Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's up with this Brazil's guy

That one handed catch and then he hits the defender with the other hand was pretty sick. I like his attitude. Looks like he has good hands. That would make him better than Garcon already.

I also like the one at the 1:35 mark in the Utah State video...reminds me a little of Smith CAR with his on the field attitude.

what really jumped out at me in the LaVon Brazill vs Temple 2011 video was his lack of blocking for the Run. when it's a Pass, he seemed to go all out. but when ohio was Running the ball he made very little effort to block the CB in front of him. that could be a one game issue, idk, but if its a 'randy moss' character issue, then i wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.

what really jumped out at me in the LaVon Brazill vs Temple 2011 video was his lack of blocking for the Run. when it's a Pass, he seemed to go all out. but when ohio was Running the ball he made very little effort to block the CB in front of him. that could be a one game issue, idk, but if its a 'randy moss' character issue, then i wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.

Put him in on passing downs. Problem solved.

Put him in on passing downs. Problem solved.

I hope you're being sarcastic b/c that would take away from the element of surprise on Offense. If he's only on the field when it's a Pass that makes it easier on any opposing Defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, cause 88 was the best darned run blocker in the league, right?

and you're " duh, Winning! " , right? Don't be a Fool and compare lavon brazill to one of the best WR in nfl history.

Oh wow, that's one heckuva easy cop out. You can't compare Lavon Brazill to one of the best WR's EVAR.

The funny thing to me is this: fans love to look at tape and be some form of scout. Magically, you see that he didn't block well on a play or two, and suggest that it is possible he'd be cut for that. Make no mistake, the coaches and GMs and scouts look at the tape, and a lot more tape than you or I do. They see what they are looking for. They wouldn't have drafted the kid if they didn't have a good feeling about him.

As it pertains to blocking and the WR position, I see this being no different than people who are worried about Dwight Freeney being able to play man coverage. He's a pass rushing OLB in the 3-4 or a pass rushing DE in a 4-3 scheme. Man coverage will seldom if ever be called on from Freeney. If they were to cut him because he can't cover, they'd be focusing on the wrong criteria of what makes a pass rusher good.

My guess is that, when a team looks at WRs, run blocking is 5-10% of their overall grade, if that. It's nice when they can block, but it isn't their most important aspect. As a WR, when run blocking, your job is to get in the way of a defender, slow him down enough to let the RB get by, and not get called for holding.

As far as the idea of Brazil being cut because he's a poor blocker, from the tape I've seen, he's one heckuva receiver, although in a smaller school. He looks like a guy that could produce if given time to develop in the NFL (ala Garcon, but it would appear without the dropsies and perhaps a bit less physicality). If his blocking is sub par, my guess is that will be something that they develop him on as well. But to make some meaningless point that he'll be cut because he didn't block well in some highlight real... LOL. He's not a lineman. He's not a TE. Run blocking has some importance, but not enough to cut the kid if he is a good receiver.

Oh wow, that's one heckuva easy cop out. You can't compare Lavon Brazill to one of the best WR's EVAR.

The funny thing to me is this: fans love to look at tape and be some form of scout. Magically, you see that he didn't block well on a play or two, and suggest that it is possible he'd be cut for that. Make no mistake, the coaches and GMs and scouts look at the tape, and a lot more tape than you or I do. They see what they are looking for. They wouldn't have drafted the kid if they didn't have a good feeling about him.

As it pertains to blocking and the WR position, I see this being no different than people who are worried about Dwight Freeney being able to play man coverage. He's a pass rushing OLB in the 3-4 or a pass rushing DE in a 4-3 scheme. Man coverage will seldom if ever be called on from Freeney. If they were to cut him because he can't cover, they'd be focusing on the wrong criteria of what makes a pass rusher good.

My guess is that, when a team looks at WRs, run blocking is 5-10% of their overall grade, if that. It's nice when they can block, but it isn't their most important aspect. As a WR, when run blocking, your job is to get in the way of a defender, slow him down enough to let the RB get by, and not get called for holding.

As far as the idea of Brazil being cut because he's a poor blocker, from the tape I've seen, he's one heckuva receiver, although in a smaller school. He looks like a guy that could produce if given time to develop in the NFL (ala Garcon, but it would appear without the dropsies and perhaps a bit less physicality). If his blocking is sub par, my guess is that will be something that they develop him on as well. But to make some meaningless point that he'll be cut because he didn't block well in some highlight real... LOL. He's not a lineman. He's not a TE. Run blocking has some importance, but not enough to cut the kid if he is a good receiver.

