Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson’s Tap Out

csmopar

3 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

You’re right it’s not a good look. However, it’s not the Corps, it’s a football game. Maybe, he thought he was making the right decision. Like I said, hopefully he learns a lesson.  Based on how Pittman played maybe he shouldn’t have been out there. 

No he didn’t.  I clearly remember Harbaugh took himself out because he was exhausted. 

You clearly remember wrong.   Harbaugh came out of the game in 96 after a scrum for a fumble.   He was benched in 97

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

He's getting shredded on the morning talk shows.

Hopefully this doesn't spiral out of control 

I don't see what the big deal is. The media and fans love to find something to talk about. I have no idea why taking a breath for one play --one play!! -- is that big a deal. I really don't get it. He went back in.

Hopefully Richardson has some good people around him to help him when he is being showered by boos at Lucas Oil Stadium.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

You’re right it’s not a good look. However, it’s not the Corps, it’s a football game. Maybe, he thought he was making the right decision. Like I said, hopefully he learns a lesson.  Based on how Pittman played maybe he shouldn’t have been out there. 

It's not the Corps, but it is an example of being an effective leader, which is what a quarterback by definition is supposed to be. I like how you brought up Pittman as a counter example, because I was thinking that wide receivers run sprints on every play and you never see him begging off on a 3rd down play. Everyone knows he's playing hurt, but he's out there sacrificing & risking it for his teammates, and I'm sure they all appreciate it and hold him in higher regard because of it. He may not be a quarterback, but he's a team leader and when he speaks, his words carry more weight because of the example he consistently sets. 

36 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

He was tapping his head repeatedly so I thought he had another concussion.

I looked at the tackle and he didn't hit his head at all so where was the concussion I wondered

Then I found out he was tired

My first thought was maybe the intercom system in his helmet had stopped working and he was signaling for that

• Like 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

My first thought was maybe the intercom system in his helmet had stopped working and he was signaling for that

Had he said that was the situation and not that he was tired, he would not be taking criticism from all directions with people questioning his conditioning, toughness, commitment & leadership abilities.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

He's getting shredded on the morning talk shows.

Hopefully this doesn't spiral out of control 

I believe perhaps the biggest problem AR has, regarding his inaccuracy, has been all the thinking getting into his head... All this tapping out criticism likely wont help his mental preparations. We shall see how Anthony will weather through the storm, and if Steichen can help him set aside the noise. If AR beats the Vikings, it all goes away, at least for another week.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Had he said that was the situation and not that he was tired, he would not be taking criticism from all directions with people questioning his conditioning, toughness, commitment & leadership abilities.

Yep. to bad he didn't think of it. lol

8 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

It's not the Corps, but it is an example of being an effective leader, which is what a quarterback by definition is supposed to be. I like how you brought up Pittman as a counter example, because I was thinking that wide relievers run sprints on every play and you never see him begging off on a 3rd down play. Everyone knows he's playing hurt, but he's out there sacrificing & risking it for his teammates, and I'm sure they all appreciate it and hold him in higher regard because of it. He may not be a quarterback, but he's a team leader and when he speaks, his words carry more weight because of the example he consistently sets. 

And you have to decide at what point are you a hinderance to the team. Pittman may have been that yesterday.  I don’t know. Maybe he just played bad.   Like I said, it’s a bad look. I think he certainly could have handled a hand off, but he wasn’t thinking that way.  

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

It could have been a lot worse. It is ridiculous. It reminds me a bit of what Jason Pierre-Paul did. It was a silly thing to do to play with fireworks. It almost ended his career. Maybe he wanted to show his toughness??

To you it might seem it could have been worse.  But he probably understood the limits of the candle and that it would build a slow heat on his palm.  OTOH, JPP showed his stupidity.  Not understand the power of an unlit explosive isn't the same thing as understanding the finite power of a lit candle flame. 

I feel like you are just arguing.  I only offered to answer your question.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some of you all care way too much what the national media thinks of the Colts.

Maybe. But it's not just that. The Indianapolis TV, radio, and newspaper media are full of the same kind of Richardson,tap-out and should Richardson be benched stories and talk today. Colts social media (and this message board) are flooded with it. Local fans are talking. It's everywhere that the Colts are. 

