving forward.
  2. Position - 81 - Shoulders stay squared to endzone
  3. Sells the play - 87 - Good job of making plays look the same in the initial 1 second

With Ball in Hands

1. Carrying - 61 - Carries the ball too high.
  2. Vision - 84 - Does a good job of keeping his head up and looking around. Seems to see people with his peripheral vision well.
  3. Acceleration - 96 - His best aspects. Gets up to top speed very almost immediately.
  4. Speed to LOS - 87 - Good patience, sometimes too patient if the hole is not immediately opened
  5. Speed beyond the LOS - 90 - Good top end speed, will be able to outrun most LBers and safeties.
  6. Running at the 2nd level - 79 - Runs a bit high and can be tripped up.
  7. Agility - 75 - Not good at changing direction, hops when trying to stop on a dime

Receiving:

1. Getting open - 85 - Good and getting through the line and finding an open spot.
  2. Catching - 87 - Catches with hands
  3. Run after catch - 85 - Gets turned around and shoulders squared with the endzone as soon as possible.

I did not see any blocking in those two clips so I cannot comment or grade that.

Strength: Good acceleration, good, not great, top end speed, good receiver out of the backfield gets his shoulders square and heading up field after making the catch. Good power, can break arm tackles if above the waist, good anticipation of the hole and blockers and usually falls forward when tackled.

Weaknesses: Goes down easily when hit below the waist. Is not very fluid in his change of direction. Is good at seeing the hole but is indecisive if there is not a clear path. Carries the ball too high when running into a pile or LOS. A lot of yardage came from delays and from the option play. Did not see him make a defender miss in the backfield and turn the play into positive yards.

Seems to be a player that does a lot of things well but nothing outstanding. Will get yards if the hole is there and is very dangerous once he gets to the 2nd level. Could be a good 3rd down back with his ability to lower his shoulder to gain an extra yard and his receiving ability. Will probably take two or three years to really see some production from him in the NFL.

He has been scouted as a good blocker and I have seen clips of him blocking, he does it well.

Why do people assume that every draft pick is drafted for this year?

Especially at RB. I posted this earlier - only about 4 or 5 teams have 'franchise' backs who will get a second contract. We're not one of them. Unless Brown blows up the league or accepts vet minimum, we're not going to re-sign him.

So at that time we'll need another back with experience and Ballard will fit the bill. If he's decent, he and Carter will be our RBBC when Brown is gone.

I think that he will be used as the blocking back. Addai didn't have the O-line in the Pass first offense under Manning to run for 1000 yds a year. He was one of the best blockers at that position. I see Ballard as the blocking back. Big bodied and tough. I think that if he is a good back with production, Brown's days are numbered. Brown Doesn't have the size to throw that back. He is a runner. If the O-lie is better than it will be a draw in the position. Either way I think this move has more to do with Brown's future rather than that of Carter's

Brown is going to start over Ballard hands down. Vick will be competing for Delone's job. When Joesph Addai rushed for 1000 yards we did have an o-line. We had Tarik Glenn and Jake Scott on the line. After they left no more o-line. We need to see Donald run behind an actual offensive line.

He has been scouted as a good blocker and I have seen clips of him blocking, he does it well.

Cool. Thank you for the input.

I don't remember seeing this guy before and after watching the clips I don't think he was a wasted draft pick at all. I can envision Carter/Ballard being the RBs next year (assuming that a, Brown shows to be the same as the past few years and Carter solves his fumbling problem)

Especially at RB. I posted this earlier - only about 4 or 5 teams have 'franchise' backs who will get a second contract. We're not one of them. Unless Brown blows up the league or accepts vet minimum, we're not going to re-sign him.

So at that time we'll need another back with experience and Ballard will fit the bill. If he's decent, he and Carter will be our RBBC when Brown is gone.

I agree. I just get amused at the attitude of some posters. They act like every pick has to play a major role this year or it's a wasted pick. That is true for the first round and second round. After that, if you get major production from round 3-7 in their first year that is just gravy

Brown is going to start over Ballard hands down. Vick will be competing for Delone's job. When Joesph Addai rushed for 1000 yards we did have an o-line. We had Tarik Glenn and Jake Scott on the line. After they left no more o-line. We need to see Donald run behind an actual offensive line.

I disagree about the oline. There were problems last year because of injuries and teams not worried about a Collins/Painter/O completing a pass longer than 10 yards. But the year before that both Addai and Hart average 4.5 ypc and Brown was at 3.2 or 3.6. There is a reason for that.

