Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get the playing out your contract part (that would be the noble thing to do) but there have been 100's players in the last year of their deals that ask for an extension to get paid much more. If Taylor was just any Joe Shmoe it would be different but he is an all-pro RB. I equate what he is doing, is someone in a workplace that makes $20 an hour and the 3 people around him doing the same job are making $25 an hour, but yet he is best worker out of the 4 and he knows he deserves to make more money than all of them. Anyone in that position would be upset. 

But does that person making 20 an hour fake an injury or illness and go on workers comp vs showing his worth during negotiations 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is the difference? Why are you so hung up on someone being on a rookie deal and wanting an extension in his last year of it compared to someone wanting an extension that isn't on one? Taylor has already proven himself.

What if AR turns out great and is playing outstanding and is in his last year of his rookie deal and he wants an extension to be one of the highest paid QB's? Are you going to complain about it? Don't lie because I seriously doubt anyone would. Taylor is a RB is why you are hung up on it is my guess.

True and if AR gets the monster extension that’s the one that will put the huge strain on the cap and hurt our ability to keep our other important players.  If we sign JT eventually that number is not going to hurt us cap wise.  We just secure our best playmaker for the next two or three years.

• Like 1

I get the playing out your contract part (that would be the noble thing to do) but there have been 100's players in the last year of their deals that ask for an extension to get paid much more. If Taylor was just any Joe Shmoe it would be different but he is an all-pro RB. I equate what he is doing, is someone in a workplace that makes $20 an hour and the 3 people around him doing the same job are making $25 an hour, but yet he is best worker out of the 4 and he knows he deserves to make more money than all of them. Anyone in that position would be upset. 

We don’t know if he’s still an all-pro RB after his injury and in this offense and he doesn’t seem too eager to try and prove it. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

True and if AR gets the monster extension that’s the one that will put the huge strain on the cap and hurt our ability to keep our other important players.  If we sign JT eventually that number is not going to hurt us cap wise.  We just secure our best playmaker for the next two or three years.

I totally agree. Signing JT to a reasonably big contract for 3 years won't even hurt the team because AR is under a rookie contract for the next 4 years. If AR, in the last year of his rookie contract wants a huge contract extension, I am all for it if the guy is top 10 at his position being a QB. Hell, Taylor when healthy is top 3 at his position. 

• Like 2

The only argument I can buy for the people not wanting to resign Taylor to a good deal/extension is, if he actually really doesn't want to be here anymore. We really don't know that though. If he comes out and says I am not playing for the Colts at all even though I am healthy (I want out), then yes, we should trade him obviously. The other stuff is nonsense.

• Like 1

I never said the way he has went about things is right, I even posted that. It still doesn't take away the fact he is a great player and he wants to get paid.

And I don’t think I’ve seen a single poster say otherwise. 

that said, he WAS great. In 2021. He hasn’t proven that he’s recovered from this injury and that is the one undisputed fact. No matter if he plays for us again, he has to prove he’s healthy at some point to get the money he’s wanting. That’s the entire reality of the situation. The rest is just fluff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So you think his injury was that bad? Interesting, most think he was faking being injured and is 100% healthy.

Do I think it’s fake/exaggerated, yes. 

but teams including the Colts may not have the proof to know definitively if that’s the case. If he is legitimately still injured, then that’s a concern. 

Bottomline is there’s only one way for him to prove any of it, to play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

Yup which is despicable 

Which honestly if I were the colts, I’d just leave him to rot on PUP the entire season. Then tag his happy butt next season or put a 2 first round tender on him like they’ve done others in the past

• Like 1

What is the difference? Why are you so hung up on someone being on a rookie deal and wanting an extension in his last year of it compared to someone wanting an extension that isn't on one? Taylor has already proven himself.

What if AR turns out great and is playing outstanding and is in his last year of his rookie deal and he wants an extension to be one of the highest paid QB's? Are you going to complain about it? Don't lie because I seriously doubt anyone would. Taylor is a RB is why you are hung up on it is my guess.

The issue wasn't JT asking for an early extension.  It is how he handled it when told no.

If Colts didn't offer AR an early extension, then I doubt he would be pulling the crap JT is pulling now.