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I believe perhaps the biggest problem AR has regarding his inaccuracy had been getting into his head... All this tapping out criticism likely wont help his mental preparations. We shall see how Anthony will weather through the storm, and if Steichen can help him set aside the noise. If AR beats the Vikings, it all goes away, at least for another week.

Maybe, maybe not - beating the Vikings would be great, but yesterday was against a divisional & conference opponent with the AFC South lead on the line, and his pick just before halftime that had us going into the locker room down by 7 instead of being tied and getting the ball first in the 3rd was the real killer. In the grand scheme of things, yesterday's loss not only virtually guaranteed that we won't win the division barring some epic collapse on Houston's part, but it could also cost us a postseason berth due to tiebreaker scenarios.

45 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

1997 opening game at Miami.  Jim Harbaugh tapped out in the second half from being tired and exhausted. Paul Justin throws the final 13 passes in a 16-10 loss.  Due to a magical 1995 season Colts fans hold this mediocre QB and all around * in high regard. 

Does AR need to toughen up? Yes, but a little perspective.   He had run three consecutive plays took some hits and was out of breath. In the big picture it was a nothing burger. Hopefully, another learning experience. 

No.   The prior play he scrambled around a little in the pocket and threw a pass.  The TD pass that was nullified by a penalty.   The play before that was a handoff to Taylor.  In fact on the Taylor run 2 plays prior a Houston player was injured and there was a long delay.  He had plenty of time to rest.  Then the Colts ran 2 plays.  They he took himself out of the game. 

So the coach lied about it.   And if he is too tired from a handoff, a pass, and a run?  He seriously needs to improve his conditioning.  Remember in a couple of other games he has been slow to get up from looking winded and had to take a knee in the huddle a few times.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't see what the big deal is. The media and fans love to find something to talk about. I have no idea why taking a breath for one play --one play!! -- is that big a deal. I really don't get it. He went back in.

Hopefully Richardson has some good people around him to help him when he is being showered by boos at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The play in and of itself in relation to the game was not huge.  Although who knows. Maybe they pass the ball with AR in there and score a touchdown instead of running it because Flacco was rushed into the game and not warmed up so they ran it instead.  They kicked a FG after so that is a potential 4 points lost.

But the bigger issue is it shows poor leadership and the other players, who don't come out, look at that and wonder just what is going on with this guy.   I still remember the game earlier this season where he got hit on the hip and his first instinct was to drop the ball and reach for his side/hip.  Flopping around like a fish while the ball is loose next to him.

Then wanting back in the game 2 plays later.  It was "odd".

It was a very bad look.  And his post game comments as of late are just as bad.

If I am the Colts I have to be taking a very serious look as to whether he can  ever be a good player in the NFL.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

To you it might seem it could have been worse.  But he probably understood the limits of the candle and that it would build a slow heat on his palm.  OTOH, JPP showed his stupidity.  Not understand the power of an unlit explosive isn't the same thing as understanding the finite power of a lit candle flame. 

I feel like you are just arguing.  I only offered to answer your question.

I'm not arguing. That is what I believe. I don't believe that putting one's hand over a candle and leaving it there shows toughness. You don't have to agree. We don't usually agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

1997 opening game at Miami.  Jim Harbaugh tapped out in the second half from being tired and exhausted. Paul Justin throws the final 13 passes in a 16-10 loss.  Due to a magical 1995 season Colts fans hold this mediocre QB and all around * in high regard. 

Does AR need to toughen up? Yes, but a little perspective.   He had run three consecutive plays took some hits and was out of breath. In the big picture it was a nothing burger. Hopefully, another learning experience. 

Did Harbaugh tap out or did the coach make that call? 

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Did Harbaugh tap out or did the coach make that call? 

In 96 Harbaugh came off for 1 play.   He was under a pile of dolphins for a couple of minutes fighting for a loose ball.  He came out of the pile with the ball.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

And his post game comments as of late are just as bad.

Those comments were bizarre. I have a bigger problem with what he said after the game than that "tap out". He is very young. Maybe he does not understand what is appropriate to say.

Years ago, one of the Mets pitchers, Tom Glavine, was asked if he was "devastated" that he lost a critical game which came late in the season. He replied that he was not. The media and fans had a big problem with that response; they thought he should be more upset about losing. He was an older veteran and he too was not aware that that response would not be received well.

