Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the Next Pick drops Tonight!

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

The 'I think there's a shot he's there at #15' comment? Yeah, you could be right. And in light of Ballard's 'we're gonna trade back' comment, that's interesting to me.

I find it interesting as well, because Ballard puts out there what he wants out there. 

So what did that mean?

He literally it out like that on purpose.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

They are arguing about Worthy I think... about his weight... one of the scouts said "that's why we have strength staff and resources"... Ballard doesn't believe he can get much bigger.... 10-12 pounds... that's pretty much in line with what you hope he will gain... 

I think so to worthy also seeks contact at times which is silly seeing  a wr that small trying to  run over someone 

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

I find it interesting as well, because Ballard puts out there what he wants out there. 

So what did that mean?

He literally it out like that on purpose.

So it appears they have their sights on a top 10 prospect who could fall because of the quarterbacks being drafted.  Which is the way it should be actually. That striking distance comment is hard to ignore.  Some say Ballard tells you what he is going to do.  Trading back is popular because he has done it so often.  This is the first year that I recall him even hinting at moving up.  Who knows.  Thursday is going to be interesting that’s for sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So it appears they have their sights on a top 10 prospect who could fall because of the quarterbacks being drafted.  Which is the way it should be actually. That striking distance comment is hard to ignore.  Some say Ballard tells you what he is going to do.  Trading back is popular because he has done it so often.  This is the first year that I recall him even hinting at moving up.  Who knows.  Thursday is going to be interesting that’s for sure.

Since his Press Conference, I’ve seen several articles sum it up by saying their takeaway is that Ballard said there’s almost no chance he’s moving up.  Too expensive.  

Seems people hear what they want to hear. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

I don't about all of you, but I was fascinated by that toaster looking apparatus on Todd's desk that looked like it had fire coming out of it.......

The burning toaster - every scout got one, to commemorate the play of our secondary in 2023.

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In a year when the Colts were in serious need of a QB and in position to draft one, Ballard came up in front of the media 3 days before the draft and straight up said something to the effect of "That guy everybody in media is talking about(Levis), we are not taking him". I don't know why you think the Colts are trying to throw us off the scent this year specifically. They are not trying to give us away the pick(thus the vagueness), but I also don't really think they are trying to mislead anybody. This usually becomes specifically apparent in retrospect after the draft when you look back at a lot of those quotes in the videos they release pre-draft... and they were talking precisely about players we ended up drafting, which they reveal in the post-draft video by extending some of those quotes(they did that with AR last year for example). 

And about why people are doing it(guessing who they are talking about) - because it is fun. Nobody has the illusion that we will be right in our guesses 100% of the time... or anywhere close really... but it's still fun. And it's part of why the Colts release those videos with those quotes - to create engagement with the fanbase... part of which, and the entirety of which that 70 pages thread and whole board is about in the offseason. is to guess who the Colts might take and how they might feel about specific prospects. :dunno:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

I don't about all of you, but I was fascinated by that toaster looking apparatus on Todd's desk that looked like it had fire coming out of it.......

I was too hahaha 

6 hours ago, #12. said:

I'm starting to understand why Ed Dodds hasn't gotten a job.

Why’s that

6 hours ago, #12. said:

I'm starting to understand why Ed Dodds hasn't gotten a job.

You think the Ed Dodds you see in edited clips here is the same as the Ed Dodds who interviews with teams?   I don’t know you or anyone would think that?   

He’s very much respected around the NFL which is why multiple teams ask to interview with them most every year. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Only question that comes to my feeble mind after watching this - what's up the GM and hats?  

:hat:

Great minds think alike...I mentioned this on another thread. Ballard is either getting hair plugs or is having a mid life crisis. Hair is long in the back and always has a hat on....even at St Elmos

13 hours ago, Superman said:

The 'I think there's a shot he's there at #15' comment? Yeah, you could be right. And in light of Ballard's 'we're gonna trade back' comment, that's interesting to me.

I think Bowers would be the only (realistic) reason we stay at 15. I feel pretty certain if he's not there we trade back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Great minds think alike...I mentioned this on another thread. Ballard is either getting hair plugs or is having a mid life crisis. Hair is long in the back and always has a hat on....even at St Elmos

The St. Elmos thing was the most interesting.  Not sure I saw many, if any, other folks wearing ball caps in that scene.  I used to wear hats all the time, almost never now.  I just shave the skull.  LOLOL

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I think Bowers would be the only (realistic) reason we stay at 15. I feel pretty certain if he's not there we trade back.

Yeah, It's either him or... another player they think highly of. It's hard to say from the outside. Might be Mitchell at CB? Might be one of the OLinemen? I feel like the biggest chance we get a blue chipper(on our board) to slip to us is probably an OT, because there are a lot of them that are highly ranked and there doesn't seem to be general consensus about them so it's possible the beauty in our eyes is still there at 15. Can you imagine this though... Mitchell and Thomas are there, a few of the EDGEs are there for us to pick and Ballard goes and picks... Troy Fautanu or Taliese Fuaga? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I thought of Dejean.

