Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

5 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Boo who! I wish I was only going to make a paltry 4 million for one year of my work career. Just devastating to think of. 

As hard as it is it’s important to remember Taylor and other NFL players live in a different world than us, right or wrong they do.  He’s not comparing $4 million to what you or I make.  He’s comparing it to what other football players make and that goes beyond running backs.  Running backs as a whole are comparing what their position makes to other positions and they don’t like what they see.  So they are trying to make it change.  I don’t think it’s going to work and don’t agree with it (I agree with Irsay you signed a CBA live by it) but I can understand it at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

As hard as it is it’s important to remember Taylor and other NFL players live in a different world than us, right or wrong they do.  He’s not comparing $4 million to what you or I make.  He’s comparing it to what other football players make and that goes beyond running backs.  Running backs as a whole are comparing what their position makes to other positions and they don’t like what they see.  So they are trying to make it change.  I don’t think it’s going to work and don’t agree with it (I agree with Irsay you signed a CBA live by it) but I can understand it at least.

I understand that but still have a hard time feeling sorry for someone with millions of dollars in their bank account.  

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Holder then needs to do a better job of not spreading false information. Verify first! This whole "he said, she said" stuff gives me a headache... 

Holder did NOT spread false information.   I may have been the one to post it and start it.   I haven’t read every post, so I don’t know if anyone else posted something similar, but I’ll take the hit.   Let’s assume it was me.   

But it was NOT Holder. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Holder did NOT spread false information.   I may have been the one to post it and start it.   I haven’t read every post, so I don’t know if anyone else posted something similar, but I’ll take the hit.   Let’s assume it was me.   

But it was NOT Holder. 

I’ll give you credit there. Shows a ton of character to stand up and take the hit. Most on here wouldn’t. Kudos to you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But it was NOT Holder. 

That's fine for this website. But it's exploding all over Facebook now that the team is forcing players to play while injured. Very few people within the general public read or even know of this website. But people know of Holder and ESPN. This rumor didn't start with you NCF. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But it was NOT Holder. 

Holders original ESPN head line read along the lines “colts encouraged RB to play hurt and now want to hold it against him”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I absolutely agree with you. However these guys are so overpaid in all sports while the common man struggles make a living. These entertainers can’t get enough as ticket prices and cable prices continue to escalate at the expense of us all. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I absolutely agree with you. However these guys are so overpaid in all sports while the common man struggles make a living. These entertainers can’t get enough as ticket prices and cable prices continue to escalate at the expense of us all. 

I was going to get tickets this year, saw that they had a $40 deal for 40 years. Here I was thinking the deal was for two seats for $40, when it was that amount PER seat... 

Nope. Can't even afford the nosebleeds anymore. Couldn't afford cable TV anymore either so I cut that. I know there are "methods" to still watch games but I'm not really well versed in all of that jazz.

So I'll be researching to figure out how to watch games, or just reading the game threads on here to keep up. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But it was NOT Holder. 

No disrespect intended NCF but Holder published a story on ESPN.

How could you start a national story ?

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The philosophy changes in the NFL has devalued the RB position. Comparing the WR to the RB is now an out dated view. It seems the game has passed you up?

I think u totally missed my point . I agree that rb has been devalued. My point is that Pittman is just sitting back because he knows he is going to get either over paid by Colts or another team.  Comparing the two and how they are handling themselves is not fair. I think Taylor is not reading the room but I do feel for him as he plays a punishing position that has a short a short shelf life.  He just wants security. Pittman can just sit back and he doesn't care if the Colts extend him or not. He doesn't have to say a worx cause he knows he will get paid  elite money for average play.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think u totally missed my point . I agree that rb has been devalued. My point is that Pittman is just sitting back because he knows he is going to get either over paid by Colts or another team.  Comparing the two and how they are handling themselves is not fair. I think Taylor is not reading the room but I do feel for him as he plays a punishing position that has a short a short shelf life.  He just wants security. Pittman can just sit back and he doesn't care if the Colts extend him or not. He doesn't have to say a worx cause he knows he will get paid  elite money for average play.

“Because he knows he will get elite money for average play.”

Dear God….       :facepalm:

Pro tip:    Just because YOU think MPJ is an average player, doesn’t mean Pitt thinks he’s an average player.   Far from it.  I don’t know how you even connect those dots?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pro tip:    Just because YOU think MPJ is an average player, doesn’t mean Pitt thinks he’s an average player.   Far from it.  I don’t know how you even connect those dots?   

Well if people still want to evaluate him as a wr#1. Then yes he is average. He is a pretty  good number 2. It is totally how u want to rate him. Pittman will probably get north of 20 million cause that is the market for wrs unless it falls. I look at his salary and how it affects the final cap number. There is no way I am investing 20 million per year in Pittman. 

