Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 53 Man Roster

w87r

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Does this mean Leonard is playing week 1 ?

And French is Kelly's backup at center ?

This doesn't have any meaning until tomorrow.

Lot more changes to come at 12pm est(or shortly after)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Reactions

1 - Why are we keeping 3 QB's but only 4 WR's?

2 - How in the world is French still on this team?  He's rank terrible.  I guess that's the injury to Pinter.  (Who is also rank terrible.)

3 - Too bad for 5th round pick Darius Rush.  Imagine not making the team with a CB room like this?

4 - Six to Four ratio of DT's to DE's.  That screams Ballard all over the place.  I would have kept AQM over one of these guys.

I'm guessing either we use that 4th place waiver standing to get some extra players in here, or Arizona won't be the only team that's tanking.

Okay before I get to your questions it’s important to remember final cuts roster does NOT = opening day roster.

1.  See what happened to San Fran last year to answer why keep three QBs.  Plus the NFL changed the rules to help teams carry three QBs with the being able to dress all three for game day but not count one as one of the active players.  As for four WRs.  See my first point.  The Colts are going to add a WR or two before the Jags game I’d place money on it.  It just means none of the guys they released they felt were good enough to be on that opening day roster.

2.  French was really the only other option at back up center on the roster once Pinter went down.  He could still be released if they find another back up center the like more in the coming days.

3.  That was the most surprising of the cuts.  I am sure they are hoping to sneak him to the PS so they can try to develop him.  I just took that to mean two things.  Jones played really well and they don’t think Rush is ready for the active roster this year.

4.  I have a feeling they know they can get AQM back any time they want him.  He sat in free agency all off-season until the Colts signed him.  I don’t think he’s in high demand.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyEric07 said:

I’m really losing patience in Ballards decision making, especially in the WR area! Cutting 4 draft picks this year doesnt help either, especially with the lack of depth this team has. I just dont see CB lasting 3 years even with drafting AR. I’m almost ready for another GM to take over!

He didn't cut anyone. That was left to the coaching staff.

• Like 1

Just an  honest question. When one looks at this roster, is it not underwhelming? I mean after 7 years no division titles and this is what we have. It's actually kind of depressing and I , as of yet, don't see any young gun who is going to be  an elite player at his position.  Just a big meh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

We cut CB Darius Rush, S Daniel Scott, LB Titus Leo.  And T Jake Witt is on IR.

Kept, QB Anthony Richardson, CB Julius Brents, WR Josh Downs, T Blake Freeland, DE Adetomiwa Adebawore, TE Will Mallory, RB Evan Hull, DB Jaylon Jones.

I believe Scott and Leo are both on Ir as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It just means none of the guys they released they felt were good enough to be on that opening day roster.

I don't think it meant that.

I think there is a good chance one of those guys are brought back to active roster once we sort out waivers and IR'd guys.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

they don’t think Rush is ready for the active roster this year.

I don't think this meant that either.

I think Rush is further along than Brents now, which is reasonable because Brents missed so much of camp. No way.you can get Brents to PS, so couple that with Rush got injured and the team picking up waivers has to have player on active roster for 3 games. It increased the chances substantially for him to be able to make it to the practice squad.

He did get cooked quite a few times. That cookin Brents took in practice was ugly though. Pretty sure in that part 3 training camp video, the team was on him in front of everyone about it. If not that play, it was another.

5 hours ago, w87r said:

So what does it mean when these players are on this list?  What happened to JoJo Domann?  Will they be available when they are ready to return?  Placed on Injured Reserve: LB JoJo Domann, DE Titus Leo, C Danny Pinter, TE Ricky Seals-Jones

Thank you!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nancy said:

So what does it mean when these players are on this list?  What happened to JoJo Domann?  Will they be available when they are ready to return?  Placed on Injured Reserve: LB JoJo Domann, DE Titus Leo, C Danny Pinter, TE Ricky Seals-Jones

Thank you!!

No, any player put on IR prior to cut downs can't play for us this year.

They can seek an injury settlement if they return to health and can come back.

You have to make the final roster then be placed on IR to be able to return

You will more than likely see that with Woods tomorrow.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With how thin this roster is an how young this team is I think we can say the colts are officially rebuilding.

