Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

He is in the last year of a contract, so you go out and have a great year and get a huge contract. I think he knows he has some injury issues and won’t be able to perform at that level. Why else would he be holding out, and the colts and other teams not willing to take a chance on a player that is damaged goods. He isn’t going to get the big contract until he proves he is the player he was in the past! I’m with the colts and the rest of the league, prove your worth and get the big payday.

Kinda ot, but watching this Winning Time episode 5 in season 2 about Magic Johnson and Jerry Bus meeting about Magic wanting traded. Just made me think of the Irsay/JT Yachtbus meeting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RfUtRCx3TMk&pp=ygU1d2lubmluZyB0aW1lIHNlYXNvbiAyIGVwaXNvZGUgNSBtYWdpYyBhbmQgYnVzIG1lZXRpbmc%3D

the clip didnt show the whole meeting with nsfw language, but I can see Irsay and JT having the same exact conversation!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J@son said:

Lol like you'd be any different.   He may have not gone about it in the best of ways but he's trying to maximize his earning potential in the short window that he has as a RB.  Can't fault him for that. 

Well sir I don't know you, and you sure as hell don't know me.  Respect is everything to me.  A truck load of money is great but if you have to resort to trashing the organazation that is paying you a pretty good chunk of money to play a game, under a contract you signed, just to chase the money, then you have lost all respect in my book.  Just play out your contract, proove you are %100 fit to play,  and try to regain some respect.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 7:42 PM, krunk said:

Why would Ballard say that the relationship with Taylor is "Repairable" if Taylor is the one telling the lies? If the Colts have played things by the books then what would there be to repair?

I was curious about this as well. Just what is Ballard seeing that makes him think this relationship is repairable? Taylor's agent is sure not hinting at anything. Taylor himself doesn't seem to be furthering that narrative. Maybe the Colts are taking this approach so they can say when they finally get rid of him, that they left an open door for this relationship to get repaired, if Taylor elects not to explore that, then the Colts can use that as justification to trade him for less (than a 1st-rounder) and move on. Maybe Ballard and Irsay know exactly what they are going to do with Taylor after four games, but right now it at least publicly looks like they are either not sure what to do or are content to let this drag out. 

I support players holding out if they do not think they are being paid their value for so long as teams can unilaterally void a contract by cutting said player.  

however, jt has done this terribly and caused unnecessary drama.  Calling out the club and ownership publicly is a mistake.  I think it has damaged his reputation and that he didn’t consider this fully. 

I now wonder if his first agent created his prior public persona and coached him into saying all the right things or if this new management is coaching the other way to say all the wrong things.  Or if one of those is his true nature.  

either way he has lost me and doing what he has done I believe is very short sighted.  He should have had a silent hold out. I think he will lose endorsement deals from how this has played out.  I guess it will depend on what he says after this is sorted out.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, philba101 said:

I was curious about this as well. Just what is Ballard seeing that makes him think this relationship is repairable? Taylor's agent is sure not hinting at anything. Taylor himself doesn't seem to be furthering that narrative. Maybe the Colts are taking this approach so they can say when they finally get rid of him, that they left an open door for this relationship to get repaired, if Taylor elects not to explore that, then the Colts can use that as justification to trade him for less (than a 1st-rounder) and move on. Maybe Ballard and Irsay know exactly what they are going to do with Taylor after four games, but right now it at least publicly looks like they are either not sure what to do or are content to let this drag out. 

When your new HC sells you on his ability to recreate the Philly success story that does not allow for more than minimal expense for the RB position.

And you already have a seemingly Elite, young, contract eligible one.

What do you do with this beloved RB?

How about inviting him on the bus for a warm discussion above how much we love you but... have Irsay cap it with the "death scenario".

And there begins the meltdown of the superheroes public personna.

The NFL salary structure has gone way out of kilter everywhere But RB and we Must join the fray. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That kind of shows me he and Ballard probably had a private talk and are mending things. You are right, sad it had to come to that but as long he plays like 2021 Taylor starting in week 5, people will forget about this. If we can be 2-2 through the 1st 4 weeks, we may actually win or 8 or 9 games and maybe make things interesting for a playoff spot. 9 wins could get us in?

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Rap sheet also confirmed this in a tweet but went one step further and said the likelihood of him playing for the Colts is slim.  He thinks a trade is more likely to happen by the trade deadline at the end of October.  He thinks more teams will jump in as the season progresses.  He said Packers are out now. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Rap sheet also confirmed this in a tweet but went one step further and said the likelihood of him playing for the Colts is slim.  He thinks a trade is more likely to happen by the trade deadline at the end of October.  He thinks more teams will jump in as the season progresses.  He said Packers are out now. 

