Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you rather

Bbswatching

Would you rather have a mediocre season.  But not have a shot at Harrison JR.  Or have a bad year.  Only win a couple games.  Get a high draft pick.  Be able draft Harrison Jr.  and also build more with the high picks.  

Personally I would rather take 1 more year.  Build up the team more.  Plus adding Jr would make this receiving squad amazing.  And then start competing.  

I would rather see that our Coaching staff can develop people and we got right at QB..

If we win 1 game or 7 it really does not matter this year.

For sure, fan speaking now, I hope we completely overdelivery like Luck 1st year, but thats hope.

• Like 2

Mediocre year, I don’t see us drafting a WR in the first round next year. Im hoping Pierce takes a step forward in development and Pittman shows that with a consistent passer he can be a solid number one and maybe Downs becomes a solid slot. Even If we had the opportunity at Harrison wouldn’t be surprised that we trade down to a WR needy team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bbswatching said:

Would you rather have a mediocre season.  But not have a shot at Harrison JR.  Or have a bad year.  Only win a couple games.  Get a high draft pick.  Be able draft Harrison Jr.  and also build more with the high picks.  

Personally I would rather take 1 more year.  Build up the team more.  Plus adding Jr would make this receiving squad amazing.  And then start competing.  

If Richardson progresses the same in the bad and mediocre year, I'd rather have the bad year as long as Ballard isn't fired. We know what he can do in the draft, and if our QB position is solved, I have a lot more confidence we could contend with this years draft and another one in the top 5 as our core for the future. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Mediocre year, I don’t see us drafting a WR in the first round next year. Im hoping Pierce takes a step forward in development and Pittman shows that with a consistent passer he can be a solid number one and maybe Downs becomes a solid slot. Even If we had the opportunity at Harrison wouldn’t be surprised that we trade down to a WR needy team.

Yeah, same, as much as I would love to get MHJr, just don't see it line up, unless we were to move on from Pittman.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah, same, as much as I would love to get MHJr, just don't see it line up, unless we were to move on from Pittman.

There is also no guarantee MHJr will have a great year.  He will have a new quarterback throwing to him.  Maybe he slips a little in the draft.  I would love for the stars to align but I want us to win and improve first and foremost.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There is also no guarantee MHJr will have a great year.  He will have a new quarterback throwing to him.  Maybe he slips a little in the draft.  I would love for the stars to align but I want us to win and improve first and foremost.

I think MHJr will be just fine. Elite talent, elite lineage.

Ohio State will have another QB, it's like an assembly line.

5 hours ago, Bbswatching said:

I’d just like to be competive. Or show flashes of. If we suck record wise and end up with another top 5, I’m good with it. If we make the playoffs and lose first round, I’m good with it in the short term but I think a top 5 pick helps more long run. That said, I do NOT think we should tank or half * play. I wanna see inspirational football

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, indykmj said:

Seems like the odds of Ballard drafting ANY WR in the top-5 are slim and

none. And slim has probably long since left town.

I think it’ll depend. Many said he wouldn’t draft a QB at 3…

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I think it’ll depend. Many said he wouldn’t draft a QB at 3…

And he didn't. He drafted a QB at 4... :peek:

I think if we're drafting somewhere in the top five again, I would almost guarantee that Ballard will turn that into multiple picks in the first two, or three, rounds.

He kinda painted himself into a corner in having to draft a QB that high this year. He won't have to do that next draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Pelt said:

And he didn't. He drafted a QB at 4... :peek:

I think if we're drafting somewhere in the top five again, I would almost guarantee that Ballard will turn that into multiple picks in the first two, or three, rounds.

He kinda painted himself into a corner in having to draft a QB that high this year. He won't have to do that next draft.

Lol thanks 

• Like 1

I don’t care much about the record. It’s all about Richardson’s development this season for me. I’d rather be 3-14 with Richardson showing progress and ability than 9-8 with Richardson sucking and showing no progress over the season. 

