Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fix The Colts - 2024 Team

Regardless of the outcome of the game yesterday, I am STILL very happy with this coach and team....... I was expecting only 4-5 wins.

But I think we are all in agreement.....  This team has some holes to fill in the offseason and we need health at QB position for AR5

If I look at Colts FAs, I think these amounts would bring these needed players back, some of these numbers come from an Oct.  Stampede Blue article that I tweaked.

Grover Stewart - $12M

Michael Pittman Jr - $22M

Kenny Moore - $9M

Gardner Minshew - $7M

Tyquan Lewis - $3M

Julian Blackmon - $6M

Zack Moss - $3M

Rigoberto Sanchez - $3M

Total — $65M -Total $ to spend is 75M

We will need at least 6M to sign rookies leaving a whopping $4M "free"

However.......  with signing bonuses, the Colts can "Play games" (Like KC, and MOST other teams do)

You can move part of the above salary levels to get the one thing this team desperately needs

A TOP SHELF DE, consistent pass rusher

The player that we need to bid on is D. Hunter that is on the Vikings today.

This will cost us 21-23M. This can be added with "cap games" and restructuring

If you think about it the most expensive players are typically the Quarterback, the Left Tackle, and a Defensive end

We are in a unique position, that we are in a very favorable but TEMPORARY situation have two of the three expensive contracts on rookie contracts

I think we need to move THIS offseason, and this team with the right adds, could compete next year for the Superbowl

I also added the following draft (From a simulator)

This yields a new shut down CB to start, (If Cooper Dejean falls I would happily take him)

A "separation" blazing speed WR (With hands) to be opposite of Pittman

A new LB to play SSLB spot

And a playmaking FS...... MUCH needed on this team

I traded back in the first, which is EXACTLY what I think CB will do

Let me know your thoughts

image.png.3ee54952d8c72d06de103a7ea6f758f0.png 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The only players I would put a priority on bringing back are Pittman, Blackmon, and Moore.  I think I would let Grover walk for that money.  Especially after the suspension.  I think we could find a good replacement for less money like we did with Yannick.  I would like Lewis back.  We are deep enough with out Moss at RB imo.  Need a punter of course and Minschew at the right price.  If Higgins or Ridley hit FA I would go after them.  Don't think they will though.  So plan B would be to trade our 1st pick for a WR1.  That brings immediate help to AR for the offense.  That one player alone should make a huge difference for us.  If we are fortunate enough to land a free agent WR then that opens up a lot of possibilities for our first pick.  But securing a proven bona fide WR1 is now the number one priority for me.  We would need a lot of luck to hit on one in the draft.  Most likely he would not be a significant contributor from the start.  I am all in on the Diggs approach.  Trade for the WR if there is no one in FA.  All we have to do is look at how well the Pierce pick has looked.  Pittman took a little time and Downs might as well.  Time to get the alpha WR1 right now this off season.  JMO. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The only players I would put a priority on bringing back are Pittman, Blackmon, and Moore.  I think I would let Grover walk for that money.  Especially after the suspension.  I think we could find a good replacement for less money like we did with Yannick.  I would like Lewis back.  We are deep enough with out Moss at RB imo.  Need a punter of course and Minschew at the right price.  If Higgins or Ridley hit FA I would go after them.  Don't think they will though.  So plan B would be to trade our 1st pick for a WR1.  That brings immediate help to AR for the offense.  That one player alone should make a huge difference for us.  If we are fortunate enough to land a free agent WR then that opens up a lot of possibilities for our first pick.  But securing a proven bona fide WR1 is now the number one priority for me.  We would need a lot of luck to hit on one in the draft.  Most likely he would not be a significant contributor from the start.  I am all in on the Diggs approach.  Trade for the WR if there is no one in FA.  All we have to do is look at how well the Pierce pick has looked.  Pittman took a little time and Downs might as well.  Time to get the alpha WR1 right now this off season.  JMO. 

Any thoughts on who we would target in a  trade? I’m down with this idea that we need someone who can take over a game when necessary. 

