Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

50 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jonathan-taylor-trade-rumors-five-potential-proposals-for-disgruntled-colts-running-back/amp/

Some reasonable deals in there:

"Bears get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2024 third-rounder, WR Velus Jones Jr.

Cardinals get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2024 third-rounder, RB James Conner

Dolphins get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2025 second-rounder, RB Raheem Mostert, WR Cedrick Wilson Jr.

Eagles get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, RB Rashaad Penny, WR Quez Watkins

Panthers get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2025 conditional second-rounder, RB Miles Sanders"

If those were the options, which one do you choose?

I'm going with Carolina.

Those are all options for sure but I personally are still voting no on all of them. here's why:

Bears. Aside from the 2nd rounder which is fine and 3rd rounder which is fine, I would take Herbert and the 2nd and call it a day.

Dolphins: Mostert and Wilson? No thanks. Both are tier 3 players and Wilson is a slot. We don't need that. Mostert is because he cannot play anywhere near a full season. If not Hunt and a second, give us Hill and a 2nd in 2025 and we send Pittman with Taylor

Cardinals: Should be Taylor and Pittman for the Texans first or no thanks

Panthers: Miles Sanders? Absolutely not. 2nd rounder fine, we give them JT and Piece and we take Mingo

Eagles: Penny is always hurt, no thanks. Watkins is kind of intriguing but again, we have enough little guys. 

Bottom line is the Colts do not need a RB in return other than Herbert as as soon as JT is gone Kareem Hunt is our starter. You can bank on that I truly believe.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Always agree on trade compensation first then talk about a extension.  

That's nonsense.  Taylor doesn't care about compensation, He and Milkdud aren't going to do Indy's work for them ... They want the contract, it's up to The wannabe new team to offer the $$, then incumbent on that team to also THEN satisfy CB's demands.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It's not, but Stephen Holder tweeted, to which I replied, said JT thinks he wouldn't get extension from Colts, so it has to be pointed out that Colts did have a plan to extend him, whether the terms would be acceptable for both parties or not. 

Got you.

My question is whether JT really believes that the Colts won't offer him a long term contract, and if so, why. Makes me wonder about the ankle again.

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

Got you.

My question is whether JT really believes that the Colts won't offer him a long term contract, and if so, why. Makes me wonder about the ankle again.

That would have to be the only reason Taylor would have to believe we, of all organizations, wouldn't pay him going forward.... Who's the last guy who walked after success because Ballard UNDER paid him.....

3 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

That's nonsense.  Taylor doesn't care about compensation, He and Milkdud aren't going to do Indy's work for them ... They want the contract, it's up to The wannabe new team to offer the $$, then incumbent on that team to also THEN satisfy CB's demands.

The packers made this mistake with  Rodgers. They let him talk to jets without first agreeing to trade compensation.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When is the last time acquiring an elite back is the answer to winning a superbowl? Just asking

You do realize the question you float here  is entirely new thinking?    No one has asked this question before.    The issue of devaluating the worth of a running back is new.  

This idea was unthinkable when Taylor was running for 1800 yards and beating Buffalo, New England and Arizona almost single-handedly. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Taylor is younger. But you are exactly right with this post. But maybe cook didn’t want to go there.

Using Taylor being "younger" than any of these "underpaid" RBs recently in the market only works if you would also consider a 20 year old RB with 4 fingers missing on one hand, superior to an equally talented RB with all fingers....but 26.... Lol.  

Not exactly, but no one liked my mileage analogy using vehicles a while back.

2 hours ago, iuswingman said:

Meh.  I wouldn't be upset if Taylor sits his butt at home all season on his current contract.

If Taylor is saying he would take less money to play in Miami, then he is already doing the Colts dirty.

First, very odd a Colt fan would rather see Taylor it on his butt this year rather than be on the field for the Colts if he isn't traded.

Second, I don't think he said he would take less than the Colts are offering which is his current contract of $4.3M but less than he is asking which I think is north of $12M.

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

First, very odd a Colt fan would rather see Taylor it on his butt this year rather than be on the field for the Colts if he isn't traded.

Second, I don't think he said he would take less than the Colts are offering which is his current contract of $4.3M but less than he is asking which I think is north of $12M.

I'm a Colts fan...not a Taylor fan

And if, for example, he is asking for $15 million from the colts but only $12 million from Miami, then screw him regardless of whether or not Colts would match either figure.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jonathan-taylor-trade-rumors-five-potential-proposals-for-disgruntled-colts-running-back/amp/

"Bears get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Cardinals get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Dolphins get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2025 second-rounder, RB Raheem Mostert, WR Cedrick Wilson Jr.

Eagles get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Panthers get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

I'm going with Carolina.

Cardinals

Those picks will be top 6 in each round

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

And if, for example, he is asking for $15 million from the colts but only $12 million from Miami, then screw him regardless of whether or not Colts would match either figure.

Taylor is quickly becoming a cancer and we don't need him infecting the rest of the team, 

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Cardinals

Those picks will be top 6 in each round

Cardinals and Bears,r rebuilding, so to me, a hard no. Eagles just let their rb walk cause they didn't want to pay him lol. I think people on this board over value Taylor based on this new scheme, the qb play,  Taylor's skill set, and the value a rb has in today's football. We just two great rbs come up for contracts, and the end results 

• Like 1

Just now, Old Colt said:

Taylor is quickly becoming a cancer and we don't need him infecting the rest of the team, 

I don't like what he is doing, but in the end, he wants to take care of his family and knows this is his one shot to cash in. I don't think it is working for him but u never know, he could get what he wants but I do doubt he comes close to what he wants. Cancer is a strong word, as he is just doing his thing, and the team seems to be rejuvenated based on their play up to date. My reasoning for trading him or sending his home is that I don't want this going into the season and having to answer questions bout this weekly. I want the focus on the team building. He does need to stop the moping lol. That I can do without 

5 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Not really, except to the fans.  And he's a paint in Management's butt.  The players either agree with JT wanting the bag, or they are happy to gain more opportunities with him out....

