Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Needs?

JediXMan

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sitting at pick 15 currently. Not sure if there’s anything else to bump us up higher.

A stud corner or pass rusher unless Odunze, Nabers or Brock Bowers slide to No.15, which is very much possible.

Life is coming a full circle and Ballard goes from the lame duck Pagano year 1 No.15 pick of Malik Hooker to another No.15 pick. Hope he nails it this time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A stud corner or pass rusher unless Odunze, Nabers or Brock Bowers slide to No.15, which is very much possible.

Life is coming a full circle and Ballard goes from the lame duck Pagano year 1 No.15 pick of Malik Hooker to another No.15 pick. Hope he nails it this time.

Now at 15 you also have the ability to trade up into the top 10 for less the cost as well. Can’t wait and hope the right person just falls. 1-2 elite level players is better than 7 draft picks with okay backup level players.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

What do you think the reasons are that mpj has so few yards per catch?  Seems to me it’s mostly play design. Isn’t he a free agent?  Man if we don’t sign him and have to rely on a rookie wr to be our #1, we may be in trouble real bad. Heck I wouldn’t mind signing mpj and drafting down to get the best TE in the draft or another stud WR.  Who knows maybe Ar will turn pierce into the next randy moss because he can actually throw the ball far unlike minshew.  Sucky game but good season.  

Im definitely on the resign MPJ train.  But as far as his low avg, idk at this point.  Many will point to the various qbs, and that is a valid point.  We will see next year with AR if his avg goes up.

im against trading down because I’m fearing a run on wide receivers in the late first to early second and we will miss out on getting a WR1.

regarding Pierce, I’ve seen enough.  Because even when minshew has hit him I still hold my breath because he tends to drop it.  Pierce needs to improve on his route tree.  What I was trying to say in the OP is that all Pierce can do is run streaks right now.  I need to see more

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Would LOVE Brock Bowers to the Colts. Would be our George Kittle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I have done the simulator 3 times and Odunze was there at 15 2 times

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Scary Terry would be a great option He might be available for a 2nd

He would be, but unless the Commodes (my buddy is a Washington fan and that’s what he calls them) pay part of his salary, he’s due to make at least $15M.  

I assume MPJ would get at least $20.  

I can’t see Ballard paying two WRs that much.  He’d rather get a draft pick.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He would be, but unless the Commodes (my buddy is a Washington fan and that’s what he calls them) pay part of his salary, he’s due to make at least $15M.  

I assume MPJ would get at least $20.  

I can’t see Ballard paying two WRs that much.  He’d rather get a draft pick.  

He has made some comments about wanting to go to a winning team. I have a feeling he won’t be there next year. But he is 29 so I imagine he wants a contender.

10 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I didn’t realize we could jump up that much. That’s something we could be happy about.

I figured we’d be at 18th or 19th. That’s more than a 3rd round pick in value to move up 4-5 spots. 

we finished third in our division 2 years in a row now , ballard needs to start earning his paycheck

23 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Even though tonight was a tough way to lose I still think this team accomplished way more than I thought in year 1 with a rookie QB and Coach. Looking ahead this team has 70 million in cap space and will have multiple players coming back including AR, Blackmon and  Dallis Flowers. Pittman is guaranteed to be back as well.

Looking ahead to the draft and free agency what are some things the Colts should do to improve and build off this year?

Blackmon nor Pittman is not guaranteed to be back both are free agents and haven’t been extended yet. It’s possible they will receive new contracts but nothing is solidified yet.

I don’t think pitman should get #1wr money and if he does, let another team pay him. I don’t agree with the we need another #1wr, did Houston have two yesterday? It’s the qb, not the wr’s! If he signs for reasonable contract wr isn’t a top priority. The worst part of the defense is lb and should draft two in the upper rounds depending on who is available. A dual purpose te is needed in the upper rounds also. That would help the passing and rushing game. A lot of good wr’s come out every year and the colts could get one in the middle rounds. I think the d-line is ok and would look better with a more aggressive defense. I don’t want minshew back as qb and saving a lot of money, so a qb in the middle rounds is a must. I think I would rather have ehlinger, they must see something in him if they have kept him around this long.

1 minute ago, husker61 said:

I don’t think pitman should get #1wr money and if he does, let another team pay him. I don’t agree with the we need another #1wr, did Houston have two yesterday? It’s the qb, not the wr’s! If he signs for reasonable contract wr isn’t a top priority. The worst part of the defense is lb and should draft two in the upper rounds depending on who is available. A dual purpose te is needed in the upper rounds also. That would help the passing and rushing game. A lot of good wr’s come out every year and the colts could get one in the middle rounds. I think the d-line is ok and would look better with a more aggressive defense. I don’t want minshew back as qb and saving a lot of money, so a qb in the middle rounds is a must. I think I would rather have ehlinger, they must see something in him if they have kept him around this long.

Zaire literally lead the NFL in tackles so why are you suggesting two LBs? 

3 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Blackmon nor Pittman is not guaranteed to be back both are free agents and haven’t been extended yet. It’s possible they will receive new contracts but nothing is solidified yet.