Right now, most of our receivers are slightly on the slower side and not something opposing defensive coordinators are losing sleep over…

• Like 3

It would be nice to have the Taylor money when signing free agents (ours or others). Maybe the colts can trade him for a top wr? That’s right, nobody is going to want the colts big mistake.

linebacker is the biggest need on defense and has been for a long time and they need more than one! The offense has been ok with a backup qb that doesn’t throw the ball down field. Need to draft a qb that could be a capable back up or maybe surprise and be starter material. It seems to be something every team has to have with all the qb’s that are getting hurt. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, husker61 said:

It would be nice to have the Taylor money when signing free agents (ours or others). Maybe the colts can trade him for a top wr? That’s right, nobody is going to want the colts big mistake.

linebacker is the biggest need on defense and has been for a long time and they need more than one! The offense has been ok with a backup qb that doesn’t throw the ball down field. Need to draft a qb that could be a capable back up or maybe surprise and be starter material. It seems to be something every team has to have with all the qb’s that are getting hurt. 

I think the team is sold on AR5 as QB1. We could save some money and not resign Minchew but he is a great back up

Linebacker IS a need but I view it behind Stud DE    Playmaker FS and  CB

• Like 3

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would like Grove back as there is no DT on this roster who can stop the run like he can. But if he’s too costly I would like Teair Tart who would fill in nicely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Regardless of the outcome of the game yesterday, I am STILL very happy with this coach and team....... I was expecting only 4-5 wins.

But I think we are all in agreement.....  This team has some holes to fill in the offseason and we need health at QB position for AR5

If I look at Colts FAs, I think these amounts would bring these needed players back, some of these numbers come from an Oct.  Stampede Blue article that I tweaked.

Grover Stewart - $12M

Kenny Moore - $9M

Gardner Minshew - $7M

Tyquan Lewis - $3M

Julian Blackmon - $6M

Zack Moss - $3M

Rigoberto Sanchez - $3M

However.......  with signing bonuses, the Colts can "Play games" (Like KC, and MOST other teams do)

You can move part of the above salary levels to get the one thing this team desperately needs

If you think about it the most expensive players are typically the Quarterback, the Left Tackle, and a Defensive end

We are in a unique position, that we are in a very favorable but TEMPORARY situation have two of the three expensive contracts on rookie contracts

I think we need to move THIS offseason, and this team with the right adds, could compete next year for the Superbowl

This yields a new shut down CB to start, (If Cooper Dejean falls I would happily take him)

I think Zack Moss and Gardner Minshew played themselves into making more than the number you posted. Everyone else looks to be about where I would have them if I had to predict how much I think they'll end up getting in FA. But I would be more than happy if the Colts off-season played out similar to your prediction.

• Like 1

I hear Ballard talking about overpaying free agents, and yet he doesn't seem to have a problem paying big bucks to in-house talent. Maybe there shouldn't be a distinction between in-house and outside talent when it comes to assessing a player's market value. 

Anyway, I'd re-sign Pittman, so long as he doesn't want outrageous money. There seems to be a new trend with contract extensions, where it's not enough to simply get a new contract; it has to set the record as the highest contract for the position, almost as if for bragging rights, which I have a hard time relating to. I'd also re-sign Grover and Kenny (with the same caveat). 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I hear Ballard talking about overpaying free agents, and yet he doesn't seem to have a problem paying big bucks to in-house talent. Maybe there shouldn't be a distinction between in-house and outside talent when it comes to assessing a player's market value. 

Anyway, I'd re-sign Pittman, so long as he doesn't want outrageous money. There seems to be a new trend with contract extensions, where it's not enough to simply get a new contract; it has to set the record as the highest contract for the position, almost as if for bragging rights, which I have a hard time relating to. I'd also re-sign Grover and Kenny (with the same caveat). 

it’s not Ballard, it’s irsay. The colts have been doing this going back to bill polian.

• Like 1

Offensively, we just really missed Pittman making things easier for Minshew and Freeland was having his rookie moments which didn't help either.

