Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is your view of Ballard changing?

twfish

Is your view of Ballard changing?   

75 members have voted

1. 1. Is your view of Ballard getting more positive?

• Never Waiverd
    • It has
    • Nope
    • I'll hate the guy even if we win back to back Super Bowls

I won't lie before this season I was beginning to get kind of down on Ballard, but seeing what Shane has done with essentially the same team (worst corner backs on defense) has me coming back around on Chris. Kind of just goes to show you how much of a hinderance Reich was for the talent on the team.

• Like 1

My view has changed drastically, although I still have some hesitations about the long term.

I think Ballard took a huge leap as a GM this offseason. He bucked so many of his usual trends when it comes to personnel decisions. There have been a couple of key instances where this has been apparent.

1. His FA class this offseason was as different from his previous ones. He handed out 2 significant contracts for 3 years or more to Ebukam and Matt Gaye. He also signed some lower tier FAs like McKenzie and Taven Bryan. 

2. In the draft he finally pulled the trigger on a QB which was probably a year or two overdue. In addition he drafted Josh Downs, who didn’t have the typical physical attributes that the other receivers he has drafted have. It showed a change in philosophy and how much he values the input of his staff.

3. By moving on from Leonard he showed the ability to move on from franchise guys and not just keeping them around because of their position in the locker room or how well liked they are by the fanbase. Making tough decisions for the better of the team is the mark of a good GM.

Overall he’s shown a lot of growth in a short amount of time. It seems like he’s learning while on the job and the 4 win season made him reactionary in a good way. He also absolutely nailed the HC hire.

I still have reservations about his ability to draft elite talent at the skill positions. While the Colts are enjoying success in the passing game and sacks by the defense, I hope he doesn’t settle like he has in years past. He should still be trying to find that game breaking WR1 and he should still be trying to find the 10+ sack a year edge rusher. That’s my biggest question because I’ve never questioned whether or not Ballard could assemble an average or slightly above average roster that is never really bad. My question has always been can he make the moves necessary to turn the Colts into a legitimate championship contender team like the Eagles, 49ers, Chiefs, Cowboys, etc…

I’m not 100% sold he can yet, but I’m way more confident now then I was a year ago.

• Like 9

My view is still the same for now. We've done nothing yet. Even if we make a playoff run and have Richardson next year, this is year 7. It will have taken 7 years to get our franchise QB (8 to be able to really use him), and the fact is Ballard still did whatever it took to make Reich happy when the Panthers knew in 1/2 a season he wasn't that guy. We wasted years not drafting a franchise QB and 7 years of my time putting faith into this team. 

It'll take a SB appearance (whether it be with Minshew or Richardson) to have me change my mind about Ballard. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have always supported Ballard and his roster construction.

His reputation as a talent evaluator sunk because the coach on the ground, aka Frank Reich - who, unfairly or not has already been canned less than a year from hire with the Panthers.

So his roster building is now on full display again because the coach knows how to use the personnel provided.

Look at the roster and the amount of low draft picks and UDFA’s that are prominent contributors. 

Look at the diversity of the WRs - Pittman the bully, Downs the technician, Pierce the deep threat.

The OLine (except Kelly) are all drafted by this FO.

The young DB’s are performing and growing right now.

Paye, Dayo, Tomi are all blossoming.

The Buckner trade was genius.

Ebukam is earning every bit of his salary as a free agent.

A lot of his moves are second guessed all the time but they’re paying off.

• Like 9

Still waiting to see impact/elite players at positions of high value.  QB, WR, EDGE, Back Seven/secondary somewhere.  I think he's finally found a LT.  Ballard has always found mid-level free agents to play well in lieu of drafting elite young players.  Margus Hunt, Jabaal Sheard, Darnell Autry, Eric Ebron, Mark Glowinski, etc.

AR played in 4 games, so its not like he should be penciled in as a great or even a good player yet.  Sometimes, that which is missed is often valued highly.

Meantime, its nice to watch the Colts win against bad teams (playoff run) and to see no real dominant team in the AFC.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, twfish said:

I won't lie before this season I was beginning to get kind of down on Ballard, but seeing what Shane has done with essentially the same team (worst corner backs on defense) has me coming back around on Chris. Kind of just goes to show you how much of a hinderance Reich was for the talent on the team.

Nope not at all. I’ve said all a long he’s a better Gm than most give him credit for and that our roster was better than our record. I think his f failure was when he hired McDaniels, who backed out and forced us into Reich, who was a decent choice given the other available options at the time(most of whom have also flamed out since) .  But Shane seems to be the guy right now that’s working. If Irsay stays patient with Ballard, I think we’re gonna seriously have something for the next decade and then some. Which is what we want

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Still waiting to see impact/elite players at positions of high value.  QB, WR, EDGE, Back Seven/secondary somewhere.  I think he's finally found a LT.

AR played in 4 games, so its not like he should be penciled in as a great or even a good player yet.  Sometimes, that which is missed is often valued highly.