Thin, but still have a pretty solid core to work with.

Definitely a transition. New staff roster shuffle. To be expected to an extent.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wonder if we will see some vets traded before that trade deadline if the record is bad. Could use draft picks in 24.

Potentially.

Grover

Buckner

Moore II - he stayed getting cooked like Tolliver this preseason.

MAC 

Would love to figure out how to pull one of the Bears two 1st(own, Car)

If Richardson flashes some of his potential we can win plenty games this season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Potentially.

Grover

Buckner

Moore II - he stayed getting cooked like Tolliver this preseason.

MAC 

Would love to figure out how to pull one of the Bears two 1st(own, Car)

If Richardson flashes some of his potential we can win plenty games this season.

Yeah it will depend on where their record is and how far colts look. I am not stressing about wins and losses just excited to watch the offense.

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Reactions

2 - How in the world is French still on this team?  He's rank terrible.  I guess that's the injury to Pinter.  (Who is also rank terrible.)

3 - Too bad for 5th round pick Darius Rush.  Imagine not making the team with a CB room like this?

4 - Six to Four ratio of DT's to DE's.  That screams Ballard all over the place.  I would have kept AQM over one of these guys.

I'm guessing either we use that 4th place waiver standing to get some extra players in here, or Arizona won't be the only team that's tanking.

Because if one of our qbs doesn’t work out we can just move him to wr. He is faster then most of them anyways. Not sure what that says about our wr group.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

God JMV is so hard to listen too. He says the colts have set their rookie QB up to fail. Does this guy realize we are a team rebuilding and evaluating. He needs to set his expectations different. 

I don’t think JMV has much of a football mind.  Or perhaps he can write a letter to the Colts organization explaining to the coaches what he saw during training camp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Just an  honest question. When one looks at this roster, is it not underwhelming? I mean after 7 years no division titles and this is what we have. It's actually kind of depressing and I , as of yet, don't see any young gun who is going to be  an elite player at his position.  Just a big meh.

Time will tell, but I don't see how you can honestly say AR is just meh.  He's young and exciting.  I think Downs is exciting too.  They both just gotta be consistent.

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Reactions

pinter was not terrible, really at any point. (at center)

outside of Grove, and Buck, our defense is kinda gutted. 

Im not expecting anything from Leonard

10 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Reactions

Meanwhile, New England cut their second and third string quarterbacks.   They kept one, just Mac Jones.    Do you think they’re going to go the whole season with just one QB?    

And the Rams currently have zero kickers.  Do you think they’ll pick up one before the season starts?   

In short, nothing is etched in stone.   Things will change and soon.  The Colts will acquire another receiver.   They’ll make some moves, maybe even a trade.   The season doesn’t start for nearly two weeks.   

As Aaron Rodgers likes to say….   Chillax! 

PS — practice squad additions should be interesting….   

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With how thin this roster is an how young this team is I think we can say the colts are officially rebuilding.

Eh, we aren't overloaded with killer vet talent but .... Guys like

Steichen and an almost entirely new staff...

Q, Kelly, Smith, Pitt, (Taylor).... That's it on Offense, so I could see "rebuilding" the O...

Now D?  I don't think it's a "rebuild" at all outside of Cornerback.... You still have Gus for one as an established coach and system, 

Then....

Paye, Buckner, Grove, Ebukam,

Dayo, Bryan, Tyquan, probably AQM....

Leonard, Franklin, Speed, Moore, Blackmon, And a bunch of young bucks in the secondary....

I lean towards a rebuild of the O, and a retool of the secondary.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Time will tell, but I don't see how you can honestly say AR is just meh.  He's young and exciting.  I think Downs is exciting too.  They both just gotta be consistent.

I wasn't really including him as he hasn't played a game. Ask me at the end of the year. Its promising but his accuracy sucks but we all knew that was a work in progress. Everything else bout this young man impresses me

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

2.  French was really the only other option at back up center on the roster once Pinter went down.  He could still be released if they find another back up center the like more in the coming days.

Based on your logic for keeping 4 WRs, French should be gone also, because he's not good enough to be on the 53 man roster either. IMO.

