Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Just now, ArmchairQB said:

It would make sense from the standpoint of seeing what they come up with in the draft.  Problem is they risk getting lower compensation after the draft 

They might get a better deal in, or after, the draft if some team misses on a corner they want and go overboard with picks, or combo player and picks.  KC is not hurting if the keep Sneed for the year on the tag.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Speaking for myself only, I held out hope that Ballard would see the need to direct resources toward the weaker areas of the team. Him doubling down on other areas is disappointing.

On offense, I want some OL depth and an improvement at WR. I wasn't expecting any fireworks in FA.

But if he lets all of our guys walk and create more needs, I dont see how that helps either. And I do think that spot behind Grover was a weak spot. Its just not sexy. 

Hes not done. If he pulls off a trade for Sneed and adds a guy like Troy Franklin in the draft, I would be thrilled honestly. Even if he doesnt get Sneed, if he could sign Justin Simmons I would also be stoked. 

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

But if he lets all of our guys walk and create more needs, I dont see how that helps either. And I do think that spot behind Grover was a weak spot. Its just not sexy. 

Hes not done. If he pulls off a trade for Sneed and adds a guy like Troy Franklin in the draft, I would be thrilled honestly. Even if he doesnt get Sneed, if he could sign Justin Simmons I would also be stoked. 

Simmons makes so much sense. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Wasn't it Tannehill that said he isn't there to mentor Levis last year? 

Yeah prior to losing his starting spot. If that’s still his attitude, then yeah pass

Wasn't it Tannehill that said he isn't there to mentor Levis last year? 

Yes I don’t see him as a realistic option for the Colts.

The Texans are doing what any team with a young talented QB should be doing, stacking the roster and using the cheap QB window to try to create a contention window. Good for them... 

I don’t understand why Colts aren’t doing the same it’s not like Chris Ballard’s going to have a second shot at this?

• Like 3

The Texans are doing what any team with a young talented QB should be doing, stacking the roster and using the cheap QB window to try to create a contention window. Good for them... 

Bingo!

Is it crazy to think that since the colts were 1 game away from winning the division and going to the playoffs with a very limited back up QB that we really don’t need as much as some of us think we do?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

If they are so adamant about adding talent to the secondary why aren’t they getting any actual FAs? And you don’t have to give up draft picks to get them! 

Not a fan of moving high picks for Sneed personally. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Paye and Dayo were drafted three seasons ago. Both are heading into contract years, and like you said, neither of them are top tier pass rushers. I would have rather kept our powder dry and look to find a way to add a top tier pass rusher, whether now or in the future.

Same for a good coverage LB, or help in the secondary.

If you think we have a good enough pass rush to support a contention level defense, then it's just an area where we disagree on a fundamental level.

Yes. Coverage Linebacker is a massive need for this team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moe said:

I don’t understand why Colts aren’t doing the same it’s not like Chris Ballard’s going to have a second shot at this?

As much as Id love to see Ballard do the same thing, history has shown that very very very rarely does going on a super spending spree in FA result in any real gains. The Jags did it many times, and again after they draft Trevor Lawrence. They’ve gone no where. Browns did it several times. Chargers did it with Herbert.

all after just one season with their rookie QBs. All of them showed promise so they went all in. 

meanwhile, teams like the Bills and Chiefs, spent the money more wisely and slowly, albeit that is starting to catch up because of how well they’ve drafted and developed their own while also supplementing with quality FA. This is the model I think Ballard is trying to replicate. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If they are so adamant about adding talent to the secondary why aren’t they getting any actual FAs? And you don’t have to give up draft picks to get them! 

Not a fan of moving high picks for Sneed personally. 

Depends what your definition of high pick is?

Can't imagine it would be over a 3rd rounder.

Probably even get a 4th + player potentially?

As far as the everything else in the secondary, be patient. We are going to address it and there are still numerous options available.

I seriously believe that we are in on Simmons and Snead.

Been reviewing the roster a little bit. We are stocking up on the defensive side of the ball.

Setting up for some weapons in the draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Just saw that Sneed liked a post from Kenny Moore

If we land Snead, I’m gonna be jumping up and down, might cause an earthquake here in Morgantown 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

As far as the everything else in the secondary, be patient. We are going to address it and there are still numerous options available.

Been reviewing the roster a little bit. We are stocking up on the defensive side of the ball.

Hope you’re right. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Honestly, I’d offer the second this year and maybe a 3rd from next year.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

awful signing

Awful because it isn’t who you want to be the backup? Flacco killed it last season in Cleveland with less weapons. Stop being negative. He can teach AR a ton of things and be more than serviceable in case of an injury. 

• Like 1

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

Awful because it isn’t who you want to be the backup? Flacco killed it last season in Cleveland with less weapons. Stop being negative. He can teach AR a ton of things and be more than serviceable in case of an injury. 

He is totally immobile and will be under constant duress with our oline.