Meantime, its nice to watch the Colts win against bad teams and to see no real dominant team in the AFC

Ravens are legit contenders, Texans look good right now,  and we’ve played several top 5 defenses. But we’ve also beaten the Chiefs in years where they’ve won super bowls so let’s not pretend like they only can beat the 2023 Panthers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My view is still the same for now. We've done nothing yet. Even if we make a playoff run and have Richardson next year, this is year 7. It will have taken 7 years to get our franchise QB (8 to be able to really use him), and the fact is Ballard still did whatever it took to make Reich happy when the Panthers knew in 1/2 a season he wasn't that guy. We wasted years not drafting a franchise QB and 7 years of my time putting faith into this team. 

It'll take a SB appearance (whether it be with Minshew or Richardson) to have me change my mind about Ballard. 

Well it is the GMs job to get the coach the players he asks for and by all reports including from Reich own mouth, Reich wanted Rivers and Wentz vs drafting one. 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Ravens are legit contenders, Texans look good right now,  and we’ve played several top 5 defenses. But we’ve also beaten the Chiefs in years where they’ve won super bowls so let’s not pretend like they only can beat the 2023 Panthers 

Its a long season.  Teams don't go undefeated, even the good/great ones.  This playoff run is marked by playing bad teams with average to bad QBs.  Lets not try to read more into this than what it is.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Its a long season.  Teams don't go undefeated, even the good/great ones.  This playoff run is marked by playing bad teams with average to bad QBs.  Lets not try to read more into this than what it is.

Oh I know. I’m just saying we’re not a total dumpster fire is all I’m saying. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh I know. I’m just saying we’re not a total dumpster fire is all I’m saying. 

Watch, if we win the division now, there will be many that say that we only won it because Lawrence got injured. Sad but comical at the same time. Yet we lost AR, Taylor, Grover, Brents for a lot of the season and even got cheated out of a game vs the Browns.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Watch, if we win the division now, there will be many that say that we only won it because Lawrence got injured. Sad but comical at the same time. Yet we lost AR, Taylor, Grover, Brents for a lot of the season and even got cheated out of a game vs the Browns.

It's comical, but probably true still. If Lawrence didn't get hurt, the Jags are probably ahead of us by 2 games and win the division eventually. I do agree we lost a lot of big players and did very well though, so there is a double standard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

As a Colts fan about as long (1966) as anyone on the Forum - I’m just glad our team is relevant in December.  So, buckle up and enjoy the ride — we never know where the road leads.  I’m also darned glad to have folks to share the ride with.  

:lecture: :colts::thanks:

Same here, you are a truefan and a good poster. I am 52 years old and already feel like this :lecture: lol. All the running I used to do for 20+ years has caught up to me. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Same here, you are a truefan and a good poster. I am 52 years old and already feel like this :lecture: lol. All the running I used to do for 20+ years has caught up to me. 

Understand.  Army for 27+ years, nearly 20 of them as a paratrooper.  Caught up to me as well!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

48 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

As a Colts fan about as long (1966) as anyone on the Forum - I’m just glad our team is relevant in December.  So, buckle up and enjoy the ride — we never know where the road leads.  I’m also darned glad to have folks to share the ride with.  

:lecture: :colts::thanks:

That's a post worth reading! Having fun again watching the Colts, priceless.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Understand.  Army for 27+ years, nearly 20 of them as a paratrooper.  Caught up to me as well!!

I have only been programming for 27 years, lol. Not nearly your level of activity. Thanks for your service!!! I can sit on my butt and enjoy my freedoms because of folks like you. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Trevor got hurt?!

2 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Always seems too. Im falling apart after 20 years myself. I hit 20 in Feb. and I am not and Was not ever airborne. So I can imagine how much worse that must be

• Like 1

My view of Chris Ballard has always been positive.

We ALL make mistakes in our workplace - at home - and - in our personal lives.

His job is under far more scrutiny than ours are.

You also have to remember that if the PLAYER ends up a bust - it's on the PLAYER - and - not on Ballard or the scouting team.

Not ALL players will make a successful transition to the NFL game.

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

My view of Chris Ballard has always been positive.

We ALL make mistakes in our workplace - at home - and - in our personal lives.

His job is under far more scrutiny than ours are.

You also have to remember that if the PLAYER ends up a bust - it's on the PLAYER - and - not on Ballard or the scouting team.

Not ALL players will make a successful transition to the NFL game.

No. If a player busts, it's on Ballard and the scouting team for drafting that player. The player doesn't draft himself to the Colts. Ballard and the scout team scout that player and draft him with the intention of him contributing to the team. All that work scouting and drafting the player is supposed to mean you are all-in on him thinking he will be a hit at the NFL level. 

All the player can do is his best. If that's not good enough, then Ballard and the scouting team made the wrong decision in drafting him, and should have drafted someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ballard still needs a QB, and with Richardson getting knocked out of almost every game he played, he needs to keep swinging at QB on some level.  First round?  No.  A little later or in free agency?  Yes.  I would keep adding.

