Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mel Kiper's Grade for the Colts

Scott21

This is Mel Kiper's final draft grade for the Colts. The Colts were one of four teams to receive A grades for their draft, including the Eagles, Buccaneers, and Bengals. I feel the same way Kiper does about the Colts' draft, in that it was exceptional. The way I look at it, the Colts needed to address offense more than defense in this draft for two reasons; One, they already added some quality defensive players in Cory Redding, Tom Zbikowski and Brandon McKinney. Two, the Colts have talent on defense, what they need is coaching, which they now have with Pagano. If we decided to address defense in the 2nd-4th rounds, Luck would only have two decent targets to throw to next year. They added three great targets in Fleener, Allen and Hilton, so now the offense could actually be very efficient under Luck's command.

(The section didn't paste well into this post, so I apologize if it's inconsistent to read)

Indianapolis Colts

Needs: a_minus.png

Value: b_plus.png

Overall:
a_minus.png

ind.gifTop needs: QB, WR, DL, CB, OL

Summary: Think the Colts were concerned about building a supporting cast for Andrew Luck? They showed an unbelievable commitment to Luck, adding the top two tight ends in the draft in Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen (Luck is used to two-TE sets), a burner in T.Y. Hilton who could become a gem in the slot and even got a possible late steal with Lavon Brazill way down the board. Josh Chapman hits a big need on the interior of that defensive line, and I've even heard really positive assessments of his health situation after he actually played some games without an ACL in 2011. Colleague Trent Dilfer noted that getting all these pass-catching pieces now is a good way to develop early chemistry and give Luck a chance to succeed earlier than we suspected given the state of the lineup going into the draft. I'd make this grade a good one with Luck alone. But the Colts did that one better. They had a plan and I came away impressed.

I also give the Colts an A- for the draft. Virtually every need that the Colts had was addressed in the draft or in signing undrafted free agents. So far, the Colts have picked up 2 QBs, 4 O-linemen, 2 TE, 5 WRs, 2 RBs, 3 D-linemen, 3 CBs, 1 S, and 1 LB; all of these being college players. This doesn't include he veterans we have picked up and are going to pick up in the offseason. So good job Pagano, Grigson, and everyone else in the Colts war room!

I agree. I was confused with a lot of picks in the draft but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. The two defensive picks we made were both very good, as well.

I think Chapman has a very good chance to start next year, even as a rookie DT. The guy played on a tore ACL half of the season. Imagine what he could of done without the injury.

I like most of the draft, but really don not understand the Chandler Harnish pick. To me this was a wasted pick just to make a fellow Hoosier feel better. Why not use the pick to get one of the free agents the Colts would have wanted. Harnish is going to get next to 0 snaps behind Luck and Stanton. I wish we would have used the pick on Chris Polk, or Chase Minnifield.

I think Chapman has a very good chance to start next year

He'll definitely be in the rotation with McKinney.

The guy played on a tore ACL half of the season. Imagine what he could of done without the injury.

When I heard that I was like, this guy is a Soldier. And had he not been injured we may well would've had to blow a two or trade up to get him. We probably got a steal. ;)

I like most of the draft, but really don not understand the Chandler Harnish pick. To me this was a wasted pick just to make a fellow Hoosier feel better. Why not use the pick to get one of the free agents the Colts would have wanted. Harnish is going to get next to 0 snaps behind Luck and Stanton. I wish we would have used the pick on Chris Polk, or Chase Minnifield.

I think he'll end up the back-up QB by next year.

He'll definitely be in the rotation with McKinney.

When I heard that I was like, this guy is a Soldier. And had he not been injured we may well would've had to blow a two or trade up to get him. We probably got a steal. ;)

I've watched a lot of Bama games and was always impressed with Chapman. He's not spectacular, he just does his job. And when it came out that he tore his ACL and still wanted to play I thought that's a guy you want as a teammate. I know they'll give him time to heal and ease him in.

At the end of last year, Bama had maybe the best D ever in college football. It has to be good when you get a guy who was their anchor.

I would have no problem drafting a guy who played through an entire championship season on a bum knee that can heal. I forgot which game he sat out, but it was evident he was out because the opposing rushed for like 320yds. Besides Luck, Chapman is my favorite pick, then TY Hilton.

it was a great draft getting three offensive playmakers for luck to work with. also chapman was a steal i thought he would be gone by late 2nd. he's the best run stopping nt in the draft and will start next year over mcckinney.

Just read back over the last four years where Colt fans pine endlessly about how the Pats seem to pick up late round QB's develop them, and then trade them for picks higher up later on. Think outside the box.

I think Chapman has a very good chance to start next year, even as a rookie DT. The guy played on a tore ACL half of the season. Imagine what he could of done without the injury.

Good point. Chapman had been projected as a first round choice prior to the injury. Playing with this injury showed true grit. The kid is NFL ready when healthy, and can work with Brandon McKinney to 'master' the Pagano defense. GREAT PICK!!!! Edited by BrentMc11

You guys can call me stupid, but I watched the fun high scoring games in the MAC last year. Most games were fun to watch. Chandler Harnish was as exciting as any QB in the MAC, and I can see why he was worthy of Mr Irrelevant.

My guess is he can learn on the practice squad and serve as number 3. Not a big Vittatoe fan.

I gave us an A yesterday, I can't say that A- is too far off of that. I hope some of the folks that got angry over the draft come around.

According to my copy of Pro Football Draft 2012:

Chandler Harnish

Upside: A gritty, athletic field general, Harnish has the ability to improvise but is also coming along as a traditional passer. He's willing to stand in the pocket and take a hit, and has the athleticism and strength to make throws while absorbing contact. His decision-making is solid, and his underneath accuracy is good on the move to the left or right.

Downside: He played primary out of the shotgun and was used on a lot of spread option plays. His arm strength is marginal and his release is a little low, a problem considering his marginal size. His deep balls tend to wobble.

Bottom line: A nice West Coast prospect who belongs on an NFL roster. Harnish isn't a future starter, but is a guy who could manage an offense in a pinch.

It's just once source, but sounds good for the final pick of the draft.