Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Actually he told AR before the draft that is he were available that he was the pick.  That's without knowing who would go 1-3.  

So it was their 1st choice 

To be fair,  I'm guessing he knew Young and Stroud would be gone.    That said I'm all in on the AR15 train.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Thanks. I do not mind it when people to disagree with me. I encourage that. Some really good discussions happen from people contributing honest thoughts to the conversation... It can occasionally get out of hand when people start making personal attacks... But I never worry about it. I have learned to not take the bait. Usually the moderators come in a clean it all up. 

Earlier in this thread I called Steichen a liar... It would have been more appropriate to just say he lied. He did lie, but that does not make him a liar. A liar is someone who repetitively lies... Although I think he blatantly and intentionally lied about the situation,  that is just my opinion. I hope it is a one time thing. If not then we will be blowing this entire team up in a couple of years... If Steichen has this very bad trait then the players will see it... You cannot hide these things in a locker room. It's like a melting pot in there. Either your true authenticity comes out, or they make one up for you... They never make one for you that's better. 

Ill bite, how did he lie

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug….   The media problems are large and complex.   My small rant couldn't begin to cover all the media’s problems and issues. 

The issue you raise is fair and valid.  The reasons are many and some are self inflicted.   So, caution, longer post ahead. 

Back in the day, when you and I were young, game shows and soap operas were cheap programming, very inexpensive.  Now?  Media companies have made so many deep and astounding cuts that news shows can be inexpensive these days.  Just sit an anchor at a desk and talk about todays headlines and interview todays news makers.  

Back when we were young, the news was NOT viewed as a place to make money.  You tried to win awards, honors, reputation and credibility for the network.  Many news lobbies would be filled with tons of beautiful gold statues.   But after Nixon/Watergate, Anchors and top reporters became Rock Stars.   Salaries went way up.   And big media companies suddenly demanded big ratings.   News had to turn a profit, and the bigger the better.   It didn’t used to be that way.   We used to cover news.   Now the news covers what they think is the most interesting in the hopes of attracting viewers and readers.   More important topics that might not be glamorous or exciting often don’t get covered, because ratings might go down.   

It’ll never happen, but I’d like to see media companies have to spend more to cover the real news.  Make it part of the renewal of their FCC license to broadcast which is annual.  News must NOT make a profit.  It must be revenue neutral and it must inform a free society about the world we all live in.   If a company makes more money, they have to spend more to cover the world.  Call it the cost of doing business.  The entertainment side is where big networks can and should make money, their profit. 

Apologies for getting on my soap box.  I thought you made an interesting observation and I wanted to respond more fully to address your points which I think are fair. 

A lot of daytime programming is formatted with multiple talking heads.  They are debate shows.  Steven A vs Skip, back in the day.  Daytime and Primetime news and sports coverage shows are debate shows.

They feed into our natural bent towards taking sides...usually based on some simple basic thing...for which all of the debate verbiage just provides validation for opinions already formed.  We root for our team.  We root for our flag...partiotism...is not much different than rooting for our college Alma Mater or the professional teams that we grew up with.  Us vs them is a natural thing.

I'm convinced that the show producers, the people we never see, produce shows designed to exactly tap into this instinct, and they go through that strategy with the talking heads during production meetings...about which side what reality character is going to support this time.

None of it is about reporting the actual news.  There is only about 60 minutes each day devoted to that . JMO.

51 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I have not moved the goal post an inch. 

I am saying the same thing. Talking to many folks, but saying the same thing. 

Let's add one more person to the mix...

Steichen said he highly values accuracy. Do you think the Colts drafting Richardson is evidence that he doesn't highly value accuracy? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

To be fair,  I'm guessing he knew Young and Stroud would be gone.    That said I'm all in on the AR15 train.  

Well clearly Levis isn’t as good as some thought, he’s sitting out of the first round now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Except this is like drafting a player who shoot 30% from the floor and hoping he becomes MJ. 

It is all about tempered expectations. If you are going to ask Jalen Hurts, before A J Brown, to do what he did last year, chances are he won't. You need the right supporting cast that can play a variety of roles within the same positions to be able to attack other teams in multiple ways to pull off a successful offense for AR. AR doesn't have to be Luck, AR just has to be AR, and Steichen should adapt fast enough to get the most out of him, which is why he was brought here.

