Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama

MTC

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get Dennard, Norman or Minnifield later, we're the winners of the draft. I'm surprised Tommy Streeter is still there maybe we can get him too.

Agreed, any of those corners and I would be ecstatic. Would rather have Marvin Jones over Streeter but I don't think we need another reciever at this point. Billy WInn would look good as a 3-4 DE as well.

Polian jjust said on Espn that he would not have picked Chapman. All I have to say is thank goodness he is out with the Colts, and working on tv. But he did admit that chapman fits for the new scheme. So basically Polian just said he did not care of stopping the run? That Is why we sucked at the run defense?

Agreed, any of those corners and I would be ecstatic. Would rather have Marvin Jones over Streeter but I don't think we need another reciever at this point. Billy WInn would look good as a 3-4 DE as well.

I'm all for depth, but I have to figure now that the Colts will have Cory Redding as one end and will probably move Nevis to the other end as far as 3-4 DEs go. They may keep Freeney as an end, but personally, I think he'd be way better as a pass rushing OLB.

If we get Dennard, Norman or Minnifield later, we're the winners of the draft. I'm surprised Tommy Streeter is still there maybe we can get him too.

Yeah I think CB should be addressed next. I like Dennard and Minnifield but don't know anything about Norman other than the fact he was brought in for workouts with the team so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the pick. I also like DeQuan Menzie, Leonard Johnson and Robert Blanton as well. Menzie was over-shadowed quite a bit imo by playing alongside Kirkpatrick. However, I watched a lot of Alabama games this past year and Menzie's name was called...a lot and for making plays, not for getting beat so I think he'd be a solid pickup. Blanton might be a better zone corner than man corner but Pagano would be the one to decide that. I think he can probably play both though. Johnson is a very solid man corner but my problem with him is he's only 5'9". He did do a great job on Justin Blackmon though when Iowa State played OSU.

I was never really sold on Dennard and the recent cop fight incident doesn't help. I think I'd pass on him. I do like Minnifield though. I wouldn't mind getting Malik Jackson too from Tennessee. I think he could be a quality DE in our 3 man front and either DE or DT in a 4 man front. I think he could be very J.J. Watt'ish.

So we have 5 picks left...in my ideal world that would be:

Minnifield/Blanton/Menzie/Norman

Malik Jackson

Jean-Baptiste/Kitchen

Markelle Martin (or a 2nd CB)

OG/OT

That would really put the final touches on what's turning out to be a great draft. I know I was very skeptical yesterday but I'll admit I was having a knee-jerk reaction to the lack of any picks on defense. However we got a great value in Chapman and there are a lot of quality players left.

Polian jjust said on Espn that he would not have picked Chapman. All I have to say is thank goodness he is out with the Colts, and working on tv. But he did admit that chapman fits for the new scheme. So basically Polian just said he did not care of stopping the run?

He said they wouldn't have picked a player like Chapman for the scheme they ran. You don't see too many 316 lb DTs in Cover 2 defenses.

Serious positives!

Very strong, difficult to move off the line of scrimmage, occupies double teams, a true space eater; natural girth and thick trunk, a nightmare to block one-on-one... Stays low and wins most battles for leverage; strong, violent hands with explosive hand punch, solid leg drive, keeps his legs moving, very good stack and shed type player; can push the pocket, can bull rush and overpower blockers when pass rushing... Wide base and low center of gravity, solid anchor, doesn't give up an inch of ground, is too stout to be moved around, base strength is phenomenal; eats up blockers, collapses running lanes, keeps linebackers clean and allows them to roam free into the backfield... Lunch-pail type player, is smart and works hard, plays with an impressive motor; anticipates snap count, above average recognition skills, plays through the whistle, responds well to coaching and spends a lot of time in the video room... Is more of a drag-down tackler than a fundamental wrap-up and drive through tackler, tosses ball carriers to the ground with ease, can also deliver some explosive hits... Steady force in the middle, the anchor of Alabama's defense, has experience in both three and four-man fronts under Nick Saban; fifth-year senior has played in 53 games, including 25 career starts... Saban might be the best coach in the country for developing interior defensive line prospects, including Terrence Cody and Marcell Dareus in the past two drafts... Rising prospect in a weak nose tackle class, classic zero-gap NT prospect who fits in a 3-4 but is also a better athlete than people realize, has an underrated first step for his size and moves well for a 300+ pounder, could play defensive tackle in a 4-3 as well; has a low ceiling but reasonably high floor... Nicknamed 'The Incredible Hulk' by his teammates, maximum bench press total of close to 580 pounds and 630 pound squat, according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang... Played through a torn ACL and meniscus suffered October 1 vs. Florida en route to Alabama's 14th national championship.

