Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

3 minutes ago, colts89 said:

If we get Sneed, you think we will also draft an additional CB at #15 AND sign a safety? Are you ready to give up on Brents and Jones after a year?

No reason to draft a corner at 15 if they get Sneed.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A rookie is a rookie. What stroud did this year is unheard of. A 31 YO WR just makes little sense.

I agree with this. Having said that I don't think Williams will be as good as Stroud was last year or ever be as good as QBs like Luck and Burrow when they came out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

FWIW worth local media never breaks stories.

JMV very much broke the Peyton Manning neck story and was attacked like Holder is today.  Also if local media never breaks stories why are we listening to Destin or Holder?

When we know how the Colts and Ballard act on the market IMO it's almost certain that either the deal is done or the deal is not happening at all. I don't think I ever remember any big contract being negotiated by the Colts through the media. This just doesn't happen... like EVER. This is not Ballard's modus operandi. He does everything in the dark. When you hear about the deal it's usually already done. So... this line of thinking kind of gives credence to both versions - either the deal is done and just not announced yet(the more time passes the less likely this is BTW), or the Colts are not as close to a deal as a lot of people think and it's possible either agents or the Chiefs are using the Colts to leverage another team to give more(money and/or picks). 

Honestly. I usually believe in what Destin reports, but in this case it kind of looks to me like too much time has passed without official confirmation and at this point if I had to bet my money on something it's probably that the Colts don't trade for Snead at all. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

When we know how the Colts and Ballard act on the market IMO it's almost certain that either the deal is done or the deal is not happening at all. I don't think I ever remember any big contract being negotiated by the Colts through the media. This just doesn't happen... like EVER. This is not Ballard's modus operandi. He does everything in the dark. When you hear about the deal it's usually already done. So... this line of thinking kind of gives credence to both versions - either the deal is done and just not announced yet(the more time passes the less likely this is BTW), or the Colts are not as close to a deal as a lot of people think and it's possible either agents or the Chiefs are using the Colts to leverage another team to give more(money and/or picks). 

Honestly. I usually believe in what Destin reports, but in this case it kind of looks to me like too much time has passed without official confirmation and at this point if I had to bet my money on something it's probably that the Colts don't trade for Snead at all. 

Final details could be as simple as having to come to Indy for a physical. Thst could take a couple days.

49 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The kid only had 1 rush and 1 reception.  Why the "meh?

i guess, because he had 1 rush 1 reception

ill add that I do like hull, as a backup to taylor. good screen back, lots of exp running out of the gun, good for what we are doing

hopefully we can get him on the field this season

• Like 1

I’m certainly of the camp that it is better to do things right rather than rushed. Perhaps they are just ironing out all the details of a potential deal with Sneed. 

That said, there has been way too much media attention and way too many conflicting reports. At this point, I’m going to have to accept that this is likely an Occam‘s razor situation. My interpretation is that Ballard has drawn his line in the sand, and he’s standing firm. More likely than not at this point that a deal isn’t getting done. I will be the first person to tell you that I hope I’m wrong. But this is how I’m reading the tea leaves today.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

The Texans might be really good next year. I'm still a little upset that we lost Danielle Hunter to them. Most Vikings fans are disappointed that we lost Hunter despite having signed Greenard.

Hopefully the Colts get the trade for Sneed done.

Yeah, I’m envious on how quickly they have rebuilt their team. However, I would like to add that the QB being great made things “feel” accelerated. I’m hoping for Sneed too. Something that signifies we are serious too. 

Hunter was solid. Fingers crossed Greenard works out AND you get your QB too

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

if it comes down to overpaying him, probably a good idea that we don't. I'm fine with taking a corner in the draft or signing a bridge CB to supplement the youth in the room. I don't wanna see Jones just given the outside CB spot like it's his to lose. I want him to have strong competition for his spot. If we can at least do that, there should be an improvement.

some people have said Dallis Flowers is that guy, but we still have to see how the players coming back from injury will perform, and when they will be able to perform. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Final details could be as simple as having to come to Indy for a physical. Thst could take a couple days.