• Like 2

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Thanks. I do not mind it when people to disagree with me. I encourage that. Some really good discussions happen from people contributing honest thoughts to the conversation... It can occasionally get out of hand when people start making personal attacks... But I never worry about it. I have learned to not take the bait. Usually the moderators come in a clean it all up. 

Earlier in this thread I called Steichen a liar... It would have been more appropriate to just say he lied. He did lie, but that does not make him a liar. A liar is someone who repetitively lies... Although I think he blatantly and intentionally lied about the situation,  that is just my opinion. I hope it is a one time thing. If not then we will be blowing this entire team up in a couple of years... If Steichen has this very bad trait then the players will see it... You cannot hide these things in a locker room. It's like a melting pot in there. Either your true authenticity comes out, or they make one up for you... They never make one for you that's better. 

I think that's the key thing here. It doesn't matter as much how he interacts with the media. It's how he is working with the men in the locker room. From all accounts I've heard, read, and seen from previous players and staff from the Chargers and Eagles, Shane is as real as it gets. The players love him, respect him and learn from him. 

If he was a pathological liar, I don't think he'd be able to hide it for this long without someone noticing and calling him out (ex-players).  

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Help me out will ya...I got stripped of the few I had. Ha

They are gone now again! I don't know how it works... I thought I might have gotten 500 new ones, but after I gave a few it again says I'm over the limit for the day :D 

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Oh we know.   You let us know all the time how brilliant you are. 

It is unfortunate that you see it that way. I wonder how much better it would be if you just looked at it as though... Hey this guy has a different and unique perspective... I am going to guess that others would see how welcomed original thoughts are... And we would see more folks on here share their own takes, instead of following the popular opinion. I think the discussion is better when people feel as though they can speak freely. I am just the type that doesn't ask permission to speak my mind. Not everyone is like that. The groupthink folks don't like that I do that. That is their problem. I am going to be me. 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

You can improve a completion %.  I keep saying Luck, Burrow and also Levis were under 60% their first year starting.

Luck even had pro bowl years in the nfl throwing under 60%.  A 20 years olds % isnt set in stone forever, they can get better and lots of nfl pros did it

I have a solution to the accuracy issue. 

if he is completing 50% of his passes, just have him throw twice as many times that would equal 100%.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well clearly Levis isn’t as good as some thought, he’s sitting out of the first round now

Levis cost himself  a ton of money by posting those shirtless bathroom selfies. To me that screams insecurity. Who knows though...he still might end up as the best QB in this year's class.

22 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I respect your opinion, but I don't agree.   I think our difference is in what is news and what is just information.

When you're constantly citing sources and it turns out to be dead wrong, you were just repeating information.  Like Ballard said, none of the "Levis to the Colts" came from him or inside the building.  People like Bowen and Chappell confirmed that.  Yet, people in the national media kept reporting it - as information.

Did their credibility suffer?  No, because no one really cares if they were wrong.  They never go back and tell us where their "sources" came from, or tell us if they continue to trust them.

Most of what we hear or read is opinion, not news.  

No one really cares?   Huh?   

If you read this website, people here cared about Frank getting fired, Saturday getting hired, the team collapsing.   The coaching search, the search for the new quarterback.  

And Ballard stressed the info didn’t come from HIM.  I think he knows every franchise has some leaks.  It’s human nature, especially with a bad year.   There are ways that info gets out.  Ballard knows this.   Nothing is 100 percent air tight.  

For example,  Saturday was a candidate for the HC job.   He contacted candidates to be on his staff.   Those people talk.  Agents for those people talk.  People that Ballard and his staff interview talk.  That’s how info gets out. 

I’ve twice now said my post was NOT about the draft and you’ve twice come back to say say…..   “Oh yeah, well what about the draft?”   

Someone here a few days ago showed a clip of Skip Baylee’s telling Merrill Hodge how wrong he was for thinking Johnny Manzel a future bust.  Skippy predicted greatness for JM.   We know how that turns out.   I wish there was more of that.  But Skip does an opinion show.   I don’t like him so I rarely watch.  If more people stopped watching, he’d be out if a job.  That’s how this works.   People shouldn’t get their sports news from Skip, he’s an opinion guy trying to entertain. 

