Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Mahomes be viewed as a better all time QB than Peyton if he wins this years SuperBowl?

runthepost

Mahomes has officially passed Peyton now. 3 SB wins and 3 SB MVPs. He also has 10 years on Peyton at this point in his career. I'm a huge Peyton fan and will never bash him, but Mahomes has passed him by. He's literally dominated a hard AFC division and won back-to-back SBs. That solidifies it. 

So my top 5 now is 1.) Brady 2.) Montana 3.) Mahomes 4.) Peyton 5.) Elway

Mahomes has moved into 3rd all-time. Can't deny it anymore. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Mahomes has officially passed Peyton now. 3 SB wins and 3 SB MVPs. He also has 10 years on Peyton at this point in his career. I'm a huge Peyton fan and will never bash him, but Mahomes has passed him by. He's literally dominated a hard AFC division and won back-to-back SBs. That solidifies it. 

So my top 5 now is 1.) Brady 2.) Montana 3.) Mahomes 4.) Peyton 5.) Elway

Mahomes has moved into 3rd all-time. Can't deny it anymore. 

I disagree, I will take Peyton all day. I will give you Mahomes. Peyton would of won 3 or 4 if he had the defenses Mahomes has had or Brady had. 49ers did so many dumb things tonight, they gave the game away. They even missed an extra point Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I disagree, I will take Peyton all day. I will give you Mahomes. Peyton would of won 3 or 4 if he had the defenses Mahomes has had or Brady had. 49ers did so many dumb things tonight, they gave the game away. They even missed an extra point Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

Man…

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hate to say it, but Peyton was a perennial playoff choker. Most of them weren't even against the Pats either. A lot of them were to the other playoff teams like the Jets, Chargers, and Steelers at that time. He was putting up stinkers in the playoffs on the regular Vs top defenses. Paralysis by analysis. 

Mahomes has been nothing but clutch in the playoffs his whole career so far. He's 15-3 in the playoffs and has made 4 SBs and won 3. He is exactly what Brady and Montana were and is why those 3 QB's are above Peyton. Peyton Manning has a career 14-13 playoff record (5-3 with the Broncos) and a losing playoff record with the Colts (9-10 with us).

Give me Mahomes at 28 with what he's done all day every day and twice on Sunday (especially if the Sunday is a SB). I'm thankful for what Peyton did for us, but Mahomes is better in every way now besides the number of MVP awards, and I'll take SB MVPs and SB victories and so will any other fan who values winning.

Lastly, if it was the Colts Vs the 49ers in the SB tonight, and we won playing the exact same way the Chiefs played and the 49ers playing the exact same way they played tonight, we'd be celebrating on the forum. The extra point was blocked btw, and Moody made all of his FGs, including 3 above 50. That was a clutch play by the Chiefs, had nothing to do with the 49ers missing or being dumb. Sometimes breaks go your way, and we'd have liked more of them with Peyton on the Colts, but they didn't. Mahomes took advantage, and made sure to win, like he usually does. Don't use a blocked extra point to bash him. Peyton would admit he'd take a blocked extra point 100 times out of 100 to get to overtime to win a SB if that's what it took. That's what it took tonight. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It isn't even close. It's Mahomes all day, every day. Mahomes, after getting pummeled for the entire game, took the team on his back with his legs and arm.

• Like 1

I’m still giving the edge to Peyton on total career for now. Career stats mean something and Peyton had probably the 2nd best career of all time for a QB. I fully expect Mahomes to pass him eventually bc he is a brilliant player and an absolute gift to watch play. So was Peyton though and he revolutionized the position.  Mahomes is likely going to be a top 5 all time and probably top 2 or 3 but he isn’t there yet. No matter what I’ve enjoyed watching both and even got to catch the tail end of Montana in SF and then the Chiefs. Consider us all very lucky to see this much greatness. 

33 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m still giving the edge to Peyton on total career for now. Career stats mean something and Peyton had probably the 2nd best career of all time for a QB. I fully expect Mahomes to pass him eventually bc he is a brilliant player and an absolute gift to watch play. So was Peyton though and he revolutionized the position.  Mahomes is likely going to be a top 5 all time and probably top 2 or 3 but he isn’t there yet. No matter what I’ve enjoyed watching both and even got to catch the tail end of Montana in SF and then the Chiefs. Consider us all very lucky to see this much greatness. 

And then, there are those of us fortunate to have seen Unitas play.  :^)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are right it isn't close. Mahomes 2 League MVPs, Manning 5 Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

To be honest, one of those MVPs in the 2009 Saints SB season should have gone to Brees or Favre. You could give Peyton the MVP every season and same with Mahomes for what they mean to their team every year. 

