Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Irsay sell now?

csmopar

14 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

Really hate that owners did this. Private equity ownership is getting out of control and has no place in sports. 

Hope Jim keeps the team family owned. 

In his big press conference today, commish Goodell made it clear the equity firms will have ZERO input into anything.  

The reason for them to buy in at just 10 percent is prestige.  “Yes, we are part owners of the Colts!”    But that’s it.   By new NFL rule they are prohibited from giving any input to anything. 

Hope this helps.  

• Thanks 4

This seems like a move for the Davis family and the raiders in Vegas. They are the least rich franchise if I remember right and could probably use the capital with having to pay so many head coaches after firing them. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In his big press conference today, commish Goodell made it clear the equity firms will have ZERO input into anything.  

The reason for them to buy in at just 10 percent is prestige.  “Yes, we are part owners of the Colts!”    But that’s it.   By new NFL rule they are prohibited from giving any input to anything. 

Hope this helps.  

Yeah but then it expands over time. 

This is the problem. People minimize that initial transaction that creates the snowball that expands as it goes down the road. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

Yeah but then it expands over time. 

This is the problem. People minimize that initial transaction that creates the snowball that expands as it goes down the road. 

Exactly what I was thinking. First it's 10 percent, in 10 years 20% and so on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

This seems like a move for the Davis family and the raiders in Vegas. They are the least rich franchise if I remember right and could probably use the capital with having to pay so many head coaches after firing them. 

The Raiders are doing pretty well now. 

1 hour ago, ColtsGermany said:

I think it will move even faster than that. Within 25 years there will be an investment firm own a majority stake of a team. 

These firms are very dangerous and way too powerful. They should be closely regulated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think it will move even faster than that. Within 25 years there will be an investment firm own a majority stake of a team. 

These firms are very dangerous and way too powerful. They should be closely regulated.

Exactly. I’m all for capitalism but this is gonna be bad bad bad for the NFL.

no investment firm dumping 650,000,000 dollars(10 percent of a 6.5 billion dollar franchise) into something is not going to want to have zero say in anything for long. It’ll start with ticket prices and concession prices, they’ll go up faster than ever before. 

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Exactly. I’m all for capitalism but this is gonna be bad bad bad for the NFL.

no investment firm dumping 650,000,000 dollars(10 percent of a 6.5 billion dollar franchise) into something is not going to want to have zero say in anything for long. It’ll start with ticket prices and concession prices, they’ll go up faster than ever before. 

I hope not.  Private equity doesn't know how to do anything other than drain every last cent out of a business.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I hope not.  Private equity doesn't know how to do anything other than drain every last cent out of a business.

It’s starting to happen in my little town. One by one they’re buying out houses, tearing them down and building McMansions in their place… I’ll be priced out of my own house soon. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s starting to happen in my little town. One by one they’re buying out houses, tearing them down and building McMansions in their place… I’ll be priced out of my own house soon. 

Same here

43 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Don't get me started on what they're doing to the housing market

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hope this helps.  

Sort of like a next level corporate sponsorship?

48 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Don't get me started on what they're doing to the housing market

Yeah let’s not. My new career is Construction Project Management. I could go on for DAYS on this topic haha. Remember the Andrew Luck mega thread? My posts would be longer than that thread haha 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

I don't think that's the legacy Jim wants to leave to his daughters. He's been grooming them to take total control of the team when he's ready to.

• Like 3

Be grateful we have an old school stubborn owner. He wouldn’t let anyone outside of the family (and maybe Peyton one day) own a part of the team.

This could mean disaster for a team like the Packers who are already a publicly owned team.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

I think death will take Jim out quite soon.  Who gets the team next is the big topic because his family does not have the deep pockets it needs to stay in this game with the Estate issues.  

He is only 65.   Also,  I'm sure the estate issues have long been handled.