Defensively, we need to stop being so stubborn with getting home with just our front 4. Our secondary needs help. Their young and can get exposed if a QB has time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think the team is sold on AR5 as QB1. We could save some money and not resign Minchew but he is a great back up

We should’ve never let Okereke walk. I don’t care what anyone says 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Grover Stewart - $12M

Kenny Moore - $9M

Gardner Minshew - $7M

Tyquan Lewis - $3M

Julian Blackmon - $6M

Zack Moss - $3M

Rigoberto Sanchez - $3M

Hunter might be a bit old though? He turns 30 next season. If we're going to offer someone a big contract I'd like to think it's a guy who could have a future with the team?

Chase Young is probably available and he'll be cheaper than Hunter too I think.

Also, I'm not sure Troy Franklin will be available at 54. I've heard him spoken of as an early 2nd/late 1st rounder?

Edit:

Payton Wilson out of NC State may also be an option at LB. Big guy who's been great in coverage.

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Grover Stewart - $12M

Kenny Moore - $9M

Gardner Minshew - $7M

Tyquan Lewis - $3M

Julian Blackmon - $6M

Zack Moss - $3M

Rigoberto Sanchez - $3M

First disagreement with u. If u r going to pay Pittman, I let him walk and go hard after Higgins and pay him a little more.

7 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Any thoughts on who we would target in a  trade? I’m down with this idea that we need someone who can take over a game when necessary. 

Right now, most of our receivers are slightly on the slower side and not something opposing defensive coordinators are losing sleep over…

Off the top of my head I can’t think of one to target.  But I think targets will become more clear when the season ends coaches are replaced and the cap is firmed up.

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Off the top of my head I can’t think of one to target.  But I think targets will become more clear when the season ends coaches are replaced and the cap is firmed up.

Maybe McLaurin from the Commanders? He’s a hometown kid born and raised in Indianapolis.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Maybe McLaurin from the Commanders? He’s a hometown kid born and raised in Indianapolis.

He would be a great add.  Rivera will be fired so a new coach is coming.  He has a big cap hit next year so he would a perfect acquisition and then rework his contract to lower the cap hit.  Being a hometown player is icing on the cake.  Don’t have to twist my arm.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

We should’ve never let Okereke walk. I don’t care what anyone says 

We didn’t have a choice.   It was Okereke or Leonard.   The financial hit of cutting Leonard then was too great.   

Ballard said he didn’t want to cut Okereke, but he didn’t have a choice.   Sucks for us, but there was a reasonable explanation. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

First disagreement with u. If u r going to pay Pittman, I let him walk and go hard after Higgins and pay him a little more.

I understand what you are saying but Pittman is an excellent WR2 

In Cincy …Chase gets max attention. Higgins GREATLY benefits from that attention

IMHO Pittman and Higgins are similar in talent.  

Imagine if Pittman had someone on the other side that actually frightens defensive coaches

Pittman may actually take his game up a notch if we brought in someone who could take the top off

38 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He is a speedster that you HAVE to account for

Unfortunately this team can barely afford one FA…. Rookie WRs are doing better and better….IMHO

You have to resign Pittman. He will get a bit more than 20

Do you also pay another impact FA WR?  This would put you over $40 for the position per year   Seems too much

i would rather take a swing at a rookie WR

There are no for sure DEs in this draft…. We had decent play but not pro bowl play 

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Unfortunately this team can barely afford one FA…. Rookie WRs are doing better and better….IMHO

Do you also pay another impact FA WR?  This would put you over $40 for the position per year   Seems too much

There are no for sure DEs in this draft…. We had decent play but not pro bowl play 

Maybe we could borrow the Vikings scouting department since they know how to find WRs?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

He is signed through 2026.  I think his contract sets up well for a restructuring to lower his cap hit.  I think RollerColt has hit on a candidate.  Worth a serious conversation I would think.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We didn’t have a choice.   It was Okereke or Leonard.   The financial hit of cutting Leonard then was too great.   

Ballard said he didn’t want to cut Okereke, but he didn’t have a choice.   Sucks for us, but there was a reasonable explanation. 

If that’s what it really was than I feel better about that.  The story as I understood it was he said he wanted to go somewhere else and we just obliged. 