Ask Peyton if he would trade that MVP for a SB. He’d say heck yeah. But yeah, if Mahomes has an injury and doesn’t play another 5 great years, it would be a moot argument for all of us. That’s why I said he needs to maintain his level for another 5.

But I’m not going to hold league MVPs against him now or later because most would agree a SB MVP and playoff success matters more than regular season MVPs accomplished against 75% above average to good teams, while playoff success is against the cream of the crop when it came to the last 4 in each conference. Fun fact was Peyton was hovering around .500 over elite teams in the “regular season” that he faced in the playoffs later if one bothered to dissect and his playoff success was a natural extension of that record around .500

Can’t justify all those divisional round losses at home with a bye where your “regular season” success couldn’t carry over. Brady and Mahomes are a clear tier above in playoff success with regards to Peyton. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

, if Mahomes has an injury and doesn’t play another 5 great years, it would be a moot argument for all of us. That’s why I said he needs to maintain his level for another 5.

the best ability is availability. What Peyton, Tom, Favre, Rodgers, Brees all have in common is longevity. If Mahomes plays for another decade without missing many games, he has a legit chance to separate himself entirely, almost to the point that no one will ever compare. The difference is that they are all retired (or soon to be) and he’s 28. He’s got a lot of football left, so you can only judge what he’s done, not what he could do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Man to be honest I’m jealous.

I wouldn’t say I’m jealous, but they are living the dream. 

I met a man and his young son in a hotel pool in 2022 before the chiefs game in Indy. It was his son’s first chiefs game, as his dad wouldn’t take him to arrowhead until he was older (lol). Lifelong chiefs fans living the dream. One of the nicest men I’ve ever met. I thought about them a lot last night, wondering how excited they were. Since that day, they now have experienced two superbowl wins. That boy doesn’t know what he has yet. What a childhood. 

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

the best ability is availability. What Peyton, Tom, Favre, Rodgers, Brees all have in common is longevity. If Mahomes plays for another decade without missing many games, he has a legit chance to separate himself entirely, almost to the point that no one will ever compare. The difference is that they are all retired (or soon to be) and he’s 28. He’s got a lot of football left, so you can only judge what he’s done, not what he could do. 

Absolutely 100% correct!! No one has a crystal ball or time machine. But what is crystal clear is his poise matched only by Brady, come playoff time. 

4 attempts from the 10 yard line to punch it in from 1st and goal to 4th and goal in the 2007 Chargers divisional round game at home for Peyton down 24-28, he got happy feet, couldn't extend plays or slide in the pocket well enough to make it count. Brady or Mahomes in that situation, TD, hands down. They have shown to be mental giants (so far for Mahomes).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Absolutely 100% correct!! No one has a crystal ball or time machine. But what is crystal clear is his poise matched only by Brady, come playoff time. 

4 attempts from the 10 yard line to punch it in from 1st and goal to 4th and goal in the 2007 Chargers divisional round game at home for Peyton, he got happy feet, couldn't extend plays or slide in the pocket well enough to make it count. Brady or Mahomes in that situation, TD, hands down. They have shown to be mental giants (so far for Mahomes).

Mahomes ability to extend and make plays happen from nothing is his separator to me. No one does it (or has done it) like he does. I think that is pretty obvious. He makes throws and plays that only handful can, and he does it regularly. 

In the near future, he will have to adapt to not having the best tight end of all-time (imo). Playoff Travis Kelce has undoubtedly helped him win 3 championships, as has Andy Reid… They will ride it until the end. But the end is near for #87, and likely for Reid too. How Pat will adapt/who they bring in to be his go-to, will likely be a determining factor of his success as his mobility declines. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Is Peyton scoring that touchdown in overtime? 

Saw too many times Peyton folded in those moments in the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Mahomes ability to extend and make plays happen from nothing is his separator to me. No one does it (or has done it) like he does. I think that is pretty obvious. He makes throws and plays that only handful can, and he does it regularly. 

In the near future, he will have to adapt to not having the best tight end of all-time (imo). Playoff Travis Kelce has undoubtedly helped him win 3 championships, as has Andy Reid… They will ride it until the end. But the end is near for #87, and likely for Reid too. How Pat will adapt/who they bring in to be his go-to, will likely be a determining factor of his success as his mobility declines. 

IF, that is a BIG IF, they have the 3-peat, I can see both Andy Reid and Travis Kelce walking away from the game. Then, we shall see Mahomes without his 2 biggest rocks for support. But I am sure their GM Brett Veach will re-stock their offensive cupboard this year. Plus, they can't re-sign both Chris Jones and L'Jarius Sneed, most likely Jones stays and Sneed goes, if I had to guess. So they have to compensate on the offensive side to score like they did vs the Eagles last SuperBowl.

