Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

There seems to be a lot of optimism among the fans.

As a fan all you can ask for is hope and AR provides that 

if he spits the bit we start the cycle over again 

and since I’ve been a fan from 1968 you get used to the ebbs and flow 

and yes every Sunday I scream rant and rave as necessary lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Why is Allen allowed to have excuses for low percentages in college but not Richardson?

You are assuming that I said Allen is fixed... No he is not. He will always have accuracy issues. Did the Bills design an offense to fit his skillset? Yes... Did his completion percentage improve because of the system he is in? Yes. 

Drew Brees was very accurate. It was not anything he learned...  He learned to improve on the traits he already had, and that made him great. He was born with the traits. 

Anthony Richardson does not have to be "Drew Bress" accurate. And he will never be. That is okay. The Colts can build an offense around him to be successful too. 

For anyone to pretend that Anthony Richardson is an accurate passer... That's just not true. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

This is just one of many threads back then... It was chaos... 

I think the majority of the dislikes on these posts of yours  was the arrogance of you claiming how you Irsay and how you can read his mind. Also statements like: " I just happen to be the one, who was right on just about everything. " tends to turn a few people off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

And specific to accuracy, he said 'accuracy is important, you have to be able to stand in the pocket on 3rd and 8 and make the play.' But then he was asked if you can teach accuracy, and he said, enthusiastically 'yes I think you can, you can help accuracy with mechanics, and you can help with scheme and simplify the offense to help the QB.' Again, shades of grey, and I think in those comments there's plenty of openness to a player who needs some development. 

This makes my point in other discussions.

But then he was asked if you can teach accuracy, and he said, enthusiastically 'yes I think you can, "you can help accuracy with mechanics, and you can help with scheme and simplify the offense to help the QB"

You can "help" accuracy with mechanics.... That's the same thing I have been saying.... And every other offensive minded coach I have ever worked with or spoken to has said... 

You can improve a quarterbacks accuracy with mechanics, but you can't cure the problem. Just like you cannot make some who is 5'10" suddenly become 6'4".

Shane knows that Anthony Richardson has accuracy issues. We all do, even if some are in denial about it. 

Now backup to when Steichen said that a quarterback must be accurate... That was one of his top 2 traits a quarterback must have. 

Call it misleading, lying, untruthful, less than candid... Pick the verbiage, but it is all the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I think the majority of the dislikes on these posts of yours  was the arrogance of you claiming how you Irsay and how you can read his mind. Also statements like: " I just happen to be the one, who was right on just about everything. " tends to turn a few people off.

I don't really care. If you see how much heat I take just making people think logically about anything on this board... Trust me... It is not worth it. Which is why I don't spend too much time on this board anymore. I bounce in and out every few months. 

Hate me for being right a lot... That's not about me. 

36 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

We need young WRs to build chemistry with Richardson for the future, so maybe. But important that the team is not being build to peak to early before Richardson is ready, so Hopkins doesn’t make sense to me. 

I don't really think we're taking a WR until next year. I think they want to give our guys a chance.

22 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

You are assuming that I said Allen is fixed... No he is not. He will always have accuracy issues. Did the Bills design an offense to fit his skillset? Yes... Did his completion percentage improve because of the system he is in? Yes. 

Drew Brees was very accurate. It was not anything he learned...  He learned to improve on the traits he already had, and that made him great. He was born with the traits. 

Anthony Richardson does not have to be "Drew Bress" accurate. And he will never be. That is okay. The Colts can build an offense around him to be successful too. 

For anyone to pretend that Anthony Richardson is an accurate passer... That's just not true. 

I'm getting the impression that you are upset that the Colts drafted Richardson, as you feel he is not accurate enough.

Do I have it right?

Many years ago you shared a website that I referred to often for more information about prospects. I liked it a lot (Football Dungeon). That site is no longer active but I wonder where it would have ranked Richardson. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don't really care. If you see how much heat I take just making people think logically about anything on this board... Trust me... It is not worth it. Which is why I don't spend too much time on this board anymore. I bounce in and out every few months. 

Hate me for being right a lot... That's not about me. 

It's not about being right, it's the narcissistic attitude you display in your posts. I do agree with most of what you say but not your delivery.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I feel like I'm talking with Skip Bayless... Skip? Is that you? 

:D

I don't know Blue... As a teacher I dislike absolutes. Saying someone can never learn something, or is incapable of doing something just bothers me. 

Some things we can't control: physical things like height comes to mind. 

But I often hear my students say they'll never be good at X,Y,Z because of things that they CAN control. For example: last semester a student in my music appreciation class claimed that they would never be good at playing guitar because they don't have the talent for it. They also said their hands were too small. 

It is now almost May, and I have them playing the big 3 power chords and growing in confidence to their abilities. 

I view accuracy falling into that category. The human mind is a beautiful thing, and if a person has the will to do it, they will!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

...You can "help" accuracy with mechanics...

At least you're admitting accuracy is not just something you're born with. Making progress.  Guess that is your way of admitting I was right ;)

Now would you like to explain how you can't IMPROVE your accuracy but you can HELP your accuracy? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Do you need to become MJ to go from 53 percent to 60 percent completion percentage?  I'd have to say probably not.

