Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Burrowless Cincy up next....

bluephantom87

These next two weeks are important considering that there's a bunch of teams log jammed in the AFC for the wildcard spots and tiebreakers will be crucial. Cincy and the Steelers are BOTH in the mix. For the Colts I guess a long shot division title is still possible if the Jags fall off without Lawrence but the Texans are right there also and have a better shot considering that they have already beaten the Jags whereas we've lost twice to them.

Anxious as heck for Sunday lol. (the feeling of having a team in the mix)

Don't know WTA just happened there..

I look at this game as two equal teams battling. I think Cincinnati will move the ball against us and score. So, our offense has to do the same. imo, it's going to come down to Gardner Minshew again...

Minshew will need to avoid mistakes as the Bengals defense does seem to bring a formidable pass rush 

The forecast is for wet, cold and windy weather. I'd imagine both teams are going to gameplan to run the ball, and use the short passing attack. 

Watching Zac Taylor's offense vs Jacksonville, I noticed he used some rather creative play calling, our defense needs to stay disciplined against possible screens, draws and reverses.

• Like 1

If the front 4 plays like it has been and by adding Grover the  rush defense will improve. We have having a special season. No one picked us to win even 6 game. I took the over of 6..5 am $150 richer. This team has exceeded all hope and this is a magical season. Go Horse!!! 

• Like 2

As of Friday the national media is split on the Colt's / Cincy game. I just hope for a win against the Bengals because the Steelers (our opponent next week) seem to be teetering on a full meltdown with consecutive losses to a couple of two win teams. Not only that but there are reports of in fighting amongst the Steeler players. If we can somehow win the next two games our chances look great to keep a playoff spot ESPECIALLY when tiebreakers come into play later on.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

As of Friday the national media is split on the Colt's / Cincy game. I just hope for a win against the Bengals because the Steelers (our opponent next week) seem to be teetering on a full meltdown with consecutive losses to a couple of two win teams. Not only that but there are reports of in fighting amongst the Steeler players. If we can somehow win the next two games our chances look great to keep a playoff spot ESPECIALLY when tiebreakers come into play later on.

Absolutely agree with that. I think if we can get to 10 wins this season then we’ll make the playoffs. 

Bengals won’t be easy for sure. Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon can quickly wreck a defense. Their defense is in a weird spot very much like our own. A lot of young drafted players who are still learning on the job. We should be weary of Hendrickson. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Absolutely agree with that. I think if we can get to 10 wins this season then we’ll make the playoffs. 

Bengals won’t be easy for sure. Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon can quickly wreck a defense. Their defense is in a weird spot very much like our own. A lot of young drafted players who are still learning on the job. We should be weary of Hendrickson. 

We could lose tomorrow. I don't think we will but if we do it would not surprise me.

1. We are due for a loss. It is law of averages because winning 5 games in a row rarely happens.

2. We are playing a team that has multiple good down field weapons. 1 great in Chase.

3. We are playing a team on the road that knows their playoff life is on the line. If we beat them, they are toast. If we lose, but then beat the Steelers we are still ok at 8-6.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

If Colts win their next two there is a good chance of the division still. Depends on Lawrence and how gimpy he is. Jags have browns and ravens coming up. Then they head to Tampa where Tampa might still be playing for the division. 

• Like 2

I'm in Cincinnati visiting with friends before we go to the game.  Weather is going to be dry and cold; 39 degrees.

If we can stop the run and make Browning pass a lot that opens him up for the blitz.  I hope we've game planned for dry weather and a heavy pass attack.

If we can get ahead early that may also make them pass more.

Is Juju going to play?  I didn't see yesterday's injury report.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

Also Watt is dealing with a concussion. Has a couple of extra days to pass the protocol ....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Maurice Jones-Drew's BOLD prediction on the Colts-Bengals: Both QBs will combine for 900 yards in a shootout. He didn't say who he thinks will win, but that would be a fun game to watch. 

Not too bold really, I mean we did put up over 30 on the Browns and they did the same to us. I would not be shocked if the final score is like that again. 

Edit: MJD complimenting us feels weird.

On 12/5/2023 at 2:30 PM, BlackTiger said:

Grover has zero sacks this year anyway.  hes graded well and the team is better with him by the eye test but he may not even be a top 5 pass rusher on the team

Grover's role has always been run stuffer.  I've never known him to be an elite pass rusher.

Had this game circled as a loss with Burrow, now it’s a toss up game. 5 in a row would so sweet and increases our playoff chances to 60% with a huge win today! Establish the run, limit the Turnovers and collapse the pocket on Browning will definitely bring home the Dub. 
Hope the zebras don’t get involved to derail us. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

I'm concerned about Joe Mixon. The Colts have trouble stopping the run, and last week he shredded the defense. The Colts need to keep up with the Bengals in what could be a high scoring game. 

this game has the possibility of being a ugly one

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 10:05 AM, DougDew said:

Over the past 15 years or so, its been my impression that mobility has gained on height as a metric of importance.  And that leads to accepting shorter QBs, And, the short passing game has supplanted the running game in many ways.  Throwing a short pass or passes from out of the pocket doesn't necessarily require NFL type of arm talent.  And out of structure back yard ball requires less coordination...sticking to a plan.  

I think all QBs in all level of football are starting to be the exact same guy.  Little diversity of talent or even body type.  The QB everybody raves about this year is Caleb Williams, and he's 6'1...which is short.  Anything below 6'3" I would consider short for an NFL QB.  If you are going to tell me that most NFL QBs are 6'3" or lower, I would say that it shows my point....the NFL is drifting towards short mobile QBs. 

Every QB in every team, and their backups, with every team running similar offenses built around the short mobile guy, gets to be a monotonous brand of football, IMO.

Edit:  Keeping in mind that each generation of player gets bigger over the decades, skewing a straight comparison of heights now with back in the day.  JMO

I agree with alot of what you say in short mobile is replacing tall 6'5 not so mobile qbs.

I think alot of this is oline are harder to find and even harder to replace after injury.

Also the Patrick mahommes effect is happening as teams try to copy the Chiefs. 

Mahommes is mobile and only 6'2

On 12/5/2023 at 12:27 PM, bluephantom87 said:

I hope the Colts don't make the same mistake as the Jags did by NOT pressuring backup qb Jake Browning who torched them for 354 yds and 2 TDs on 32-37 passing with a 115.5 passer rating to pull Cincy to a 6-6 record and VERY much in the playoff race.

I don't know if anyone has seen any of Jake's recent interviews but he has a lot of confidence and seems offended that people gave Cincy NO shot once Burrow went down. Jake said he's won many games on all levels and that the Bengals have mutiple playmakers that he can get the ball to. Might be a LONG day for our young secondary if that front doesn't get home! Hopefully we can put Jake down EARLY and OFTEN!!! Thoughts?

Gus should've glanced at this post!!! Colt's had ZERO sacks and let Jake Browning finish with a 122.1 QBR despite tossing a pick six that went off his receiver's hands.... :facepalm: I saw ENOUGH of Gus last season with the epic collapses on defense to not want him as dc moving forward and that was WITH Gilmore and Rogers!!!