Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders request interview Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds

1959Colts

This is an annual thing.  I think Dodds wants the perfect situation before he takes that leap. Working for Humpty Dumpty and having to find a QB in Vegas isn’t it.  But a team like the Chargers that has a franchise QB in place may be of interest to him 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

This is an annual thing.  I think Dodds wants the perfect situation before he takes that leap. Working for Humpty Dumpty and having to find a QB in Vegas isn’t it.  But a team like the Chargers that has a franchise QB in place may be of interest to him 

Yeah, he's clearly highly thought of.  My guess is he's just be happy here waiting for the perfect job and just waiting for CB to get tossed in the meantime.  Not saying anything will happen this year, but next year is more of a possibility if AR lands on his face or the roster regresses.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think if they retain Pierce, it might be a good match. Raiders aren’t totally devoid of talent.

Good point, but maybe they want to hire the GM (Dodds) first? and let him run the evaluation process to choose the new HC?

Should Dodds get the job? He may target, to poach, several Colts players and/or coaches.

19 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Yeah, he's clearly highly thought of.  My guess is he's just be happy here waiting for the perfect job and just waiting for CB to get tossed in the meantime.  Not saying anything will happen this year, but next year is more of a possibility if AR lands on his face or the roster regresses.

how is he highly thought of? He was brought in from Seattle to assist in building the Seattle D. He has been a huge disappointment in my books.  I hope he goes, because this team needs to move on from this D as much as they can. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

how is he highly thought of? He was brought in from Seattle to assist in building the Seattle D. He has been a huge disappointment in my books.  I hope he goes, because this team needs to move on from this D as much as they can. 

Everyone in the organization is a disappointment in your book.  We could win the Super Bowl and you would still complain how we should have done it sooner. Your only a fan of your own thoughts in my opinion.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

Idk about the Chargers position because they are in a very bad place when it comes to cap space. They are either gonna have to have one very bad year with alot of players on minimum contracts to recover or use a lot of void years to spread out cap hits. 

Starting the season 34 million over the cap with only 37 players signed

Khalil Mack has 38 million cap hit

Bosa 36 million cap hit

Keenan Allen 34 million cap hit

Mike Williams 32 million cap hit

20 million in dead cap already from JC Jackson

You've got Herbert and they will be able to play with the cap but Telesco left the building with huge debt and an empty cupboard.

3 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Everyone in the organization is a disappointment in your book.  We could win the Super Bowl and you would still complain how we should have done it sooner. Your only a fan of your own thoughts in my opinion.

@Moosejawcoltdoesn't really need me to defend him, but the bolded is obviously untrue. Not one Colts fan on the board would complain if we won the SB that we should have done it sooner. Everyone would be happy and jubilant and realize that AR was the piece we needed to win the SB in all likelihood. 

If you could guarantee a SB next year, everyone would say it was worth the wait and praise Ballard. However, the issue is you can't. We haven't won a playoff game since 2018, we have never won the division under Ballard. he has a 54-60-1 lifetime record. Your post makes it seem like we are making the playoffs every year and getting beat (like the Manning days before he won one). This is far away from that, and much less a guarantee. Just making the playoffs and winning the division would be a huge step forward, which is why I was so upset about losing Saturday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

@Moosejawcoltdoesn't really need me to defend him, but the bolded is obviously untrue. Not one Colts fan on the board would complain if we won the SB that we should have done it sooner. Everyone would be happy and jubilant and realize that AR was the piece we needed to win the SB in all likelihood. 

If you could guarantee a SB next year, everyone would say it was worth the wait and praise Ballard. However, the issue is you can't. We haven't won a playoff game since 2018, we have never won the division under Ballard. he has a 54-60-1 lifetime record. Your post makes it seem like we are making the playoffs every year and getting beat (like the Manning days before he won one). This is far away from that, and much less a guarantee. Just making the playoffs and winning the division would be a huge step forward, which is why I was so upset about losing Saturday. 

Ballard isn’t being discussed here.  His second, Dodds, is.  It’s just another way for y’all to bash Ballard.

I also stand behind my statement that he would still have something negative to say if we win the Super Bowl.  My opinion stands.

The notion that Dodds isn’t highly regarded is subjective, I would agree with that.  But the fact that he has been repeatedly requested for interviews over the last 3 years means there is at least some interest there.  It’s not too much of a stretch to say he’s highly regarded, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

Ballard isn’t being discussed here.  His second, Dodds, is.  It’s just another way for y’all to bash Ballard.