4 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard has not been good at drafting wrs and defensive ends

I’m happy with Pittman and Downs, but yeah defensive end just isn’t sticking. Frustrating because we’ve had good moments, but our guys just haven’t turned into the game wreckers we’ve been expecting. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

If that’s what it really was than I feel better about that.  The story as I understood it was he said he wanted to go somewhere else and we just obliged. 

If I’m understanding you correctly, we’re talking about two different periods of time.   

The one in question is March of 23 when the Colts cut Okereke and kept Leonard.   

The other is late October when the Colts eventually cut Leonard.  There was talk of trading him, but eventually the Colts cut him so he could pick the team he wanted to go.   

So there was roughly a 7-8 month gap and that changed the financial impact to the Colts so they could afford to release Darius/Shaq.   At that point is was more of a win-win for both sides.   

Hope this helps.   

I don't think Kenny Moore or Zach Moss will be resigned with Taylor's new contract I imagine a rookie RB in the 4/5th round will replace Moss. As for Moore I suspect they will move Flowers to the slot and let Moore walk. We will then either add a veteran outside CB in FA or draft another CB in round 2/3.

Otherwise we will go best player available in round 1 and a LB in 2/3. We won't sign any big names FA (even though 1 or 2 will get tied to the Colts) and we will sign a couple vets in day 10 to 20 of FA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

I don't think Kenny Moore or Zach Moss will be resigned with Taylor's new contract I imagine a rookie RB in the 4/5th round will replace Moss. As for Moore I suspect they will move Flowers to the slot and let Moore walk. We will then either add a veteran outside CB in FA or draft another CB in round 2/3.

Otherwise we will go best player available in round 1 and a LB in 2/3. We won't sign any big names FA (even though 1 or 2 will get tied to the Colts) and we will sign a couple vets in day 10 to 20 of FA.

Probably the most accurate to what will actually happen. 

Pittman, Grover for sure. I hope we can keep Lewis. Let the rest go.

Hopefully we will be drafting for a new DC.

We need a Devonte Smith/Zay Jones quick speedster, a CB we can leave on an island again their best. A great safety and a top notch LB. 

We also need to be developing a really good DT and a G prospect. lol 😆

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I’m understanding you correctly, we’re talking about two different periods of time.   

The one in question is March of 23 when the Colts cut Okereke and kept Leonard.   

The other is late October when the Colts eventually cut Leonard.  There was talk of trading him, but eventually the Colts cut him so he could pick the team he wanted to go.   

So there was roughly a 7-8 month gap and that changed the financial impact to the Colts so they could afford to release Darius/Shaq.   At that point is was more of a win-win for both sides.   

Hope this helps.   

Okereke wasn’t cut he left as a free agent.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

the reason I say lb is because the line get decent pressure even though the colts almost never blitz. I don’t think the db’s are that bad, the system they are asked to play in isn’t helping them and they are young. The starting lb’s are way below nfl standards, number of tackles is the most misleading stat for linebackers. And do the colts have more than two?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zoltan said:

You don’t think Kenny Moore will be re-signed?    Seriously?    Kenny Moore?  

He’s not 30, and he’s having a great year grading around 80, and he plays a key position which he might be the best in the NFL.   

And you want to let him go?   

Kenny Moore?     I hope you’re wrong. 

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t think Kenny Moore will be re-signed?    Seriously?    Kenny Moore?  

He’s not 30, and he’s having a great year grading around 80, and he plays a key position which he might be the best in the NFL.   

And you want to let him go?   

Kenny Moore?     I hope you’re wrong. 

It’s not that I don’t like the dude and he probably has 1 or 2 good seasons left but he will be 29 years old at the start of the season and I think it will be a combination of the contract size Moore will want combined with the team wanting to use his cap space elsewhere. I see Moore signing a big contract early in FA, and hopefully that will give us some compensatory picks next year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, husker61 said:

the reason I say lb is because the line get decent pressure even though the colts almost never blitz. I don’t think the db’s are that bad, the system they are asked to play in isn’t helping them and they are young. The starting lb’s are way below nfl standards, number of tackles is the most misleading stat for linebackers. And do the colts have more than two?

middle linebackers should lead in tackles  because so many runs are up the gut. most of their tackles are for gains , some for first downs, i agree total tackles is a very misleading stat