Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp day one 7/26

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And the coach said today they are being cautious because of his off-season surgery which is not out of the norm for players coming off off-season surgery and he will be out there.  That certainly does NOTHING to support the argument for he’s holding in and in fact says they are doing exactly what he says he’s doing.  

What else do you expect him to say? 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Kenny Moore did a hold in last year and wasn’t put on PUP.  In order to be on PUP you have to have a doctor sign off on it.  You don’t do that to “hold in”.  If you want to do that you do what Kenny Moore did and simply don’t practice.

Also being on PUP gives you an excuse not to participate which defeats the whole purpose of a hold in which is to draw attention to your situation and put pressure on the team to give you what you want.  

It wouldn't be in Taylor's interest to use PUP as a hold out tool. It would show the Colts or other teams he's not full health. Using PUP than sitting out would only lower his value. He's digging himself a hole if this is his approach...

5 hours ago, Archer said:

I thought I’d pop over to TC during a long lunch hour today, but I looked it up and it’s 887 miles for me…so, I suppose I’ll have to rely on Chloe’s excellent reporting (et al.).

Well that's under a 1000.  What's the issue?

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Kenny Moore was at OTA and minicamp, but didn't practice. There's no PUP designation during the offseason program. When he reported for training camp, he participated fully. Very different situation.

I don't know why we would just ignore the fact that a week ago, RBs reportedly discussed using injuries as a way to limit their participation in practices. JT wants a new contract. He had ankle surgery in January. We were told he's healed up. Now he's on PUP. Drawing a connection between these things is not unreasonable.

JT has not learned that one of the best ways to earn a fat paycheck (in addition to actually being good, which he is), is to ingratiate yourself with the owner. And when the owner was on one of the most popular sports shows in the country just a week ago saying JT is healed up and ready to go... maybe faking not being ready and undermining the owner is not the best way to go in this situation. IF he is actually 'faking' it. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Archer said:

Well, I’m jealous.  I always wanted to go to TC, and I used to live a couple of hours away in Kentucky.  But now it seems like it’ll have to be a special trip out there with hotel stays and side trips to visit my old Kentucky friends.  It’ll be a major undertaking if it ever actually happens…

Where in Kentucky?  I can hit a log wedge to KY from my back porch.  The border where I live is actually usually on the north side of the water unless the river is in total winter flood. 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

JT has not learned that one of the best ways to earn a fat paycheck (in addition to actually being good, which he is), is to ingratiate yourself with the owner. And when the owner was on one of the most popular sports shows in the country just a week ago saying JT is healed up and ready to go... maybe faking not being ready and undermining the owner is not the best way to go in this situation. IF he is actually 'faking' it. 

Let's see how it goes. He's on PUP so I believe he doesn't have to do any media, but if I were him, and the PUP designation was legit, I'd probably do a five minute session to put the rumors to bed.

Ultimately I don't know if the ploy and posturing would affect the way the negotiations go. I think he wants to use his platform -- which probably isn't that big, but he's still relevant on this issue -- to make a point. And that point isn't made until it gets uncomfortable for a few people, so I'd think at least a few days, maybe some more questions from the media about his timetable, etc. Either way, I think it's unlikely he gets a new deal anytime soon, based on Ballard's comments yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

A buddy of mine is a diehard Eagles fan and goes to a lot of games/TC. If he asked me to go with him I probably would, but that’s the only way I’d do it. 

Just sneak in a flask and you are golden. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pinter is probably the only one I feel good about if Kelly gets hurt. But that guy from Alabama could be a surprise. 

Funny, in the off-season I pretty much wrote Pinter off.  He proved to me that he didn’t have the sand in his pants to play OG, and do we really want a center-only back-up who can’t get nasty and push people around in the run game?  But, after seeing that Ballard is still giving him public love, I’m guessing he’s still very much in favor.  I always liked him as a center…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Let's see how it goes. He's on PUP so I believe he doesn't have to do any media, but if I were him, and the PUP designation was legit, I'd probably do a five minute session to put the rumors to bed.