Now, that being said. I believe the type of O that Arians likes to run will be good for Brown. I have stated numerous times that I think Brown could be a very good runner, he was just not a good fit for the Colts zone blocking scheme because he cannot anticipate where the hole may open. Now, if we look at the type of players they are bringing in, especially in the guard and center positions it appears that they are going to go to a more man blocking scheme which will benefit Brown greatly. Because the play will be designed to go up the 3 gap and the oline position themselves to open the hole at the 3 gap. In a zone blocking the hole could open anywhere from the center of the LT to the center of the Center and the RB needs to anticipate that and then make a move to get there. Those are two of Brown's biggest weaknesses.

Cool. Thank you for the input.

I don't remember seeing this guy before and after watching the clips I don't think he was a wasted draft pick at all. I can envision Carter/Ballard being the RBs next year (assuming that a, Brown shows to be the same as the past few years and Carter solves his fumbling problem)

I also watched him against Auburn and he did EVERYTHING. He was the reason that MSU cam eeven close. He is a very good blocker, which is what I think is one of the main reasons we drafted him. He can catch the pass and accelerate very fast. I personally liked the pick a lot.

I don't spend time on other team's boards, but I do wonder if all their fans have such an obsession with the team's 3rd string Running Back. Whether it's James Mungro, Kenton Keith, Mike Hart, or Javarris James, I just can't fathom why we even care. Maybe I'm just the kind of guy that doesn't give the slightest crap about a position you can fill with any old undrafted guy.

Don't rip me too much. :)

I honestly believe that by Week 10 or so, Vick Ballard will be starting. This kid is the real deal, and I'm surprised he dropped to the 5th round.

I don't spend time on other team's boards, but I do wonder if all their fans have such an obsession with the team's 3rd string Running Back. Whether it's James Mungro, Kenton Keith, Mike Hart, or Javarris James, I just can't fathom why we even care. Maybe I'm just the kind of guy that doesn't give the slightest crap about a position you can fill with any old undrafted guy.

Don't rip me too much. :)

Other teams dont talk 3rd string cuz they HAVE a starter... we have a horse race!

The fascination is derived from him not being a 3rd stringer... guy has serious NFL chops. He went butt over Tea Kettle during his 40 (great yardage after the trip...hehe) and followed it with a conservative run cuz im sure he was as nervous and embarressed as it gets. He was at a smaller school and over shadowed by the Richardson hype train. Forget about what ESPN showed you and look at the tape of the guy... and his stat line... 29 tds in 2 years isnt an accident... AND he blocks? and pulls away from dbs... "they havnt cought me yet..." -V. Ballard.

Im not impressed by Brown or Carter and ill give Brown the line issues as a partial pass but if he doesnt put up much better efforts (he wont) i say so long... leaving Carter who is a fumble risk or this certified B.A that was delivered to us in round 5...

as the above quote from Andy is referenced, i too hope Ballard is on the field by week 10 or sooner as the starter (and he will be)... then my friend we arnt talking about a 3rd string runner... we are tlaking about the starter... the future.

I'm a Miss State alum and have known about Ballard for a long time. Everyone in the SEC respects this guy. I am a homer, but I am not being a homer when I say that he is the real deal. Brown and Carter "padded" their stats by playing lesser competition. Ballard played future NFL Dlineman every single game for 2 years and produced Richardson like numbers as stated at Bleacher Report. He is NFL ready and even though he can be an every down player, I picture him being Mr. Dependable on 3rd down much like Faulk was for so many years with the Pats. The good thing is that we don't have to toot his horn, everyone will see in camp.

I'm a Miss State alum and have known about Ballard for a long time. Everyone in the SEC respects this guy. I am a homer, but I am not being a homer when I say that he is the real deal. Brown and Carter "padded" their stats by playing lesser competition. Ballard played future NFL Dlineman every single game for 2 years and produced Richardson like numbers as stated at Bleacher Report. He is NFL ready and even though he can be an every down player, I picture him being Mr. Dependable on 3rd down much like Faulk was for so many years with the Pats. The good thing is that we don't have to toot his horn, everyone will see in camp.

ITS CAMP DAY!!!

Right now we have Brown, Carter, Ballard, and Karim. I'm not saying we keep them all due to needs and depth at other positions, but these are 4 solid running backs. They all have a chance at starting to me. But if it came down to picking between Ballard or Carter, I would go with Ballard. Good overall running back, good blocker, and good receiver.

the good thing is: You carry at least 3 halfbacks (who, by the way, is Karim?) so we dont have to choose between them

Ballard must be left handed because he carries the ball under his left arm almost all the time. This leads to fumbles when going to his right. He must correct this or the Colts have to run him to the left on all his carries.

its already been said that Ballard is going to be our 3rd down back.

It's been speculated by some people who have no connection with the Colts. Mainly based on Carter's fumbling problem.

I think it's going to be a good camp battle with all of the RB's we have on the roster. Blocking ability may be the determining factor on who makes the roster and who gets the most carries. (I'm looking at you GD Donald!)