9 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

The issue wasn't JT asking for an early extension.  It is how he handled it when told no.

If Colts didn't offer AR an early extension, then I doubt he would be pulling the crap JT is pulling now.

Funny thing is, he wasn’t told no. He was told not at this moment, we’ll talk in a few weeks. That’s been confirmed from both sides 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Which honestly if I were the colts, I’d just leave him to rot on PUP the entire season. Then tag his happy butt next season or put a 2 first round tender on him like they’ve done others in the past

You wouldn’t have to tag him.  He would be back next year under this year’s contract. You could then tag him the next years after that. The Colts have always had the leverage. 

I find JT and his agent 100% at fault. The Colts have always rewarded their own players. Ballard often hinted that’s where they would ultimately wind up with JT.  

Taylor needed to show up prove he’s healthy and the guy we all saw his first two seasons. I don’t hold his injury against him but he fumbled a lot last season and his pass blocking was horse bleep last season. 

• Like 4

I'm not going to predict what happens with this whole thing because at this point it's way too complicated, but some of y'all are way too melodramatic. I've read some dumb stuff like people hoping that the Colts ruin JTs carrer or proclamations of never wanting to see him suit up as a Colt in any circumstance ever again. It's as if JT was demanding money from yourselves individually and not just trying to get paid while in his prime.

Will you really complain and hate on JT if he does come back and plays like the JT of old on a reasonable contract? Really??

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

You wouldn’t have to tag him.  He would be back next year under this year’s contract. You could then tag him the next years after that. The Colts have always had the leverage. 

I find JT and his agent 100% at fault. The Colts have always rewarded their own players. Ballard often hinted that’s where they would ultimately wind up with JT.  

Taylor needed to show up prove he’s healthy and the guy we all saw his first two seasons. I don’t hold his injury against him but he fumbled a lot last season and his pass blocking was horse bleep last season. 

Haha you’re right. I forgot about that. 

49 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

When has Taylor's side said anything about this?

All the time

17 hours ago, EasyE said:

I agree, but will bet 90% of us Colt fans know JT is healthy. JMO But to think JT should be paid under RBs in this league that can't come close too what he can produce is absurd. Grant it I know it's a contract but. You tell me if JT playing for 4mil and has a career injury tomorrow you are happy with way colts handled his contract? I'm giving away free money to Frank and Luck and probably others etc.. Nonsense

Yes I would be perfectly happy with how they handled the situation. I'm a Colts fan not a JT and want what's best for the team. JT would still be leaving the league with 4+ million and if he is smart with his money wouldn't have to work for the rest of his life, but knowing Irsay he would set him up with something.

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

The thing is, if he had done like others, kept his head down, proven he was healthy, odds are he’d had a market setting contract by years end. If not sooner. 

The funny thing is the Colts aren't known as a stingy team like other teams in the league, they generally overpay players they draft especially if Irsay is a fan of the player, the first mistake JT made was to get on Irsay's bad side because he went from Irsay telling Ballard to get a deal done (like he did with TY Hilton) to Irsay now holding firm because he feels JT is faking an injury.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Yes I would be perfectly happy with how they handled the situation. I'm a Colts fan not a JT and want what's best for the team. JT would still be leaving the league with 4+ million and if he is smart with his money wouldn't have to work for the rest of his life, but knowing Irsay he would set him up with something.

The funny thing is the Colts aren't known as a stingy team like other teams in the league, they generally overpay players they draft especially if Irsay is a fan of the player, the first mistake JT made was to get on Irsay's bad side because he went from Irsay telling Ballard to get a deal done (like he did with TY Hilton) to Irsay now holding firm because he feels JT is faking an injury.

Im not saying you’re wrong, but are you sure about the part of Irsay telling Ballard to get a deal done with JT?   I honestly don’t recall that.   I don’t even remember other posters saying that.   Do you remember roughly when this happened?   

I may easily be wrong in this.  I’m just double checking.   

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not saying you’re wrong, but are you sure about the part of Irsay telling Ballard to get a deal done with JT?   I honestly don’t recall that.   I don’t even remember other posters saying that.   Do you remember roughly when this happened?   