7 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

There is zero proof that Taylor is a cancer.   Three players…,   Buckner, Franklin and Deon Jackson all say JT is fine in the kicker room and the team meeting room.  

This might be a bigger problem someday,  maybe soon,  but I don’t think we’re there yet.  

15 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Actually that would make a ton of sense if he wanted three mill more to work in Indiana.....zero state tax in Miami.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

"Bears get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Cardinals get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Dolphins get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Eagles get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Panthers get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

I'm going with Carolina.

Panthers easily. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

"Bears get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Cardinals get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Dolphins get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Eagles get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Panthers get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

I'm going with Carolina.

Call me delusional but I’m not letting Taylor leave without a 1st and a possible player. He’s a proven superstar in the league. McCaffery’s trade isn’t a great comp IMHO because he’s older and has had a longer injury history. Any team that trades for Taylor is nearly guaranteed a 1500 yard rusher as long as they have a competent o-line and he doesn’t get injured.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

"Bears get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Cardinals get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Dolphins get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Eagles get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

Panthers get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

I'm going with Carolina.

Cards. Those will be high picks.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't like what he is doing, but in the end, he wants to take care of his family and knows this is his one shot to cash in. I don't think it is working for him but u never know, he could get what he wants but I do doubt he comes close to what he wants. Cancer is a strong word, as he is just doing his thing, and the team seems to be rejuvenated based on their play up to date. My reasoning for trading him or sending his home is that I don't want this going into the season and having to answer questions bout this weekly. I want the focus on the team building. He does need to stop the moping lol. That I can do without 

Even at 4m per year, his family was fine.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I do blame all parties involved. In any dysfunctional relationship, it usually takes two. Like I said previously, Ballard needs to tone his excitement bout players when asked by the media if he wants that player back on a,2nd contract 

Boy your distain for Ballard and the Colts can't be denied.

1 minute ago, Jackie Daytona said:

That would have to be the only reason Taylor would have to believe we, of all organizations, wouldn't pay him going forward.... Who's the last guy who walked after success because Ballard UNDER paid him.....

I've said all along, the team most likely to pay Taylor is the Colts. Don't know how that's debatable for him or his agent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've said all along, the team most likely to pay Taylor is the Colts. Don't know how that's debatable for him or his agent.

Yeah it is weird. My intuition is that Taylor wants to secure a hefty guaranteed sum right now while he is in his prime. Not sure if the size of the salary this year in isolation matters that much, he wants security via a huge guaranteed contract. Maybe he is scared of getting more injuries, could be it…

I keep seeing Robert Hunt being included in hypothetical trade scenarios with Miami. Why would Miami do this? Why would they be including starters as a contending team. They would be doing this trade because they think they have a relatively complete team and want to go for it right away. They wouldn't just open a bigger hole on their roster to get Taylor. If the Dolphins trade for Taylor IMO the value will be picks plus maybe one of their RBs...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah it is weird. My intuition is that Taylor wants to secure a hefty guaranteed sum right now while he is in his prime. Not sure if the size of the salary this year in isolation matters that much, he wants security via a huge guaranteed contract. Maybe he is scared of getting more injuries, could be it…

Okay, but if you just want to be paid, and the team that's most likely to pay you says in April 'we want to see you healthy,' why can't you show up healthy in July? 

I've thought the ankle is a negotiation tactic all along. Add in the trade request, and it reinforces that belief for me. But there's still a question in my mind, because the questions about the ankle are undermining his market, particularly with the team that would be most likely to offer him the contract he wants.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I keep seeing Robert Hunt being included in hypothetical trade scenarios with Miami. Why would Miami do this? Why would they be including starters as a contending team. They would be doing this trade because they think they have a relatively complete team and want to go for it right away. They wouldn't just open a bigger hole on their roster to get Taylor. If the Dolphins trade for Taylor IMO the value will be picks plus maybe one of their RBs...

3 reasons:

1. It cost something to get something

2. Hunt is FA next year, and with their cap situation, I don't see him being part of the future.

3. 2 other young guards behind him

Anyway, that doesn't mean they will, but those are valid reasons to why they might if pressed to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Okay, but if you just want to be paid, and the team that's most likely to pay you says in April 'we want to see you healthy,' why can't you show up healthy in July? 

I've thought the ankle is a negotiation tactic all along. Add in the trade request, and it reinforces that belief for me. But there's still a question in my mind, because the questions about the ankle are undermining his market, particularly with the team that would be most likely to offer him the contract he wants.

This only makes sense if Taylor really has a physical problem that's bothering him, and trying to pull a fast one to get guaranteed money, NOW.

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

3 reasons:

1. It cost something to get something

2. Hunt is FA next year, and with their cap situation, I don't see him being part of the future.

3. 2 other young guards behind him

Anyway, that doesn't mean they will, but those are valid reasons to why they might if pressed to.

Yes, it does cost something and that something will be picks IMO. It just doesn't make sense to me for them to have an established OL and open up a hole in it to get Taylor when they are a contender. Hunt is more valuable for them than for us IMO.

Just now, CoachLite said:

This only makes sense if Taylor really has a physical problem that's bothering him, and trying to pull a fast one to get guaranteed money, NOW.

Or, if he decided to force his way to Miami.

But the Colts are acting like they're concerned about the ankle, also.

• Like 1