Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR15 thru 2 games thus far:

csmopar

3 hours ago, HOZER said:

AR has flashed,  but has a lot of work to do. It really bothered me to see him sulking/pouting on the sidelines yesterday, at one point with towel over his head while sitting on a cooler. Some of our previous QBs took that opportunity to review plays and mistakes to try to seek better opportunities or reads on defenses. Not a good look in my opinion. Got to stay hungry/agressive. 

Someone made the point last week th

29 minutes ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Idk if any of you guys remember Andrew’s rookie yr but that’s precisely what I’ve seen from AR…  big difference is the team around him

Luck had very dependable vet receiver in Reggie and hadn’t built the crazy chemistry with TY yet, the defense was top 10 that yr!!… and luck still made wild mind numbing decisions but we was able to live with them because we had a better team..

AR has a defense that’s already given up almost half 1000 yds on the ground and can’t cover receivers on 3rd and long, his receivers with exception of Alec, are dropping wide open passes or not giving max effort… oline has been kinda below average but his escapability erases that… Jack Doyle and Eric Ebron aren’t walking through that door so there’s TE security blanket

Andrew Luck had also completed over 700 passes and thrown 82 TD passes in three years at Stanford, so there was little doubt he had the skills. I’m hopeful AR becomes a franchise guy but it’s to fair to wonder given his inexperience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did you guys see this from the titans HC on Mayo man. Ha ha. It could be worse for colts.

I wonder if they go 2-6 or worse they’ll bench him. Seems like his coach is starting to lose patience with him. Cost them 2 games.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You make it easy on a young QB by running the ball and giving him easy reads. But Steichen thinks taking Taylor out when he is averaging 8.6 yards is a good idea.

It sounds good on paper, but Richardson has to stop overthrowing his receivers, should the receivers still catch them yes but he isn’t making it easy. I do believe Richardson is getting less blame than he should. He’s making easy nfl passes look hard, which makes the Cincinnati practices and their criticism more evident.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It sounds good on paper, but Richardson has to stop overthrowing his receivers, should the receivers still catch them yes but he isn’t making it easy. I do believe Richardson is getting less blame than he should. He’s making easy nfl passes look hard, which makes the Cincinnati practices and their criticism more evident.  

How about Steichen stop treating him like a 5 year vet.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Giving Chicago three #1's perhaps plus wasn't an "easy" trade.

Stroud came in the league with a lot to prove. Today I would agree he has a good shot to play in a SB. But that is post draft. And we could be here 10 years from now with Stroud coming up short of a SB.

Today I am not seeing Richardson as a guy headed to a SB. Neither did anyone see it from Josh Allen after year one.

Give AR 5 years, 8 years, he absolutely could be a MVP. Probably for someone else haha! 

To me, Stroud was definitely the best QB in the draft, and even I wasn't interested in making that kind of trade to get the #1 pick. Right now, I'd say it would have been worth it, but we all know how this works. 

And people were more split on Stroud and Young than they want to acknowledge, with what we presently know. Even people whose opinions I have great respect for, and continue to respect, had Young ahead of Stroud. So it's not like he was considered a surefire, future franchise QB, across the board. 

It's also too early to be talking about Anthony Richardson as if he won't be good. He's one of the most raw prospects ever, and he's played six games in the NFL. I'm not calling him the next Josh Allen, but yeah, that's the pattern, and he had serious ups and downs for the better part of two years. Richardson is a multi-year project, and going on emotional highs and lows with him after every game probably isn't the best idea. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's also too early to be talking about Anthony Richardson as if he won't be good. He's one of the most raw prospects ever, and he's played six games in the NFL. I'm not calling him the next Josh Allen, but yeah, that's the pattern, and he had serious ups and downs for the better part of two years. Richardson is a multi-year project, and going on emotional highs and lows with him after every game probably isn't the best idea. 