Richardson needs to think before he says something. His response and body language (smiling, etc) were not appropriate after a close loss like that. He has a lot to learn. But he is 22 or 23. He may not do it with the Colts, but I think he will eventually be a successful QB.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nancy said:

McAfee's show has this nick name now - Anthony "Tap Out" Richardson. 

Billy Gardell Im Done GIF by CBS

I'm the same as McAfee.   This past off season Pat could not say enough good things about AR and even had him on his show and was just gushing.   As was I.

Now we are both, as is a lot of the fan base, doing a complete 180.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Maybe, maybe not - beating the Vikings would be great, but yesterday was against a divisional & conference opponent with the AFC South lead on the line, and his pick just before halftime that had us going into the locker room down by 7 instead of being tied and getting the ball first in the 3rd was the real killer. In the grand scheme of things, yesterday's loss not only virtually guaranteed that we won't win the division barring some epic collapse on Houston's part, but it could also cost us a postseason berth due to tiebreaker scenarios.

I get all that. Yesterdays loss really hurts the team... But I was simply saying that if Richardson can pull off a win at Minnesota, on national tv, the pressure about him tapping out, will be off him for at least one week.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’d really like to know if that was harbaughs call or the coach?

Harbaugh walked to the sideline.    It was his call.    He had just been under a pile of very large men fighting for the football.    He looked exhausted 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

You clearly remember wrong.   Harbaugh came out of the game in 96 after a scrum for a fumble.   He was benched in 97

I remember '97 at Miami he said in the post game, he was spent. 

Then again, at his age and with the 90% humidity (and I was there) I couldn't blame him. 

1 minute ago, jemack said:

I remember '97 at Miami he said in the post game, he was spent. 

Then again, at his age and with the 90% humidity (and I was there) I couldn't blame him. 

He was benched that game.   He was terrible 

This is a good test for AR's mental. The national media will always jump onto potential drama and sports fans in general are short tempered and impatient, despite the obvious metrics we already knew about the kid. When everyone's against you, how do you respond? I hope Steichen gives him the proper play calling and tools to succeed these next few weeks, because it won't be easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

Everything that’s been said on McAfee today is absolutely true. Richardson is the laughing stock of the NFL now. 

McAfee really laid into AR here.  Just brutalized him.  Starts about 5 minutes into the video.    Everything we are saying on here he said.  Basically says he is not smart football wise, entitled, and has no idea how to be an NFL qb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Maybe you should read Chappell’s article that verifies what I said.  He had since updated it. He took himself out for fatigue.  Justin threw the final 13 passes. Miami writer called him a quitter. 

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He may have been spent, but he didn't pull himself out of the game

I didn't say he pull himself out. Your correct, he wasn't good that game. Why Infante waited so long baffled me. 3 missed Fgs, ugly game until Justin came in.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

McAfee really laid into AR here.  Just brutalized him.  Starts about 5 minutes into the video.    Everything we are saying on here he said.  Basically says he is not smart football wise, entitled, and has no idea how to be an NFL qb. 

Yes. McAfee said Richardson doesn't understand the crucial role of the QB on the team as its leader and doesn't get how fortunate he is to have one of the 32 starting QB jobs in the NFL. McAfee also seemed to suggest that Richardson has stayed out of games when injury tests have indicated he could have gone back in. 

They also showed a stat with Richardson 222nd out of 225 QBs in completion percentage since 2000 among QBs with 250+ passing attempts. The whole segment was brutal. 

I have to apologize to many on here. 

I spend so many weeks arguing with you all that AR was more of a pocket passer with all the stuff about pocket awareness. 

And then he goes on presser after this weekend's game and calls himself a running QB...

I'm a * folks. I'm a *. 

We drafted a running back who can occasionally throw a 60 yard bomb... We might be screwed... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ColtsFanTony said:

This teams is a playoff roster team.

Drafting a QB with 13 games and using Sunday games to develop him is insane.  He's not accurate and it's clear he's overwhelmed at this point.

The tap out was obvious...he wanted Joe to the handle making or breaking the drive.

How many years have they made thr playoffs under Ballard? This is similar to past years.  Plus u cannot say thry are a play off team without AR. He is part of the roster.

He's a rookie so I will give him the benefit of the doubt....but that had to read weak to his teammates....they will not admit it publicly, but that was a bone head move....which until I see it again will count as a rookie mistake, the bigger problem is he cant throw and the coach cant recognize that he cant throw......that is a huge problem (X2)

• Like 1