Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Takeaways from the Bills game

John Hammonds

7 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Watching a replay of the AR interception...

it was a poor decision to throw the ball where he did, but the O-line had an assignment breakdown on that play (very reminiscent of last year).

The Bills defender ran a stunt right around our RG, came unblocked, straight up the middle, into Richardson's face.

So along with the blame our rookie QB takes, the o-line should face equal criticism.

Exactly. It looked like he was trying to make an impossible play while out of balance. Should have taken the sack or just thrown it out over the sideline, not sure if the last was an option.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Exactly. It looked like he was trying to make an impossible play while out of balance. Should have taken the sack or just thrown it out over the sideline, not sure if the last was an option.  

Again........first NFL live action..........how did he perform AFTER the INT should be the focus........

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think they had some designed runs for him.  If he was a small quarterback I could see the hesitation but he’s huge.  So I’m not really concerned about him getting hit on a sneak.

Same thing was said about Luck and how’d that turn out?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rayski said:

image.png.d9e33c44443c6c3beaf0c34c99b00e25.png

Injured and wearing a boot

4 hours ago, Nancy said:

What about the kicker Matt Gay?  Will he make it?  Didn't look so hot.

He missed a FG with a bad hold. Not all his fault. The missed PAT was with the other kicker

• Like 2

New 2nd half takeaways as I rewatch 2nd half.(missed 1st half of replay)

Rush pick 6, still was nice, and like was posted in game thread, Titus Leo positioning was the reason that play could happen.

Toliver, we've seen enough, time to swap out, got a nice group of guys there to compete for the 5-6 spots. No PS spot either

McGrone - he was lost out there, couple decent plays but didn't play very well in general 

Dayo has became the player the Colts were hoping for. Should be a good year for him.

Ekiyor didn't look good in his first snaps(3rd qtr) 

Ekiyor looking better to start the 4th, holding blocks and driving somes guys down field.

Taven Bryan was in backfield a few times.

Isaac-Stuart looked just as bad as Toliver, but he is still relatively new.

DL is deep, will be tough cuts, maybe can player for player trade before cut downs.

Even though 2nd and 3rd teams was nice to see the def get a couple turnovers and sacks.

Wesley got drove like 6yds in the backfield on 4th and 1.

Yep, Toliver can still go

Lol, still, again

Dayo still blowing up the backfield

Rush got beat on the corner route TD to Patmon.

Ekiyor really had a good 4th, he seemed to settle in nicely. We need him to give us something.

Huntley cut off of Ekiyor block for the TD

I liked the Colts Timeout strategy, call them early instead of letting the clock tick 40 more seconds. Didn't pan out, but was noted. This is Bills broadcast and they even just now mentioned it.

Pretty much it.

Hopefully we look at bringing in some OL depth, but tbh, they looked very serviceable in the 4th quarter. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

New 2nd half takeaways as I rewatch 2nd half.(missed 1st half of replay)

Rush pick 6, still was nice, and like was posted in game thread, Titus Leo positioning was the reason that play could happen.

Toliver, we've seen enough, time to swap out, got a nice group of guys there to compete for the 5-6 spots. No PS spot either

McGrone - he was lost out there, couple decent plays but didn't play very well in general 

Dayo has became the player the Colts were hoping for. Should be a good year for him.

Ekiyor didn't look good in his first snaps(3rd qtr) 

Ekiyor looking better to start the 4th, holding blocks and driving somes guys down field.

Taven Bryan was in backfield a few times.

Isaac-Stuart looked just as bad as Toliver, but he is still relatively new.

DL is deep, will be tough cuts, maybe can player for player trade before cut downs.

Even though 2nd and 3rd teams was nice to see the def get a couple turnovers and sacks.

Wesley got drove like 6yds in the backfield on 4th and 1.

Yep, Toliver can still go

Lol, still, again

Dayo still blowing up the backfield

Rush got beat on the corner route TD to Patmon.