I guess that’s my biggest gripe with Richardson. Huge project that Has accuracy problems and for all we know may never pan out. So many people/fans are willing/accepting to throw away the season so he can get experience. I wonder if the other players on the team feel that way? I for one would like to win now. This season. It is what it is though. But I really hope it’s not “multi-years”. I really think he needs to get some additional quarterback coaching.

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

To me, Stroud was definitely the best QB in the draft, and even I wasn't interested in making that kind of trade to get the #1 pick. Right now, I'd say it would have been worth it, but we all know how this works. 

And people were more split on Stroud and Young than they want to acknowledge, with what we presently know. Even people whose opinions I have great respect for, and continue to respect, had Young ahead of Stroud. So it's not like he was considered a surefire, future franchise QB, across the board. 

I had a long conversation with my wife about this yesterday. I’m as guilty as anybody of letting my expectations for him get too high. But the reality is that he is young… He’s 22 and he has less experience than any other quarterback in the league.

That said, he has shown us his ceiling. And it is absolutely beautiful. The guy can do things that other people can’t. It’s as simple as that. Our ability to develop him or not will determine our success the next 10+ years. But we will need to be patient. I would be completely fine with him following the same trajectory as Josh Allen. Give us more of the highs from last week, and minimize some of the lows, and we can still turn this into a respectable season for evaluation.

That said, our D is my primary focus. I think the offense will fond a rhythm by the end of the year. Downs will be back, which I truly believe will make the raw stats and completion % increase. But if we don’t get our defense figured out, it’s becoming an unwatchable team. I’m genuinely baffled. I thought our defensive line was going to be one of the best in the league. But what we have put out on the field the last two weeks has been an embarrassment… i’ve decided that this is going to be a year where I focus more on individual development from a few players rather than worrying about the end result.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, csmopar said:

So let the record show that I was not at the time of the draft a fan of picking Anthony Richardson.

that said, after attending training camp last year, I can see the potential and why the Colts chose him. So I have warmed up to him. 

however, I thought id put out what I’ve seen thru two games thus far. Take it for what it’s worth, which it little. Just my opinion.

stats are easily available so I’m not gonna post all those, just general observations.

the Bad:

Timing is not down with most of his receivers. 

short and medium range accuracy still needs a big improvement.

The interceptions, not counting the end of the game today, have all been because he’s stared down or decided where he was going with the ball without seeing the defender. 

Hand offs were a big problem today with the two fumbles. 

the good:

his ability to bounce back after a mistake. 

his pressure escaping ability. Our OL has been getting abused (again wth) and he’s got defenders in his face it seems in every drop back.

long range accuracy. 

running to make a play vs running just to run first like Lamar. This is the part that most worried me coming out of the draft. 

his arm strength. He has 2 of the top 5 longest catches in the next gen stat era and both were over 60 yards.

conclusion:

AR in an interview last offseason stated he wanted to work more on being a pocket passer vs a run first QB that everyone had him pegged as. I think this is part of the reason we have seen the play calling manner that we have seen.  Flacco being brought it strengthens that theory in my opinion. If and this is a big IF, AR can develop that part of his game, he’ll be nearly unstoppable barring health. But he’s got a long ways to go. 

heading into this season, I’ve said multiple times that this is gonna be AR like a rookie all over again. He never got to have a full season so the game hasn’t slowed down for him yet. 

there’s gonna be huge swings in his performance but overall, I’ve seen enough so far that I’m not panicking over QB play…. Yet. 

Ya can't call him AR15 anymore. He wisely chose a different number to avoid scrutiny. 

10 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I had a long conversation with my wife about this yesterday. I’m as guilty as anybody of letting my expectations for him get too high. But the reality is that he is young… He’s 22 and he has less experience than any other quarterback in the league.

That said, he has shown us his ceiling. And it is absolutely beautiful. The guy can do things that other people can’t. It’s as simple as that. Our ability to develop him or not will determine our success the next 10+ years. But we will need to be patient. I would be completely fine with him following the same trajectory as Josh Allen. Give us more of the highs from last week, and minimize some of the lows, and we can still turn this into a respectable season for evaluation.

