Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Scores week 5. **Updated with cumulative season grades.

Solid84

12 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I thought this message board traded Smith a couple weeks ago?

Well, personally I take these PFF scores as guidelines. If we go back and watch Smith's tape I can think of two plays where I thought he gave up the sack but wasn't credited with it.

Generally though I find they do match what I see.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Well, personally I take these PFF scores as guidelines. If we go back and watch Smith's tape I can think of two plays where I thought he gave up the sack but wasn't credited with it.

Generally though I find they do match what I see.

Thanks!  Really appreciate the report.  

Isn't this the second time that the Run Blocking has been at least Good and the Run Game was below average?  I agree with you, it doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when Moss went off like he did.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Thanks!  Really appreciate the report.  

Isn't this the second time that the Run Blocking has been at least Good and the Run Game was below average?  I agree with you, it doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when Moss went off like he did.

Yes, second game with great run blocking - first was against the Texans.

I think it's mainly down to the Run grade being a total grade for all runners. Moss' individual grades were good, Taylor's were bad and AR's were Below Average.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I was pretty disappointed in Odeyingbo yesterday. Despite his delayed start in his rookie year he should still be having more of an impact than he is for a second round pick. Is he going to be another one of those second round picks? :pokerface:

He's only had one great week so far, the rest have generally been below average or worse. Upside is his tackling has been consistently good, everything else is a bit swingy though.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

He's only had one great week so far, the rest have generally been below average or worse. Upside is his tackling has been consistently good, everything else is a bit swingy though.

At least he’s not a healthy scratch every week, unlike some second round picks we’ve had. 

Yet. 

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I was pretty disappointed in Odeyingbo yesterday. Despite his delayed start in his rookie year he should still be having more of an impact than he is for a second round pick. Is he going to be another one of those second round picks? :pokerface:

Did you see he was double teamed darn near every pass rush?  After the monster game against the Rams the Titans chose Dayo to get the double teams.  When I got home from Indy last night I re-watched the game focusing primarily on line play.  On offense I was impressed by the way Fries and Nelson played up to and just past the whistle.  On defense I noticed Dayo was getting double teamed a lot but it also allowed the pressures from Buck, Lewis, and Ebukam. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

If Zach Moss only was rated Good, what would he have to do to be Great? Run 400 yards and cook a 5 star dinner?

Sometimes PFF grades don’t match everything you see in a game because they try to grade everything not just one aspect of a position.  Example Franklin graded bad, primarily for coverage issues but I think if you watched the game you know Franklin had a great game.  That’s why PFF is just another tool used to evaluate players and not the end all be all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sometimes PFF grades don’t match everything you see in a game because they try to grade everything not just one aspect of a position.  Example Franklin graded bad, primarily for coverage issues but I think if you watched the game you know Franklin had a great game.  That’s why PFF is just another tool used to evaluate players and not the end all be all.

Thanks for the comment.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Did you see he was double teamed darn near every pass rush?  After the monster game against the Rams the Titans chose Dayo to get the double teams.  When I got home from Indy last night I re-watched the game focusing primarily on line play.  On offense I was impressed by the way Fries and Nelson played up to and just past the whistle.  On defense I noticed Dayo was getting double teamed a lot but it also allowed the pressures from Buck, Lewis, and Ebukam. 

I made him an object of interest yesterday because with Paye out this should have been a time for him to step up and play like an actual second round pick. I did not see him getting double-teamed at a dramatically higher rate than anyone else. He just didn’t get it done yesterday. 

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Thanks for the comment.

I think you may have misunderstood his comment.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You don’t need to work for the company to know how it grades.  No need for a personal shot.

I think he must have misunderstood.

I agree with both of your initial comments. It gets frustrating at times to see that PFF's grades are different from how we would evaluate what we are watching. PFF seems to grade other variables that I may not value or appreciate.

Anyway, Moss had a great game, regardless of how PFF saw it.

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

I think you misunderstood his comment.

I think he must have misunderstood.

I agree with both of your initial comments. It gets frustrating at times to see that PFF's grade may be different from what we see as we are watching. PFF seems to grade other variables that I may not value or appreciate.

Anyway, Moss had a great game, regardless of how PFF saw it.

Yep agree.  That was my point that PFF isn’t perfect.  It’s just one tool to be used to evaluate someone’s performance. 

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Run game

• week 5 - Below average. This is weird to me. I felt Moss won that game for us? I guess they felt the Run blocking was the reason for his performance. Of course, this includes grades for all backs and individually Moss was Good - Taylor not so much.

You did a great job! That is a lot of work.

The run game seemed great. I wonder what made it "below average". 

Has PFF graded Richardson higher than below average. I think he plays so well but it is not reflected in PFF scores.

By the way, do you also follow team DVOA rankings? They remind me of PFF, as my grades seem far different from theirs.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

When is Cross going to replace Thomas ? Blackmon coming on, Brents playing well,Moore getting back to moore of old. Jones took all snaps no split with Baker....so seems Thomas for Cross should be our last adjustment barring injury.