But maybe Andy Reid knows Mahomes is a once in a lifetime talent he lucked into that he wants to continue the 1-2 punch with him and Spagnuolos as long as he can.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

IF, that is a BIG IF, they have the 3-peat, I can see both Andy Reid and Travis Kelce walking away from the game. Then, we shall see Mahomes without his 2 biggest rocks for support. But I am sure their GM Brett Veach will re-stock their offensive cupboard this year. Plus, they can't re-sign both Chris Jones and L'Jarius Sneed, most likely Jones stays and Sneed goes, if I had to guess. So they have to compensate on the offensive side to score like they did vs the Eagles last SuperBowl.

But maybe Andy Reid knows Mahomes is a once in a lifetime talent he lucked into that he wants to continue the 1-2 punch with him and Spagnuolos as long as he can.

if they three peat, there’s little doubt that they are the greatest dynasty in the history of the nfl. 

I don’t think Reid will be done next season… he’s 65. He likely has no hobbies, outside of what he can do in the offseason. Bill Bellichick has 6 years on him. I would say he’ll push his career as far as he can, and there is no indication he is close to being ready. How could you be? They are in the glory years. Walking away would be like breaking up the 90s Bulls. It’s not going to be Veach that does it. It’s going to be Reid, on his terms… 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

if they three peat, there’s little doubt that they are the greatest dynasty in the history of the nfl. 

I don’t think Reid will be done next season… he’s 65. He likely has no hobbies, outside of what he can do in the offseason. Bill Bellichick has 6 years on him. I would say he’ll push his career as far as he can, and there is no indication he is close to being ready. How could you be? They are in the glory years. Walking away would be like breaking up the 90s Bulls. It’s not going to be Veach that does it. It’s going to be Reid, on his terms… 

Yeah, Reid needs 6 more postseason wins (sitting at 26 right now) to surpass Belichick at 31, for the most number of playoff wins ever. So I am thinking 2 years at least. 

THEN, he will be eligible for social security at 67 😁

Anyone can be better in 1 game, but Peyton was the best for 16 games 5 times. SB MVP doesn't mean didly, because anyone on a fluke can have 1 great game, see Doug Williams in 1987.

To be fair, Getting a Superbowl MVP is not a fluke.  Mahomes beat the Dolphins, Bills, Ravens and 49rs to win his 3rd Superbowl MVP.  Also, to get to the post season means he had good regular seasons too.  

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

Anyone can be better in 1 game, but Peyton was the best for 16 games 5 times. SB MVP doesn't mean didly, because anyone on a fluke can have 1 great game, see Doug Williams in 1987.

To be fair, Getting a Superbowl MVP is not a fluke.  Mahomes beat the Dolphins, Bills, Ravens and 49rs to win his 3rd Superbowl MVP.  Also, to get to the post season means he had good regular seasons too.  

Yeah... One game, sure. But 3 games is more than a pattern. Last night, especially a fourth quarter comeback drive to send it to overtime, and then an overtime game-winning drive speaks VOLUMES. The plays he made, especially the fourth down run with the game on the line, was cold-blooded. Pat Mahomes is more than special, and it's blatantly obvious... except to those who think the game is rigged. 

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah... One game, sure. But 3 games is more than a pattern. Last night, especially a fourth quarter comeback drive to send it to overtime, and then an overtime game-winning drive speaks VOLUMES. The plays he made, especially the fourth down run with the game on the line, was cold-blooded. Pat Mahomes is more than special, and it's blatantly obvious... except to those who think the game is rigged. 

I think that theory was debunked when 2 different plays should have been reviewed by the crew upstairs when at least 1 would have been a first down and the other would have been closer.  

Mahomes has the stats and he is also extremely clutch in the playoffs, something that Manning lacked through most of his career. Here are some of the moments I remember Manning being in position to win and coming up short.

1.  Colts vs Patriots 2003 AFC Championship Game

Down 7 with 2 minutes to go. Manning goes 3 and out

The next year Manning is held to a paltry 3 points and loses to the Patriots AGAIN.