That said, our D is my primary focus. I think the offense will fond a rhythm by the end of the year. Downs will be back, which I truly believe will make the raw stats and completion % increase. But if we don’t get our defense figured out, it’s becoming an unwatchable team. I’m genuinely baffled. I thought our defensive line was going to be one of the best in the league. But what we have put out on the field the last two weeks has been an embarrassment… i’ve decided that this is going to be a year where I focus more on individual development from a few players rather than worrying about the end result.

It will help if the offense can stay on the girls longer. That should help out the defense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen had a much better explanation on Colts round table live tonight. It doesn’t fully explain it but this answer was much better.

Basically he said we had one good run to start the fourth. Then we didn’t get the ball back until there was 1030 left and we were back up so we needed to pass.

One of the huge issues here with the offense was the packers offense was on the field too long so it didn’t leave colts much time.

18 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I guess that’s my biggest gripe with Richardson. Huge project that Has accuracy problems and for all we know may never pan out. So many people/fans are willing/accepting to throw away the season so he can get experience. I wonder if the other players on the team feel that way? I for one would like to win now. This season. It is what it is though. But I really hope it’s not “multi-years”. I really think he needs to get some additional quarterback coaching.

The bolded is a misrepresentation of what I want. First, there are growing pains with any young QB. Second, I don't think the Colts have to throw away the season while Richardson develops.

And to be completely honest, IMO, Richardson is like the 6th most concerning thing on this team right now. In order, for me: 1) Run defense (this wouldn't have been on my list two weeks ago, that's how bad we've been so far); 2) Pass defense (was number 1 until yesterday); 3) Pass catching; 4) Tackling; 5) Offensive play calling (that 3rd and 1 is a great example). Only after that do I start talking about Richardson's performance. And by that point, we have to acknowledge the ridiculous number of dropped passes, and the questionable offensive gameplans so far, both of which have probably undermined the play of the raw, inexperienced QB.

The coaching thing is really annoying to me, because Steichen is supposed to be the reason why we should have hope that Richardson can be good in the NFL. He's supposed to be nurturing him, while maximizing his play making ability, both as a runner and a passer. So far this season, he's not doing a good job, IMO.

By the way, I agree that Richardson should continue to work with a QB coach. He has been, and I believe he'll continue to do so. But more than that, he needs live reps. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Giving Chicago three #1's perhaps plus wasn't an "easy" trade.

Stroud came in the league with a lot to prove. Today I would agree he has a good shot to play in a SB. But that is post draft. And we could be here 10 years from now with Stroud coming up short of a SB.

Today I am not seeing Richardson as a guy headed to a SB. Neither did anyone see it from Josh Allen after year one.

Give AR 5 years, 8 years, he absolutely could be a MVP. Probably for someone else haha! 

CAR had to come up from 9 to 1.  We would have to come up from 4 to 1.  Not close to the same price.

Actually, Stroud didn't have much to prove.  What he had left to prove he sort of did against UGA, where he improvised and answered a lot of questions.  If you want to say he had to prove he could throw better under duress or when his receivers were not wide open, I guess so, but that seems like normal stuff to prove for a QB coming from college to NFL level competition.

For some reason, the entire draft pundits were in love with Bryce Young, but IMO, he had more to prove about his game/traits translating to the NFL than did Stroud.

But Stroud scored way low on the trendiness...Mohomes-wannabe.... comparison because he was more of the pocket passer.  If a pundit said he liked a pocket passer best coming out of the draft, the pundit would be labeled as not being one of the cool kids,  LOL.   That's sort of been the draft atmosphere the past few years.

7 hours ago, Hark said:

AR is the least of my worries right now. He is a young, inexperienced QB trying to play in the NFL. He is going to flash athletic brilliance and follow it with absolutely awful play. To paraphrase Dennis Green, he is who we thought he is. I'm fine with what I have seen so far. I am far more concerned with the awful run defense so far, which was supposed to be a strength.

