Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

From YardBarker

D is better than F   

AFC South 

HOUSTON TEXANS | Grade: B+ | Key additions: Edge Danielle Hunter, LB Azeez Al-Shaair | Swapping out Devin Singletary, who left in free agency to the Giants, for Mixon, who the Texans acquired in a trade with Cincinnati, is an upgrade at running back. So is Hunter replacing Jonathan Greenard at edge-rusher. It’s clear second-year head coach DeMeco Ryans wants a more physical team, and Houston is well on its way after upgrading at RB and on the front seven.

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS | Grade: D | Key additions: QB Joe Flacco, WR Michael Pittman Jr. (re-signed), CB Kenny Moore (re-signed) | Indianapolis has been relatively quiet, with its biggest moves coming from re-signing its own free agents. Flacco is a nice backup plan should Anthony Richardson get injured again, but other than that, the Colts have sat idle while watching the rest of the division load up.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS | Grade: B+ | Key additions: DT Arik Armstead, WR Gabe Davis, C Mitch Morse, Edge Josh Allen (re-signed) | Armstead is a Pro Bowl-caliber defensive tackle and exactly what Jacksonville needed to shore up its defensive line. Davis replaces Calvin Ridley, who left for division rival Tennessee, and Morse is a significant upgrade at center over Luke Fortner. 

TENNESSEE TITANS | Grade: A | Key additions: WR Calvin Ridley, RB Tony Pollard, CB Chidobe Awuzie, C Lloyd Cushenberry | The offense got more explosive with the additions of Ridley, a game-changer at WR, and Pollard, a solid bell-cow back and complementary backfield mate to Tyjae Spears. Awuzie is an instant upgrade at CB, one of Tennessee’s worst positions last season, and Cushenberry is an excellent get to bolster the offensive line. — Michael Gallagher

• Like 4

Fitting.  We’re essentially running it back with the same team but younger after the draft.  After Ballard blamed himself for the defense being so young.

i predict we’ll pick up some cheap vets that we’ll hope can come in and play well.  

Instead of using FA to sure up holes and put ourselves in position to go BPA, we’ve pigeon holed ourselves into either going DB or safety (in a class that’s said to be a BAD safety class)

idk what Ballard has up his sleeve, but can’t say I feel confident about our chances of even winning the south.  We’ll see.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

When your best new player is Flacco and you hope he never plays you aren’t going to grade high in free agency.  Championships aren’t won in March though.  

Exactly the reason for the post. And a D should be and F 

1 hour ago, Introspect said:

No mention of DT Raekwon Davis signing? This so called REPORT CARD is lacking. Seems author is less than thorough.

Is this a sarcastic take?

Be thankful he wasn't. If Davis was mentioned the Colts would have received an F.

For those who have this fascination with Davis, you will find out this guy is not all that. It really is a headscratcher signing. 

• Like 1

And for some reason Ballard will get a pass while the coach and AR will be the ones who feel the heat and are expected to win games against teams with more talent. I'm convinced now that Ballard knows how to identify the teams' short comings but has no idea how to acquire players to fix those short comings. He's too worried about the Lockeroom and what other players may think instead of understanding that our players will welcome players in that can help them win. This was a critical offseason for the entire franchise and Ballard sat idle and watched the rest of the division get better. Again, we will go into the season expecting our help to come from the draft and he just doesn't draft well enough for that to happen. After 7 years people, there is a pattern here that clearly doesn't work in today's NFL and if he didn't get aggressive this offseason, he never will. I'm done with the "my fault " crap after every season because he knows he won't be held accountable. I will always support the Colts but Ballard has to go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why YardBarker needs to be marginalized.  I guess if you don't like the merits behind what's being said, then discredit the speaker.   Forget who wrote it, look at the content and its pretty clear that every other AFC South team improved themselves. 

HOU simply added more solid pieces.

JAX:  I've felt that their defense was short a few pieces.  Armstead might give them their Buckner that makes playes and frees up Allen a little more, both then helping the secondary. Gates for Ridley...meh...no worse than a wash...probably stretches the field better.

TEN:  Their offensive personnel was so bad, Levis couldn't do anything except look for DHop when he wasn't being hurried.  And for Henry to stay effective in the NFL..he had to go the the one perfect team that could help him.  Ridley gives their O another option, the C helps to shore up the Oline, and Pollard is more versatile than Henry.  The CB was needed.   Unlike IND, TEN added pieces that directly helped the passing game on both sides of the ball.  If they can now get Joe Alt at LT, they would have improved offensive staff by 100% compared to last season, IMO.

• Like 4

Just now, DougDew said:

Not sure why YardBarker needs to be marginalized.  I guess if you don't like the merits behind what's being said, then discredit the speaker.   Forget who wrote it, look at the content and its pretty clear that every other AFC South team improved themselves. 

