Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Ballard not improving his Secondary?

In other news, apparently Quandre Diggs wanted to go to Tennessee, both to play for new DC Dennard Wilson, and also wanted to rejoin old Seattle teammate Jamal Adams.

Just because Diggs went somewhere else doesn't necessarily mean that Ballard wasn't interested in him, or didn't make an offer to him.  It could also mean that Diggs had his own plans.

https://www.nfl.com/news/quandre-diggs-wanted-to-play-for-titans-dc-dennard-wilson

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

In other news, apparently Quandre Diggs wanted to go to Tennessee, both to play for new DC Dennard Wilson, and also wanted to rejoin old Seattle teammate Jamal Adams.

Just because Diggs went somewhere else doesn't necessarily mean that Ballard wasn't interested in him, or didn't make an offer to him.  It could also mean that Diggs had his own plans.

https://www.nfl.com/news/quandre-diggs-wanted-to-play-for-titans-dc-dennard-wilson

but I thought this was like the video game where I could get anybody I wanted?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He caught the 75 yard TD pass to start the game that was the balk of it.

Caught 8/8 for 120 yards after that too. It was a dominant performance. Reminded me of what TY used to do to the Texans. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Caught 8/8 for 120 yards after that too. It was a dominant performance. Reminded me of what TY used to do to the Texans. 

Yeah, he owned us I hate to say it. That game still makes me sick. I was ready to talk smack, we were so close, then couldn't get a 4th and 1 SMH.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Last year's defense benefitted from playing many mediocre offenses and quarterbacks, which is, IMHO, a big reason the defense looked solid in some ways, although we did allow the third most points in the NFL. Although I have some concerns, I can't wait to see how much the young guys improve and how much difference a better pass rush will make against a tougher schedule of offenses and QBs this season (and, yes, I should probably just shut up about the young players until we actually see them play : ). 

Agree. It's been harped on considerably (probably by me), but I think the impact of how last year's schedule played out is an underrated factor. 

There was a commonality in when they accrued certain counting stats. In the case of sacks, 35 came in 6 games...against some combination of injured/bad OLs and/or rookie/bad QBs. They had 16 sacks in the other 11 games. This disproportion was especially true at ER, as Paye/Dayo/Ebukam has nearly 3/4 of their sacks in those same 6 games. Love to see them tee off on good matchups, but that inconsistency is an issue. Hopefully, Latu helps fix that.

Then you have the pass defense with INTs. On the season, 9/17 games (more than half) were against the following QBs: Tannehill, PJ Walker, Mac Jones, rookie Bryce Young, Mitch Trubisky, Jake Browning, Taylor Heinecke, AOC and rookie Wil Levis. Only two of those QBs are even NFL starters any more, and both clearly struggled as rookies.

For the season, the Colts had 15 INTs...and 11 came in those 9 games, with 4 in the other 8 games. So they had 1.2 ints/game in 9 games and .5 ints/game in the other 8.

Of those 15 INTs, Blackmon and Moore had 7. And 6/7 ints were in those 9 games against bad QBs. (Blackmon and Moore missed some games in 2022, but they only had ONE combined INT in the same defense).

When you look at the upcoming schedule and projected opponent QBs, it is a large difference in not only volume of good QBs, but overall quality as well. And I think that's a pretty big wildcard for the defense.

Even with those 9 games, the Colts defense still managed to be #28 in ppg allowed. So not are there concerns about what we saw last year, but there could also be a a false sense of stability for even the entrenched players too. 

I want to see the young guys grow and improve, but I think it's a risky bet, given what we know so far.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rolltide_gocolts said:

Here’s the thing I’m noticing in moments like this….We talked about Ballard not having the stones to make a move up in the draft, when in fact he did!!  I’m sure Ballard has tried to get a deal done with Simmons, reality is it takes 2 to tango… and players don’t like the idea of playing for the colts right now :dunno:.. 

I see two possible outcomes right now:

1. The Colts sign Simmons (yay)

2. The Saints sign Simmons and Holder tweets that the Colts were aggressive as they could be, but Simmons just really loves etoufee.

1 hour ago, tfunky14 said:

Do the Colts really need to sign a safety?  Pretty deep with these guys now unless an injury of course

image.png.969bea9ab51feb30b257ab95fbaf250b.png

Here's a possible reason for why the group is questionable:

Colts PFF 2023 Coverage grade (min. 40 coverage snaps)

CB Kenny Moore II 79.3

S Julian Blackmon 72.6

CB Dallis Flowers 70.6

LB Segun Olubi 66.9

CB Julius Brents 64.5

S Nick Cross 63.2

S Ronnie Harrison Jr. 61.9

S Rodney Thomas II 60.1

CB Chris Lammons 59.0

CB Jaylon Jones 57.3

LB Zaire Franklin 56.4

LB E.J. Speed 56.1

CB Darrell Baker Jr. 53.0

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/indianapolis-colts-pro-football-focus-grades-best-worst-2023/

100-90 Elite

89-85 Pro Bowler

84-70 Starter

69-60 Backup

59-0 Replaceable

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Agree. It's been harped on considerably (probably by me), but I think the impact of how last year's schedule played out is an underrated factor. 

