Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Preview Texans at Colts plus injury reports

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

First night game for both teams the entire season as well. Something to take note for Stroudā€™s lack of experience.

Well Colts-Steelers game kinda trickled into the night with how early the Sunsets lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Ā 

The line is mostly still minus 1 with an occasional 1.5. Also seems to me that the talking head in the Bowen show is talking through his rear end. First of all , I don't believe 90% of the bets are on Houston and how would anyone know what % of total bets a team was receiving.

Ā 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Catloaf said:

This game is going to be tough. Ā If Stroud shows up strong, I doubt we win without some zebra interference...

https://atozsports.com/indianapolis/colts-vs-texans-nfl-week-18-officating-crew-bill-vinovich/#:~:text=The Indianapolis Colts and Houston,NFC Championship game in 2019.

Ā 

Colts / Texans assigned controversial officiating crew

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I once debated with a co-worker who would have rather the Colts lose in the AFCCG than to lose in the Super Bowl. For the life of me I could not understand that logic.Ā 
Ā 

The two weeks leading up to the big game are awesome, damn near magical. That is two more weeks of fun, of having something to look forward to - to have hope. And as Andy Dufresne said to Red in The Shawshank Redemption - ā€œhope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.ā€

Ā 

Kind of like Tennyson said - better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.Ā 
Ā 

Off my soap box now

:lecture:

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

All their games have been at 1 eastern.Ā 

Ah gotcha, thanks! Yeah I saw that as well. And in Houston time that means all home games were played at noon their time.Ā 
Ā 

Thatā€™s a pretty big difference.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ā 

Ā 

Sorry but I'm not buying 98 out of every 100 bets on this game are placed on the Texans. Here's one I found that's quite different . Plus I would think the % of money bet is more important than the % of bets. Simply because the smart action would tend to make larger wagers than the general public.

Ā 

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nfl/public-betting-trends/

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I once debated with a co-worker who would have rather the Colts lose in the AFCCG than to lose in the Super Bowl. For the life of me I could not understand that logic.Ā 
Ā 

The two weeks leading up to the big game are awesome, damn near magical. That is two more weeks of fun, of having something to look forward to - to have hope. And as Andy Dufresne said to Red in The Shawshank Redemption - ā€œhope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.ā€

Ā 

Kind of like Tennyson said - better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.Ā 
Ā 

Off my soap box now

More soap box for you! Ā Ā 
Ā 

I say it every year, but wish youā€™d post more often. Ā  More jskinnz equals better discussions here on the website. Ā  And thatā€™s always a good thing. Ā 
Ā 

As the President of your Fan Club I endorse this position! Ā  Ā  Ā :thmup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Off my soap box now

Crazy. Not to mention it's an accomplishment in of itself to win the conference and make the Superbowl.Ā 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He might not have much to throw too. Itā€™s going to be easier to shut Collinā€™s down with no brown and a limited Robert woods/ we have to do better on sceens because they do that a ton.Ā 
Ā 

Everyone says Texans are going to win. This would be huge for Colts to play well against the media darling stroud.

I highly doubt we will shut down Nico Collins.

In the first meeting he had 7 rec./146 yds/1 td ...which was just ridiculousĀ 

add to that Tank Dell had 7/72/1 (luckily for us Dell is not playing this time)

hopefully, this time around, we can at least limit Collins, and not allow him to single handily, blow up the whole game.

I fully agree with your assessment from an earlier post..,

the three keys to winning this game lies in:

stopping Collins.

containing their TE Schultz,

and somehow, if only our defense can learn to defend the screen pass

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I highly doubt we will shut down Nico Collins.

In the first meeting he had 7 rec. / 146 yds/ 1 td ...which was just ridiculousĀ 

add to that Tank Dell had 7/72/1 (luckily for us Dell is not playing this time)

hopefully, this time around, we can at least limit Collins, and not allow him to single handily, blow up the whole game.