Quick aside.  Malik Hooker just signed a sweet extension with the Cowboys with a lot of guaranteed money.  Good for him.  I always thought he was very talented.  It’s a shame the injury with us caused us to move on.  I wish we would have given him another chance.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Quick aside.  Malik Hooker just signed a sweet extension with the Cowboys with a lot of guaranteed money.  Good for him.  I always thought he was very talented.  It’s a shame the injury with us caused us to move on.  I wish we would have given him another chance.

he has done very well with Dallas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think u totally missed my point . I agree that rb has been devalued. My point is that Pittman is just sitting back because he knows he is going to get either over paid by Colts or another team.  Comparing the two and how they are handling themselves is not fair. I think Taylor is not reading the room but I do feel for him as he plays a punishing position that has a short a short shelf life.  He just wants security. Pittman can just sit back and he doesn't care if the Colts extend him or not. He doesn't have to say a worx cause he knows he will get paid  elite money for 

For some reason you have some sort of vendetta against Pittman.  Judging Pittman is not easy because of the poor QB play over the last couple of years.  In 2022 Pittman had 88 catches with 1,082 yds and 6 tds. That was as a 2nd yr WR. Then came Matt Ryan.  That put an end to any Colts receiver having any decent numbers. You want to point it finger at Pittman? Get out of here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

People were asking questions about rumors on this website.   I was only talking about this website, nothing more.   

So now you are wrong because you didn't start a rumor?

Or are you wrong because you did start a rumor but only on this website?

I am so confused!

Just messing with you.  

Also I read above here that this is blowing up on Facebook.   Big mistake counting on FB for facts. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would agree, but I really dont see JT signing and playing for 9 -10M per year......... 

But yet, that is today’s RB $ market.  For JT to be out of touch with reality is also stupid.  

Perhaps a 3 year extension, $32M 3 year extension, $19M guaranteed, with $5M signing bonus as reward to up this year’s wage, with $27M split over the next 3 years.

47 minutes ago, gspdx said:

So now you are wrong because you didn't start a rumor?

Or are you wrong because you did start a rumor but only on this website?

I am so confused!

Just messing with you.  

Also I read above here that this is blowing up on Facebook.   Big mistake counting on FB for facts. 

It was me. And you misunderstood me. I never count FB as fact. I stated that the debunked rumor is running rampant outside of this forum so it wasn’t really on NCF. It’s more on Holder for writing the confusing article. I was saying the general public on FB has fallen for the rumor and now they’re presenting it as fact. Not me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Moose can look at PFF and see Pittman squeaked in at 30 on their top WR for 2023. With Christian Kirk, Chris Olave, George Pickens rated lower BTW.

Pitt BETTER have a good year or he could easily be Even More clearly considered average.

Moose ugh, understands that Pitt understands that Pitt is going to glide into let's say $18M plus no sweat, putting him in an echelon of the NFL players that is going to have some REAL $$$ that sets him, and his, up for the rest of their Lives.

This while Pitt looks Much closer to being a #2 WR as most here have stated over and over, and when most here consider JT Elite, as in top 5,4,3,2... at his position.

Thar's the amateur tip ........................

• Thanks 1

I was never comfortable with the Irsay name starting with his old man when he snuck out of Baltimore. Add Jim Irays romance with drugs and alcohol I wonder what impact they have had on his rational thinking. As a life-long Colts fan I find myself now just as an observer with one eye closed. The Colts lived off the fat of Manning and Luck and has been a train wreck since. Nothing left to do but sit and watch.

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I was never comfortable with the Irsay name starting with his old man when he snuck out of Baltimore. Add Jim Irays romance with drugs and alcohol I wonder what impact they have had on his rational thinking. As a life-long Colts fan I find myself now just as an observer with one eye closed. The Colts lived off the fat of Manning and Luck and has been a train wreck since. Nothing left to do but sit and watch.

What Is It Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

For some reason you have some sort of vendetta against Pittman.  Judging Pittman is not easy because of the poor QB play over the last couple of years.  In 2022 Pittman had 88 catches with 1,082 yds and 6 tds. That was as a 2nd yr WR. Then came Matt Ryan.  That put an end to any Colts receiver having any decent numbers. You want to point it finger at Pittman? Get out of here. 

I have nothing against him. I think he is a number two yet a lot of people in the media and here think he can be a #1. He does not have the skill set and nothing he had shown me says he can be a number 1. There are few true #1's in thr league. I think he is a good #2, but I also think they should be able to develop someone on the roster to replicate what he is and/or what he can do. People say the same thing about Nelson and Leoanrd and so on. I have nothing against these guys. I am just waiting for one of Ballard's picks to develop into an elite player at an important postion. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Very good point here, but obviously will not be received well or as the way it is intended. 

JT could've handled his case much better too, but considering that he's upset with the way the organization handled his injury as they allegedly forced him to play through the injury last season, we don't know the fully story of why he's livid. 

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Very good point here, but obviously will not be received well or as the way it is intended. 

JT could've handled his case much better too, but considering that he's upset with the way the organization handled his injury as they allegedly forced him to play through the injury last season, we don't know the fully story of why he's livid. 

Alleged by who?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Generally speaking, I agree with the bolded. Let me ask you this, though.