I also stand behind my statement that he would still have something negative to say if we win the Super Bowl.  My opinion stands.

The notion that Dodds isn’t highly regarded is subjective, I would agree with that.  But the fact that he has been repeatedly requested for interviews over the last 3 years means there is at least some interest there.  It’s not too much of a stretch to say he’s highly regarded, in my opinion.

Moose actually said he was upset we were winning games because it would make Ballard look better.   

I actually love Dodds. Him and Morocco Brown. I think they are a huge reason we draft so well (which is our one strength). If we lose Dodds and/or Brown, it would be catastrophic to this team IMO. There is absolutely interest, and we've been lucky we haven't lost him so far.

• Like 3

Yup.  Agree.  I’m not going to say Ballard is perfect, because he falls short there, BUT…

One of Ballard’s strengths is that he makes his guys stand on the table for their guy.  If it merits the selection after all is said and done he will give credit to the scout.

Him promoting Morocco was just done because he truly values his judgement on prospects.  Ballard surrounds himself with smart people.  Dodds is one of those people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup.  Agree.  I’m not going to say Ballard is perfect, because he falls short there, BUT…

One of Ballard’s strengths is that he makes his guys stand on the table for their guy.  If it merits the selection after all is said and done he will give credit to the scout.

Him promoting Morocco was just done because he truly values his judgement on prospects.  Ballard surrounds himself with smart people.  Dodds is one of those people.

What gm is perfect?  I am excited for this off season.   I don't think any high priced free agents will be brought in.   I do think they may bring in some second tier guys to the defense.   Just a guess.   I can't wait for the draft

• Like 1

I've been frustrated with a lot of the pressers and quit watching them for my health, but I still watch "with the next pick" every year. I'm still like a kid in a candy store there because I love learning about the drafting aspect of the NFL. It's just frustrating they cut it to 2 episodes last year. Felt robbed.

Dodds and Morocco make great judgments on players and are usually more right than wrong. They are a big reason for our high hit rate in the draft.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I've been frustrated with a lot of the pressers and quit watching them for my health, but I still watch "with the next pick" every year. I'm still like a kid in a candy store there because I love learning about the drafting aspect of the NFL. It's just frustrating they cut it to 2 episodes last year. Felt robbed.

Dodds and Morocco make great judgments on players and are usually more right than wrong. They are a big reason for our high hit rate in the draft.

Yeah, all that stuff fascinates me.  I played Pop Warner, lol, so I don’t have a clue how the NFL works beyond game day broadcasts.  I was appreciative of Pittman for showing the behind the scenes of game day from a player’s perspective.  Blew me away how much food and drink was available to everyone.  

Would love to see more behind the scenes of a Thursday practice with meetings and coacing decisions.  I saw a part of a season with Hard Knocks and I was glued, ha.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What gm is perfect?  I am excited for this off season.   I don't think any high priced free agents will be brought in.   I do think they may bring in some second tier guys to the defense.   Just a guess.   I can't wait for the draft

IF…IF Ballard feels AR is the real deal I could see him possibly making a huge acquisition for a DE - wether in FA or in a trade.  He’s never done it (in my opinion) because the cost was never worth it.  in the past, if we got a high priced FA to fill in a position of need  we still wouldn’t go anywhere without a franchise QB.

IF he feels AR is his guy, or he feels his seat is getting uncomfortably warm - which I don’t think it is at this point - I just have a hunch he pulls off something big with our #1 this year.  

15 is a nice spot to move up from.

I’m probably completely wrong, but it’s nice to dream, haha.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

IF…IF Ballard feels AR is the real deal I could see him possibly making a huge acquisition for a DE - wether in FA or in a trade.  He’s never done it (in my opinion) because the cost was never worth it.  in the past, if we got a high priced FA to fill in a position of need  we still wouldn’t go anywhere without a franchise QB.

IF he feels AR is his guy, or he feels his seat is getting uncomfortably warm - which I don’t think it is at this point - I just have a hunch he pulls off something big with our #1 this year.  

15 is a nice spot to move up from.

I’m probably completely wrong, but it’s nice to dream, haha.

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Idk about the Chargers position because they are in a very bad place when it comes to cap space. They are either gonna have to have one very bad year with alot of players on minimum contracts to recover or use a lot of void years to spread out cap hits. 