Ultimately I don't know if the ploy and posturing would affect the way the negotiations go. I think he wants to use his platform -- which probably isn't that big, but he's still relevant on this issue -- to make a point. And that point isn't made until it gets uncomfortable for a few people, so I'd think at least a few days, maybe some more questions from the media about his timetable, etc. Either way, I think it's unlikely he gets a new deal anytime soon, based on Ballard's comments yesterday.

I don’t know this for certain, but I’d guess that if Taylor were to publicly admit he’s not really hurt and that the Colts are using the PUP in his personal situation, I think the Colts would be in big trouble with the NFL.   I’d think the league would seriously frown on that.   Just a guess on my part. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know this for certain, but I’d guess that if Taylor were to publicly admit he’s not really hurt and that the Colts are using the PUP in his personal situation, I think the Colts would be in big trouble with the NFL.   I’d think the league would seriously frown on that.   Just a guess on my part. 

To go on to the PUP, players have to have medical proof. They are talking about it right now in Sirus XM

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

To go on to the PUP, players have to have medical proof. They are talking about it right now in Sirus XM

He had ankle surgery. There's your proof. The problem is, no one was talking about it like it was gonna be a problem coming training camp. There lies the problem.

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That's good.   So the Colts have a team doctor who will swear JT is not quite ready no matter what Irsay and Ballard have said this past month.   

But Supe is floating the idea that JT might publicly admit he’s fine and they’re just doing this to get him out if the spotlight for a few days or a week.   He’d be exhibit one that the Colts were lying and pulling off a stunt. 

All I’m suggesting is that Superman’s idea of JT coming clean to calm down jittery fans and reassure then he’s fine is probably not a workable idea….  

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So the Colts have a team doctor who will swear JT is not quite ready no matter what Irsay and Ballard have said this past month.   

Not hard to do.  

Doc: OK Jonathon. Let's take that sock and croc off and have a look see.

JT takes off sock and croc.  Doc manipulates the foot and ankle.

Doc:  So how does that feel?

JT:  A Bit tender, a little tight.

Doc does a couple other manipulations. 

Doc: OK how about that?

JT: Same.

Doc:  Well the scans look good but only you know how you feel.  Do you feel 100% ready to go ?

JT:  I don't think so 

Doc says a whole bunch of Latin feces into a recording device very rapidly and ends in English "not ready to practice or play."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Kenny Moore was at OTA and minicamp, but didn't practice. There's no PUP designation during the offseason program. When he reported for training camp, he participated fully. Very different situation.

I don't know why we would just ignore the fact that a week ago, RBs reportedly discussed using injuries as a way to limit their participation in practices. JT wants a new contract. He had ankle surgery in January. We were told he's healed up. Now he's on PUP. Drawing a connection between these things is not unreasonable.

I am not ignoring anything I am listening to what the head coach said rather than creating a conspiracy theory that JT or his agent hasn’t said he is doing, and yes I know JT isn’t speaking to the media but he has this thing called social media where players make stuff like this known.  

You are smart enough to know players who have had surgery in the off-season often start camp on PUP even if they should be good to go because teams are over cautious, especially with a guy like Taylor.  

If JT was holding in then he would make it known, which to this point him or his agent haven’t.  Other wise there is no point to it.  The idea of a hold in is to put pressure on the team to give you what you want.  That doesn’t make it work it you don’t make people outside the team know what you are doing.  The national media is begging for a story about a NFL running back holding in or out.  If Taylor was doing that someone would have likely dug that up by now by talking to Taylor’s agent.

There is also the fact you need a doctor to sign off on going on PUP.  With what’s going on lately with NFL doctors that doctor would be a fool to lie.  There is also the fact there is no need for Taylor to go on PUP to hold in.  As I explained above it would actually be counter productive if he was truly holding in.

is it possible it could end up being a hold in?  Yes.  However it’s also possible that the team is being over cautious with him and making sure he’s 100% before they turn him loose which is what they are saying.  Thats what the past two days actions support.  Until that changes or Taylor or someone from his camp makes it known he’s holding in I don’t think anyone can say for fact (which is why no one in the media is reporting that) that’s what’s going on and I think it’s unwise to just to dismiss what the Colts coach said because it’s not an exciting story.  Even if you do that it’s hardly a fact he’s holding in like some are claiming.  

