Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 12 8-16 Joint practice with Bears

34 minutes ago, w87r said:

Starting units per 1075 article:

"Here is how the starting offense looked on Wednesday: QB-Anthony Richardson, RB-Deon Jackson, WR-Michael Pittman Jr., WR-Alec Pierce, WR-Josh Downs, TE-Kylen Granson, LT-Bernhard Raimann, LG-Quenton Nelson, C-Danny Pinter, RG-Will Fries, RT-Blake Freeland."

"Here is how the starting defense looked on Wednesday: DE-Samson Ebukam, DT-Grover Stewart, DT-Eric Johnson, DE-Kwity Paye, LB-Zaire Franklin, LB-Shaquille Leonard, LB-E.J. Speed, CB-Dallis Flowers, CB-Darrell Baker Jr., S-Julian Blackmon, S-Rodney Thomas II."

It's nice that Freeland continues to see major reps.

With Pinter running with the 1's the last couple days, seems like he is in driver seat for backup Center spot, plus in a pinch(pretty bad pinch,lol), he can supply some guard depth or Blocking TE in GL

Hopefully Buckner is good and will be back shortly. That defense looks good with him back.

Edit: Disclaimer, this is in no way shape or form to ever see Pinter at Guard.

Just an observation of him running start center with Kelly out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lol Holder. Does he not realize they might of purposely been working on underneath stuff. This is where he struggles do it’s great news he was that accurate on underneath stuff.

X got Holder out here releasing statements.

Good call Chloe, I'm sure it was part of the game plan to work on. I'm sure Bears defense forced that action, sounds like he was making the right reads, and just as important hitting his targets very accurately.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lol Holder. Does he not realize they might of purposely been working on underneath stuff. This is where he struggles do it’s great news he was that accurate on underneath stuff.

Classic! Go to Waffle House Stephen, we all know your angle. You are obsessed with the JT situation and obvious ties with his agent. Have the gumption to stand by what you wrote, no one cares about your classic line “we will have to see”.

• Like 1

Throwing short against Cover 2 is what every QB is told to do in the NFL lol.

Let's add the fact that Steichen most likely didn't call many run plays for AR to exploit the shell himself, which I imagine he would do plenty of in a real game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

X got Holder out here releasing statements.

Good call Chloe, I'm sure it was part of the game plan to work on. I'm sure Bears defense forced that action, sounds like he was making the right reads, and just as important hitting his targets very accurately.

It means he took the layups which is a great sign.

• Like 2

Just now, John Hammonds said:

Hi folks!  I am home from Colts camp!

Actually, I agree with Stephen Holder.  I was there.  Yes, Richardson did make a lot of underneath completions, but there were very few "WOW" plays.  It looked like he was having to go to his 2nd and 3rd read a lot.  And was pressured a lot.  And took off running a lot.  Now that I read that both Kelly and Fries weren't in there, it's no wonder.  No, I don't think Richardson looked bad, I just think he didn't look great.

My biggest takeaway from watching camp today was Josh Downs.  This guys is seriously electric.  He's always open.  He catches anything thrown anywhere near him.  He's going to give Richardson a serious run for his money on team rookie of the year.

During full team drills, we never put it in the end zone.  (Or, at least it felt like we never did!)  It was a lot of scrambles and a lot of check downs.

I guess I'm gonna blame it on the missing pieces from the OL.  But I'm sure there's more blame to go around, and I'm just not smart enough to know the difference.

That might of been on purpose. Maybe they were exclusively working on that. Like stated above that’s what a eberflus defense wants you to do. They force you to take the layups. Not discounting your opinion but it might of been by designs. Oline didn’t seem to be very good either.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

He may struggle a little with the over the middle stuff, but DAMN can he ever place those deep shots...

It’s really weird.  At the combine he throws those lovely deep balls and is in accurate with most other throws.  He seems to that in camp too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Actually, I agree with Stephen Holder.  I was there.  Yes, Richardson did make a lot of underneath completions, but there were very few "WOW" plays.  It looked like he was having to go to his 2nd and 3rd read a lot.  And was pressured a lot.  And took off running a lot.  Now that I read that both Kelly and Fries weren't in there, it's no wonder.  No, I don't think Richardson looked bad, I just think he didn't look great.

My biggest takeaway from watching camp today was Josh Downs.  This guys is seriously electric.  He's always open.  He catches anything thrown anywhere near him.  He's going to give Richardson a serious run for his money on team rookie of the year.

During full team drills, we never put it in the end zone.  (Or, at least it felt like we never did!)  It was a lot of scrambles and a lot of check downs.

I guess I'm gonna blame it on the missing pieces from the OL.  But I'm sure there's more blame to go around, and I'm just not smart enough to know the difference.

Sounds reasonable.

I’m glad we finally broke down and brought in a couple of shifty little route runners.  We’ve needed them for years.  Haven’t had any for a long time.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Wow! Just what we all want to hear. With only a little over 3 weeks before our first game...

It appears the Colts OL is an absolute disaster

Why would anyone want to read grumpy sourpuss sky is falling drivel this far away from the season opener?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Seems Cross has really improved this year. Has had some interceptions.

That's nice to hear. Its kind of forgotten how young he is, still just 21. We traded up into the 3rd round to select him last year. He has the talent, it would be great to see that come through this year.