He won’t get traded until he proves he is healthy.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That kind of shows me he and Ballard probably had a private talk and are mending things. You are right, sad it had to come to that but as long he plays like 2021 Taylor starting in week 5, people will forget about this. If we can be 2-2 through the 1st 4 weeks, we may actually win or 8 or 9 games and maybe make things interesting for a playoff spot. 9 wins could get us in?

I think their interests are finally the same. Taylor knows he won’t get traded or get a extension until he proves he is healthy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

“Slim but possible” chance he plays for the Colts when activated. 

Irsay already said he isn't trading him. Now if a team wants to give us a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick in 2024, then I will listen. That won't happen so lets hope when he comes back he plays great and see where it goes from there. 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don’t think this proves anything but that Taylor has used the ruse of an injured ankle to hold out this far. Now he knows that to get a trade orchestrated, he has to show teams he is healthy. Thus the “I can pass a physical tomorrow” leak to the media.

If the Colts running back by committee is working after the first four weeks, I expect the Colts to be open to a trade. With perhaps a larger group of interested teams out there, which increases the potential return. Sadly, I doubt Taylor plays another game for the Colts. 

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I don’t think this proves anything but that Taylor has used the ruse of an injured ankle to hold out this far. Now he knows that to get a trade orchestrated, he has to show teams he is healthy. Thus the “I can pass a physical tomorrow” leak to the media.

If the Colts running back by committee is working after the first four weeks, I expect the Colts to be open to a trade. With perhaps a larger group of interested teams out there, which increases the potential return. Sadly, I doubt Taylor plays another game for the Colts. 

Well if we trade him I want a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick and I am sure Irsay would back me up on that. 

43 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Or, in reality, Taylor wants to assure interested parties he will be able to immediately help a team as soon as he becomes eligible, AND signs his new contract. And, the sooner they acquire him the sooner he can get into the playbook.

Just now, Superman said:

If he can pass a physical then it eliminates a barrier for trading him. In theory. 

Ok.  That makes sense.  

If they trade today or say yesterday does the pup status carry to the other team?  or can that| team challenge the pup designation with the league or something?

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Or, in reality, Taylor wants to assure interested parties he will be able to immediately help a team as soon as he becomes eligible, AND signs his new contract. And, the sooner they acquire him the sooner he can get into the playbook.

What you and many don't realize we aren't trading him unless we get a bunch in return. Taylor has no control over anything because we can franchise tag him if he wants to leave at the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Ok.  That makes sense.  

If they trade today or say yesterday does the pup status carry to the other team?  or can that| team challenge the pup designation with the league or something?

He has to stay on the pup.  But the sooner he is with his new team the quicker he can learn the playbook and be ready to go week 5.

• Thanks 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

He has to stay on the pup.  But the sooner he is with his new team the quicker he can learn the playbook and be ready to go week 5.

You would think there would be an appeal process.  JIC someone is misusing the pup.  The player or new team should be allowed to challenge it.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What you and many don't realize we aren't trading him unless we get a bunch in return. Taylor has no control over anything because we can franchise tag him if he wants to leave at the end of the season. 

According to a number of reports we were looking for a very good player as part of any trade I read about.  I expect that to happen in any trade scenario.  Most likely an excellent receiver I would think.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Highly doubt they trade him.  They were asking for 1st round compensation or similar value earlier on purpose bc they knew most teams would balk.  They aren't going to lower the asking price during the trade deadline.  That's usually the time of year when teams are asking for too much.  He'll be playing for the Colts or no one.  Just by him taking the physical that tells me him sitting out the year isn't an option so we can eliminate that as an option. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Highly doubt they trade him.  They were asking for 1st round compensation or similar value earlier on purpose bc they knew most teams would balk.  They aren't going to lower the asking price during the trade deadline.  That's usually the time of year when teams are asking for too much.  He'll be playing for the Colts or no one.  Just by him taking the physical that tells me him sitting out the year isn't an option so we can eliminate him sitting outl. 

100% correct.

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep. He basically has to decide to either A.... play football in the NFL for a butt load of money....albeit several butt loads less than many of his peers, or B..... go back to school and then try and work his way up to a senior position in Astrophysics so he can eventually make a few hundred k a year.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 4:37 PM, csmopar said:

I’m only for that if they have proof he has been lying. Right now Taylor’s camp has painted this picture that the colts did him wrong so unless we have proof, the backlash will not be worth it

Why is the backlash not bad toward JT?  

Why does the national scene just assume the owner/team is the side of wrong?