Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I just don’t want to stunt AR’s growth in any way with undue pressure. I don’t want him to have to develop that same Superman mentality (no pun intended,) that Luck had to, and Peyton before him had to as well. And the organization has made it a point that they want to avoid that as well. 

I think that's up to Steichen. But yeah, it would be nice to have a rock solid roster around him, on both sides of the ball.

I don’t want to start getting into big deficits where Richardson has to come out and throw a ton and start forcing him into making mistakes he might not otherwise. 

Watch the Rams game. I'm not super worried about that, but I understand that this kind of pressure builds over time.

The other big factor at play here is that our division isn’t getting any easier in the foreseeable future. Myself personally, I’m definitely weary of the Texans and what Ryans is building down there. I think Stroud is going to be a very tough out for a long time.

I think they're just going to be a year ahead of us. Stroud was already more pro ready than Richardson, and he played a full season. I'm not weary of a team being good in our division, I welcome it. I think it keeps the high standard right in our faces. Like I said earlier, I'm not all that enthused about potentially winning a bad division while playing a last place schedule. I want the Colts to be a top four AFC team, every year. Having another potential top four team in the division is a good thing.

But to your point, yes, the Texans are probably doing a better job of building around Stroud than we are of building around Richardson, all things considered.

Like you, I don’t have any faith in Bradley as a DC, but how could he ever have a chance with what he had to work with last season and being given again this season and some rookies? What DC could have success under those perimeters?

Just minor pushback here. Watch the Ravens game.

The defensive roster isn't great, no argument there. But I think Bradley's work as a DC is malpractice. His only answer to his conservative, non-disguised Cover 3 getting shredded was to use even more conservative, less-disguised Cover 4. And that was only marginally better. I think we need to run more coverages and offer some kind of disguise, and it at least gives the secondary and the pass rush some kind of a shot to get into a rhythm. I don't think there's any excuse for the way Bradley calls this defense on a weekly basis.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I suppose it’s possible here that some think that.   I’d hope it’s very few, and certainly not me.   We all know I’m a big Ballard supporter,  but Polian is FAR better than Ballard.  

Nah, Ballard is the GOAT

I feel I’m in the minority thinking our offense is setup well for a young QB. Good OL, star running back, consistent above average X receiver and emerging slot WR. Maybe Pierce shows he is a worthy #3 in the deep game and I believe TE by committee is fine for now. Stephen and AR will be able to work with what’s there and very capable of being a top 10 offense.  

This teams success besides AR, is going to be how the defense fares. That’s the only place where there are glaring holes.  I’m interested to see what continuity does for this team. I believe Steichen brought up how important it was for a teams growth. I expect a stop gap signing for the secondary and I also think they will go defense towards top of the draft once or twice. I also wouldn’t be upset if they drafted another OL in the first three rounds. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts NFL history is pretty rich too.  Still I don’t think players care much about history when they decide who to play for.  They mostly care about one of three things:  1.  The money (and I said this is the most important and sole thing for the vast majority of them), 2.  Chance to win a Super Bowl, and 3.  Once in awhile you see them look for a place close to their hometown.

I think you are forgetting the - attractive place to live.  Miami, San Diego and others do have an advantage over the Colts.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think you are forgetting the - attractive place to live.  Miami, San Diego and others do have an advantage over the Colts.  

I am not forgetting they just aren’t the difference maker some fans think for NFL players.  For them it always comes down to money.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AKB said:

"What you call negative and deeply cynical I call realistic. " - @Solid84

There appears to be a theme on this board where if you have what appears to be a negative, or unpopular opinion you are therefore a cynic, or pessimist, and only need to be enlightened to see the truth.

I think its garbage, call it what it is. BBB doing BBB things. No one calls me an optimist when I praise him for a late round steal, but let me complain about anything, and there's a riot. 

You complained about something?