I fully agree with your assessment from an earlier post..,

the three keys to winning this game lies in:

stopping Collins.

containing their TE Schultz,

and somehow, if only our defense can learn to defend the screen pass

They had dell and Collinā€™s. That is big when you have two. Someone posted how Collinā€™s stats are much worse on the rode. I looked and they are

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They had dell and Collinā€™s. That is big when you have two. Someone posted how Collinā€™s stats are much worse on the rode. I looked and they are

Yeah, but do you really believe it matters if Collins is not playing at home?

look at last week, the only player on the Raiders that we really had to fear wasĀ Davante Adams.

Fully knowing this, the Colts allowed him to put up 13/126/2 ...which again, is justĀ ridiculous.

Fortunately, we did win that game.Ā 

That being said, this is still Gus Bradley's defense, and just being realistic, I have little doubt, Stroud and company are going to kill us passing. Along with that, the Texans will probably put up a good running attack to boot.

Yet, I have a positive feeling about this game... Most likely, if we are able to at least keep it close for 3 quarters, it will probably come down to Minshew again.

Let's hope he has one more games worth of his magic!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah, but do you really believe it matters if Collins is not playing at home?

look at last week, the only player on the Raiders that we really had to fear wasĀ Davante Adams.

Fully knowing this, the Colts allowed him to put up 13/126/2 ...which again, is justĀ ridiculous.

Fortunately, we did win that game.Ā 

That being said, this is still Gus Bradley's defense, and just being realistic, I have little doubt, Stroud and company are going to kill us passing. Along with that, the Texans will probably put up a good running attack to boot.

Yet, I have a positive feeling about this game... Most likely, if we are able to at least keep it close for 3 quarters, it will probably come down to Minshew again.

Let's hope he has one more games worth of his magic!

His stats say otherwise. Just saying they are hurting at WR. When you only have one guy to concentrate on ur makes it easier.

Ā 

Lets come back to this after the game.Ā 

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

BTW Adams was less than ten yards per catch. It took a ton of targets to get those yards. Colts actually did a very good job on him. No game breaking catches.

I would beg to differ, although Adams may not have had a lot of big yardage catches, he still ate us up. It seemed he was always keeping long drives alive, by making easy catches on third and long. not to mention, the acrobatic catch for the TD. But giving credit, where it's due, the defender (Jones I believe) did a good job on that play. Just no way to defend it.

My point is, the Colts knew Adams was literally the only guy they had to try to contain. Yet we still let him have a huge game. Even Tiki Barber, or Ryan (I can't remember which) kept saying this.

Ā 

However, you make a good point, lets drop this discussion.

Hopefully you are right, and Collins won't be as effective minus Dell, or away from home, or he forgets to wear his lucky underware, or whatever...

Ā 

Like I said, I have a good feeling going in to this one.

...as you posted earlier, the Vegas line has moved again, and almost all the money is being bet on the Texans.

Also, most of the talking head experts are picking Houston (-1 1/2 points)

Taking everything into consideration, I like our chances.Ā My one and only worry is, the Colts can lose by one point, and the house still wins.

5 hours ago, KB said:

I'd say the only thing he really did was get the franchise QB. If he got anything else besides a franchise QB, everyone would say the opposite.

Ā 

With you saying that the Texans now have the best roster in the division, will you be changing your fandom from Jaguars to Texans?

he also got the best edge rusher in will anderson with smart moving up

• Like 1

Said it before, the key to the win here is almost all on the defenseā€¦they have to step it up and that includes Gus ā€œplay from the busā€ Bradleyā€¦he best get his guys on the players instead of leaving bus lengths of open field.

6 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

he also got the best edge rusher in will anderson with smart moving up

That is true, but that's not moving the needle on people's perception of their roster overall IMO. The shiney new QB is all that anyone cares about.