I really think the OL is problematic. Don't know who will start at RG, and there's basically no proven, quality depth at any position. I think this is a flat out failure on Ballard's part. I hope that they decided the OL coaching was just so blatantly awful the past couple of seasons, and they're counting on some of the guys playing better this season, and I hope that works out, but I think it's a bad strategy.

• Like 4

Just now, Superman said:

Based on your logic for keeping 4 WRs, French should be gone also, because he's not good enough to be on the 53 man roster either. IMO.

I really think the OL is problematic. Don't know who will start at RG, and there's basically no proven, quality depth at any position. I think this is a flat out failure on Ballard's part. I hope that they decided the OL coaching was just so blatantly awful the past couple of seasons, and they're counting on some of the guys playing better this season, and I hope that works out, but I think it's a bad strategy.

It’s not my logic it’s what I think the Colts did and why I think they did it.  I think they feel with a rookie QB finding a back up center is harder to do than finding a fourth of fifth WR.  

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is a problem across the entire league. There are certainly teams with better OL..and many with worse but there is almost no teams with better depth…across the league it’s the most common concern and issue. The league has a shortage of talent. I also think it’s more to do with the explosion of talent on the DL as well making the OL look less impressive. Ballard hasn’t failed imo…he has actively drafted, spent, and looked to develop the OL as much as any GM imo. Has it been successful…yes and no. Having a mobile qb is a way to offset these deficiencies…I think Ballard recognizes that and it’s part of the equation. I don’t give him a pass but this team has a lot of holes and you can’t just put all your resources into that one position group. 

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This is a problem across the entire league. There are certainly teams with better OL..and many with worse but there is almost no teams with better depth…across the league it’s the most common concern and issue. The league has a shortage of talent. I also think it’s more to do with the explosion of talent on the DL as well making the OL look less impressive. Ballard hasn’t failed imo…he has actively drafted, spent, and looked to develop the OL as much as any GM imo. Has it been successful…yes and no. Having a mobile qb is a way to offset these deficiencies…I think Ballard recognizes that and it’s part of the equation. I don’t give him a pass but this team has a lot of holes and you can’t just put all your resources into that one position group. 

OL was our second biggest need going into the offseason. We signed no one in free agency. I expected a signing after the draft, but nothing. I hoped for someone at the start of camp, still blanks. We struggled at OL in camp and preseason, then lost probably our best backup to injury (and he's not even very good). And we still haven't done anything. 

They are banking on several players being better this season than they were last season, and I hope that's exactly what happens. But it's not a great way to address one of the biggest needs on the team. And there were plenty of mid level OL who could have helped solidify the room, at the very least bring some competition for guys like French, Fries, Pinter, O'Donnell (who has never played in a game), etc. I wasn't expecting them to sign Mike McGlinchey, but they basically did nothing but draft a guy in the 4th round who probably isn't strong enough to play this year.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

OL was our second biggest need going into the offseason. We signed no one in free agency. I expected a signing after the draft, but nothing. I hoped for someone at the start of camp, still blanks. We struggled at OL in camp and preseason, then lost probably our best backup to injury (and he's not even very good). And we still haven't done anything. 

They are banking on several players being better this season than they were last season, and I hope that's exactly what happens. But it's not a great way to address one of the biggest needs on the team. And there were plenty of mid level OL who could have helped solidify the room, at the very least bring some competition for guys like French, Fries, Pinter, O'Donnell (who has never played in a game), etc. I wasn't expecting them to sign Mike McGlinchey, but they basically did nothing but draft a guy in the 4th round who probably isn't strong enough to play this year.

That's how Ballard has been handling this whole thing. I remember after the awful season had ended, Ballard took full responsibility for the line, he said something like "that is on me". So then he turns around, and what does he do? nothing. Seems to think the problem was a combination of injuries, coaching, conditioning, off year by some players, etc. So, I guess we have to wait and see? Perhaps by some miracle, the line will be a strength of the team once again? As I have said in other postings, Ballard will have to live and die with the roster he has assembled.

I had first thought, if the team struggles again this year, especially because of the o-line, then that would be the final straw and Ballard would be fired. But probably, even if that happens, he will be safe because of AR5 being a young rookie.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

I really hope reporters grill Ballard on this later today, but honestly I think it's going to be all about JT.