Ekiyor really had a good 4th, he seemed to settle in nicely. We need him to give us something.

Huntley cut off of Ekiyor block for the TD

I liked the Colts Timeout strategy, call them early instead of letting the clock tick 40 more seconds. Didn't pan out, but was noted. This is Bills broadcast and they even just now mentioned it.

Pretty much it.

Hopefully we look at bringing in some OL depth, but tbh, they looked very serviceable in the 4th quarter. 

Watched Titus Leo in that 2nd half and he was at every play on the opposite side of field. He's got a great motor. Couple of those across the middle on Rush I was trying to look back and see if he got rubbed. He's too fast to have that much separation against him.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s fun not complaining about coaching after this game. Yes everyone still complained in the preseason about Reich. 

Panther fans are repeating some of the exact same thing colt fans have said for years. Taking the preseason to casual and panthers not being ready. Also complaining about the Oline and they could not handle twists and stunts. Just have to laugh. For the record Reich have a assistant coach play calling duties today.

Panther fans "just have to trust the process and stay the course" :facepalm: Frank's lack of urgency and bland offense is now someone else's problem. Class act as a person though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dyson said:

Need a true #1 WR, right now they have no big play makers. Pittman and Pierce are not it.

Pierce is definitely still young but he gives me bust vibes and I'm always a homer when it comes to my team.

11 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Chris Ballard making the same mistakes he made last season with handing guys starting jobs (Will Fries) while refusing to bring in a veteran RG and T to compete and push guys like Fries, Raimann, and Freeland, while providing reliable quality depth behind the starters.

Push Raimann hahaha. 

Ekiyor is here to challenge Fries.

Ugh, Freeland is here to challenge Smith, and backup Raimann.

Smith at some point should be our best RG which would work if Freeland steps up.

I hope this gets you back on track.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

To be fair, by my recollection, Luck got hurt staying in the pocket for a hit AND for an off-season injury playing in the snow - not from scrambling……

That kidney thing he had going on from the Mack truck (or the Denver broncos) that hit him was a busted play. He was scrambling.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yikes for Fries. He will probably be better with Braden there on the right side. That left side is going to be just fine. I have no clue what colts would do though if they lost both Nelson and Rainmann to injuries. 

No doubt Fries will improve with Smiths return.  I’m sure Q’s bounce back is helping Raimann too.  We all know how important teamwork and chemistry matter on the OL.

2 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I made a comment about the early kicking woes in camp and I was told I’m overreacting. I truly hope he turns it around because we need to be making these extra points and FGs. He isn’t looking good right now. 

I was actually there... Seats on the 10 ...17 rows up. It was a botched snap and hold. It was also windy.Not sure what the issue was on the botched xp with the other kicker. That was on the other end of the field.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

To be fair, by my recollection, Luck got hurt staying in the pocket for a hit AND for an off-season injury playing in the snow - not from scrambling……

Lacerated kidney on that scramble 

Just now, richard pallo said:

No doubt Fries will improve with Smiths return.  I’m sure Q’s bounce back is helping Raimann too.  We all know how important teamwork and chemistry matter on the OL.

This part, in the bold: I believe (from listening to what Ballard has said and what he isn't saying) this is part of the reason we did 'nothing' with the O-Line this year. Ballard acknowledged that the fact of changing the line last year was just as disruptive as the quality of the players he changed. What I think he wants is this: he wants to keep the group from the end of last season in place so they can learn and grow together. He thinks the pieces are adequate and will work better if they stay a unit. Plugging in a new piece - even if that piece is a fantastic individual - won't necessarily solve the problem (especially since there aren't enough good lineman and dollars for good linemen to go around). So, the line stays as is. This is just my understanding of the situation, of course. #NoCharge

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lester said:

This part, in the bold: I believe (from listening to what Ballard has said and what he isn't saying) this is part of the reason we did 'nothing' with the O-Line this year. Ballard acknowledged that the fact of changing the line last year was just as disruptive as the quality of the players he changed. What I think he wants is this: he wants to keep the group from the end of last season in place so they can learn and grow together. He thinks the pieces are adequate and will work better if they stay a unit. Plugging in a new piece - even if that piece is a fantastic individual - won't necessarily solve the problem (especially since there aren't enough good lineman and dollars for good linemen to go around). So, the line stays as is. This is just my understanding of the situation, of course. #NoCharge

I definitely think that plays a part. Plus want to see if coaching can help with current set of players.