That automatically erases any  appreciative stuff you had posted earlier :funny:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts NFL history is pretty rich too.  Still I don’t think players care much about history when they decide who to play for.  They mostly care about one of three things:  1.  The money (and I said this is the most important and sole thing for the vast majority of them), 2.  Chance to win a Super Bowl, and 3.  Once in awhile you see them look for a place close to their hometown.

Edited by Myles
Duplicate.

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not forgetting they just aren’t the difference maker some fans think for NFL players.  For them it always comes down to money.  

I agree but if the money is comparable, i think a young player would choose location over Indy.  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Then they normally go to the team that gives them the better chance to win.  

destination also matters.   More so in the NBA.

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

destination also matters.   More so in the NBA.

I already talked about the NBA and explained why it mattered more in the NBA.  The NFL destination doesn’t matter nearly as much because they don’t have max contracts.  You can pay a player what you want and at some point someone is going to outbid someone.  So it’s not that I forgot it, it’s just not a major factor in where free agents sign for the NFL.  That’s my point.  If you disagree so be it.

If it did places like Detroit, Cleveland, Green Bay, Cincinnati, or New England would never get free agents all of those teams have been active in free agency in recent years.  

49 minutes ago, Myles said:

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree but if the money is comparable, i think a young player would choose location over Indy.  

I don’t think location matters at all. They are on the road for a good chunk of 8-9 plus weeks of a half a year season and can live anywhere for the other half, unless they have families to keep in schools. Indianapolis has good school corps surrounding the city, so players live in zionsville, fishers, etc. The cost of living in Indianapolis versus elsewhere (on the same salary) isn’t small. If you own a $2 million property in Indiana, it would be significantly more in Florida, California, etc. Not just in principal but with taxes and insurance as well. Indiana is a very low key state for players to bank a lot of what they earn if they choose. I think of Carson Palmer a lot when he was in Cincy (very similar to Indy) and he wanted traded- they refused and he said ok, I’ll retire… put his modest price home for sale and leaked that he had something like $80 million in the bank/invested. They traded him pretty quickly not wanting to call his bluff. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AKB said:

right now, if i had to bet everything I own on a team beating KC today, it would be HOU 

Houston would have no chance and would get squashed like a bug. Cincy with a healthy Burrow, Ravens, and maybe the Bills could upset KC. Ravens will be interesting again after picking up Henry. 

On 3/19/2024 at 10:54 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t need it to be a big splash or a top end guy at his position. Can we just at least get an upgrade so we are not pigeon holes in the draft and have rookie playing every snap.  

Novel concept.......but most of the 'fans' on here then call him Bargain Bin or dumpster diving..........heck, a lot of folks are mad he didn't re-sign Autry even though most of those very same people said he was a 'camp body' when he signed him as a free agent. 

So again, there is literally no pleasing most people on this board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Novel concept.......but most of the 'fans' on here then call him Bargain Bin or dumpster diving..........heck, a lot of folks are mad he didn't re-sign Autry even though most of those very same people said he was a 'camp body' when he signed him as a free agent. 

Like I said yesterday I found it funny people were complaining that all Ballard did was keep his own and not let people walk to get different players in one sentence while being upset that he looks to be moving on from Blackmon and is probably going to sign a different player to replace him in the next.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:06 PM, Myles said:

My guess would be that the owner gives instructions not to over pay for free agents and the GM's have followed his wishes. 

I would guess that as well. Yet, Ballard is bashed, Grigson was run out of town..........Polian was respected but a lot didn't like his philosophy either. Having said that, when you hit on so many HoF draft picks, win a Grey Cup, take the Bills to four straight SB's, the Panthers almost to one and then ultimately win one with your very first draft pick with the Colts, it's hard not to root for the guy.

18 hours ago, csmopar said:

Grigson did… he over paid for old washed up FA, Andre Johnson for example?  

His best signing was Frank Gore.  

Big-name, washed-up player and Frank Gore is an anomaly as NOBODY expected him to have several good seasons with us.