I was surprised, and disappointed.  But in the NFL, stuff happens. Forever burned in my brain is the Jags in 2006 collecting 375 rushing yards and a big win against the Colts. The only thing that was stopping Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew's running that day was the end zone line.

The 2006 Colts gave up over 100 yards or more every game in 2006. Coaches and players were able to clean it up in the playoffs and the Colts won the Superbowl that year.

NFL, stuff happens, and AR will be on a roller coaster. But I hold on to hope of his improvement with experience.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

This is what I wrote about him in February 2023:

Projection: I think it's the toughest projection so far. All the physical tools are on full display. He seems to have a good attitude and work ethic. However, the mechanics and accuracy are far from ideal. It's pretty obvious that he will struggle to run a full offense, but it shouldn't be hard to put together a limited package for him right away. Everyone is going to be talking about Jalen Hurts, and I see the appeal and the comparison makes sense -- good size, good physical tools (Richardson is bigger, stronger, has a better arm than Hurts), raw (Richardson is much more raw than Hurts was). But it's important to acknowledge that most NFL prospects don't improve enough to overcome their biggest flaws at the next level. Still, you can't teach the stuff that Richardson has, yet, he can get better at mechanics, accuracy, processing, etc. It's just not a given. He's a very risky prospect. He might be a better Josh Allen comp than Will Levis.

I've been pretty careful about keeping my expectations tempered with him, all along. What's frustrating me now is the way other things seem to be breaking around him, which will make his development more difficult.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Solid84 said:

He has almost no experience. He needs the reps and it’s going to be really ugly at times. 

Touch and timing. Chemistry with his receivers. Trusting what he sees. All of that will take time and because AR has such limited experience it’ll take a lot of time. 

Before the season started I said this isn’t the Colts’ year. That we shouldn’t expect much. I very much stand by that. This is about getting AR ready for the NFL.

The biggest issue so far has been the rest of the team not stepping up. Why are people blaming AR when players on their 2nd or 3rd contracts are playing like amateurs? They don’t look prepared. 

Since he needs reps, he didn’t get many in either of the per seasons. 

21 hours ago, csmopar said:

AR in an interview last offseason stated he wanted to work more on being a pocket passer vs a run first QB that everyone had him pegged as. I think this is part of the reason we have seen the play calling manner that we have seen.

This. This is what I believe.

It is my opinion that the ‘weird’ play calling is in fact a deliberate strategy to train Richardson to become an accomplished pocket QB. He has to play like this now so he can learn it. It ain’t gonna learn itself.

It seems to me that Steichen (with direction from Ballard?) is scripting situations for Richardson that are outside of his comfort zone. As has been repeatedly commented on, AR is all potential. He has no history. He only has potential. Loads of it. Perhaps they are sacrificing his present in order to develop this potential so he has a future.

…But Lester, that don’t make no sense. Why would they sabotage the games this year? Don’t they want to win games? I’m not suggesting they are okay with losing. I think the games are still winnable (and so do they); while at the same time, they are scripting Richardson’s lesson plans. That is, IF the defense shows up. AND THAT is the problem. Who would have guessed that run defense would be a problem for this team, this year? Not me. 

If the running success of our two opponents so far this year had been only half of what it has been. Not great, but half; this team would be 2-0, even while Richardson experiments in Steichen’s QB boot camp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t like the pick when it was made, would have gone lb, dt, or trade down and see what qb drops in the draft. You just don’t take that raw of a qb talent that high in the draft, it’s just not a smart thing to do. I thought he should have been playing more in the preseason to get experience, didn’t happen. I thought he should be picking Joe Flacco’s brain on the sidelines in the preseason, didn’t happen. I hope I’m wrong, but I have a bad feeling about him being a good nfl qb. Other starting qb’s have learned sitting on the bench a couple years behind a good qb, I don’t see why he can’t also. I would play Flacco and make the playoffs!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I didn’t like the pick when it was made, would have gone lb, dt, or trade down and see what qb drops in the draft. You just don’t take that raw of a qb talent that high in the draft, it’s just not a smart thing to do. I thought he should have been playing more in the preseason to get experience, didn’t happen. I thought he should be picking Joe Flacco’s brain on the sidelines in the preseason, didn’t happen. I hope I’m wrong, but I have a bad feeling about him being a good nfl qb. Other starting qb’s have learned sitting on the bench a couple years behind a good qb, I don’t see why he can’t also. I would play Flacco and make the playoffs!