2. Colts vs Steelers 2005 Divisional Round.

Colts are down 3 with 2:32 left to go and they go 3 and out

and of course after Bettis fumble he gets another chance and fails to get a touchdown or move closer for the field goal after completing one pass, but they of course were already in field goal range and Vanderjagt shanked it :(

Colts vs Chargers 2007 Divisional Round

https://youtu.be/ZbCMf68mH34?si=HB94L3W4_4uYTuJT&t=7828

Manning was down 4 and needed a touchdown to win. I always wanted to see them face New England again. I think they coud have won. Such  travesty

Colts vs chargers 2008 Wildcard round

All Manning had to do was convert the 3rd down and they likely win the game. No dice :(

2009 Superbowl: Colts vs Saints

down 7, the Manning is driving down the field and he goes to the same well one too many times and gets picked off.

https://youtu.be/31mh9IGFAAo?si=8OHOsp01cvaeFIgq&t=5370

In most of these games the defense had done enough to win and Peyton simply was not clutch, unlike what we have seen from Mahomes.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

🤪

Whelp did the rounds on social media and people are definitely saying this now, lots of them.

Peyton isnt even being mentioned much, just that Mahomes is only behind Brady now.

This is why I root against the chiefs, its all we are going to hear about for a good while now.  Maybe years to come.

• Like 1

Its really a team sport. So hard to judge who the GOAT is or the top 5. Take BB and those defenses away from Tom Brady how many superbowls does he win? Give Manning BB and those defenses how many superbowls does he win. 

One thing Mahomes, Brady and Montana have that Peyton lacked is that clutch gene to just get it done in the playoffs no matter what. So I would put Manning at 4 for those reasons only. As championships is really the only thing that matters. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Jennings is bottom left on the screen. He threw to him. That’s a TD if OL doesn’t mess up.

That is why you pay big bucks to the pass rush down the middle like Aaron Donald that got Burrow off his spot in that SB, or Chris Jones that got Josh Allen off his spot and Brock Purdy off his spot in the playoff games to force them into FGs. Pressures, not sacks, are the new metric. :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Whelp did the rounds on social media and people are definitely saying this now, lots of them.

I think its a perception issue, as time passes what is happening now seems more relevant than what occurred in the past.

Dolphins fans used to HATE anyone mentioning that Manning was on pace to break Marino's passing records. On long gone message boards it was all "He will never be mentioned in the same breath as Marino!" 

18 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Peyton isnt even being mentioned much, just that Mahomes is only behind Brady now.

This is why I root against the chiefs, its all we are going to hear about for a good while now.  Maybe years to come.

I root for the chiefs.  I've always liked KC.  I like Andy Reid.  I like Mahomes.  I'm sure Brady roots against the Chiefs and Mahomes.

51 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Mahomes has the stats and he is also extremely clutch in the playoffs, something that Manning lacked through most of his career. Here are some of the moments I remember Manning being in position to win and coming up short.

Colts vs Chargers 2007 Divisional Round

https://youtu.be/ZbCMf68mH34?si=HB94L3W4_4uYTuJT&t=7828

Manning was down 4 and needed a touchdown to win. I always wanted to see them face New England again. I think they could have won. Such  a travesty

In most of these games the defense had done enough to win and Peyton simply was not clutch, unlike what we have seen from Mahomes.

When we were 1st and goal vs the Chargers, I thought for sure Manning would come through. He played the regular season games knowing it wasn't the end of it all but couldn't carry it over to the postseason whatsoever. But then, his regular season record vs those playoff teams like the Chargers and Patriots weren't that stellar either, hovered around .500, he did have the Ravens' number though. The goal for every QB and team is to win championships, and he was a part of those failures too, though each game had its own losers.

But then, he was OURS, the one that put us on the map as the Colts franchise, the darling of the city, and could do no wrong. It is like comparing your dear son to someone else's and people have a hard time being objective about it. As far as the clutch gene, it is very very hard to disagree as to how it plays in favor of Brady, Montana and Mahomes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

When we were 1st and goal vs the Chargers, I thought for sure Manning would come through. He played the regular season games knowing it wasn't the end of it all but couldn't carry it over to the postseason whatsoever. The goal for every QB and team is to win championships, and he was a part of those failures too, though each game had its own losers.

But then, he was OURS, the one that put us on the map as the Colts franchise, the darling of the city, and could do no wrong. It is like comparing your dear son to someone else's and people have a hard time being objective about it. As far as the clutch gene, it is very very hard to disagree as to how it plays in favor of Brady, Montana and Mahomes.

Yeah Manning is my personal favorite football player. He is the reason I am a fan of football at all. I dearly miss that era. But watching this current KC team and Brady's late run highlighted how unclutch Manning was. 

Yea, I truly thought the Colts would beat the 07 Chargers. Manning also had a lot of bad luck that game. Kenton Keith fumbled near the goal line, and Harrison also fumbled after trying to run after the catch (something he seldomly did) while they were driving down the field. At the end though, Manning had a chance to win, but failed. Not clutch. 

• Like 1