Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TE log jam soon

JediXMan

When Woods comes back from the PUP the Colts are looking at a TE log jam. Woods, MO, Granson, Andrew Ogletree and Mallory. I don’t think they’ll carry all 5. So who’s the odd man out. Also you can’t stash any of them on the PS they’ll get picked up quickly. 

Me personally I’ll see if you could trade Mo. For me it’s the combination of Mo’s inconsistency and the upside of the other younger TEs.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

When Woods comes back from the PUP the Colts are looking at a TE log jam. Woods, MO, Granson, Andrew Ogletree and Mallory. I don’t think they’ll carry all 5. So who’s the odd man out. Also you can’t stash any of them on the PS they’ll get picked up quickly. 

Me personally I’ll see if you could trade Mo. For me it’s the combination of Mo’s inconsistency and the upside of the other younger TEs.

none of them are elite as of now, but promising . what a good problem to have

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

We feature TE a lot with Steichen. I doubt he cuts any of them. But 1 or two of them I'm certain you will see inactive on Game day depending on the opponent. Cox is the blocking Tight End so I actually think you will see him active in most cases.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Yeah someone will go.  I think it’s pretty clear it won’t be Woods or Granson.  I know fans think it should be Mo but the Colts seem value him more than fans do.  I am also not sure if Mo has much trade value around the league.  So to me it will be Ogletree or Mallory, who both kinda do the samething.  I think it’s worth noting Mallory was a healthy scratch week one but he did take advantage of his chance with Ogletree out Sunday.

• Like 1

Since we only have 4 WR on the roster I bet we keep all five. Winfree was already called up twice so not sure what will happen with him. But Mallory and Granson are basically WR. I’d Taylor plays in a couple weeks room will have to be made for him too. So it could get interesting.

They could decide to just keep woods on IR the whole season too.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Since we only have 4 WR on the roster I bet we keep all five. Winfree was already called up twice so not sure what will happen with him. But Mallory and Granson are basically WR. I’d Taylor plays in a couple weeks room will have to be made for him too. So it could get interesting.

Taylor will be easier either Funk or Jackson gets released.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just don't see them keeping Woods on IR.  I think he has the most potential out of the whole group.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JediXMan said:

If the Colts can’t find a way to keep all five then I think MAC is the odd man out.   I think the Colts would either try to trade him or release him if need be.   But I think we’re at least two more weeks from that decision. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Except for the keeping Woods on season IR, I agree with the rest of your post. Line those capable as a WR. Like Woods. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the Colts can’t find a way to keep all five then I think MAC is the odd man out.   I think the Colts would either try to trade him or release him if need be.   But I think we’re at least two more weeks from that decision. 

NCF, how proficient are the others in blocking? They all seem more the pass catcher types. 

11 minutes ago, cbear said:

NCF, how proficient are the others in blocking? They all seem more the pass catcher types. 

Hey, CB….

Woods should be good.   He was primarily a blocker in his three years at Okla State.   He only became more a receiver in his one year with Virginia.    

Ogletree should be more of a receiver, he’s a former college WR.   But he’s put on a lot of really good weight.   He’s listed at 6’5” and 260, but the scouts who rave about him describe him as huge and “rocked up”.   So his physical profile says he should be ok as a blocker if he wants to be.   By the way, Ogletree is listed as a blocking TE (Y) on the depth chart. 

Granson and Mallory,  as you noted, are smaller and are more the receiving types. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, CB….

Woods should be good.   He was primarily a blocker in his three years at Okla State.   He only became more a receiver in his one year with Virginia.    

Ogletree should be more of a receiver, he’s a former college WR.   But he’s put on a lot of really good weight.   He’s listed at 6’5” and 260, but the scouts who rave about him describe him as huge and “rocked up”.   So his physical profile says he should be ok as a blocker if he wants to be.   By the way, Ogletree is listed as a blocking TE (Y) on the depth chart. 

Granson and Mallory,  as you noted, are smaller and are more the receiving types. 

Wow, did not know that about Woods or Ogeltree. Good to know. 

I'd trade them all for Brock Bowers UGA.  Find the backups, blockers, and role players later.

It won't happen, and I'm fine with that, but there is the difference between having a real difference maker at the position for 9 years and the TEs we will rotate throughout the season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd trade them all for Brock Bowers UGA.  Find the backups, blockers, and role players later.

It won't happen, and I'm fine with that, but there is the difference between having a real difference maker at the position for 9 years and the TEs we will rotate throughout the season.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. If we are in striking distance, I wouldn't mind a small move up to get him if MHJ is not possible (say we are in pick 10 and MHJ goes in Top 4 and Bowers is sitting at 7 or 8 for us). If we do land him, obviously moves will be made to get rid of the expendable ones. 

Having said that, corner or OL or DL is what I expect Ballard to go after if he is in the 5-10 range.

• Like 1

No one really knows how close Woods is to being healthy. It appears to me that Ogletree has passed MAC on the depth chart.  We know Mallory was wanted by Steichen on draft day.  Granson isn’t going anywhere.  MAC will be the odd man out either some point this year or at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

As much as I wanted Mo to work out, I think he's the odd mad out. He makes too much $$ for the production. 

Unless we can trade him, there's no point in cutting him. His salary is guaranteed for the rest of the season.