9 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

That's how Ballard has been handling this whole thing. I remember after the awful season had ended, Ballard took full responsibility for the line, he said something like "that is on me". So then he turns around, and what does he do? nothing. Seems to think the problem was a combination of injuries, coaching, conditioning, off year by some players, etc. So, I guess we have to wait and see? Perhaps by some miracle, the line will be a strength of the team once again? As I have said in other postings, Ballard will have to live and die with the roster he has assembled.

I had first thought, if the team struggles again this year, especially because of the o-line, then that would be the final straw and Ballard would be fired. But probably, even if that happens, he will be safe because of AR5 being a young rookie.

I think the bolded is the key, and I hope he's right. But I also know we've seen a good deal of Pinter, French, Fries, etc., and none of them have looked like quality backups. They were meant to replace guys like Glowinski, Reed, etc., not a high bar, and they haven't even been able to clear that threshold. I would have wanted at least a solid veteran addition, and you can still bank on the development of some of these young guys. 

And still, even if those guys are better, what if Nelson misses four games? What if Kelly can't bounce back? What if Smith is injured? Now we're betting on those young guys being ready to step up, and everything we've seen so far has indicated they're not good enough. Especially their play in preseason and joint practices.

• Like 1

I mean, I've been one of those who've given Ballard a longer leash than others so to speak but if we suffer because of the OL play this season then that's totally on him and he needs to be held accountable! It's been glaringly obvious to most that something needed to be done even if it was better depth and yet here we are with the season upon us and the situation no better unless the starters take a big leap forward and none of them get injured! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the bolded is the key, and I hope he's right. But I also know we've seen a good deal of Pinter, French, Fries, etc., and none of them have looked like quality backups. They were meant to replace guys like Glowinski, Reed, etc., not a high bar, and they haven't even been able to clear that threshold. I would have wanted at least a solid veteran addition, and you can still bank on the development of some of these young guys. 

And still, even if those guys are better, what if Nelson misses four games? What if Kelly can't bounce back? What if Smith is injured? Now we're betting on those young guys being ready to step up, and everything we've seen so far has indicated they're not good enough. Especially their play in preseason and joint practices.

But I remember well, on this very forum, how Glowinski was the "whipping boy" of the forum for years. Everybody was calling for him replaced at RG.

Then when he left during FA for a hefty contract to the Giants, he was suddenly sorely missed.

I see Wesley French as being treated the same way.

He struggled a bit in one or two of the preseason games last year, and everyone expected him to be cut, but I noticed he played well at times, and obviously the team did too, since they did not risk placing him on the practice squad, but rather the 53 man roster.

Then onto 2023, everyone wants Kelly to be traded, but the Colts give him the vote of confidence, and reassures him he is an important member of the team. In the preseason, after figuring out Danny Pinter is not the answer at guard, they return him, to his natural spot, as the back up center, and try moving French to G. French did struggle in the limited time I saw him at guard, but then, when Pinter got hurt, French did a fine job back at center.

I just think it's not fair to discount French as some bum, without ever seeing him play in a meaningful game. Perhaps you and the rest are right? and he will end up stinking, but with Ryan Kelly as the starter, one would think, it may only be a matter of time, before we see WF in that spot, to prove us right or wrong.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

But I remember well, on this very forum, how Glowinski was the "whipping boy" of the forum for years. Everybody was calling for him replaced at RG.

Then when he left during FA for a hefty contract to the Giants, he was suddenly sorely missed.

I always called Glow replaceable, and I stand by that. He got a nice contract from the Giants, but his play was pretty ugly in 2022. His spot should not be that hard to fill.

I just think it's not fair to discount French as some bum, without ever seeing him play in a meaningful game. Perhaps you and the rest are right? and he will end up stinking, but with Ryan Kelly as the starter, one would think, it may only be a matter of time, before we see WF in that spot, to prove us right or wrong.

Fingers crossed that they prove me wrong. But French wasn't good in preseason last year, and he wasn't anything to write home about in preseason this year. It's not like he was a dominant college player. He's a guy you bring in, give a shot, and if he does well you celebrate. But if he doesn't do well, you move on, and here we are going into Week 1 with him as our primary backup interior OL.