This is just me but I would be hugely disappointed if the Colts went with DeJean at any point in round 1. He projects best at safety in the NFL and that position has devalued over the last few years. 

10 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The St. Elmos thing was the most interesting.  Not sure I saw many, if any, other folks wearing ball caps in that scene.  I used to wear hats all the time, almost never now.  I just shave the skull.  LOLOL

I've worn a hat at St Elmos the times we came out for a game....but Ballard has a little more status 

17 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I would add Odunze and Turner as well. Both players would be great additions as well as Bowers. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW, the comment "never pass on a great player even if it isn't a need" ... again.. can it be Byron Murphy(doubt it)? Can it be an OLineman? 

Maybe

Byron Murphy / J Newton are BOTH fantastic talents

Not my first choice , but I would be happy with EITHER if they chose one

This board would need an ambulance if we went OL at 15

If we trade back to 25, JP Johnson is a REAL solid option as well

My first choice is still to take a DE / WR in round 1, but I wouldnt be surprised if we go another way

49 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would add Odunze and Turner as well. Both players would be great additions as well as Bowers. 

I think the point is Bowers has a chance to be there at 15 while Odense and Turner are consensus  to go around picks 7-9.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yeah, It's either him or... another player they think highly of. It's hard to say from the outside. Might be Mitchell at CB? Might be one of the OLinemen? I feel like the biggest chance we get a blue chipper(on our board) to slip to us is probably an OT, because there are a lot of them that are highly ranked and there doesn't seem to be general consensus about them so it's possible the beauty in our eyes is still there at 15. Can you imagine this though... Mitchell and Thomas are there, a few of the EDGEs are there for us to pick and Ballard goes and picks... Troy Fautanu or Taliese Fuaga? 

I'd be very disappointed if we pick an Olineman at 15. If one was to fall to us, use it as trade bait instead.

54 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't think there's a chance Odunze is there at 15 and I'd rather have Latu over Turner, lol. Just my opinion of course.

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW, the comment "never pass on a great player even if it isn't a need" ... again.. can it be Byron Murphy(doubt it)? Can it be an OLineman? 

Yeah @w87r suggested the "5 athlete, 3 athlete" could be Murphy and Newton. I think there's a good chance Murphy is on our radar and I'd not be disappointed if we pick him up. Imagine a passing down: Move DeFo to REO, Murphy at 3T and Edukam at LEO. FEAST!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

My first reaction was Brock Bowers when he made that comments.  Also, Ballard seemed to make a positive comments about a player when they were watching the Texas defense...could be Bryon Murphy DT...  i know some people think he is the best defensive player in the draft.  

Lately, people have been saying Murphy has the best chance to be a surprise top 10 pick and his last 6 games have drawn comparisons to Quinnen Williams and Jalen Carter.

I thought of Brian Thomas. Hmmmm

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since his Press Conference, I’ve seen several articles sum it up by saying their takeaway is that Ballard said there’s almost no chance he’s moving up.  Too expensive.  

Seems people hear what they want to hear. 

Well it’s expensive to move up into the top five.  He said in his presser moving up for Harrison is a “fantasy “.  I would guess he’s referring to pick 4 or there about.   That’s expensive.  I don’t consider he meant that high when he mentioned striking distance.  For me striking distance starts at pick 9.   Probably costing our 2nd round pick as well.  Let’s face it the only 2nd rd picks where Ballard acquired a great player with were Leonard and Taylor.  Leonard in the 30’s and Taylor pick 41.  We would be giving up 46 with a chance to get elite.  Pick 46 would probably get good not even great if he used it.  I’m hoping he tries for greatness this time and stays or moves up.  Please don’t trade back.  That’s all I ask.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

Why’s that

Dobbs doesn't strike me as being team president/GM material, and the fact that there has been little movement, little evolution in Ballard's approach in 8 years, tells me Dobbs is more of a yes man, a rubber stamp man.  Other teams can see that.  If Dobbs, or anyone, were actually challenging Ballard from time to time, you might see a change in approach occasionally.

53 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well it’s expensive to move up into the top five.  He said in his presser moving up for Harrison is a “fantasy “.  I would guess he’s referring to pick 4 or there about.   That’s expensive.  I don’t consider he meant that high when he mentioned striking distance.  For me striking distance starts at pick 9.   Probably costing our 2nd round pick as well.  Let’s face it the only 2nd rd picks where Ballard acquired a great player with were Leonard and Taylor.  Leonard in the 30’s and Taylor pick 41.  We would be giving up 46 with a chance to get elite.  Pick 46 would probably get good not even great if he used it.  I’m hoping he tries for greatness this time and stays or moves up.  Please don’t trade back.  That’s all I ask.

That's fair.  And a good answer.  I don’t think it’ll happen, but I think it’s fair and that’s all I want.   Appreciate it.  :thmup:

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, #12. said:

Dobbs doesn't strike me as being team president/GM material, and the fact that there has been little movement, little evolution in Ballard's approach in 8 years, tells me Dobbs is more of a yes man, a rubber stamp man.  Other teams can see that.  If Dobbs, or anyone, were actually challenging Ballard from time to time, you might see a change in approach occasionally.