Cross had a great camp too. Surprised he isn’t getting any playing time. I think he is more a SS then a FS though. Might have to wait until next year if they don’t sign Blackmon.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Cross had a great camp too. Surprised he isn’t getting any playing time. I think he is more a SS then a FS though. Might have to wait until next year if they don’t sign Blackmon.

I view him as a player who can flip from Free to Strong seamlessly. Has very good speed but also brings the boom. Thomas after a very good rookie year is coming back to earth and playing more like his draft position.

His PFF has dropped from 54.3 down to 47.7

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

You did a great job! That is a lot of work.

The run game seemed great. I wonder what made it "below average". 

Has PFF graded Richardson higher than below average. I think he plays so well but it is not reflected in PFF scores.

By the way, do you also follow team DVOA rankings? They remind me of PFF, as my grades seem far different from theirs.

The Run grade for the Team is a mix of all runners - Moss, Taylor and AR. I just think it's weird Moss' score isn't given more weight since he had waaay more carries than AR and Taylor combined.

That's just one example of PFF's grade being a bit off sometimes in my opinion.

There have been instances of Nelson and Fries having nearly the same scores but switched between Run blocking and Pass blocking; Nelson being Good/Great in Pass blocking and Below Average in Run blocking and vice versa for Fries. Fries would however end up with a Good/Great Overall score while Nelson's would be Below Average. I guess it's down to how they way Run blocking vs Pass blocking for individual Olinemen.

I don't follow DVOA, sorry.

• Like 1

I guess it's worth posting these links to some "How PFF grades X" Articles from their site:

Receiving

Running backs

Quarterbacks

Olinemen and Dlinemen

Pass protection

Run blocking

Run defense

Pass-rushers

Coverage

Here's a quote from the "Running backs" article, that may give some perspective on Moss' score.

Rushing success is often determined by a rusher’s run blocking, play calling, and the quality of the defense, so there are plenty of times where a player’s grade will not match up perfectly with his statistics. Our goal is to isolate the running back’s contribution to that production, and the runners with the highest grades are those who produce above expectation and outside what the run blocking or scheme allows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep agree.  That was my point that PFF isn’t perfect.  It’s just one tool to be used to evaluate someone’s performance. 

Seeing how so many defensive players had a "bad" grade,  I would say... PFF is far from perfect

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Seeing how so many defensive players had a "bad" grade,  I would say... PFF is far from perfect

I think they over do it on mistakes a little bit and let it over shadow good play.  The Colts got really dinged for pass coverage and tackling which in fairness have been issues this season.  I will say I wouldn’t say no to Ballard finding a linebacker who excels in pass coverage at some point.  Leonard, Franklin, and Speed all struggle with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think they over do it on mistakes a little bit and let it over shadow good play.  The Colts got really dinged for pass coverage and tackling which in fairness have been issues this season.  I will say I wouldn’t say no to Ballard finding a linebacker who excels in pass coverage at some point.  Leonard, Franklin, and Speed all struggle with it.

whatever. Ridiculous to give Zaire Franklin a "bad" grade in that game

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Oh I agree just explaining where they got dinged is all.

In Bradley's defense Franklin is usually depended upon to cover nearly the entire middle of the field, regardless of which receivers flood the area. He does a very good job considering what he is expected to do. Its the scheme that's flawed. Many times our opponents QB only has to lob a pass over Franklin's head to the receiver running a crossing route. The safeties are always too deep to come up in time to defend. Making for a simple catch in the soft part of the zone.

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

In Bradley's defense Franklin is usually depended upon to cover nearly the entire middle of the field, regardless of which receivers flood the area. He does a very good job considering what he is expected to do. Its the scheme that's flawed. Many times our opponents QB only has to lob a pass over Franklin's head to the receiver running a crossing route. The safeties are always too deep to come up in time to defend. Making for a simple catch in the soft part of the zone.

Lol I am not laughing at you but the same thing would happen to Leonard and people loved to rail on him for his pass defense.  

You are right though and other teams take advantage of it, like yesterday the Titans kept getting Hopkins on Franklin and exploited it.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Lol I am not laughing at you but the same thing would happen to Leonard and people loved to rail on him for his pass defense.  

You are right though and other teams take advantage of it, like yesterday the Titans kept getting Hopkins on Franklin and exploited it.

I believe Leonard should not even be on the field. When healthy, the Colts take Leonard out on passing downs. Its not Franklin's fault if he is expected to cover Deandre Hopkins

• Thanks 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I believe Leonard should not even be on the field. When healthy, the Colts take Leonard out on passing downs. Its not Franklin's fault if he is expected to cover Deandre Hopkins

I think you misunderstood me a little bit.  I was talking about Leonard his whole career not just this year. 

Also I am not blaming Franklin for not covering Hopkins.  I was using that as example of how teams work to take advantage of exactly what you were talking about.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think you misunderstood me a little bit.  I was talking about Leonard his whole career not just this year. 

Also I am not blaming Franklin for not covering Hopkins.  I was using that as example of how teams work to take advantage of exactly what you were talking about.

...taking advantage of the flawed Gus Bradley zone scheme