Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Behind the Colts - Draft Episode (5/1)

I watched the old one back.

Pretty sure when Jamie was talking about Simpson in his conversation with Ballard.

Ballard ask Chris (West coast guy) if he was beating the drum for the guy they were talking about.

He said his 2 guys were Latu and Gould. So decent chance he was referring to Latu.

The Scout Anthony, the one Ballard was grilling about just saying the guy had unique talent. He was scouting AD Mitchell, I believe? 

Can definitely see the 3 star athlete be about goncalves, and an another OL.

Or I think it could of been in reference to Turner and Latu?

All this means nothing just figured I would re watch it with the knowledge of what actually happened, and see what I came up.

Can't wait till 7.

• Like 2

Latu seems like he will give his heart and soul to this city. Really hope this guy stays healthy and is an absolute game wrecker on the level of Freeney/Mathis. He definitely seems like he has the drive.

AD has all the talent and definitely a swagger/attitude/chip. Personally, I love it and can't wait to see what he does over his rookie contract.

Loved the two o-line picks. Both of those guys seem like they will fit the room and bolster the line. That group is going to have some massive energy that's for damn sure.

Both of the corners will be interesting. Excited to see if they can add depth to an already young but skilled room. Both players seem like excellent humans and hard workers. Was nice to see their families going nuts with them.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This was really good. To see the interviews with Mitchell and Latu before the draft was cool. Probably one of the best shows they have done. Mitchell telling Ballard he will make him look like a genius was pretty cool.

It really was good. Great watch.

Probably was one of the best.

• Like 4

There For You Sympathy GIF

That's awesome watching these guys dreams come true. Very cool to have it on film.

I'm pumped up, AR stays healthy this year and we start rolling... I'm pumped.. Lol

• Like 5

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I want to know what team Ballard made that call to to trade up. He didn’t deny calling AZ when asked about Harrison.

I think he made multiple attempts.

1st, to see about  trading up to #3/#4 for Harrison.

Then after not being able to do that.

2nd to trade up to 8-9 range for Odunze.

I don't think we were ever in on trading up for Bowers. 

By the time it got to #13(post QB picks), they knew they had Latu or Bowers(if they were interested in taking him at #15, instead of defense).

• Like 4

Awesome to watch! This was a very good in-depth video of our draft picks. Love Latu, the kid sounds confident, has a great attitude, and looks like he is ready to dominate. Mitchell has a chip on his shoulder and I think he'll be our no2 right away. Goncalves seems like a nice guy to hang out with and willing to learn. I like the others on day 3 as well.

This is going to be a great draft class IMO. This team is so well put together, and it was nice to see a 36-minute video. I made a comment a few days ago on how I thought we traded ahead of the Seahawks to get Goncalves cause they needed a G. Ballard said the same thing here. He was on his game during the draft. 

Very fun video! Worth the wait!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

No Morocco Brown this year. Did he leave?

He was in some of the videos. Just in the background. Row behind Ballard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, w87r said:

By the time it got to #13(post QB picks), they knew they had Latu or Bowers(if they were interested in taking him at #15, instead of defense).

I agree on the trade up calls but don't think they were ever serious about getting up to 4 for MHJ. Don't think the expense would be a real consideration. I think from the first episode it was Bowers they referenced thinking he might be there. Not sure what that means the choice would have been. Also, Ballard saying Mitchell was too talented to pass up means it's not like they don't have concerns too, just thought they had to at that point 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

I've read and watched so much on this and it's a bit jumbled in my smallish mind. What I came to the conclusion after connecting all the dots was the following. They tried to trade to 3 and NE had decided to take QB # 3. Arizona was dead set on MH Jr and didn't consider trading out of 4. Then they tried a couple of teams , I think SD and NY with the obvious target Nabors. From what I understand they didn't seem to want to give up the capital to draft Odunze. Pretty sure they made offers around 10-12 to move up for Bowers . I wish I could remember the sources I read but according to those that spoke on this , it was Odunze , not Bowers that they did not target. 