JAX:  I've felt that their defense was short a few pieces.  Armstead might give them their Buckner that makes playes and frees up Allen a little more, both then helping the secondary.

TEN:  Their offensive personnel was so bad, Levis couldn't do anything except look for DHop when he wasn't being hurried.  Ridley gives their O another option, the C helps to shore up the Oline, and Pollard is more versatile than Henry.  The CB was needed.   Unlike IND, TEN added pieces that directly helped the passing game on both sides of the ball.  If they can now get Joe Alt at LT, they would have improved offensive staff by 100% compared to last season, IMO.

and none of them have a chance to win the SB lmao 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

and none of them have a chance to win the SB lmao 

Really nothing to be confused about. Doug, you along with many told me all season going 9-8 and even winning the division would be a waste of time because we aren't true contenders. When all I wanted to see was a successful season being relevant. Well, neither is the other 3 teams in our division. If Houston played KC, Cincy with a healthy Burrow, or the Ravens again, they would get beat pretty easily in the playoffs. So would Jacksonville. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

JAX:  I've felt that their defense was short a few pieces.  Armstead might give them their Buckner that makes playes and frees up Allen a little more, both then helping the secondary. Gates for Ridley...meh...no worse than a wash...probably stretches the field better.

TEN:  Their offensive personnel was so bad, Levis couldn't do anything except look for DHop when he wasn't being hurried.  And for Henry to stay effective in the NFL..he had to go the the one perfect team that could help him.  Ridley gives their O another option, the C helps to shore up the Oline, and Pollard is more versatile than Henry.  The CB was needed.   Unlike IND, TEN added pieces that directly helped the passing game on both sides of the ball.  If they can now get Joe Alt at LT, they would have improved offensive staff by 100% compared to last season, IMO.

Since you asked the question, I’ll respond.   Why should YardBarker be marginalized?   

Because lots of these minor fringe “media websites” are run by very young people who I’d bet have not taken a journalism class.  Are too young to know much history about either the team or the person they’re covering.   So they might be angry or outraged at what Ballard is doing but may not know that this is somewhat typical for CB.   So there’s no context.   And often these are people who seem to value opinion over facts.  

A lot of these websites — not just yard barker — follow a click bait mentality, so the goal is to have a hot take because hot takes get reactions.   ESPN does a lot of this too, and it’s the part of ESPN that I dislike most because too many hot takes are nonsense. 

I think I’ve written enough to give you an idea.   I wouldn’t 100 percent discount or marginalize them, but I’d develop a very good filter to separate the occasional good from the very often bad. 

That’s my view. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since you asked the question, I’ll respond.   Why should YardBarker be marginalized?   

Because lots of these minor fringe “media websites” are run by very young people who I’d bet have not taken a journalism class.  Are too young to know much history about either the team or the person they’re covering.   So they might be angry or outraged at what Ballard is doing but may not know that this is somewhat typical for CB.   So there’s no context.   And often these are people who seem to value opinion over facts.  

A lot of these websites — not just yard barker — follow a click bait mentality, so the goal is to have a hot take because hot takes get reactions.   ESPN does a lot of this too, and it’s the part of ESPN that I dislike most because too many hot takes are nonsense. 

I think I’ve written enough to give you an idea.   I wouldn’t 100 percent discount or marginalize them, but I’d develop a very good filter to separate the occasional good from the very often bad. 

That’s my view. 

This is a good take of the social media landscape out there. But there is no question that the Colts are still in need at their biggest weaknesses: DB, pass rush and WR. The draft will help, over time, but not immediately. 
For ex., Ballard cannot just sit out the rest of FA and not deal with the safety mess. The Colts FS situation is abysmal. So I expect him to make a move there. 
But the rest of the division has improved while the Colts are treading water, so Yardbarker isn’t woofing up the wrong tree. 
Fingers crossed that there are some good moves to come pre draft. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s my view. 

I agree. I never heard of the Site until now. I could create a Site and call it Homer's grades and it would be just as legit as this website Happy Homer Simpson GIF

16 minutes ago, Hoose said:

This is a good take of the social media landscape out there. But there is no question that the Colts are still in need at their biggest weaknesses: DB, pass rush and WR. The draft will help, over time, but not immediately. 
For ex., Ballard cannot just sit out the rest of FA and not deal with the safety mess. The Colts FS situation is abysmal. So I expect him to make a move there. 
But the rest of the division has improved while the Colts are treading water, so Yardbarker isn’t woofing up the wrong tree. 
Fingers crossed that there are some good moves to come pre draft. 

Yeah….  I didn’t complain much over the overall Yadbarker story.   It wasn’t unreasonable.  Nothing major.  Par for the course.  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Not sure why YardBarker needs to be marginalized. 

