Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard to the Eagles...

Indyfan4life

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Not surprised. They waived Derek Barnett, I felt it was to make room for Leonard. Wish him the best!!!

Derek Barnett was a stud for the UT Vols. I knew he didn’t have a high ceiling but had a great motor. Unfortunately he has always underperformed in the pros for a first round pick. I believe he tore his acl last year. Probably the beginning of the end for him. 

30 minutes ago, w87r said:

Funny Eagles and Cowboys play each other this week 

Cowboys lost this one.

Good luck Shaq.

Just not sure if they will throw him in there in a rivalry game right away, takes time to get used to a new D, probably a few weeks. I presume we will see him after the Cowboys game.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Hope they hand the Cowboys the 2nd loss in one week. 

I don't like the Cowboys, but I will be rooting for them this week.

Nothing to do with Shaq.

I just don't like Sirianni or anything Philly for that matter. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Nothing to do with Shaq.

Philly fans like to be involved in misery of some sort. They track Carson Wentz even after he has left the Colts, they want to revel in his misery. They do that with other players that have left them as well. Only one they wished well was Doug Pederson because he brought them their only SB. And yes, Nick Foles too. They never acknowledge Carson was a big part of them getting that HFA. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

Nothing to do with Shaq.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Philly fans like to be involved in misery of some sort. They track Carson Wentz even after he has left the Colts, they want to revel in his misery. They do that with other players that have left them as well. Only one they wished well was Doug Pederson because he brought them their only SB. And yes, Nick Foles too. They never acknowledge Carson was a big part of them getting that HFA. 

For some of those many reasons, it was so nice to see 49ers beat down the Eagles on Sunday. And, for all the trash talk that Eagles players did leading up to the 49ers game, lol.

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just not sure if they will throw him in there in a rivalry game right away, takes time to get used to a new D, probably a few weeks. I presume we will see him after the Cowboys game.

Sitting out is nothing new for Leonard :funny:

Anyway, seriously hope he gets back to his rhythm and plays few more years in good health. 

This is what good teams do. They get a player with bounceback potential after he's been dropped on a one-year deal to try and win a SB for cheap. We pay him 20 million a year when he's injured and he gets released and hurts our production and cap.

Best of luck to you in Philly Leonard! This is kinda how I thought about Von Miller when he was traded to the Rams and they won a SB. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

What are the Cap ramifications for the Colts?

Not a single penny changes. Only if he’d been claimed via waivers would it had made any difference. Basically they ate his guaranteed money and have a small dead hit next season

Sirianni said it is possible Leonard plays this Sunday.

Sirianni on Leonard:

"“We know we’re getting the right person, right leader with all that,” Sirianni said. “And we still have confidence from the tape that he still can play. And he’s been a high-level player in this league for a very long time — ’18 his first year in. That’s a long time to be a high-level [player], three-time All-Pro player. And so, still has a knack to take the ball away. Still has that knack to run and hit the ball carrier. Still has that length that he had to make throws hard in the passing lane".

Colts made the right decision for their culture and future,

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

one of ballards worst moves he will help them win

OFM….    For your consideration. 

Ballard didn’t make this decision, one of this magnitude, without talking it over with a good number of people.   I’ll list them. 

Jim Irsay                   Owner

Shane Steichen.       HC

Ed Dodds.                  ASST GM

Morocco Brown.       PERSONNEL VP

Ballard does not make such a big decision  without maximum input from those around him.   None of the guys I listed found out about the decision by reading the Indy Star newspaper.   Ballard is collaborative about these things. 

I give you my word, I’m not yanking your chain.   

Also, why should Ballard care that Leonard is going to help Philly win?   So?  Who cares?   They’re in the NFC,  so it’s the best scenario for the Colts.  

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

OFM….    For your consideration. 

Ballard didn’t make this decision, one of this magnitude, without talking it over with a good number of people.   I’ll list them. 

Jim Irsay                   Owner

Shane Steichen.       HC

Ed Dodds.                  ASST GM

Morocco Brown.       PERSONNEL VP

Ballard does not make such a big decision  without maximum input from those around him.   None of the guys I listed found out about the decision by reading the Indy Star newspaper.   Ballard is collaborative about these things. 