Either way until he starts missing real games I am not going to be that concerned or feel the need to speculate about everything that happens all pre-season with Taylor.  So I’ll make this my last word on it for now.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

JT can sit on the PUP, the bench or at home watching Netflix until the season begins for all I care. Rbs rarely get any action until the regular season. He's not practicing, he's not getting hurt. See u game one JT and enjoy your time  off.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's good.   So the Colts have a team doctor who will swear JT is not quite ready no matter what Irsay and Ballard have said this past month.   

But Supe is floating the idea that JT might publicly admit he’s fine and they’re just doing this to get him out if the spotlight for a few days or a week.   He’d be exhibit one that the Colts were lying and pulling off a stunt. 

All I’m suggesting is that Superman’s idea of JT coming clean to calm down jittery fans and reassure then he’s fine is probably not a workable idea….  

JT is also playing with fire if he does do a vanishing act; he could be the next Wally Pipp. Many stories out there of unheralded backs taking away jobs.

39 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Not hard to do.  

Doc:  Well the scans look good but only you know how you feel.  Do you feel 100% ready to go ?

Doc says a whole bunch of Latin feces into a recording device very rapidly and ends in English "not ready to practice or play."

I think going on PUP is more involved than that.  Leonard isn't on PUP for example 

1 minute ago, IinD said:

So pretty clear Minshew is better since he's running with the 1's huh??

:peek:

Better now..

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think going on PUP is more involved than that.  Leonard isn't on PUP for example 

Better now..

I don’t know what it takes to be put on pup, but i do know that a patient’s responses are the lions share of the diagnosis post op when determining what is prudent for recovery. That’s what I was referring to.  Not pup requirements.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don’t know what it takes to be put on pup, but i do know that a patient’s responses are the lions share of the diagnosis post op when determining what is prudent for recovery. That’s what I was referring to.  Not pup requirements.

Holding him out of practices for an uncomfortable pain is one thing.   Putting him on PUP is another

The QB group is right where most of us thought it would be. Minshew leading the 1s for the time being. The staff will continue to be patient as Richardson progresses. I imagine Steichen will work on creating packages for Anthony to continue boosting confidence. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

No Ju Brent’s is discouraging he needs to be getting as many reps as possible.

That cb competition will be fun.  I’ve had Rush and Flowers as outside starters for Game one since the draft, but there are lots of possibilities…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Not hard to do.  

This seems exactly right. The doc's analysis has to put focus on what the athlete says he's feeling.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Not hard to do.  

Huh?    

What was the point of this?    

I wasn’t disputing the idea that the Colts team doctor would say JT needs to be in the PUP even though Ballard and Irsay have stated JT is ready.    I wasn’t disputing that at all.    I think you’ve completely misunderstood my post.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

JT is also playing with fire if he does do a vanishing act; he could be the next Wally Pipp. Many stories out there of unheralded backs taking away jobs.

What are you talking about?   

The PUP move was made by the Colts, not Taylor.   JT isn’t playing with fire.   He still has another year left on his rookie contract.   He’s not going anywhere.    There isn’t even another RB on the roster that can take his place.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The PUP move was made by the Colts, not Taylor.   JT isn’t playing with fire.   He still has another year left on his rookie contract.   He’s not going anywhere.    There isn’t even another RB on the roster that can take his place.  

Not at his level, but Moss is no slouch. 

He did average over 5 yd/carry his last three games.  So the cupboard isn’t completely bare.  

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Holding him out of practices for an uncomfortable pain is one thing.   Putting him on PUP is another

Is it?  I just PUP rules for a while and it simply means that a player is not cleared by a doctor practice or play as far as I can see.

What do you know that is different?

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I meant if he voluntarily sat out practice and preseason.