So something like that would have been reported by Ian or Schef hours/days ago

If Sneed and his agent play hard ball, enjoy another year on the tag and possibly more injuries and concerns for your next contract.

I would care less if it kept the Chiefs strong. We just move on to other fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chad72 said:

If Sneed and his agent play hard ball, enjoy another year on the tag and possibly more injuries and concerns for your next contract.

ballard was super patient hiring steichen, lets hope he is patient in this scenario too and doesn't overpay for a guy that just peaked,. 

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

So something like that would have been reported by Ian or Schef hours/days ago

What if his agent and everyone is just quiet . It happens. Things do get past those guys because everyone keeps tight lips. If the agent is quiet then nothing is getting out to those guys.

Just now, AKB said:

ballard was super patient hiring steichen, lets hope he is patient in this scenario too and doesn't overpay for a guy that just peaked,. 

Well once the Super Bowl was over and Steichen was available for an interview, things moved fast.

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What if his agent and everyone is just quiet . It happens. Things do get past those guys because everyone keeps tight lips. If the agent is quiet then nothing is getting out to those guys.

Then why are you believing Dustin and some other random on Twitter?

I'm conflicted when it comes to Sneed. If he really wants $22million/year, would the Colts be better off bringing in a decent vet corner for $10-$12 million/year and a vet FS around the same number? I keep hearing that the Colts defensive scheme doesn't require amazing corner play, but it would be nice to have a stopper in this secondary.

Well, if I’m a GM and an agent haggles so much that it makes me wonder if they are doing it because they don’t want to be here out of choice, I would re-evaluate my options.

The only other supposed competitor is the Titans that don’t have a 3rd round pick. Just saying. At some point, I’m less worried about my job security or how much I could be viewed as the GM who couldn’t land him. No wonder the Lions moved on fast and landed Carlton Davis from the Bucs.

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Ballard so far had been getting QBs from free agency only, between Luck and Richardson.

Free Agency will always have to be part of the strategy, great GMs find the right mix every year and when the time is right, they'd try to bring as much talent to go for a run. 

It just cannot be done through draft alone. Hitting right on many draft prospects is tough as well, and involves luck, timing, players' effort and good deal of not suffering injuries. 

I detect that my post a few pages back sparked some discussion, and part of it is drifting away from my point.

If you have to spend draft picks AND top dollar money to get players, then that sets you back compared to other teams who can get players by EITHER draft picks OR top dollar money.  And those resources tend to roll from season to season.  Buckner, Sneed, and Yannick were (assuming Sneed) all acquired via trade and I believe all 3 required either new contracts or absorbing a high salary cap hit when acquired.  In the case of Yannick, we had to trade RYS who was picked with #34, and then had to spend another 2nd on JuJu to replace RYS.  All of the individual trades look good in the short term...but the inefficiency adds up.

In Indy car, you can keep pace with the efficient teams for a while.  But if your pace costs you more gas and tires over the course of the long haul, then you are going to have to make one more pit stop and will end up a lap down compared to the 10 efficient teams that are on the lead lap.  

If the Sneed transaction happens, great, we get a great player.  If it doesn't, that's okay too.

• Like 1

Hopefully this gets done soon and colds can turn their sight to FS. Blackmon and Diggs would be nice. Going to have to restructure a couple deals but they can do it with guys they expect to be here a few more years. If they do get sneed then sign Blackmon and Diggs Ballard will have checked everything off his to do list.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hopefully this gets done soon and colds can turn their sight to FS. Blackmon and Diggs would be nice. Going to have to restructure a couple deals but they can do it with guys they expect to be here a few more years. If they do get sneed then sign Blackmon and Diggs Ballard will have checked everything off his to do list.

And there is the waffle

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No CB at 15. We just drafted Brents. It will most likely be a offensive pick unless one of a couple defensive players drops.

yup, 

CB1: Sneed

CB2: Brents

Nickel: Moore

CB4: Jones

is a VERY solid CB room.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Today seems to cast some serious doubt on those reports we read yesterday. I was like 80% confident the deal was close to done yesterday . Today I'm like 50-50.