Flacco would be 0-2 also.

I don’t understand fan fiction like AR should be picking Flacco’s brain.  None of us have any idea whether he is or isn’t. Him and Flacco could spend hours in the QB room.  Who knows.

1 minute ago, Nate! said:

Flacco would be 0-2 also.

I don’t understand fan fiction like AR should be picking Flacco’s brain.  None of us have any idea whether he is or isn’t. Him and Flacco could spend hours in the QB room.  Who knows.

Too many take stock in what Flacco did for like 5-6 games off the couch. There’s a reason he was at home and not in the league last season until the Browns had 0 other options. People forget the Jets and Broncos version of Flacco…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did you guys see this from the titans HC on Mayo man. Ha ha. It could be worse for colts.

That's good for the coach.  There seems to be an unwritten rule that coaches can't/won't call out specific players and throw them under the bus.  But public humiliation can actually be a great motivator, especially corralling someone who might otherwise do extreme things.  He didn't call out his opinion of Levis the man, he said Levis did stupid things, which is obvious when a million people see the same thing

But, the benefit for TEN is that if Levis can figure out to just hold the ball and accept getting tackled, they have a QB that can throw NFL passes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

He should've moved up in the draft and took Stroud then instead of letting one of the qbs drop to him because that's not AR's game. I'm so sick of Ballard and the yearly non factor of this team. Regular prime time games are a thing of the past under this arrogant gm whose accomplished absolutely nothing with the shoe except reward "his" guys deserving or not (based on difference making abilities) with new contracts. Too many JAG types.

By no means in this a championship roster or even close to one. Take away the legit excuse of dealing with AR's growing pains what do we really have after EIGHT years? A weak d-line with only one stud (Buck) that was traded for and not drafted. An even weaker secondary that teams are bypassing on because they can simply run it down our throats. Meh type linebackers that were already suspect in coverage now look very avg when being run at directly. All this comes under the watchful eye of a "nice guy" dc that has led this defense to back to back seasons of being ranked 28th league wise in points allowed. Every opposing qb (backup or not) has a chance against this group.

The o-line is middle of the pack at best. We have a room full of TEs yet none are dynamic or special. Whose JT"s backup? Sermon? Good luck with that. We have a 40 yr old backup qb in Flacco who in his last game a season ago looked god awful mirroring his poor play of previous seasons which led to his retirement in the first place but I guess Ballard is counting on the Cinderella version of Joe that led the Browns to a playoff berth after sitting on the couch in retirement. We also still have the limited Sam Ehlinger on roster as qb3 who according to Shannon Sharpe after his start against the Pats a couple of seasons ago "couldn't play dead in a horror movie" but hey he knows the playbook according to Ballard. Lol. As always in Ballard we trust!!!

You sir have shined a very bright light on a very sorry and dim state of affairs of this football team. Every time I get started doing this things get combative and I get banned by Nadine. I'm learning to keep my temper and I can no longer have my way with folks like I did on the football field. Old habits die hard. Road rage still gets me out of the car once in a while. I'm Getting old but not dead yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

You do if he isn’t responding to nurturing and coddling.

Fair enough. I don’t know the context. Maybe he’s ignoring the coaching. 

It’s shocking how two rookie head coaches are already publicly calling out their 2nd year QBs in Young and Levis just 2 games into the season. 

Times are different I guess. It’s a win now leave and absolutely Not For Long. 

I think there’s a difference between coddling and good leadership and constructive criticism. I was always trained to praise in public and criticize in private. 

• Thanks 1