There was a commonality in when they accrued certain counting stats. In the case of sacks, 35 came in 6 games...against some combination of injured/bad OLs and/or rookie/bad QBs. They had 16 sacks in the other 11 games. This disproportion was especially true at ER, as Paye/Dayo/Ebukam has nearly 3/4 of their sacks in those same 6 games. Love to see them tee off on good matchups, but that inconsistency is an issue. Hopefully, Latu helps fix that.

Then you have the pass defense with INTs. On the season, 9/17 games (more than half) were against the following QBs: Tannehill, PJ Walker, Mac Jones, rookie Bryce Young, Mitch Trubisky, Jake Browning, Taylor Heinecke, AOC and rookie Wil Levis. Only two of those QBs are even NFL starters any more, and both clearly struggled as rookies.

For the season, the Colts had 15 INTs...and 11 came in those 9 games, with 4 in the other 8 games. So they had 1.2 ints/game in 9 games and .5 ints/game in the other 8.

Of those 15 INTs, Blackmon and Moore had 7. And 6/7 ints were in those 9 games against bad QBs. (Blackmon and Moore missed some games in 2022, but they only had ONE combined INT in the same defense).

When you look at the upcoming schedule and projected opponent QBs, it is a large difference in not only volume of good QBs, but overall quality as well. And I think that's a pretty big wildcard for the defense.

Even with those 9 games, the Colts defense still managed to be #28 in ppg allowed. So not are there concerns about what we saw last year, but there could also be a a false sense of stability for even the entrenched players too. 

I want to see the young guys grow and improve, but I think it's a risky bet, given what we know so far.

ballard must think his draft pick cbs are above average talent

• Like 1

This is from another thread. by   @w87r     Sorry didnt know how to get it over to this thread.

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - $24,879,509

OtC - $25,930,219

Not replying to you out w87r  just using your knowledge as a point 

Maybe. Ballard needs to hold on to some of this money in case he needs to sign someone due to injury.    There would be a lot of *ing if God Forbid a Olineman or someone else were to go down.     

I don't know.    I just know I am not losing sleep on this like some of you are.   

RELAX!!!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AKB said:

no, that's not fair to say. he should always be evaluated like everyone else. 
with that being said, you have to account for things out of his control. such as the personnel placed in front of him. 

good talent on line --> ranked 5th in sacks
bad talent in secondary ---> ranked 29th-30th in most categories.

it sure isn't rocket science. and no, I wasn't on PFF sites when I found that article, I was on a different colts site where it was being discussed. you sure do make a lot of assumptions about me. 

as for the non-answer remark, I have answered most things you've responded to, and going further into most topics will divulge into semantics and cyclical banter while we split hairs about what word means. just not interested in it. like I said earlier, I engage with the conversation so far as I feel like it has something to offer. you seem to disagree with almost everything I say, or find a way to complain about anything that is presented. so with that being said I think I've exhausted the point to you. if you want to ignore it and make the priority something else, that's alright. 

I agree, we've been splitting hairs, and this back and forth has been far more contentious than I intended for it to be. My initial responses to you were to say a) I don't think a top tier safety would take this defense to top ten status, I think it would take a top tier pass rush to do that; and b) I don't think Gus Bradley's rank on PFF's list is meaningful. (The PFF thing isn't even important, IMO.)

I still think discussing how our defensive coordinator should be evaluated is a legitimate topic, because I'm not sure what he brings to the table if the output is primarily determined by personnel and circumstance. That's been the foundation of my argument in this discussion.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For some people, PFF is the bible and all end to football. Why don't more people use eye test and come to the conclusion they really believe like I do rather than rely on a system that is flawed.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Posters in here like Superman, NewColtsFan, W87r, Jared, and a few others, if they would ignore PFF and just go by their eye test on who is bad, average, good, or great, I would trust them more to be honest. 

When have you ever seen me relying on PFF to determine what players are good or not? 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

When have you ever seen me relying on PFF to determine what players are good or not? 

I think this poster is saying they trust you more than PFF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lester said:

I think this poster is saying they trust you more than PFF.

You might be right... but I think there's some of both in there. I just don't think my guy 2006 has really absorbed my actual opinion of PFF. 

Just now, Superman said:

You might be right... but I think there's some of both in there. I just don't think my guy 2006 has really absorbed my actual opinion of PFF. 

What is your opinion of PFF?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

I think PFF is better than the average fans eyeball test

Probably so, but sometimes understanding PFF is like trying to understand a different language. I don't appreciate their metrics as much as I should

I used to like Football Outsiders because they made more sense to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I haven't with you but many do. I just brought your name up because I would trust your judgement over PFF. It was more of a compliment toward you, at least I thought.

• Like 3

Pff is good at some positions and terrible at others. They don’t know the actual plays called (it’s assumptions but a nfl play book isn’t as cut and dry as madden) nor do they truly know assignments. D-Line and O-line and RB I think PFF is pretty solid and most of the time I can take it as gospel. Secondary and linebackers I’ll trust my eyes over their ranking all day long. I do pay for a sub because they do have good info but once again to be taken with a grain of salt. Their grades should lead you to watching tape, not to base an opinion off of.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Do the Colts really need to sign a safety?  Pretty deep with these guys now unless an injury of course

image.png.969bea9ab51feb30b257ab95fbaf250b.png

Deep? Lol only 4 of those safeties are making the team you need more than 4 during the season