I also don't know if Woods will just slide into the rotation the way everyone thinks. It sounds like the staff was disappointed with how he showed up to camp this year. He might stay in the dog house for a while.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Taylor takes Deions Jackson or Funks spot, that's easy

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Unless we can trade him, there's no point in cutting him. His salary is guaranteed for the rest of the season.

I also don't know if Woods will just slide into the rotation the way everyone thinks. It sounds like the staff was disappointed with how he showed up to camp this year. He might stay in the dog house for a while.

JMV hinted at this. That he didn’t take things  very serious this off season. Steichen had no connections to woods. If he likes what he has woods might be the one out.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Is he that good? Read a comment somewhere (not this site) with the author saying he’d take Bowers over Harrison. That’s saying something considering MHJr is one of the most ready WRs we’ve seen out of college in a good long while. 

23 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Is he that good? Read a comment somewhere (not this site) with the author saying he’d take Bowers over Harrison. That’s saying something considering MHJr is one of the most ready WRs we’ve seen out of college in a good long while. 

I probably said that, but it was more like saying Bowers should be in the conversation...not really a slam dunk either way.   Bowers has great agility, balance, and hands, and SEC defenders can't tackle him one on one.

I think Bowers is probably going to be a much better playmaker than any TE we have on the roster right now, even after they hit their ceiling.  IMO, it speaks to our TEs probably being like situational rotation quality players more than a 3 down versatile player.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Dang, didn't know $ was guaranteed.

You would've thought Colts would've already traded him by now if they were going to. Or they tried already and nobody was interested. Maybe there's a TE needy team Ballard can fleece :)

I doubt anyone will trade for MAC. And he’s a Ballard guy so I don’t see him going anywhere until his contract expires. And even then I’m not sure Ballard won’t sign him to an extension, because that would be a very Ballard thing to do. :peek:

Richardson and Granson have some chemistry between them. I noticed it during the preseason and they’ve hooked up in both regular season games. 

I’m eager to get Woods back into the fold. There’s a lot of potential between them just on how defenses are going to have to handle them, specifically in the red zone. 

If I had to guess I’d say Ogletree will be the odd man out. 

In my humble opinion - I believe that Jelani Woods will be the "featured TE" in Shane Steichen's offense for a variety of reasons.

I think that either Drew Ogletree or Will Mallory get signed to the practice squad.  I don't think either will get "snatched" from the practice squad - as they are both "works in progress" in the NFL game.  Plus - another team would have to keep them on their active roster for several weeks.

I think MO ends up staying on the active roster because he is the "blocking TE" at this point.

7 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Dang, didn't know $ was guaranteed.

You would've thought Colts would've already traded him by now if they were going to. Or they tried already and nobody was interested. Maybe there's a TE needy team Ballard can fleece :)

All veteran contracts become fully guaranteed If they make the opening day roster.

IF, say we trade Mac after 4 games, we would save the cost of the 13 remaining game checks ($3.7M). Also the amount for each game he played in the rest of the season. $30,000 Per game played in.

The amount total of these per games played Bonuses defers to9m Next year's salary cap.

Could there be a competitive needy team willing to pay Mac $3.7M for a 13 game Playoff push? Plus up to $390,000 in per games played bonuses.

Not going to be Chicago!

Mo may be our best blocker but my eyes say he is not that great of a blocker, and it is hard to picture him going somewhere, picking up their offense quickly and then making much of a contribution in the passing game.

I am no fan of Granson so I would like to see him traded.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

All veteran contracts become fully guaranteed If they make the opening day roster.

IF, say we trade Mac after 4 games, we would save the cost of the 13 remaining game checks ($3.7M). Also the amount for each game he played in the rest of the season. $30,000 Per game played in.

The amount total of these per games played Bonuses defers to9m Next year's salary cap.

Could there be a competitive needy team willing to pay Mac $3.7M for a 13 game Playoff push? Plus up to $390,000 in per games played bonuses.

Not going to be Chicago!

Mo may be our best blocker but my eyes say he is not that great of a blocker, and it is hard to picture him going somewhere, picking up their offense quickly and then making much of a contribution in the passing game.

I am no fan of Granson so I would like to see him traded.

MAC is NOT a bloking te, some have come to this false conclusion because he is Not a receiving  te  ........we had 1 blocking te on our preseason roster  that was Pharaoh Brown,,,,

19 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think Woods will show to be that. We just need to get him back in rotation and into the flow of things. Woods and Ogletree is what I'm most excited about.

6 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

MAC is NOT a bloking te, some have come to this false conclusion because he is Not a receiving  te  ........we had 1 blocking te on our preseason roster  that was Pharaoh Brown,,,,

when did it become a false conclusion? he's always been known and given value for his blocking. and that's part of why they could let Brown go. he just happens to be a decent receiver as well.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

I probably said that, but it was more like saying Bowers should be in the conversation...not really a slam dunk either way.   Bowers has great agility, balance, and hands, and SEC defenders can't tackle him one on one.

I think Bowers is probably going to be a much better playmaker than any TE we have on the roster right now, even after they hit their ceiling.  IMO, it speaks to our TEs probably being like situational rotation quality players more than a 3 down versatile player.

FWIW: 

Bowers is not an in-line TE.   He’s not a Y.   He’s an F.  He’s roughly 6’4” and 230.   He’s a much better Kylen Granson or Will Mallory.    Those guys were 4th and 5th round guys.   Do you really want to use a top-10 pick to get an upgrade?