I’d like 88jr. though, but we’ll likely only draft a WR 1st round if Pittman is on his way out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the playoffs are not in the stars then I'll say as bad a record as possible, as long as the bad record is no reflection on AR5 and his progression. 

I think either the Colts or Texans wins the division so I seriously doubt the colts earn the #1 or #2 Overall pick.....but if they did they would be in position to get back a Bounty of picks & players in return for the right to Draft Caleb Williams/Drake Maye.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, w87r said:

I would rather have a good season. That will most likely mean Richardson is progressing into what we all hope he can. That's the most important thing on the team right now.

I disagree with that thought,  I think Minshew starts the season and won't get pulled until it is looking like the team won't make the playoffs.  I think a "good season" would mean Minshews plays well and AR doesn't see the field much.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree with that thought,  I think Minshew starts the season and won't get pulled until it is looking like the team won't make the playoffs.  I think a "good season" would mean Minshews plays well and AR doesn't see the field much.

I think Minshew starts but unless we’re division leading by week 6, I think AR is in control if not sooner

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Myles said:

Respect your opinion, but that would be the worst thing, imo.

Richardson needs reps and a lot of them. His lack of college reps makes it that more essential. The guy needs to play football, and learn on the job. 

If he sits out most of this year, that will mean he has had essentially 1yr of playing meaningful snaps in the last 4yrs. It's not like a Mahomes scenario, Mahomes had 3 years of college experience before he watched for a season.

Experience is essential. Richardson needs to play. I know Irsay feels that way as well so I expect him to play sooner than later 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Respect your opinion, but that would be the worst thing, imo.

Richardson needs reps and a lot of them. His lack of college reps makes it that more essential. The guy needs to play football, and learn on the job. 

If he sits out most of this year, that will mean he has had essentially 1yr of playing meaningful snaps in the last 4yrs. It's not like a Mahomes scenario, Mahomes had 3 years of college experience before he watched for a season.

Experience is essential. Richardson needs to play. I know Irsay feels that way as well so I expect him to play sooner than later 

I was thinking the same thing but I also think they start the season with Minshew at QB1. At least for game 1

• Like 1

It really depends on whether or not the trajectory of this team has changed with the RIchardson pick. For a team on an upward trajectory you want to see us going from bad to mediocre. That means we are improving.

However for a team thats on a downward trajectory mediocre is the absolute worst place to be, not good enough to make playoffs and not bad enough for high draft picks.

Obviously it will be impossible to tell the trajectory of this team till we know if Richardson is for real or not.

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

I was thinking the same thing but I also think they start the season with Minshew at QB1. At least for game 1

Yeah, Minshew probably has a good chance to play the first 2-4 games. Let Richardson observe how to get prepared for game day and how to approach it, watch a little full speed action.

• Like 2

AR15 would need to make a monumental leap to be your starter this year. He was at best a mediocre college QB in the few games he started. I think it is wishful thinking he will contribute that much this year. Not slamming him because he is a Colt, just giving my honest opinion after watching every game he played as a Gator.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yes, I think Minshew starts.   If he plays well and they win the first game, he will start game 2.   He will have to play poorly for them to pull him for AR.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If AR looks good this summer and in pre-season, I would be surprised if he wasn't the starter on opening day. 9 times out of 10, when a QB gets drafted in the top 5 he starts from day 1.

But AR is different, from all that I read.

How many QB's have been selected in the top 5 with only 13(?) starts in their college career?  I think he's more likely that 10th guy, not the other 9.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

How many QB's have been selected in the top 5 with only 13(?) starts in their college career?  I think he's more likely that 10th guy, not the other 9.

Depends on how the summer goes. AR is also different as in, there has never been a more athletic QB in the history of College football that came out of the draft. Some act like AR can't pass at all, he had some good passing games in college. Against Tennessee he tore it up in the air and Tennessee was one of the best teams out there at the time. This is also who Shane wanted so we will see how it plays out. Unless he just looks bad over the summer and in pre-season, I see no reason not to start him. Nobody is expecting us to do anything anyway so a year as a starter under his belt should help his play going into 2024.

