Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Saints

1959Colts

Vegas line opened on Sunday with Colts (+1 1/2 point) home underdogs vs Saints.

Has now flipped to Colts (-1 point) favorites

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/news/saints-season-struggles-future-comes-down-ten-games

Saints Season Comes Down to 10 Games

excerpt from article:

...New Orleans is a team that seemingly has a lot of offensive issues, and in the same breath knows they could just as easily be 5-2 or 6-1 right now if things went their way. However, they are what their record says at 3-4...

Saints Offensive Struggles

The two biggest eyesores for the Saints offense right now are in the red zone (37.5%) and 3rd Down (34.26%). That ranks 25th and T-28th in the NFL right now. What's maddening is how well they are doing defensively, as they have the second best 3rd Down unit in the league at 30.53%. The defense has done its job for nearly three seasons, and the offense has to catch up...

...What if they put out the same product on Sunday? Will it prompt a quarterback change? What if the offense continues to struggle on 3rd Down and in the red zone? Will it actually lead to a play caller change? What if the Saints put the offense together? How long will it last? What if the Saints can't win any of these next three favorable games? Will we see major changes?

The Saints are gambling with a lot of 'what if' things right now, and it's either going to work or not. If it works, then will these issues actually be fixed for good, or will they rear its ugly head in the postseason? If it doesn't work, then everyone should expect moves made in the front office and beyond to compensate for a third consecutive missed postseason...

The Colts always seem to make Derek Carr look like the second coming of Joe Montana! I don’t trust our defense to make to the NECESSARY stops when NEEDED against any team passing the ball with the game on the line. See Rams, Browns and first Jags game. Even though in all those games the offense had turnovers it still came down to the defense needing to make a stop to STEAL (due to our turnovers) a victory after getting down early.

The league philosophy is more aggressive on a whole. Whether it be gms making bold moves for the now to QUICKLY turn teams around or coaches going for it on 4th downs seemingly on regular basis (sometimes on their side of the field) and with defenses bringing heat from anywhere to slow down passing attacks by getting to the quarterback.

Teams apply PRESSURE to the Colt qbs. The Colts in return allow sunshine in the pocket for opposing qbs and free releases with nice 10yd cushions for receivers. Gus acts like he has an ELITE front four with top tier DEs and that THIS secondary (personnel wise) is equal to the "Legion of Boom!" Our team has guys that are more than capable of blitzing like EJ, Shaq, Zaire, Blackmon and K Moore to name a few. Gus is stubborn to a fault running "his" DATED system and is either unable or refuses to ADAPT in today's passing league. I know we have young corners but cater to THEIR strengths. It's mind blowing to think Mr "I don't believe in utilizing the blitz much" did it 47% of the time against Lamar in the Ravens win when half their critical players were out.... Go figure.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just looked at stats. Saints are not very good at run or pass defense. They just are not allowing a lot of points.

Colts scored 38 vs. Cleveland. In other games against Cleveland 49ers scored 17, Ravens 28, Titans 3, Pittsburgh 26 and Bengals scored 24. All this ragging on Minshew who happens to be a backup tells me some here have forgotten the sad QB stats on the starting QBs before him AR excluded.

True, 38 points against the NFL's top defense after 4 turnovers is pretty impressive. Anytime you drop 38 on somebody you should win. You're not asking the defense to do much. If they let the opponent drive 80 yards for the win behind a backup QB, that's not on the offense. They did their job, even with the mistakes. And this isn't an outlier, it's a pattern. We've done this for years. Anybody remember the Dallas and Vikings games last year? We can't close teams out. I'd rather be down with the ball in the last two minutes than ahead playing defense. I told my wife the Browns would drive the field and score with 20 seconds left to win. I think it was 15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saints pass rush versus our OL, that is the key to the game. We have to get a lead and close it out this time, as opposed to the 4th qtr. comebacks allowed to teams.

I told this after the Ravens game - our D did not let the game get away from us in the 4th qtr., that is why we won. If Gus and his D schemes and our pass rush deliver when needed, we can close out with a lead. Otherwise, same old, same old, unfortunately.

Whenever the Colts played against Derek Carr, the score was close no matter the outcome.  I'm not taking the Saints lightly. 

About Olave: I didn't think that going 35 miles over the speed limit would require jail time. If no one was hurt, It seems that a speeding ticket would be the only punishment. This was Louisiana, so maybe they have stricter laws. 

6 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Whenever the Colts played against Derek Carr, the score was close no matter the outcome.  I'm not taking the Saints lightly. 

About Olave: I didn't think that going 35 miles over the speed limit would require jail time. If no one was hurt, It seems that a speeding ticket would be the only punishment. This was Louisiana, so maybe they have stricter laws. 

