Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Samson Ebukam tore his Achilles

CR91

56 minutes ago, AKB said:

not as big of a loss because we have Latu, and Paye is on the up. 

While I hear what you’re saying, this is still a huge loss…if for no other reason than that it limits DL rotational options that Bradley and Partridge have been hoping to exploit.

When you mostly stick with 4 up front to generate pressure, you need all the depth you can get.

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Very interesting. Thank you for that. Do you know if he was better rushing inside or outside?

No unfortunately, but he was far more productive from the left side compared to the right side.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

While I hear what you’re saying, this is still a huge loss…if for no other reason than that it limits DL rotational options that Bradley and Partridge have been hoping to exploit.

When you mostly stick with 4 up front to generate pressure, you need all the depth you can get.

I agree, to a certain extent. Any time you remove an 8.5 sack rusher from a team in the NFL you are going to be missing something. 

However, we have his replacement on the roster already between Latu and Dayo. Of course, it is not good, but I do not foresee this lowering our sack total or pressure rate compared to last year. 

I guess the bolded is my main point

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IndyEV said:

Do we blame this on the new turf???🤔

Not sure if you're joking, but this happened away from the colts facility in Grand park

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not sure if you're joking, but this happened away from the colts facility in Grand park

Half joking! I didn’t know if they had the new turf installed up there just for the Colts!?🤷🏻‍♂️

Was worried this might be the case when I heard "calf" and the amount of pain he was in 

Those calf injuries seem to turn to Achilles after further inspection, more and more these days 

Big loss, hope he is able to bounce back, but this could put his 2025  contract year in jeopardy. 

Good thing that is amongst our deepest positions. Well, if Dayo can get back from his "calf" injury? Going to need one these young guys to step up.

Latu

Paye 

Lewis

Dayo(inj?)

Land

Titus

Avery

Should be interesting to see what the young guys can do on the back end of the position. I like land and Titus seems like he might fit the part, hopefully a year working in system has helped them both 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Big loss based on how he produced last year. However, Latu will have to step up now. Hopefully, there’s a vet out there they can also sign for depth.

Carl Lawson

Rasheem Green

Yannick Ngakoue

Frank Clark

Markus Golden

Shaq Lawson

Marquis Haynes

Justin Hollins

Justin Houston

Melvin Ingram

Wouldn't mind a couple of these guys but I am intrigued as to what Land and Titus can bring this year. Hopefully Dayo can get back soon, or we definitely need to go shopping. Either via trade or FA.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Dayo had 620 total snaps on the Dline.

101 inside and the rest outside. Had most of his snaps at LEO (263) and then REO (134).

Thanks, 84.   This is exactly what I was looking for.   Appreciate the good 411.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Well crap. There went our depth in a big way. How bad is Dayo is the question now

I haven’t heard anything that would suggest bad.  In fact, I think there’s a post in this thread saying Dayo was riding an exercise bike looking fine.  

Hope that helps.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

Carl Lawson

Rasheem Green

Yannick Ngakoue

Frank Clark

Markus Golden

Shaq Lawson

Marquis Haynes

Justin Hollins

Justin Houston

Melvin Ingram

Wouldn't mind a couple of these guys but I am intrigued as to what Land and Titus can bring this year. Hopefully Dayo can get back soon, or we definitely need to go shopping. Either via trade or FA.

Welcome back!  Hope you enjoyed a few weeks taken off.   The 24 grind stone begins.   Your work is appreciated!   

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, w87r said:

Carl Lawson

Rasheem Green

Yannick Ngakoue

Frank Clark

Markus Golden

Shaq Lawson

Marquis Haynes

Justin Hollins

Justin Houston

Melvin Ingram

Some people will not like me saying this, but I’d give Yannick a call. Already knows the scheme because Bradley is still here, and is a proven sack guy. I understand his run defense isn’t up to par, but for a DPR role, he’s perfect. You have Dayo when you need to play the run.

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Some people will not like me saying this, but I’d give Yannick a call. Already knows the scheme because Bradley is still here, and is a proven sack guy. I understand his run defense isn’t up to par, but for a DPR role, he’s perfect. You have Dayo when you need to play the run.

4 sacks on 592 snaps last season while being terrible at stopping the run . Not sure he is a better option then Lewis at 4th DE or offers more then Leo/ Land winner in camp as 5th option at this point in his career.

23 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think we need to be careful.  We might have to sign a FS.

1 hour ago, IndyEV said:

Half joking! I didn’t know if they had the new turf installed up there just for the Colts!?🤷🏻‍♂️

All teams practice on natural grass during camp. Even teams that have home stadiums that have artificial turf. 

Natural grass is less wear and tear on the players, and there are less injuries on natural grass. IMO, all teams should be forced to have natural grass for their home field. 99.9% of NFL players share the same sentiment.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Carl Lawson

Rasheem Green

Yannick Ngakoue

Frank Clark

Markus Golden

Shaq Lawson

Marquis Haynes

Justin Hollins

Justin Houston

Melvin Ingram

Also curious to see if Leo or Land can bring anything.  But I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Yannick.  He knows the system and is a decent pass rusher.

Losing Samson is big.  They want to bring the pass rush in waves.   Proven guys with different moves make all the difference.  If Adabawore is really as fast as they think, maybe try him out on the outside too?