Starting the season 34 million over the cap with only 37 players signed

Khalil Mack has 38 million cap hit

Bosa 36 million cap hit

Keenan Allen 34 million cap hit

Mike Williams 32 million cap hit

20 million in dead cap already from JC Jackson

You've got Herbert and they will be able to play with the cap but Telesco left the building with huge debt and an empty cupboard.

Not terrible points but I would argue that for one,  almost every open GM position is going to have salary cap challenges because after all,  if the prior GM was doing a good job then there would not be the opening to begin with. 

Second, having salary cap issues but a franchise quarterback is much easier to fix than the other way around.  People on this forum love to laud Caserio.  He came into an absolute mess left by O’Brien and even though he didn’t draft well his first couple years he could hide behind the fact that he had to get the salary cap under control first.  

I also think Dobbs is uniquely qualified for this kind of issue. But I’m just an armchair QB on a message board so I could be wrong. 

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

But he has managed to help Ballard hit on key players in the draft and allowed us to have flexibility every offseason as far as the cap goes.  I think people take it for granted that with the exception of last year we’ve been competitive without a franchise QB and we haven’t had to sell off our team because of salary cap issues.  Do you know how difficult that is to do year over year?  

we are also consistently one of the younger teams in the league.  You can’t be that without solid drafting. 

14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Dear God…..  

Are you not aware that his name is in demand most every year he’s been here.   Since the highly successful 2018 season, Dodds has been requested for interviews every year by multiple teams.   So it’s not the opinion of sycophant posters you don’t like, it’s the opinion of teams in the National Football League!   How do you NOT know this? 

• Like 1

Now that the Seahawks coaches have all been asked to look elsewhere for jobs, Dodds may try to go back home to Seattle and join the gang, especially if Dan Quinn is hired as HC there like a re-union.

23 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Ballard hired Dobbs from Seattle and yes it is a reflection of Ballard's decision making. How have the two of them been at recreating the Legion of Doom??

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God…..  

Are you not aware that his name is in demand most every year he’s been here.   Since the highly successful 2018 season, Dodds has been requested for interviews every year by multiple teams.   So it’s not the opinion of sycophant posters you don’t like, it’s the opinion of teams in the National Football League!   How do you NOT know this? 

i think he is talking about results  i understand he is in high demand .   when the  ballard regime including dodds have been here for 7 years and we have 0 division wins two play off appearances and only made the playoffs once in 5 years its okay to question dodds .   every single player on the roster is from the ballard regime at some point we need real results before we start praising dodds as the next great gm .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

i think he is talking about results  i understand he is in high demand .   when the  ballard regime including dodds have been here for 7 years and we have 0 division wins two play off appearances and only made the playoffs once in 5 years its okay to question dodds .   every single player on the roster is from the ballard regime at some point we need real results before we start praising dodds as the next great gm .

With respect, if you as a fan want to knock the current regime, knock yourself out.   But the NFL is telling you that you’re wrong.   When you’re being interviewed four straight years then the NFL is saying Dodds is very good at his job whether any fan agrees or not.  

And it doesn’t help, that @Moosejawcoltcompletely misstated Dodds and his job description.   And this a common occurrence.   

So for example Moose wrote that Dodds is credited with building Seattle’s legendary defense and he interprets that as Dodds was singularly responsible for that, as if his title was Exec in Charge of Defense.   This is FALSE.   Dodds was just as responsible for the success of Seattle's offense as well.  Seattle GM John Schneider gets all the same credit as Dodd’s. 

But it gets worse….

Because from that he writes that Dodd’s was responsible for the building of the Colts defense and implies that was his only focus.  Again, that’s FALSE. 

Dodd’s is just as involved with building of the offense as well.  He does NOT focus on defense.   But these are the kind of comments that Moose makes all the time.  All born out of his hate of Ballard’s 2018 drafting of Nelson and Leonard.   He’s been trashing both of those players for years.  Including not keeping BOTH players beyond their rookie year.   So Moose has been making bogus arguments for 6 straight years, 18-23. 

There are other things to say, but this is enough for now.  

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Dodds now interviewing with the Chargers as is Harbaugh.  Coincidence maybe maybe not.

Good for him! Good situation I think. 

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read Dodds is now going to interview with the Panthers.  He seems like he’s ready to move on this year.

Run Dodds, RUN!!

I know these guys don’t get many if any chances to be GMs, but you can’t really do worse than the Panthers I think. Teller is trouble. 

• Like 1