The Colts want to see exactly what we have. Let them grow and develop together and then

If they feel they need to bring a vet in off the FA list for depth. Those guys should have a much easier time to get acclimated.

Won't be surprised if they make a move this week. Probably see few transactions this week. Ready for them to pop off.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Very pleased to see that rating for Raimann…

Read something earlier, that said he didn't allow a pressure in 12 pass pro snaps

https://www.colts.com/news/anthony-richardson-breakdown-preseason-bills-shaquille-leonard-darius-rush

Per Colts.com:

"Left tackle Bernhard Raimann didn't allow a pressure on 12 pass blocking snaps. The Colts ran a decent amount of quick game and screens, but Raimann stonewalled Bills defensive ends Leonard Floyd, Boogie Basham and A.J. Epenesa on longer-developing pass plays."

Edit: side bar, hopefully Freeland has the same trajectory.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Read something earlier, that said he didn't allow a pressure in 12 pass pro snaps

https://www.colts.com/news/anthony-richardson-breakdown-preseason-bills-shaquille-leonard-darius-rush

Per Colts.com:

"Left tackle Bernhard Raimann didn't allow a pressure on 12 pass blocking snaps. The Colts ran a decent amount of quick game and screens, but Raimann stonewalled Bills defensive ends Leonard Floyd, Boogie Basham and A.J. Epenesa on longer-developing pass plays."

Just imagine Freeland with a Raimann level leap during the season and Smith moving to RG - top OL in the league right there!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Just imagine Freeland with a Raimann level leap during the season and Smith moving to RG - top OL in the league right there!

I would be happy with Fries taking a Raimann level leap and Smith staying at RT.  Freeland can then concentrate on becoming our swing tackle.  I think it’s more important to have a swing tackle you can count on.  Hopefully Freeland can handle that role.  Then all we would need are a couple of competent backup guards.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, w87r said:

Per Colts.com:

That's positive, some of those those rushers have good power, particuarly Epensea, so to see him handle those type of guys is encouraging. Because we know he has the atletic traits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I would be happy with Fries taking a Raimann level leap and Smith staying at RT.  Freeland can then concentrate on becoming our swing tackle.  I think it’s more important to have a swing tackle you can count on.  Hopefully Freeland can handle that role.  Then all we would need are a couple of competent backup guards.

Why of course we all would. And Fries should continue to get better with more playing time. Unfortunately he isn't the athlete nor has the power so ... Yada Yada Yada. 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/13/indianapolis-colts-buffalo-bills-preseason-week-1-snap-counts/

All snap counts there.

I was wrong, didn't think Flowers or Ekubam played, they each had 6 defensive stats

Side bar - our run game looked good in the 1st quarter with Richardson and Jackson, even Hull had couple good carries then as well.

Run game got slowed up after that.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Actually Raimanns level of play will help Q as much or more. Q did well to hold his own if you were watching.

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Anyone notice how well Richardson spread the ball around. I liked that.

I have no doubt Steichen had plays with quick hitting opportunities, and he found them quickly with solid enough accuracy. For a first game against a good D.

Get Smith out there with our better TE's will bump our probabilities.

How about his low arm angle and quick release? So like Rivers! And how quickly his ball gets to his receivers. It's like making defenders close to a whole step further away.

And breaking that defensive ends tackle.

These are the types of little things we Need to see, that should put a little gleam in the eye of the wise and knowledge Colts "Super Fans".

• Like 1