• Like 1

I’m enjoying the heck out of this season. And if the Chris Ballard 7-year Master Plan was no division championships and currently 7-5 and fighting for a wild card spot with a possible franchise QB on IR and on his third coaching commitment, I’ll be the first to say “Chris, you nailed it, well done sir.” 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Always seems too. Im falling apart after 20 years myself. I hit 20 in Feb. and I am not and Was not ever airborne. So I can imagine how much worse that must be

I was a lot younger, heh.  Airborne training in ‘81 at 25.  Last jump in 2000.  A bit beaten up from it all, but still kicking.  Hooah.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 8:45 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Funny you almost need a good coach and QB to succeed. This shouldn’t surprise anyone. This is why I supported him getting a reset because I knew we were going to finally get the QB and his pick of coach.

I hope Ballard finds the guy responsible for hiring Reich and making the Colts previous QB decisions and lets the guy know that Chris is the GM now and has started making the crucial personnel decisions. 

Since selecting Richardson and  watching him play, and also selecting Steichen, I've been more optimistic.  I've been fine with his drafting,  except the hesitation at QB.  His FAs decisions have been good for me. I'm pleased with his process for selecting Steichen,  and it feels like the right choice.   I know everybody wants their #1 WR, but I believe he's on the team.  I'm much more positive on Ballard than I was last year.  I feel like we might only need a C (if Kelly doesn't return), a FS, and a coverage LB.  Definitely need depth on the D-line.

Once he spends some money in free agency on prime proven talent, then I will change my opinion.  For now, he’s a good GM that could be a Great GM.  

not saying go out and win the FA Trophy, but if there’s a player out there who can come in and immediately make difference and put this team on another level (ex. Chase young), then throw him an offer that won’t get easily outbidded.

• Like 1

I think Ballard FINALLY got the right coach. 

I think he listens to the coaching staff quite a bit on players; 

Gus wanted Yannick, Reggie (and prob Steichen) wanted Downs

Steichen brought in Minshew, McKenzie and on board with the AR pick 

Reich wanted Matt Ryan, Pascal, Parris Campbell and so on 

Steichen is infinitely better at picking players than Reich IMO, and I finally feel confident he will lead this team in the right direction. 

I'm excited for next year's draft with Steichen involved, and I hope Ballard cracks open the check book this off season too. 

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

No. If a player busts, it's on Ballard and the scouting team for drafting that player. The player doesn't draft himself to the Colts. Ballard and the scout team scout that player and draft him with the intention of him contributing to the team. All that work scouting and drafting the player is supposed to mean you are all-in on him thinking he will be a hit at the NFL level. 

All the player can do is his best. If that's not good enough, then Ballard and the scouting team made the wrong decision in drafting him, and should have drafted someone else. 

This is the first post in about 5 years which we actually agree. I fear hell is freezing over as we speak. 

I do think there is a caveat. If a player can’t play, it is incumbent on the organization to do a postmortem on the pick to find out why did they miss on the guy?

- Did they over look something in the tape or interviews that they should have caught?

- Did they go against standard traits they have in place for each position?

- Were they overly influenced by one persons bias towards the pick?

- Did they out too much on RAS and overlook that the guy is not in love with football

There are any number of things they can review to see why the puck went south. The key is to do the study so they can learn from it on future players. But even then - busts will happen. It is an in-exact science.

I think Polian has said even the best only get picks right about 55% of the time. I don’t recall the exact figure or context but the point is teams will miss. It happens every year to every team. Just need to learn the why behind the miss. 

• Like 1

My opinion on Ballard really has not changed. I’ve always thought he is a good GM. I even find the things that others have blasted him for to be good characteristics that I want in a GM. For instance, I don’t mind that he has a range that he will pay for a free agent at a given position and will not budge from that. I personally don’t find that discipline to be a weakness. 

On the search for a QB post Luck, I only really fault him for the Matt Ryan deal. The Rivers deal was a success that they expected to get one more year out of. With Wentz the next year, they thought they may have had a franchise QB. I get the thinking on both. 

The Ryan ship had sailed so to me that a mis-step. But even then, maybe they went that route because they saw no one from that QB class that could make a difference. Plus I think what I said above applies - he did not make a love for the sake of making a move. He had discipline which I appreciate. 

My two cents…

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think Ballard FINALLY got the right coach. 

I think he listens to the coaching staff quite a bit on players; 

Gus wanted Yannick, Reggie (and prob Steichen) wanted Downs

Steichen brought in Minshew, McKenzie and on board with the AR pick 

Reich wanted Matt Ryan, Pascal, Parris Campbell and so on 

Steichen is infinitely better at picking players than Reich IMO, and I finally feel confident he will lead this team in the right direction. 

I'm excited for next year's draft with Steichen involved, and I hope Ballard cracks open the check book this off season too. 

Gus has also wanted Ebukam for 2 years. He finally got his guy.

• Like 1