Let's try 24-26 year old stud players coming into their primes.......

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts haven’t had a CB that has been multi year starter here in a long time.

He isn’t getting what he wanted.

Rock Ya-Sin started for three straight years.  2019, 20 and 21.   This season, Brents will be starting his year 2.    When both didn’t start it was due to injury, not performance. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rock Ya-Sin started for three straight years.  2019, 20 and 21.   This season, Brents will be starting his year 2.    When both didn’t start it was due to injury, not performance. 

I mean it’s in the slot but Kenny Moore has been a starter for seven years now.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AKB said:

NFL.com ranks Ballard as the 18th best gm. What do you think of that, and do you think he should be fired 

I was not aware of that ranking, so I looked it up.  While Ballard was 18th, Houston’s Nick Casero was actually 24th.  

They called his first two years terrible.  He had hired three HC’s in his first 3 years something that had never happened in NFL history.    They thought his 3rd year offered promise.   But what would have happened if Carolina had drafted Stroud?  

Not everything is as black and white, good and bad, as you imagine. 

@AKB

@Solid84

I’m going thru this thread, and I think it’s possible that over the course of the last few days I’ve accidentally mixed up my conversations with you both.   I’ve been interacting with you two the most over this time, often at the same time.   So I think it’s likely I’ve sent wrong responses to each of you.   I’m not certain of this, but I think it’s probable.  

Sincerely sorry for all the confusion…. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure that is correct for Rock. I think he lost his starting spot to... TJ Carrie if I'm not mistaken at some point... correct me if I'm wrong. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Houston would have no chance and would get squashed like a bug. Cincy with a healthy Burrow, Ravens, and maybe the Bills could upset KC. Ravens will be interesting again after picking up Henry. 

I think you are underestimating Houston. They are building something good there. Given reasonable health to their big time players IMO they can be competitive against anybody in the league. No guarantee they win, but I don't think they will look out of place(squashed like a bug) vs the Chiefs. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not sure that is correct for Rock. I think he lost his starting spot to... TJ Carrie if I'm not mistaken at some point... correct me if I'm wrong. 

I didn’t find anything one way or the other.   References about his best plays as a Colt, but no mention of ever starting.  

Seems like I struck a nerve almost 10 pages ago and this forum still going on and on why elite players avoid Indianapolis.  Now we have added grievances with Ballard.  Think by now we can agree that for a multitude of reasons a player will or will not sign with a franchise.  Location is one, money is another.  We all grow up a fan of a team or two and really despise another enough am sure a player would never want to join. 

Grass isn't always greener applies and players often see money green over potential of being a future HOF.  Sometimes you're a great player like a WR on record pace with another future HOF QB.  Make a bad decision to chase the money because your Club doesn't match the offer and now, you're playing for another team with a sub-par QB, sure the money is great, but your career take a nosedive. 

More case examples we could all image and go into but at the end of the day we are just fans here.  We all think in our minds that we know how to run the organization better than the way it is going.  We get upset the Colts brought back certain players and missed out on others in free agency, year after year.  Never ending cycle of life.  I think I got even more appreciation now for the Colts organization than in year's past after watching Hard Knocks. 

At the end of the day, we are all human and have emotions.  NFL is a business.  Fans are armchair GMs and self-proclaimed sports experts.  Sports are fixed.  Management can't solve all the problems in free agency nor the draft when a budget is involved.  Heaven forbids if the NFL turns into baseball type contracts.  Be a whole new world of problems.  Got mad respect for a few fellow Colt's fans here but some of you really clearly need to get off your high horse and take it down a notch or two. 