I would say it depends on what the posted speed limit was. If it was 70 and he was doing 105, I think that would justify an arrest

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe a long  long shot but I wonder if they could move Blackmon to corner and give cross a shot at safety.

This is when I start getting frustrated. We need more players at corner, bottom line. Moving guys around isn't the answer. Moore is having a good season, but he doesn't play well on the outside. Baker gets cooked every time he plays; and I say that as someone who understood coming in that we were going to have ups and downs with a young secondary, but that doesn't mean we should just keep trotting out underperforming players.

The developmental secondary had some good stuff going. Flowers was playing well, and now he's hurt. Brents was up and down but showing some talent and ability, and he's hurt. Jaylon Jones is playing okay. Baker is basically our 6th option at outside corner, and it shows. He probably shouldn't be expected to play a role at corner anymore.

I'd really like to see us sign a veteran to help, or even make a reasonable trade for a guy. If they're seriously considering moving Moore to the outside rather than adding someone... yikes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is when I start getting frustrated. We need more players at corner, bottom line. Moving guys around isn't the answer. Moore is having a good season, but he doesn't play well on the outside. Baker gets cooked every time he plays; and I say that as someone who understood coming in that we were going to have ups and downs with a young secondary, but that doesn't mean we should just keep trotting out underperforming players.

The developmental secondary had some good stuff going. Flowers was playing well, and now he's hurt. Brents was up and down but showing some talent and ability, and he's hurt. Jaylon Jones is playing okay. Baker is basically our 6th option at outside corner, and it shows. He probably shouldn't be expected to play a role at corner anymore.

I'd really like to see us sign a veteran to help, or even make a reasonable trade for a guy. If they're seriously considering moving Moore to the outside rather than adding someone... yikes.

They need a corner that can just step in and play right away. Not one that will take a couple weeks to get acclimated.  My guess is the guy they got off waivers will get some time this Sunday.  A vet is the real answer.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They need a corner that can just step in and play right away. Not one that will take a couple weeks to get acclimated.  My guess is the guy they got off waivers will get some time this Sunday.  A vet is the real answer.

I'm sure every team would like to have a guy like that. 

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well the quote says Gus says he doesn’t anticipate it happening (moving Kenny) because of how well he’s playing the slot.  So I am guessing Gus was asked have you discussed moving Kenny?  Gus answered yes we have (as they probably have discussed all options) but we aren’t doing that.  I am guessing the guy who sent the tweet asked the question so he ran with the lead based on his question which was have you discussed this rather than what Gus really told them which is we aren’t doing that,

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Show me where you get that guy in the middle of the season.  Teams want that in the off-season and have a hard time finding them.  Most players, even vets, require at least a little time to get up to speed in a new system.  Let’s also remember the guys available right now are out there for a reason.  They weren’t good enough to make 32 teams final 53.  I’d love to find a magic answer out there but odds are you are probably just going to find another Baker.  I don’t mind making a change because Baker is awful I just have really low expectations.

42 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe a long  long shot but I wonder if they could move Blackmon to corner and give cross a shot at safety.

Blackmon has been playing his position really well. Just sign a FA corner like William Jackson that is experienced, the one that Steelers let go to hold the fort. Or trade for Jaylon Jones for a 3rd rounder.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Show me where you get that guy in the middle of the season.  Teams want that in the off-season and have a hard time finding them.  Most players, even vets, require at least a little time to get up to speed in a new system.  Let’s also remember the guys available right now are out there for a reason.  They weren’t good enough to make 32 teams final 53.  I’d love to find a magic answer out there but odds are you are probably just going to find another Baker.  I don’t mind making a change because Baker is awful I just have really low expectations.

Well the trade deadline is next week.  I have to think if Ballard really wanted to find one he could.  Not an all pro but a capable starter.

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Veteran help is the way to go. Sound assignment football, might come short against elite WRs but most of the time it should work. That is why I mentioned William Jackson III, CB, that the Steelers let go.

Or trade a 3rd rounder for Jaylon Jones from the Bears??

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Well the trade deadline is next week.  I have to think if Ballard really wanted to find one he could.  Not an all pro but a capable starter.

Ballard won't want to part with a 1st or 2nd rounder for a guy like Patrick Surtain.

But he might be fine with a 3rd rounder for Jaylon Jones from the Bears, so that is what I was thinking. The season could go down spiraling if we don't have quality bodies for CB.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Meh.  No drugs or alchohol?  

It so, just slow down kid and quit being stupid.  

12 hours ago, IndyEric07 said:

I’m sure they will still let him play Sunday since it’s against the Colts😒! Any other team and he’d be sat out!

For speeding?