Especially when your receivers dropped a ton of balls.  I get what Blue said about completion percentage doesn't tell you 

everything.  And I think that's especially true in a vertical offense where you're going to be making several deep shots.  However I don't think half of you would be here making these arguments if his completion percentage were 60 ish percent. 

In Steichen’s “vertical” offense, Hurts threw 20+ yards downfield on 13.4% of the time, which led the NFL. 

The 18-20 short passes he will be expected to throw per game far outweigh the 3-4 deep passes he will be asked to do. 

On paper, he’s a risk in any NFL offensive scheme. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm not super interested in defending Steichen here. I think your characterization of him as a liar is harsh, but it doesn't offend me, I just don't agree with it.

I think there's shades of grey here. If I'm shopping for a new car, the most important consideration for me might be fuel efficiency. But that doesn't mean the cumulative value of several other considerations can't potentially outweigh the importance of fuel efficiency. I might also think that my way of driving and my intended use of the vehicle can stretch the fuel efficiency further than what's typical.

So in this case, while Steichen said accuracy is very important to him, he didn't say 'I don't want a QB with accuracy issues.' And he believes (IMO, very clearly) that his plan for Richardson will lead to improved accuracy, which is obviously necessary if Richardson is going to have success. In fact, something Steichen said at the Combine was 'you have to see the future, it's tough, but you have to see what these guys can become in the future.' Then he said 'you have to build the offense around the QB, adapt to what he does well.'

And specific to accuracy, he said 'accuracy is important, you have to be able to stand in the pocket on 3rd and 8 and make the play.' But then he was asked if you can teach accuracy, and he said, enthusiastically 'yes I think you can, you can help accuracy with mechanics, and you can help with scheme and simplify the offense to help the QB.' Again, shades of grey, and I think in those comments there's plenty of openness to a player who needs some development. 

Bottom line is I don't think picking Richardson means Steichen was not being truthful about the importance of accuracy. And that's not because I'm so dedicated to defending Steichen's honor. I'm taking issue with him in other ways already, so don't reduce every disagreement down to someone not being open to anything that's critical of the HC. But I think you're overly rigid in your interpretation on this one.

Very well said.

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm getting the impression that you are upset that the Colts drafted Richardson, as you feel he is not accurate enough.

Do I have it right?

Many years ago you shared a website that I referred to often for more information about prospects. I liked it a lot (Football Dungeon). That site is no longer active but I wonder where it would have ranked Richardson. 

I like Richardson. I had him ranked as my 3rd quarterback in this draft. He has the potential to end up as the best quarterback in this draft. Young is the most polished. Stroud is a safe pick. And Richardson is the biggest boom or bust quarterback. There is something off about Levis. He gives me the Jeff George vibes. That is what I told everyone on this board too. 

Now many people are telling me that Levis gives them the Jeff George vibes. As if I’m not the one who originally stated that along with my concerns about Levis’s personality. 

Bottom line is I said something about the Colts that people don’t want to hear. And therefore, here we are. I am not budging, because I am right. 

As far as how good Anthony Richardson can become. We don’t know. We never know with players like him. 

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

From a national media perspective, I get the frustration.  The Colts reputation took a serious beating.  The 22 season was beyond awful and Colts looked like a serious dumpster fire.  There was a lot of very superficial coverage of our favorite team.   I didn’t like plenty of the coverage.  But I viewed it as the Colts and Irsay brought it on themselves.   It sucks to have to hunker down and take the beating we took.  It goes back to the famous Parcells quite: You are what your record says you are.  And we were 4-12-1.   

But there are posters here who think the disaster of 22 proves every negative thought they’ve ever had about Ballard and Reich and Irsay have been right.   They’ve literally posted as much.   But 22 was so terrible those posters get their moment in the sun even if I think they’re wrong.   My pushback this year has been less than any of my 11 years here. 

It’s cool you track your level of pushback! A lot of us who criticize Ballard are looking at his body of work over six years, not just last season. You can’t seem to comprehend that years of decisions led to last year’s fall off the cliff. And there’s no “moment in the sun” for posters who don’t like Ballard — that’s just you trying to paint posters as overly negative. You’re the one trying to gloss over a sub .500 career, and yes I understand in your world his first year doesn’t count lol. 

• Thanks 1

Living in Florida, I've had a chance to watch AR play as well as speak following games and each time, I like him more.  This presser today has made me a fan and supporter.  Humble young man with incredible talent.  His comments about watching Tom Brady and admiring the fact that Brady wanted to get better each day shows what a competitor and perfectionist he is.  Cannot wait to see what he does in Steichen's offense.  

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He came across really well in that press conference. Hard to believe he is not even 21 yet.

Steichen told him he envisions a similar offense to what eagles have with Hurts.

I tuned in but it was already over.

I saw him holding his jersey up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Are Colts fans hoping that a WR is drafted?

Any interest in trading for Hopkins?

Sure, I'll take Jalin Hyatt. 

I'll also take any other position at this point, just develop young players and get the talent level up. Seems there's a lot of talent at corner and OL in this part of the draft.

• Like 2