Now can someone in the organization please listen to me and acquire someone I like for a change smh 

Go Colts until my last breath

• Like 1

Here's a quote from Ballard on the secondary from the end of year presser after the season:

I guess... he doesn't see much urgency in addressing the secondary. We will rely on continuity and development of the young guys... #DelayedGratification

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Chloe was referencing what Kevin Bowen and the radio guys have been saying.  Although she misquoted them a little.  They were making a point about the Colts' lack of quality in the secondary, over time.  They said we haven't had a quality multi-year corner since Vontae Davis.  Yes, Xavier Rhodes was quality.  And Stephone Gilmore was was quality.  But Rhodes was here only 2 years, and Gilmore only one.  Outside of them, it's been a rotation of JAG's and Wannabe's.  None of them all that exceptional.  And not here all that long.  Bowen and the guys wanted Ballard to invest in a long-term, quality outside guy.  Not a stop gap.  Not a JAG.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Superman said:

I think you're dodging the question, but fine. Ebukam, Kelly, Stewart, for Justin Jefferson. Put it this way -- would the Vikings accept that trade offer? 

If we offered those three guys, plus two firsts, the Vikings would say 'we don't want those players, so throw in another high draft pick, and then we'll seriously consider it but probably still tell you no after a couple hours.' 

My team building philosophy is get the QB, support the QB with high value positional players, fill out the rest of the roster however you can. If it costs you a few Ebukams and Kellys, so be it.

And you're not seriously asking about a WR's playoff record, right? (Especially not a WR with four years in the league...) What was Larry Fitzgerald's playoff record before 2008? Be serious, please.

The whole point of adding a single great player at a particular cost is can they make the difference getting the team to the SB. Seriously!

KC's defense was just as good as their offense, and their receiving core had one kid WR that stuck out. I thought the QB play from the final 8 teams in the recent playoffs was extraordinary. And the talent and coaching on those defenses was very impressive.

My breakdown for this not happening trade. I am certain we have an issue with Fries giving up pressure up the middle, his inability to command respect getting push in short yardage. Smith has his issues with speed rushers. This is a huge deal when trying to win multiple playoff Games. You take Kelly out of the equation and don't have his equal... that is a serious issue regarding the running game and pressure in AR's face. 

Jefferson, Pittman, Downs, Woods, Ogletree, Mallory, and add a good rookie, would be a juggernaut combined with Taylor and a really good AR. If you can have enough o-line. Fun to watch. 

How would his roughly $30M a year effect keeping our other players over the length of his contract? 

I believe Steichen can build a passing attack using 7-8 players that can get an offense to the SB. I'll go with spreading a singular huge contract around to build a SB caliber team. 

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I seem to recall this type of progression from just this offseason:

-If Ballard doesn’t retain Pittman he should be fired.

*resigns Pittman

-If Ballard doesn’t retain Stewart we’re in trouble.

*resigns Stewart

-If Ballard doesn’t retain Moore we’re screwed.

*resigns Moore

-If Ballard doesn’t sign more free agents he should be fired.

*we are currently here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I think you are underestimating Houston. They are building something good there. Given reasonable health to their big time players IMO they can be competitive against anybody in the league. No guarantee they win, but I don't think they will look out of place(squashed like a bug) vs the Chiefs. 

Ravens Squashed them Korean Drama Pout GIF by The Swoon

Has anyone gave it 1 thought, that why Ballard wants to run it back is, we were 1 play away from winning the Division with a backup QB? Now we will have AR healthy, you would think AR would be an upgrade over Minshew at the most important position. I think he will be. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Has anyone gave it 1 thought, that why Ballard wants to run it back is, we were 1 play away from winning the Division with a backup QB? Now we will have AR healthy, you would think AR would be an upgrade over Minshew at the most important position. I think he will be. 

If this is true, then I hope we get Blackmon back, as the S draft class is very weak this year.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 6:31 AM, csmopar said:

Grigson did… he over paid for old washed up FA, Andre Johnson for example?  

His best signing was Frank Gore.  

I'm no Grigson fan, but his best signing may have been safety Mike Adams in 2014. Adams started 44 games over three seasons, recorded 12 interceptions, and made two Pro Bowls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1