I’d be shocked if they don’t use the franchise tag on Pittman if they can’t get a deal done.  He’s the one free agent I think there is little to no chance he leaves.

Blackmon will be interesting.  I think as a rule you should always be leery of giving players extensions that have a major career year in a contract year and there is the injury factor.  Still he’s young and a good player and Ballard does like to keep his own so I could see the Colts going either way on him.

3 minutes ago, husker61 said:

and I would trade down unless a top player falls that fits team needs.

5 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Zaire literally lead the NFL in tackles so why are you suggesting two LBs? 

that is the most meaningless stat. His tackles are mostly 5-10 yards down field and can’t cover anyone. 

I do like speed.

• Like 2

Something to remember when talking needs the Colts actually had a large number of their draft claas from this past season stashed on IR this year that we never saw much of.  

Players include:

Daniel Scott - S

Evan Hull - RB

Titus Leo - end

Jake Witt - T

i dont think any of them are going to push for starting jobs next year but they may very well factor in as depth players that influence what the Colts do at those positions.  

Also for the record I didn’t forget Richardson I just didn’t include him because I don’t think anyone forgot about Richardson and I wanted to spot light the guys I think may have been forgotten.  

I just don’t understand people thinking the colts need a #1wr. They had the 10th best scoring offense this year with a qb that couldn’t throw deep, make more than 1-2 reads, and wasn’t a good runner. You don’t think the colts offense will be a lot better with much better qb play? Maybe pitman can run more than short routs and pierce can hit some long passes and everything is good.

5 hours ago, husker61 said:

Our defense against the pass is terrible.

Against a competent pass def, this will be a problem for them. Watch Stroud struggle against the Browns next weekend because they WILL take Collins away.

Yes, but he will need to be replaced by someone with an attacking-style defense, no more of this triple vanilla, super soft zone nonsense. 52 years of this crap is enough. Will we be allowed to hire an aggressive, attacking coordinator? Remember when Fangio was here when Mora was coach, he didn't use his 3-4 mix-it-up defense we used a passive 4-3 defense that wasn't very good and Peyton had to outscore everyone.

6 hours ago, husker61 said:

that is the most meaningless stat. His tackles are mostly 5-10 yards down field and can’t cover anyone. 

I do like speed.

We can agree to disagree as being able to tackle is a very important technique in the game of football as a defensive player.

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I have done the simulator 3 times and Odunze was there at 15 2 times

It’s every year - the fans all like some player, and when that player is passed over by Ballard in the first round, you’re always playing what ifs.

I am sure Nabers, Odunze or Bowers might fall into that category where Ballard has someone rated higher than 1 of them at No.15 and ends up passing on 1 of the above 3 and fans get antsy again :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It’s every year - the fans all like some player, and when that player is passed over by Ballard in the first round, you’re always playing what ifs.

I am sure Nabers, Odunze or Bowers might fall into that category where Ballard has someone rated higher than 1 of them at No.15 and ends up passing on 1 of the above 3 and fans get antsy again :) 

If Nabers falls to us at 15 I could see Ballard passing on him. 6' 200 lbs are not Ballard measurements. I know we don't have his RAS yet, but unless Wayne pounds the table again I could see Ballarwd passing on him.

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If Nabers falls to us at 15 I could see Ballard passing on him. 6' 200 lbs are not Ballard measurements. I know we don't have his RAS yet, but unless Wayne pounds the table again I could see Ballarwd passing on him.

…and he ends up replacing Tee Higgins with the Bengals to join his college mates Burrow and Chase then :) 

Remember Josh Downs was not a Ballard type either, so I’m thinking it’s Steichen’s type we should be talking about moving forward 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Doesn’t look like it 

If Gus stays I think the likelihood of the 1st pick being an ER increases.  His defense is dependent on the front four putting up significant pressure.  We were 5th in sacks, which is great, but they have to create more pressure for the defense to perform at a high level in his scheme.  So if he stays I think Ballard will be looking for a player who can bring that pressure from the edge.  Now there is also a chance he could make a move in FA if a great player makes it to FA or he could trade the pick like he did for Buckner.  So he has a number of paths to acquire one.  A difference maker coming off the edge would really propel our defense to another level and most likely to a top 10 defense imo.  

Simulator. Love this one

IND

15.Nate Wiggins CB Clemson

46. Xavier Legette WR South Carolina

82. Edgerrin Cooper LB Texas A&M

99. James Williams S Miami (FL)

144.Drake Nugent OC Michigan

Sign a Top FA DE

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Simulator. Love this one

IND

15.Nate Wiggins CB Clemson

46. Xavier Legette WR South Carolina

82. Edgerrin Cooper LB Texas A&M

99. James Williams S Miami (FL)

144.Drake Nugent OC Michigan

Sign a Top FA DE

Top tier ends don’t make it to free agency.

• Like 1

Everyone saying the colts have to draft a top pass rushing end like it’s easy. There are probably more top qb’s and a better chance of success wit them than getting a top rush end. The colts have other more pressing needs that don’t have all that risk. The d-line is the strongest part of the defense.