• Like 4

Honestly, I like what I hear coming from camp.  Bears are going to give you that underneath and that is something AR has to improve on.  I’m pretty sure in a real game Shane will dial up some runs with AR and whoever is the RB to eat away at the Cover 2.

sad to hear about the almost picks.  How did they come about?  Bad reads, bad throws, or the defender just making a play?

Some details from article:

"Another pick-six for Darius Rush

Coming off his preseason debut against the Buffalo Bills, which included a pick-six, Rush followed that up with another Wednesday against the Bears offense. Working against former Colts quarterback P.J. Walker, Rush nabbed an interception and brought it to the house for a would-be score. The fifth-round pick continues to make plays and is building momentum toward carving out a role this season"

"Pass rush shows up

Two Colts players stood out when it came to the pass rush against the Bears offensive line. Third-year edge rusher Kwity Paye and free-agent signee Samson Ebukam both had strong days consistently getting after the quarterback. Considering they are the projected starters, that’s an encouraging sign."

"Offensive line issues

The Colts were without starting center Ryan Kelly, who is dealing with a foot injury, which means Danny Pinter was in to replace him. They also saw starting right guard Will Fries leave practice early due to an apparent calf injury, which he got wrapped up by the training staff. Arlington Hambright, who has spent most of the camp working as the second-team left tackle, replaced Fries at right guard.

On top of that, it appears the unit as a whole struggled in pass protection during team drills, and they failed to get the run game going, which has been an issue throughout camp.

It should be noted that left tackle Bernhard Raimann and right tackle Braden Smith had strong days against the Bears edge rushers."

There is 4 other takeaways in the article:

Richardson

Downs

Moore vs Moore 

Injuries 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Why would anyone want to read grumpy sourpuss sky is falling drivel this far away from the season opener?

Perhaps because the team went through such a tough slog last year with the same issues? No O line depth. Shaky C and RG play. I share the concern. I expect Ballard to make a move soon to shore things up. We’ll see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Some details from article:

"Another pick-six for Darius Rush

Coming off his preseason debut against the Buffalo Bills, which included a pick-six, Rush followed that up with another Wednesday against the Bears offense. Working against former Colts quarterback P.J. Walker, Rush nabbed an interception and brought it to the house for a would-be score. The fifth-round pick continues to make plays and is building momentum toward carving out a role this season"

"Pass rush shows up

Two Colts players stood out when it came to the pass rush against the Bears offensive line. Third-year edge rusher Kwity Paye and free-agent signee Samson Ebukam both had strong days consistently getting after the quarterback. Considering they are the projected starters, that’s an encouraging sign."

"Offensive line issues

The Colts were without starting center Ryan Kelly, who is dealing with a foot injury, which means Danny Pinter was in to replace him. They also saw starting right guard Will Fries leave practice early due to an apparent calf injury, which he got wrapped up by the training staff. Arlington Hambright, who has spent most of the camp working as the second-team left tackle, replaced Fries at right guard.

On top of that, it appears the unit as a whole struggled in pass protection during team drills, and they failed to get the run game going, which has been an issue throughout camp.

It should be noted that left tackle Bernhard Raimann and right tackle Braden Smith had strong days against the Bears edge rushers."

There is 4 other takeaways in the article:

Richardson

Downs

Moore vs Moore 

Injuries 

Good news about Cross, hope he keeps it up. 

• Like 2

So the starting corners were Flowers and Baker on the boundary and Moore at Nickel.

Thomas and Cross at FS and SS, respectively. With Blackmon and Harrison still in the wings…..

That is 4 second year players and Kenny.

Then they bring in Rush, Brents and Jones……I really like the “potential” of our DB’s.

• Like 5

I went to some Bears sites to get their take on the practice.  Sounds like MPJ impressed them.  Other than that, they probably felt like they got the better of us.  

There’s a clip of Brents getting burned for a TD in one on ones by Nsimba Webster.  He ran by him like Ju Ju was wearing army boots.  Drives home the point why we don’t do more press.  

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Perhaps because the team went through such a tough slog last year with the same issues? No O line depth. Shaky C and RG play. I share the concern. I expect Ballard to make a move soon to shore things up. We’ll see. 

I expected it in June. At this point, I don't expect any major changes, and I think that's a mistake.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I went to some Bears sites to get their take on the practice.  Sounds like MPJ impressed them.  Other than that, they probably felt like they got the better of us.  

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There’s a clip of Brents getting burned for a TD in one on ones by Nsimba Webster.  He ran by him like Ju Ju was wearing army boots.  Drives home the point why we don’t do more press.  

Webster is slow 4.55, just as Brents is. This just tells me that the 5'9 176lb  Webster got Brents to turn his hips then broke away. Brents will always have trouble with little guys. Matchups matter.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I expected it in June. At this point, I don't expect any major changes, and I think that's a mistake.

I think Ballard is hoping someone useable will be available when another team cut to the 53 roster. But it is a gamble as the NFL isn’t exactly flooded with cheap quality O linemen, so it looks like a fail again, unfortunately.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

We may have found our Wes Welker/Julian Edelman type in the slot in Josh Downs. 👍

• Like 1