Read more at Sideline Scouting: http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/dt/josh-chapman/#ixzz1tMQTkWOY

Wow just read this guy has a 580 lb bench press, what a machine

Chapman was ranked as the strongest player in college football last year by....some site that I read who did a study on strongest players. Sorry I can't remember the site or provide a link. I was surprised he ranked above Dontari Poe, who was ranked as #2 but after watching Chapman as much as I did this past year, I can't argue with him being ranked strongest.

Polian jjust said on Espn that he would not have picked Chapman. All I have to say is thank goodness he is out with the Colts, and working on tv. But he did admit that chapman fits for the new scheme. So basically Polian just said he did not care of stopping the run? That Is why we sucked at the run defense?

Polian has endorced several players that I really didn't care for. Can't remember specific names but I remember several times thinking "I"m glad he's gone if he's endorsing this guy" during his spots. The biggest thing I've agreed with that he's said was the 2nd round being too early to take a chance on Janoris Jenkins. I do think the Rams were one of the few teams who could afford to take that chance due to all the extra picks they acquired in their trades but for most teams I think 2nd round would be too early. Other than that though I tend to roll my eyes the most when Polian is the one talking. lol

Exactly, it is great later round pick and could turn out to be our starter at one point. If not you could move him, and he could be our 3-4 DE

Chapman can't play DE in a 3-4 or a 4-3. He's an inside guy, that's it. He'll rotate inside and learn. DT is one of the toughest transitions to the NFL, as handwork, leverage, most techniques at the college level are not at all what NFL teams require. He'll be inside, NT and DT as the Colts transition.

A very positive player that played at an elite level of college football. Certainly you can't argue he made the job of those Alabama LB's WAY WAY easier. He played hurt which means he will sacrifice for the team. He knows the position and what is expected of him. Won't need coached up alot. Can play DT or NT. So he can slide over if we go 4-3. Everyone at this position in the draft has question marks....his is will he be ready for the start of the season...no problem for me. Best player available and an exciting pick. If we had questions about our FO...I think this put them at ease. This isn't a guy we are worried if he can be productive...he is a known commodity with a history of production at the most ELITE team/conference in NCAA.

he's a beast of a NT. what he lacks in weight he makes up in pure strength. he was the starting NT for bama, so im guessing he's pretty good. bad thing is, think I said I would shoot a bottle rocket out of my butt if we get him, DOH!!

A very positive player that played at an elite level of college football. Certainly you can't argue he made the job of those Alabama LB's WAY WAY easier. He played hurt which means he will sacrifice for the team. He knows the position and what is expected of him. Won't need coached up alot. Can play DT or NT. So he can slide over if we go 4-3. Everyone at this position in the draft has question marks....his is will he be ready for the start of the season...no problem for me. Best player available and an exciting pick. If we had questions about our FO...I think this put them at ease. This isn't a guy we are worried if he can be productive...he is a known commodity with a history of production at the most ELITE team/conference in NCAA.

Well said! There is nothing to not like about this pick.

Judging by the video this is one heck of a pick up... This draft has been pretty interesting so far, and I have no complaints. I don't think the rebuilding process is going to take as long as some have been speculating. Next year will be huge.