11 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

So unfortunately, it could mean one of these teams is getting screwed and this is the NFL referee crew that is being used to do it. Refereeing has been worse this year than any other. Like they are throwing it in the face of fans that it's on purpose and no one has the guts to call them out on it. Keep an eye on the spread, that could determine the final outcome with so much action on HOU. Like @1959ColtsĀ said, if it's -1 1/2 Houston, they could win by 1 while the House still takes most peoples money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Thought we we just having a discussion.Ā  Not sure how I am blowing anything out of proportion.Ā 

No worries. Basically at least for me, if we beat Houston (make the Playoffs) and Minshew even lays an egg in the playoffs, I am not going to complain about anything. The chances of us winning the SB is probably 5% as of now. We don't have a better roster than the Ravens, Chiefs, Bills, Browns, or Dolphins - all have better QB's as well. Minshew would have way overachieved if we make the playoffs, JMO. He has flaws but a lot of QB's do.Ā 

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No worries. Basically at least for me, if we beat Houston (make the Playoffs) and Minshew even lays an egg in the playoffs, I am not going to complain about anything. The chances of us winning the SB is probably 5% as of now. We don't have a better roster than the Ravens, Chiefs, Bills, Browns, or Dolphins - all have better QB's as well. Minshew would have way overachieved if we make the playoffs, JMO. He has flaws but a lot of QB's do.Ā 

Exactly! I agree man.Ā  I think even if we don't make the playoffs, Minshew has over achieved.Ā  If we make it, it's just gravy for me.Ā  And even though we don't have a better roster than those teams, we can still compete!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

Exactly! I agree man.Ā  I think even if we don't make the playoffs, Minshew has over achieved.Ā  If we make it, it's just gravy for me.Ā  And even though we don't have a better roster than those teams, we can still compete!

Yeah, any given Sunday or SaturdayĀ :thmup:. It has been a pretty fun season. I am always an optimist if I think we at least have a team that doesn't stink like in 2011 or 2017. I had us at 8 wins this year which was real optimistic. We have won 9, so the Colts have done better so far than what I even predicted at the beginning of the season.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, any given Sunday or SaturdayĀ :thmup:. It has been a pretty fun season. I am always an optimist if I think we at least have a team that doesn't stink like in 2011 or 2017. I had us at 8 wins this year which was real optimistic. We have won 9, so the Colts have done better so far than what I even predicted at the beginning of the season.

I had us at 4-5, WITH AR.Ā  I'm happy to be proven wrong.Ā  Can't wait for tomorrow night!

• Like 1

If the colts get to Stroud, we'll win this game. He can't get comfortable and attack our zones. Don't care if the Texans could be down three of their four top WRs. Shut the run down and force Stroud into rookie mistakes. Taylor and Moss are going to be key on offense. Run the ball down their throats.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

If the colts get to Stroud, we'll win this game. He can't get comfortable and attack our zones. Don't care if the Texans could be down three of their four top WRs. Shut the run down and force Stroud into rookie mistakes. Taylor and Moss are going to be key on offense. Run the ball down their throats.

Week 2 against the Texans we had 28 total pressures which is our 3rd highest of the season (29 against both the Panthers and second Titans game). Stroud still threw for 384 yards and 2 TDs.

Ā 

I agree we need the passrush to show up, but more than that we need our secondary and LBs to do their job in coverage.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Week 2 against the Texans we had 28 total pressures which is our 3rd highest of the season (29 against both the Panthers and second Titans game). Stroud still threw for 384 yards and 2 TDs.

Ā 

I agree we need the passrush to show up, but more than that we need our secondary and LBs to do their job in coverage.

Do not expect our LBs to cover well, we need to limit possessions, run the damn ball!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Do not expect our LBs to cover well, we need to limit possessions, run the damn ball!!

I don't expect them to, but we need them to.

Ā 

Limit possessions! Seems Moss may be back, so I hope we get JT and him going.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Ā 

Ā 

A lot of those yards were just colts playing prevent when the game was out of reach for the Texans

59 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ā 

Colts only did that to eat time. The game was in hand at that point

Maybe, but as weā€™ve seen this season our ā€œpreventā€ defense doesnā€™t prevent anything.
Ā 

Even if we get into a good position and weā€™re up big, I hope we donā€™t let up on defense.
Ā 

Iā€™d much rather the offense got the ball back, so we can pound the ball and run out the clock, than hope our prevent defense will prevent anything for the first time this season (hyperbole, but you get what Iā€™m saying?).Ā 
Ā 

On another note, for our offense we really need to get our run game going. The offense has been at itā€™s best, when we could run the ball.Ā