For those still wondering about Latu instead of Dallas Turner I’d offer this.  

Latu:    6’5” and 260

Turner:  6’4” and 245

The Colts already have a player Turners size, Ebukam.  The extra inch and especially the extra 15 pounds for Latu are important for the Colts no matter who the DC is long term.  

• Like 2

Contrary to popular belief, I was excited about these lineman!  I think within a year or two they will find their place on the line!  Also, I'm very excited about Latu and Mitchell.  I think we have a very good year this year.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts already have a player Turners size, Ebukam.  The extra inch and especially the extra 15 pounds for Latu are important for the Colts no matter who the DC is long term.  

That is a very good point, and if I am not mistaken, Turner profiled more as a 3/4 OLB by many scouts.

• Like 1

Great episode!  Gotta couple notes here I took:

- confirms we were indeed looking to trade up.  My gut tells me it was definitely for one of the big 3 WRs or bowers based off Ballard remark “Let’s try and if it doesn’t happen, we’ll let the draft play itself out.” (Paraphrased).  

- they were interested in Latu but didn’t think he’d be there.  I don’t think anyone thought he’d be there at 15 lol.  Don’t know where Latu was at on our board but he was obviously toward the top.  Also can tell he was toward the top based on Ballard reaction “we got the best pass rusher in the entire draft”

- I’m guessing WR was definitely on the top of our board.  Ballard mentioned wanting speed at the position.  AD falling into his lap couldn’t have played out any better.  Also, good to see Reggie happy about his new toys in AD and Gould.  

- No side remarks or mentions of any corners.  I’m going to stick with what I said before the draft and that corner was never on our radar.  What also makes me believe that more than ever is that we had the option to choose between the top 2 corners and even in later rounds other corners and we chose not to.  I’ve said it before, Ballard is straightforward.  If he says “I like what we have” he’s not drafting it unless there’s a player that you can’t miss on.  If he says “this draft is deep in ___” you can bet that’s what he has his eyes on and will most likely double dip.  He said he likes our corners, didn’t draft one.  He said this draft was deep in receivers and OL, we drafted 2 of each.

• Like 8

Some things that made an impression on me:

- we did try to move up. I wonder for who? Last year Arizona put up a similar video after the draft, I would love to see if they show the Colts calling them for 4 this year... 

- we DID meet with Laiatu. Seems like it was at the combine, probably one of those quick 15 minute ones and he probably had tons of them and didn't remember this specific one. I love that as a throwaway question as he was walking out they asked him what he's going to run... he said in the 4.6s ... and he went out and did it. There is something about a prospect who promises something and then hours later goes out and delivers on that promise. Especially in athletic sense since he wasn't one of those prospects that had athleticism as his calling card. On the rest of the video... I like him... he looks like a genuine guy who loves every step of this process and enjoys it. Love how excited Partridge was too... what a vote of confidence for him as a new coach not just on this team but in the league - give him the best pass-rusher in the draft to work with. 

- everything in the bit about AD Mitchell was about his talent. "Way too talented to pass up here"... Every single word we got from scouts, coaches, FO members... everything was about his talent. Not a word about the character/attitude stuff. Not one. Now it's obvious to me they probably cut off some of that stuff, but interesting to see what the Colts want to portray about the player. So yeah... with AD it's all about the talent. For whatever it's worth, he looked like a pretty chill dude in the interview they showed. Part of the rumors that were floating around was that his interview with one team was so bad that within the first minute of the interview they knew they wouldn't be drafting him. I guess we will never know what exactly all that was about. In the grand scheme of things... it's all on him now... just like with Stroud, none of the noise will matter if he comes out and works his tail off and shuts up every naysayer in the world. 

- Matt Goncalvez seems to be the favorite player of the Colts in this draft. Kind of like Khari was a few years ago. "culture fit" is probably the best descriptor here from the video. They love his personality and they love his attitude. One of the best calls/reactions to getting drafted you will ever see/hear... kind of reminiscent with the Downs one last year. I don't know where exactly he will fit on the field... but he will fit somewhere. They will give him chances... he has all the good will of that coaching staff and that FO. 