It’s Dodds, not dobbs. 

I’m don’t think he’s a yes man, by any means. He did challenge them last year on AR. Early and often. He said he wasn’t a fan at all. But he came along the more they scouted him and the more he watched him personally. He understood what their vision was and bought into the concept of AR. My guess is, probably after they landed Steichen. Might not have with a different coach to pair him with. 

I think he’s not landed a gm job- because he’s a tough character. He’s not exactly the best behind a microphone. As a gm, I wonder if he would be difficult to work for because of his intensity. We can all disagree on Ballard as a general manager, but one thing that is common knowledge is that people do like working for and with him. He’s elevated a lot of people in the front office. 

16 hours ago, stitches said:

They are arguing about Worthy I think... about his weight... one of the scouts said "that's why we have strength staff and resources"... Ballard doesn't believe he can get much bigger.... 10-12 pounds... that's pretty much in line with what you hope he will gain... 

I think they would worry more about Wiggins than Worthy.

There will be at least a half dozen great prospects to pick from. So Ballard has advised us he is looking for a good trade back opportunity in the 19-21 range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I think they would worry more about Wiggins than Worthy.

Yeah, that's another option I was thinking about... With Wiggins it might be more important and more impactful for him to gain some strength and weight... 

I don't see how anyone could connect the dots to any particular player from that video. 

The only thing I figured is the money they saved from the Buckner restructure was to pay that St.Elmos bill.  Holy cow

• Like 1

nice

Edit:

Also both the trades mentioned here pretty much followed the draft value chart.

Talking trading up to #38 from #44 and offering a 4th

Difference in #38 and #44 is 60pts(avg 4th round value)

Ended up trading up to #41 from #44 for a 5th.

Difference in #41 and #44 is 30pts(avg 5th round value)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stitches said:

Question….

Why does it have to be specific to anyone this year?   Why can’t it just be a general rule that CB tries to follow?   A core value, if you will.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question….

Why does it have to be specific to anyone this year?   Why can’t it just be a general rule that CB tries to follow?   A core value, if you will.  

Because both Byron Murphy and numerous OL that could be there for us at 15 have the talent to be that "great player you don't miss on even if you don't have the need" in this specific draft. This doesn't mean it's not a core value... we are just talking about this specific draft so we are looking for players who might fit that description and surprise us... 

I get it that you don't like when people here try to read stuff into what Ballard is saying, but again... just let people have fun with it. It's not that serious. That's part of the appeal of discussions like this - trying to read the mind of the decisionmakers of your team before the draft, guessing what they might do... what they would never do.

You know what... we've been getting pretty good at it actually. Last year for example, in Dr.T's contest... there were numerous people who did extremely well... talking about guessing 4-5 picks right. Do you know how hard that is? Out of 1000+ players in the draft to guess about 40-50% of your team's picks? And this is without any inside information... just following your team and knowing their tendencies and yes... sometimes reading stuff into what they say and applying apparent core principles they have to the specific draft. 

49 minutes ago, stitches said:

Because both Byron Murphy and numerous OL that could be there for us at 15 have the talent to be that "great player you don't miss on even if you don't have the need" in this specific draft. This doesn't mean it's not a core value... we are just talking about this specific draft so we are looking for players who might fit that description and surprise us... 

I get it that you don't like when people here try to read stuff into what Ballard is saying, but again... just let people have fun with it. It's not that serious. That's part of the appeal of discussions like this - trying to read the mind of the decisionmakers of your team before the draft, guessing what they might do... what they would never do.

You know what... we've been getting pretty good at it actually. Last year for example, in Dr.T's contest... there were numerous people who did extremely well... talking about guessing 4-5 picks right. Do you know how hard that is? Out of 1000+ players in the draft to guess about 40-50% of your team's picks? And this is without any inside information... just following your team and knowing their tendencies and yes... sometimes reading stuff into what they say and applying apparent core principles they have to the specific draft. 

To be clear, I have no issue with anyone trying to read into what Ballard says.   None. 

My comment is ONLY regarding the Behind the Pick video series.  Thats all, only that.   Otherwise, I join with everyone here trying to figure what Ballard is saying and is there anything to read between the lines every time CB speaks. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BProland85 said:

This is just me but I would be hugely disappointed if the Colts went with DeJean at any point in round 1. He projects best at safety in the NFL and that position has devalued over the last few years. 

He projects best as a Cover-3 CB which is what the Colts play.   His RAS score was tops for the CB’s.   The kid is an absolute baller no matter where you play him on defense or ST’s. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 7:26 PM, stitches said:

they could’ve been talking about a lot of prospects lol I don’t think it’s specifically about Worthy. Nate Wiggins comes to mind as a very slim prospect also. 

18 hours ago, BProland85 said:

What he “projects” and what he would play are two completely different things. Idk why people sleep on DeJean, he’s going to surprise a lot of people wherever he ends up going. The kid is a DAWG.

• Thanks 1