I can recall Irsay saying something to the effect that Ballard would work it out but not a directive for Ballard to get a deal done. I'm pretty certain that was never said.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I can recall Irsay saying something to the effect that Ballard would work it out but not a directive for Ballard to get a deal done. I'm pretty certain that was never said.

That’s what I remember, had Irsay given that directive a deal would have gotten done.  Ballard isn’t going to ignore a directive from his Owner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

Congratulations on your 2-1 start. It’s going to be a long season for my team. We won’t win 7 games.

I see the Packers as going through growing pains with essentially a 4-year experienced rookie QB, but Jordan Love has been playing better than I expected.

I'd wait to see Jones and Watson fully healthy, and how Packers perform with those weapons and a consistent running game, and I think Packers will fight for the division title this year with the Lions. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So you think his injury was that bad? Interesting, most think he was faking being injured and is 100% healthy.

I don’t know. I thought at the very least he was slow to heal from the surgery. If I’m the Colts I’d want to see him post-surgery before I extend him and make him one of the league’s highest paid backs. That seems reasonable. If he’s lying and faking, like you say, that seems like a good reason not to extend and make him one of the highest paid backs. I’d have a hard time cheering for JT like before but that’s me and I know other fans would welcome him back. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay is a fan at heart and has overpaid players he likes, Luck he stated he wanted to make him the highest paid player ever, and called Hilton asking what his number was. If JT just played that angle I bet he would have a had a deal by now. link below

"Hilton told Pat McAfee on the Pat McAfee show that Irsay called him and asked him what number he wanted from the Colts. Hilton gave Irsay his number and the rest is history."

"Ballard seemed to be a little lower on his contract offer than Hilton would have liked but Irsay stepped in and handled it."

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/26/indianapolis-colts-ty-hilton-jim-irsay-close-deal/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Irsay is a fan at heart and has overpaid players he likes, Luck he stated he wanted to make him the highest paid player ever, and called Hilton asking what his number was. If JT just played that angle I bet he would have a had a deal by now. link below

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/26/indianapolis-colts-ty-hilton-jim-irsay-close-deal/

Irsay also let one of his all time favorites Edge, who also happens to be a running back, walk in free agency.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some think he might have been trying to get more because he knew he was diminished.  It’s not my theory but it’s plausible.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The only argument I can buy for the people not wanting to resign Taylor to a good deal/extension is, if he actually really doesn't want to be here anymore. We really don't know that though. If he comes out and says I am not playing for the Colts at all even though I am healthy (I want out), then yes, we should trade him obviously. The other stuff is nonsense.

There are other arguments.  

Hes poor at pass pro and we have. Rookie QB.

I don’t know what SS looks for in a RB but he doesn’t seem like he’s lobbying hard for JT.  I don’t know SS personality so he might just be like that but he doesn’t seem to be beating down the door for TYlor.  Point being Taylor might not (like I said I don’t know enough about SS and what he’s looking for to feel strongly either way)but Taylor might not be a good fit for SS.  He’s got limitations running laterally and needs more defined running lanes that some other great backs and this offense I’ve seen so far isn’t the downhill type of scheme that JT excels in.

the thing about RPO based Os is many of the runs are slow played and not quick hitters.  I’m not sure that JT is a great fit for that.

but he might be Bestie.  There is something very intriguing about a guy like JT threatening to break one between the tackles on every play and AR threatening to pull it and break one around the end on every play.

I hope JT plays with us again for answering a bunch of these scheme type of questions everyone has been talking about all these months.

point being there are other arguments.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Dianna Russini wrote in the athletic that Taylor has stayed in great shape and is ready to play.

I used to didn't care for her reporting but the more I watched her over time, she knows her stuff. She is a pretty good source. She has become similar to Schefty, not as good but legit. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 10:39 AM, PRnum1 said:

^^^^^^^^ This guy gets it !!!

I would also say if Taylor finishes out his rookie contract and Colts tag him next season, I will take Taylor's side in any holdout.

He fulfilled his rookie contact and if Colts don't want to give a long term deal they should let go as an UFA

He has not been on the field this season.  He is not fulfilling his contract as he should.

• Like 1