- Bortolini - impressed in the workout. IMO he will be understudy to Kelly... the new Pinter I guess? Probably won't start right away, but he has clear role IMO.

- They seem very optimistic about Carlies ability to translate to linebacker. Looking at some of those highlights they showed... he does look like EJ Speed or Shaq or Okereke... with his speed in pursuit. They mentioned him potentially covering TEs. I can see it. 

- Loved seeing Ballard giving Jamie Moore the chance to make the call to the guy he's been fighting for throughout this whole draft season(Jaylin Simpson). Good gesture by Ballard, bet it was a great feeling for Moore. 

- In general I love all those calls and videos of the reactions by the prospects. Seeing young prospects achieve one of the big goals of their lives and starting their paths to even bigger things, is awesome. Love it. 

- "That's not a prank call, is it?" :D 

• Like 8

They seemed really high on Goncalves. Obviously they traded up for him, but sometimes in past draft videos, you see Ballard satisfied to make a pick just because he is highest on their board. But with Goncalves, its clear they were really pro-active in in ensure they took him. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, stitches said:

Love how excited Partridge was too... what a vote of confidence for him as a new coach not just on this team but in the league - give him the best pass-rusher in the draft to work with. 

Partridge just seems like players will love playing for him.

The little I have saw from him, just gives me more hope that he will take the DL to the next level with his coaching.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Latu's addition also tells me that Gus is not doggedly adhering to his historical "Cover-3 Leo" defense.  Latu is not a Leo.  He's not the undersized wide-9 OLB type playing in a 4-3.  He's a bona fide 4-3 DE.  I'm expecting Gus to even further move away from his historical base defense.  (I never believed that he was going to cling to it come h3ll or high water.  That his coverages last year were simplified perforce, due to the inexperience of the guys he had on the field.)  I'm excited to see what we look like defensively with the new guys inserted.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I want to know what team Ballard made that call to to trade up. He didn’t deny calling AZ when asked about Harrison.

Someone reported the Colts and another team were calling everyone and the calls didn't stop until Bowers was picked. Can't find the tweet though.

14 hours ago, stitches said:

That was great!

Really looking forward to camp and the preseason!

• Like 2

What an awesome behind the scenes look. I just love Charlie Partridge, so happy he's on our staff. He's going to be such an influence for Latu, I'm telling you guys. 

And Mitchell is going to do well working and learning from Reggie and Michael Pittman. Those two know how to bring the attitude to the field and turn it into fuel and efficiency. 

A little sad to not see Jim there. I know it must be killing him to not be with his beloved team. The daughters seem very genuine and eager to step into leadership though. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Someone reported the Colts and another team were calling everyone and the calls didn't stop until Bowers was picked. Can't find the tweet though.

That was great!

Really looking forward to camp and the preseason!

If true that means like most of us know there was  4 pass catchers colts thought was a big upgrade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, w87r said:

Partridge just seems like players will love playing for him.

The little I have saw from him, just gives me more hope that he will take the DL to the next level with his coaching.

He and Gus were so hyped for Latu! 

Steichen knew Partridge loved the pick they way he talked when he entered their room!

• Like 1

Hey...where can I see this at?  How do I watch on "X"?  anywhere else it can be seen? How can I pull it up on my tv?  I'm not a big app person but I have Roku.  Appreciate you helping me out! Thanks!

17 hours ago, w87r said:

It really was good. Great watch.

Probably was one of the best.

I have a different feeling about Latu compared to Bjoern Werner or Kwity Paye, and Coach Partridge is a big part of it plus getting the 1st pass rusher on the board is another big part of it. 

Funny how Bjoern Werner announced a pick from Germany, lol. :) 

Very impressively done show!!! For all those who said AD didn't interview well, I don't know what they were talking about. 

• Like 1