I give you my word, I’m not yanking your chain.   

Also, why should Ballard care that Leonard is going to help Philly win?   So?  Who cares?   They’re in the NFC,  so it’s the best scenario for the Colts.  

he should care that he gave an elite player away for free

53 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

he should care that he gave an elite player away for free

No one was going to give up a draft pick or player for Leonard.   Ballard is a masterful trader.  He didn’t release Leonard without checking the market.   I’m sure you noticed when Leonard was released no team claimed him with his remaining contract.  They all waited until he clears waivers so the Colts would be stuck the rest of the financial hit.  

Also releasing him is what teams often do for former top players.   You're letting him pick his future team rather than trading him away to a team he may not want to play for.   This is good for Leonard.   It’s a classy final move. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one was going to give up a draft pick or player for Leonard.   Ballard is a masterful trader.  He didn’t release Leonard without checking the market.   I’m sure you noticed when Leonard was released no team claimed him with his remaining contract.  They all waited until he clears waivers so the Colts would be stuck the rest of the financial hit.  

Also releasing him is what teams often do for former top players.   You're letting him pick his future team rather than trading him away to a team he may not want to play for.   This is good for Leonard.   It’s a classy final move. 

ballard overpaid him for the lb position and was trying to correct his mistake hopefully it does not come back to bite us as many of the players he let go did

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard overpaid him for the lb position and was trying to correct his mistake hopefully it does not come back to bite us as many of the players he let go did

Who are many of the players that Ballard let go did?    As a result of signing Leonard?   

To the best of my knowledge,  there’s one.  Okereke.  When Bobby left Ballard publicly said he would’ve kept Okereke had they not signed Leonard.  Ballard doesn’t often publicly second guess himself like that over a player.  It’s the only time I can remember.   

If you’re going to point to Autry and Houston, their decisions were BEFORE Leonard — not related.   Otherwise, I don’t know who you could be referring to? 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who are many of the players that Ballard let go did?    As a result of signing Leonard?   

To the best of my knowledge,  there’s one.  Okereke.  When Bobby left Ballard publicly said he would’ve kept Okereke had they not signed Leonard.  Ballard doesn’t often publicly second guess himself like that over a player.  It’s the only time I can remember.   

If you’re going to point to Autry and Houston, their decisions were BEFORE Leonard — not related.   Otherwise, I don’t know who you could be referring to? 

you misunderstood, i did not say shaq was related to the others

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fine.   But you talked about players who Ballard let go..    so who are you referring to?   

i did not say how many , you named some, add gilmore and  anthony walker I am  not going to take the time to look all of them up for you. but these named were good players who did well after ballard did not keep them. he says we sign our own but shows otherwise

55 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i did not say how many , you named some, add gilmore and  anthony walker I am  not going to take the time to look all of them up for you. but these named were good players who did well after ballard did not keep them. he says we sign our own but shows otherwise

OK….

Gilmore left because he could see the team was not going to be competitive this year and he wanted to go to a team with hopes of a deep post-season run.  CB granted his wish. 

Walker was let go because (A) linebacker is a devalued position, and (B) Walker plays the run better than he does the pass,and (C) no team can keep everyone, that’s a function of the salary cap.  All 32 teams let go of players they want to keep.  Happens every year.  

And when Ballard let Walker go, this is what he said publicly.   That Walker was one of his favorite players of all time and that he was so smart he predicted Walker would someday be either a head coach or general manager, whatever he wanted to be.  Chris Ballard LOVES Anthony Walker. 

As for paying our own, CB is referring to the players he drafts.  Walker was a victim of the position he plays.  You can’t keep everyone.  

41 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

shaq will start sunday night at middle linebacker for the eagles  per espn. what a gift ballard gave the eagles

The gift was given to Shaq.   To let him choose the best opportunity for him to succeed.   It was a classy professional courtesy to one of the best players in franchise history.   Why you care so much about the Eagles is a mystery.   Be happy for Shaq and let it go. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The gift was given to Shaq.   To let him choose the best opportunity for him to succeed.   It was a classy professional courtesy to one of the best players in franchise history.   Why you care so much about the Eagles is a mystery.   Be happy for Shaq and let it go. 

i would be happy if he was still a colt and helping us win