So let's go back to the original post... "LaVon Brazill vs Temple...that could be a one game issue, idk, but if its a 'randy moss' character issue". Against Utah State in the Idaho Potato Bowl he did a good job in run blocking, so that answers my question of it being a 1 game issue. I agree with you that he's a good WR. So simply stating that from the tape you'd seen he does a good all-around job, but rather than doing that you thought you'd be a sarcastic..."person". :thmup:

What will we ever do if our 6th round slot receiver can't block? This could cost us the superbowl! We should cut every player on our team who can't block like Jake Long! How does his lack of run blocking (which is ridiculous and doesn't matter) mean he has character issues and should be cut?

So let's go back to the original post... "LaVon Brazill vs Temple...that could be a one game issue, idk, but if its a 'randy moss' character issue". Against Utah State in the Idaho Potato Bowl he did a good job in run blocking, so that answers my question of it being a 1 game issue. I agree with you that he's a good WR. So simply stating that from the tape you'd seen he does a good all-around job, but rather than doing that you thought you'd be a sarcastic..."person". :thmup:

Sarcasm or not, your post was way off base. Let's look at the series of events:

1) Colts draft Lavon Brazill.

2) GoColts00 watches youtube video where Brazill struggled in run blocking.

3) GoColts00 makes claim that:

his lack of blocking for the Run; he made very little effort to block the CB in front of him; (and finally) that could be a one game issue, idk, but if its a 'randy moss' character issue, then i wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.

The problem with your comments is that you are viewing a historical video (IE - from the past), making the assumption that it is what his entire body of work looks like, and making the assumption that that may correlate to a character issue, in which case he'll be cut.

The problem is, a scout with the Colts has likely seen that video, and every other video available, and made a full list of characteristics of Lavon Brazil. In doing so, they determined he was worthy of a 6th round selection. And, as much as some fans like to look at 6th round selections as nothing, the team values such picks as that is where teams get to take a chance on a small school guy who loads of potential to play in the pros. Players like Antoine Bethea.

I can guarantee you that Bethea had is negatives when drafted, but the Colts overlooked them in favor of a guy who could potentially produce in the pros. I won't say the same is true of Brazill, but from the little bit I have seen, the guy makes some circus catches, and has tremendous fight in him when running with the ball.

His run blocking may be sub-par at times, but when you're the leading receiver on your team (ala 88), you're better off saving your energy for the plays where you can really make a difference.

In any case, don't look at past footage and suggest the guy will be cut, because that same footage, plus loads of other footage, was already used to make the case to draft him.

Where we play and who we drafted at QB and tight end..we need all the speed outside we can acquire..

..and our special teams have been shameful......at the very least this boy (it appears) can return punts or kickoffs

In recent years..playing on a fast surface in perfect conditions..we have not had the speed we needed to turn little plays into big plays

now we do.

Sarcasm or not, your post was way off base. Let's look at the series of events:

1) Colts draft Lavon Brazill.

2) GoColts00 watches youtube video where Brazill struggled in run blocking.

3) GoColts00 makes claim that:

his lack of blocking for the Run; he made very little effort to block the CB in front of him; (and finally) that could be a one game issue, idk, but if its a 'randy moss' character issue, then i wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.

The problem with your comments is that you are viewing a historical video (IE - from the past), making the assumption that it is what his entire body of work looks like, and making the assumption that that may correlate to a character issue, in which case he'll be cut.

The problem is, a scout with the Colts has likely seen that video, and every other video available, and made a full list of characteristics of Lavon Brazil. In doing so, they determined he was worthy of a 6th round selection. And, as much as some fans like to look at 6th round selections as nothing, the team values such picks as that is where teams get to take a chance on a small school guy who loads of potential to play in the pros. Players like Antoine Bethea.

I can guarantee you that Bethea had is negatives when drafted, but the Colts overlooked them in favor of a guy who could potentially produce in the pros. I won't say the same is true of Brazill, but from the little bit I have seen, the guy makes some circus catches, and has tremendous fight in him when running with the ball.

His run blocking may be sub-par at times, but when you're the leading receiver on your team (ala 88), you're better off saving your energy for the plays where you can really make a difference.

In any case, don't look at past footage and suggest the guy will be cut, because that same footage, plus loads of other footage, was already used to make the case to draft him.

so again instead of reading the 2nd post, "Against Utah State in the Idaho Potato Bowl he did a good job in run blocking, so that answers my question of it being a 1 game issue." , you start into a long, boring bunch of paragraphs that i didn't take time to read.