Supposedly Kwitty is looking real good, but it's hard to tell anything until they start wearing pads.  Right now there's nothing for the O linemen to grab like they would in a real game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AKB said:

I think Paye and Ebukam played opposites?

They do but Paye can play on that side if needed. I am guessing that Dayo and Latu will compete for the starting spot though. Plus I forgot Lewis, who can play there as well.

6 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

They do but Paye can play on that side if needed. I am guessing that Dayo and Latu will compete for the starting spot though. Plus I forgot Lewis, who can play there as well.

I don’t think Lewis will be the starter. I think he is best as a rotational player. But I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think Lewis will be the starter. I think he is best as a rotational player. But I could be wrong.

I didn't write that, I wrote that he can play there, like Paye.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Well crap. There went our depth in a big way. How bad is Dayo is the question now

In the mic'd up video from the other day with Coach Partridge, he was pretty shocked at how good Dayo looked in drills and even said it after one of Dayo's reps.

I think we'll see Dayo play Samson's early reps, then slide inside on passing downs with Latu taking his DE spot. We'll probably see more Latu sprinkled in, but I think its important to remember that Gus doesn't usually give new players significant playing time until he really trusts them, even if they seem to flash (Rodgers for example). I think we'll see him in the rotation, but think we'll see more vets initially.

The other thing that has to be considered is that what made Samson such a good DE for us is that he was productive as a pass rusher, but was also an amazing run defender.

• Like 7

Just now, Shive said:

In the mic'd up video from the other day with Coach Partridge, he was pretty shocked at how good Dayo looked in drills and even said it after one of Dayo's reps.

I think we'll see Dayo play Samson's early reps, then slide inside on passing downs with Latu taking his DE spot. We'll probably see more Latu sprinkled in, but I think its important to remember that Gus doesn't usually give new players significant playing time until he really trusts them, even if they seem to flash (Rodgers for example). I think we'll see him in the rotation, but think we'll see more vets initially.

The other thing that has to be considered is that what made Samson such a good DE for us is that he was productive as a pass rusher, but was also an amazing run defender.

I am of the same belief, but it is early. Several Scouts had Dayo rated as their best defensive lineman in the '21 draft pre injury.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KB said:

How do we see the DE room looking now?

Latu - Lewis

Paye - Dayo

Maybe Titus Leo or Isaiah Land to fill it out. Glad the draft shook out like it did.

I think Leo or Land are likely to step up as additional depth pieces. Colts like Land quite a bit and it's been really bugging me to know what we have in Leo. I've literally never heard hardly any reporter speak on him and he is a draft pick.

• Like 2

With Samson's injury, I think it opens the door wide for Latu to start day one.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want him simply named as the starter because of where he was picked.  I want him to earn the spot by beating the guy in front of him.  I think he'll beat the guy in front of him.

4 hours ago, KB said:

How do we see the DE room looking now?

Latu - Lewis

Paye - Dayo

Maybe Titus Leo or Isaiah Land to fill it out. Glad the draft shook out like it did.

How about them all in together on a critical 3rd and long.

We have to find that 5th end because of the long season. Land has hopefully added some lbs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I agree. I think we're going to see a lot more of Dayo or Lewis than Latu this season.

Losing Samson for the season is a big loss for the Dline. He was our best DE last season in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

4 sacks on 592 snaps last season while being terrible at stopping the run . Not sure he is a better option then Lewis at 4th DE or offers more then Leo/ Land winner in camp as 5th option at this point in his career.

I hear you. But for what it’s worth, he’s always produced In Bradley’s scheme. He plays that LEO role that is of upmost importance in a Bradley defense. Remember this is also more for depth. To me the logical reaction is to put Latu out there way more than they anticipated. You also have Dayo who is coming off a career year, but had a lot of clean up/effort sacks. I mean if he’s your 5th guy you n the rotation, that’s not terrible. Put him on every 3rd and long too. If he’s on the field the same time as Kwity Paye, and Latu, that could be a favorable matchup for us.

• Like 1

Also given the fact that he signed a 3 year deal with us, and will be 30 by the time next year’s training camp comes around, I wonder if he’ll actually be back. Really sucks for a guy who had the best year of his career here.

Knowing how Ballard operates he might draft another Edge rusher high next year too.

28 minutes ago, w87r said:

I had this thought as well.

His athleticism is great but he struggled against the run...doesn't mean he didn't work on it though. Hopefully he continues to ascend.

• Thanks 1

Land and Leo have an opportunity now.  Leo looked good last pre-season and the Colts definitely like Land. 

No thanks on Ngakoue. His pass rush win rate was poor for the Colts.  Most of his sacks were clean up sacks and he’s down right brutal against the run.  He’s not the answer to more pressure. 

Bad break for Samson.  Might be the last time we see him as a Colt. The team has an out from his contract after this season.  If Latu balls out and they want to bring back Dayo, do the math. 

37 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also given the fact that he signed a 3 year deal with us, and will be 30 by the time next year’s training camp comes around, I wonder if he’ll actually be back. Really sucks for a guy who had the best year of his career here.

Knowing how Ballard operates he might draft another Edge rusher high next year too.

Huh?  You think Ebukum might not be back?   I think the only way that happens is if the surgery goes badly, or he re-injures himself in rehab.   

Otherwise, I think he’s close to a lock to be back.  Ballard signed him to a very favorable contract, he had a GREAT first season and he should be ready by next summer.   I don’t see turning 30 as an issue.  

• Like 1