17 hours ago, Bbswatching said:

I’d like the best of both worlds.    I’d like a season where the Colts win perhaps 6-7 games while still being competitive in the 10-11 losses.  I’d like a top-10 pick that might be closer to 5 than 10.

2024 is shaping up to be a great draft.  So I’d like as many good bites at the Apple as possible.  

19 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

You are correct.  Like Ballard said in the presser after they drafted him they drafted him for what he can be not what he is.  People need to pump the breaks on him a bit.  This isn’t Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck who is NFL ready day one.  If he doesn’t start day one it’s not the end of the world.  It would be nice if he makes enough progress that the Colts feel the best thing for his development is for him to play day one but if it’s not things will be okay.  People are going to need to wait to judge Richardson until year three or so and not freak out if he’s behind the other rookies this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You are correct.  Like Ballard said in the presser after they drafted him they drafted him for what he can be not what he is.  People need to pump the breaks on him a bit.  This isn’t Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck who is NFL ready day one.  If he doesn’t start day one it’s not the end of the world.  It would be nice if he makes enough progress that the Colts feel the best thing for his development is for him to play day one but if it’s not things will be okay.  People are going to need to wait to judge Richardson until year three or so and not freak out if he’s behind the other rookies this year.

Good points, but I think he should start day 1 unless he just looks bad in the summer and pre-season. Real game time REPS will toughen him up and give him experience going into year 2. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good points, but I think he should start day 1 unless he just looks bad in the summer and pre-season. Real game time REPS will toughen him up and give him experience going into year 2. 

I have no clue if he should or not because I don’t get to watch him or know enough about NFL QB development to know if starting him day one or not will do more harm than good.  NFL reps are good if your fundamentals are good and it’s not going to leave you shell shocked like it did for Carr with the Texans.  If it’s going to destroy his confidence or reinforce bad habits then it can cause more harm than good.  That’s why I’ll be fine with with whatever the Colts coaches decide.  

Would I like to see him start day one?  Of course.  What fan wouldn’t?  Still I am willing to wait a little bit if it’s in the best long term interest of the franchise.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I have no clue if he should or not because I don’t get to watch him or know enough about NFL QB development to know if starting him day one or not will do more harm than good.  NFL reps are good if your fundamentals are good and it’s not going to leave you shell shocked like it did for Carr with the Texans.  If it’s going to destroy his confidence or reinforce bad habits then it can cause more harm than good.  That’s why I’ll be fine with with whatever the Colts coaches decide.  

Would I like to see him start day one?  Of course.  What fan wouldn’t?  Still I am willing to wait a little bit if it’s in the best long term interest of the franchise.

Carr was a sad story. Great talent but was a statue back there. I don't know anything any of us in here know that is why I said I want to see he how plays in the summer and in pre-season. If he looks like he is ready, I just why wait. If he doesn't, we play Mustache lol. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Carr was a sad story. Great talent but was a statue back there. I don't know anything any of us in here know that is why I said I want to see how plays in the summer and in pre-season. If he looks like he is ready, I just why wait. If he doesn't, we play Mustache lol. 

Yeah none of us know enough about NFL QB development to say if we know for a fact when he should play.  That’s why I am just going to roll with what the coaches decide but as a fan of course I want to see him play sooner than later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah none of us know enough about NFL QB development to say if we know for a fact when he should play.  That’s why I am just going to roll with what the coaches decide but as a fan of course I want to see him play sooner than later.

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just thinking if he looks good in camp and in pre-season, lets play him. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Carr was a sad story. Great talent but was a statue back there. I don't know anything any of us in here know that is why I said I want to see he how plays in the summer and in pre-season. If he looks like he is ready, I just why wait. If he doesn't, we play Mustache lol. 

Fu-Minshew

My preference is for the team to show progress on a weekly basis.

Doing so - the wins & losses will take care of themselves - and - just like every other year - we'll see what draft pick we have - when the 2023 season is said and done.

Progress is measured in "baby steps".

I can live with "baby steps" - as long as forward progress is being made.

• Like 1