In general I agree. Fans tend to associate the merits of an analyst(regardless of whether they work for a large media outlet or run their own site) by how their team is rated.

But I would disagree with one point of YardBarker's assessment. He's determined that being idle is equal to signing your own players and that's not correct at all. Idle would be if the Colts had signed no one, not even their own players. And if he is determining that being idle is not adding new players, it would mean that he ignores the benefits of continuity. 

None of us disagree that the team needs to improve in lots of areas, but I think that what @smittywerb said fits Ballard's pattern: he is going to go after cheaper vets later, especially once all the mad money from the cap spike runs out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavePSL said:

And for some reason Ballard will get a pass while the coach and AR will be the ones who feel the heat and are expected to win games against teams with more talent. I'm convinced now that Ballard knows how to identify the teams' short comings but has no idea how to acquire players to fix those short comings. He's too worried about the Lockeroom and what other players may think instead of understanding that our players will welcome players in that can help them win. This was a critical offseason for the entire franchise and Ballard sat idle and watched the rest of the division get better. Again, we will go into the season expecting our help to come from the draft and he just doesn't draft well enough for that to happen. After 7 years people, there is a pattern here that clearly doesn't work in today's NFL and if he didn't get aggressive this offseason, he never will. I'm done with the "my fault " crap after every season because he knows he won't be held accountable. I will always support the Colts but Ballard has to go.

I honestly think this will be his last year if this team struggles because of the lack of talent.  If Shane coaches his tail off once again and ar plays majority of the season and shows he’s not fluke…and do not look good, I definitely think irsay will show him the door.  

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

We don't know that. We only know the other teams have signed more players and more 'popular' players than we, the Colts, have. We cannot know, nobody can know, if they are now better teams for it.

That is Chris Ballard's point. It is a point he has made consistently. It is a core team building belief that he is very open about. That is: Adding a bunch of really good players, some in and some just past their primes, for more money than their existing team was willing to pay them; does not make them a sure thing (and he adds, they are usually not worth it). The teams who win Free Agency are almost never the teams that win the post season.

Chris Ballard believes and Bill Polian believed (so that makes me have faith that Jim Irsay also believes) that true, sustainable, repeatable, predictable, and long term success only comes from adding in the draft and coaching them well. Then reward them and keep them.

I think he will add a piece or two yet, but he is not going to (now or ever) build this team with famous players from other teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, DavePSL said:

I give no slack for Ballard but in this case I dont think going heavy in this free agency market would have been right. For one, with the cap spike, teams had a lot of money to throw around and, for example purposes only, getting into a bidding war for someone like Curtis Samuel was not the right move. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah….  I didn’t complain much over the overall Yadbarker story.   It wasn’t unreasonable.  Nothing major.  Par for the course.  

My complaint would be that they're handing out grades for their offseason free agent work when the offseason free agent signing time isn't complete yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lester said:

We don't know that. We only know the other teams have signed more players and more 'popular' players than we, the Colts, have. We cannot know, nobody can know, if they are now better teams for it.

That is Chris Ballard's point. It is a point he has made consistently. It is a core team building belief that he is very open about. That is: Adding a bunch of really good players, some in and some just past their primes, for more money than their existing team was willing to pay them; does not make them a sure thing (and he adds, they are usually not worth it). The teams who win Free Agency are almost never the teams that win the post season.

Chris Ballard believes and Bill Polian believed (so that makes me have faith that Jim Irsay also believes) that true, sustainable, repeatable, predictable, and long term success only comes from adding in the draft and coaching them well. Then reward them and keep them.

I think he will add a piece or two yet, but he is not going to (now or ever) build this team with famous players from other teams.

These naysayers have a entrenched outlook that our recent and future draft picks will not pan out good enough to make us a SB contender. 

There were many really good playoff teams built the same way Ballard and Dodds scout teams pursued players. 

We have to hit big the next couple drafts to go on a multi-year SB pursuit.

And AR has to be available. It's just life in the NFL. 

• Like 1

Listen, I get it fans want to defend our guy in Ballard but how many years are we going to keep making excuses and listen to Ballard talk about his mistakes after the fact? 7 years of this nonsense is enough, especially when now it will reflect on our coach, who I consider to be a very good coach and our potential stud of a QB. Make no mistake about it, Ballard's mistakes don't hurt us fans other than our emotions, it hurts the players and sets them up to fail and it may become a culture where players view the franchise as a team that's not serious about winning and that is a reputation no franchise wants. My point, this is way more than Ballard pissing off fans, its wrecking the franchise and setting up players to fail. You're a free agent, would you want to play for this franchise? Did Luck see something 5 years ago and we are now just realizing it? We can all stick our head in the sand AGAIN, but I'm telling you right now, no way do we compete in our own division with the talent we currently have...NO WAY!!! Ballard will move on and get another job like Grigson did and leave this franchise a mess and that's why fans should be *. No other fan base would sit by idle and continue to back this nonsense for 7 years unless they just don't care.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

...especially when now it will reflect on our coach, who I consider to be a very good coach and our potential stud of a QB...