Prior to the start of training camp, is there any indication that the Colts did anything to contribute to this drama, other than telling JT 'no extension, not right now'? I ask because this thing went from tepid to scalding in about 30 seconds, at least that's how it looks from the outside. 

To me, it seems like JT and his side were ready for a cage match, because they wanted to make the Colts uncomfortable. Recent reports about the Colts asking JT to come in early for a checkup actually make the Colts seem more than reasonable -- initial prognosis was a month of recovery, but he didn't participate in any offseason activities, and six months later he's still not cleared? Something is up, and the team wants to know his status.

Taylor responds by reporting 25 minutes late, and then he's surprisingly placed on PUP. That either means that the team was right to be concerned about his ankle, or that he's using the ankle as a ploy for leverage to get an extension offer.

And of course, there are bigger issues at play with the market in general, not specific to the Colts and Taylor, but he's (apparently) decided to make himself a poster boy for the larger cause. That's his right and his choice, but it's not an indication that the Colts did anything wrong.

So yeah, the team probably hasn't been perfect. I certainly think Irsay stepped in it a couple times recently, but his tweet and comments only came after JT showed up already disgruntled. So the majority of the acrimony, IMO, has come from Taylor. 

By the way, this is business, sometimes it gets ugly. It doesn't matter whose side I'm on, and I'm not too concerned with the blame game. But I'm also thinking that JT's stance is about more than him feeling like he hasn't been treated fairly by the Colts, specifically.

Hey, sorry, I haven’t responded to you for this long.   That wasn’t deliberate.  

I agree with a fair amount of what you say.   But I’ve noted at least two posters (more?) who say they think things are calming down.   Then, over on Stampede,  there’s a story posted saying the Colts believe things are calming down and hope they will continue to calm down and this will lead to Taylor staying with the Colts long term.    

Music for my ears!   Just what I want!

So, I’m going to pass on any further discussion.   Feels like the worst may be behind us and I’m fine with moving on.

Hope that’s ok for you? 

27 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Not a fact that any of those things happened at this point. 

• Like 1

Frankly I was always with the philosophy of drafting a RB let them play their rookie deal and then let them pursue free agency. It’s a cut throat philosophy but you don’t need to pay RBs over 8 million. The two problems for JT is that it’s a flooded market and teams have been able to find good RBs late in the draft, look at Pacheco with the Chiefs. The second is we have a new offense and it’s not known if it will have a feature back or use more of a RB by committee like the eagles used. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not a fact that any of those things happened at this point. 

Not a fact, but it has been stated by a beat reporter and that's being glossed over in the summary listed here recently.

Between all the chaos of last year with Reich, Irsay, Saturday and Ballard, it's not unlikely that JT could've felt that he had been made to play through injury that affects him this year and beyond for his career opportunities.

Again, I don't agree with the way JT has handled himself this off-season but I'd like to know what really he went through from his perspective. 

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Not a fact, but it has been stated by a beat reporter and that's being glossed over in the summary listed here recently.

Between all the chaos of last year with Reich, Irsay, Saturday and Ballard, it's not unlikely that JT could've felt that he had been made to play through injury that affects him this year and beyond for his career opportunities.

Again, I don't agree with the way JT has handled himself this off-season but I'd like to know what really he went through from his perspective. 

It doesn't mention it anywhere in Holder's article.  And a team can't force an injured player to play

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He played and re-injured his ankle in week 15.    As best I can tell, this is the injury that led to the ankle surgery.   He sat out games in weeks 16, 17, 18.  

Taylor initially hurt his ankle week 4, and sat out games weeks 5 and 6.   JT came back for week 7, then he sat out two weeks weeks 8 and 9 before coming back under Saturday vs Oakland with his best game of the year.    

Taylor played into week 15 where he got hurt again and sat out the rest of the year.  

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It doesn't mention it anywhere in Holder's article.  And a team can't force an injured player to play

Look at the timeline mentioned above by @NewColtsFan , I'm not saying Colts would've wanted to force JT to play through the injury. Far from it, Colts aren't that type of organization.

But, things happen without mutual understanding and agreement between a player and coaches, especially when there were two head coaches last year and one of them had no experience in being a head coach at professional level. All I'm saying is that if the report that said about JT playing through injury or through recovery phase was true, JT could've felt that his health and recovery this off-season have been adversely affected by whatever happened last year. That could have led JT to behave very out of character in past few weeks 

I still think, and I've already stated earlier that all these drama are normal especially in a contract year for a good player, and things will get sorted out. 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, sorry, I haven’t responded to you for this long.   That wasn’t deliberate.  

I agree with a fair amount of what you say.   But I’ve noted at least two posters (more?) who say they think things are calming down.   Then, over on Stampede,  there’s a story posted saying the Colts believe things are calming down and hope they will continue to calm down and this will lead to Taylor staying with the Colts long term.    

Music for my ears!   Just what I want!

So, I’m going to pass on any further discussion.   Feels like the worst may be behind us and I’m fine with moving on.

Hope that’s ok for you? 

All good. I hope that's the way it goes, and we get some normalcy at some point this preseason. 

• Thanks 1