Where; and how (I dare ask) did we come by that very good coach and the potential stud of a QB?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

My complaint would be that they're handing out grades for their offseason free agent work when the offseason free agent signing time isn't complete yet.

I agree….  But I get outvoted every year…. Most media outlets do some kind of grading or winner and losers each year.  Even the Big ones that I prefer.   It’s just the world we live in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lester said:

Exactly.  This has been a Colts philosophical thing for as long as I can remember through multiple GMs.  Clearly it is an approach that Irsay is on board with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavePSL said:

Listen, I get it fans want to defend our guy in Ballard but how many years are we going to keep making excuses and listen to Ballard talk about his mistakes after the fact? 7 years of this nonsense is enough, especially when now it will reflect on our coach, who I consider to be a very good coach and our potential stud of a QB. Make no mistake about it, Ballard's mistakes don't hurt us fans other than our emotions, it hurts the players and sets them up to fail and it may become a culture where players view the franchise as a team that's not serious about winning and that is a reputation no franchise wants. My point, this is way more than Ballard pissing off fans, its wrecking the franchise and setting up players to fail. You're a free agent, would you want to play for this franchise? Did Luck see something 5 years ago and we are now just realizing it? We can all stick our head in the sand AGAIN, but I'm telling you right now, no way do we compete in our own division with the talent we currently have...NO WAY!!! Ballard will move on and get another job like Grigson did and leave this franchise a mess and that's why fans should be *.

Grover Stewart, Kenny Moore, Jonathan Taylor, Michael Pittman and others say hi.  They don't seem to view the Colts the way you do.  

No other fan base would sit by idle and continue to back this nonsense for 7 years unless they just don't care.

Pray tell, what would other fan bases do?  March towards the team facility with torches and pitchforks?  

Hold rallies in front of the stadium?  No one is forcing  you to back "this nonsense".  :thmup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

Grover Stewart, Kenny Moore, Jonathan Taylor, Michael Pittman and others say hi.  They don't seem to view the Colts the way you do.  

Pray tell, what would other fan bases do?  March towards the team facility with torches and pitchforks?  

Hold rallies in front of the stadium?  No one is forcing  you to back "this nonsense".  :thmup:

homer simpson laughing GIF-only time I have seen Homer outmatched; the pitchforks are out for Ballard by some lmao 

4 hours ago, ColtV said:

In general I agree. Fans tend to associate the merits of an analyst(regardless of whether they work for a large media outlet or run their own site) by how their team is rated.

But I would disagree with one point of YardBarker's assessment. He's determined that being idle is equal to signing your own players and that's not correct at all. Idle would be if the Colts had signed no one, not even their own players. And if he is determining that being idle is not adding new players, it would mean that he ignores the benefits of continuity. 

None of us disagree that the team needs to improve in lots of areas, but I think that what @smittywerb said fits Ballard's pattern: he is going to go after cheaper vets later, especially once all the mad money from the cap spike runs out. 

I see it the same way as YB.  Its just a simple look.  The only thing we are really interested in is whether or not a team adds pieces or loses pieces.  To that extent, the other teams got better relative to where they ended the season and the Colts have stayed the same.  I guess you could say that if we didn't resign our own, we would have gotten a lot worse.  We avoided that.  Treading water is better than sinking.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s my view. 

I get your point of view, from where you speak I guess.  You may be assuming that everybody subscribes to the view that....... Credentials > Content.   That folks will typically believe something because of who said it, not because of what was said makes sense.  

I do not.   I always read SM with the point of view that.......... Content > Credentials.

YB seems to support his opinion pretty well.  Simply listing the players each team signed does most of his heavy lifting.  I'm not really into the grades themselves, but I see where he gets them.

If Shefty or Destin made point opposite of YB, I don't think they could do it while making more sense than YB, despite their resumes.  Every tweet should stand on its own content and not have to be supported by credentials.  JMO.

Too bad about what you say is happening at ESPN (and maybe other news outlets or SM avenues?).  I have suspected for a while that they are drifting towards the concept that....Credentials > Content.  As if to say, "listen to me because of who I am...... I work for ESPN and the other people don't".  I hope ESPN isn't hinging their market share on viewers falling for that.   

I never got into the Sneed rumors much.  While many folks were generating pages of arguments over which twitter account had "better credentials" and believed the rumors, or not, based on that, I never thought the trade ever made much sense from either the Colts or KC's perspective.  Could still happen of course. 

I think that disparaging the messenger is simply rude.  You know, attack the comment and not the person.

• Like 1