Watch who you like.  Turn off who you don’t.   Blasting people who don’t get the draft right is a waste of time, because most everyone gets some part of the draft wrong.    Sources are not going to be revealed.   You either think the people you listen to are — on balance — more right than wrong, or you don’t.   If someone gets things mostly right, great.   If not, find someone else to follow, who you think is better. 

Just now, CR91 said:

I love how listening to the media backtrack on Levis by bringing up same things I've been saying FOR MONTHS! 

You know what? Kudos to you for sticking with it. Levis could still be successful for all we know, but in the end he wasn't the guy we were targeting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

How do you know how many likes you have left?

No idea... I'm just assuming(ballpark)... might be 200 and not 500... but there must be some number because I gave tons and tons of likes to people celebrating the pick in the this thread and at some point I ran out ... it says "You've exceeded your reactions limit for the day" or something of the sort. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Huh?

It seems like the site has a limit for the number of reactions you can give to people in a day. It has never happened to me before to run out of reactions, but today I did because I went on a "liking spree" after our pick :D 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ill bite, how did he lie

I have posted it a few times, but it makes sense as to why you haven't read it... It is buried in here...

A reporter asked Steichen what he values most in a quarterback. 

He answered that the quarterback must be accurate. 

Obviously he doesn't believe the quarterback has to be accurate. Anthony Richardson is one of the least accurate quarterbacks in this draft class... And I am not talking about completion rates.... I am talking about the ability to put a football in its intended place... 

This is not a knock on Anthony Richardson, because he has other traits off the charts. 

He also said the quarterback must be obsessed with football. I completely agree. I have never met or heard of a quarterback who wasn't obsessed becoming great. 

Steichen lied. I pointed it out, and a bunch of folks did not like it. They'll get over it. But the fact will remain that Steichen was not truthful about the situation. He did not have to lie. There was no reason to. It didn't help the Colts at all... I am just hoping it is not the beginning of a trend. 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

Steichen said he highly values accuracy. Do you think the Colts drafting Richardson is evidence that he doesn't highly value accuracy? 

Correct. 

Just looked up that Mahomes also threw 56% his first year in college too

Lol at you are born or not born with accuracy.  It can be coached up and AR is very young 

Its also ok if a coach lies, imagine being super worked up over a nothing burger like that

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Except this is like drafting a player who shoot 30% from the floor and hoping he becomes MJ. 

Oh it's a risk but they all are. Bryce Young is tiny. CJ Stroud turns into an unpalatable version of Jared Goff when the heat comes (and it will). Richardson's lack of experience and some poor technical pieces to his game are his issue.

They all have issues. We've had QBs in Indy who were well under 65% in comp percentage...they were fine. I'm not too worried about his numbers, they are what they are. I don't think they tell anything close to the full story on this particular player....just like Young's size doesnt indicate his NFL future.

4 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Just looked up that Mahomes also threw 56% his first year in college too

Lol at you are born or not born with accuracy.  It can be coached up and AR is very young 

Case in point.    When I was younger and had to pee.  I almost always miss the toilet and peed all over the place.   But as I have gotten more practice and older. I hardly ever pee on the floor or the wall or the toilet itself anymore.  I think my accuracy is up to almost 79% these days 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

It is unfortunate that you see it that way. I wonder how much better it would be if you just looked at it as though... Hey this guy has a different and unique perspective... I am going to guess that others would see how welcomed original thoughts are... And we would see more folks on here share their own takes, instead of following the popular opinion. I think the discussion is better when people feel as though they can speak freely. I am just the type that doesn't ask permission to speak my mind. Not everyone is like that. The groupthink folks don't like that I do that. That is their problem. I am going to be me. 

And that's totally fine.   I helped you dig up an old take you had not long ago.   However you like to come across like you are never wrong.    You would be the first.   You like to be the "I told you so" guy without posting your misses.   

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

Case in point.    When I was younger and had to pee.  I almost always miss the toilet and peed all over the place.   But as I have gotten more practice and older. I hardly ever pee on the floor or the wall or the toilet itself anymore.  I think my accuracy is up to almost 79% these days 

I assume the accuracy drops depending on how many Millers have been consumed? :P

59 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree 100%...

Somewhere along the way the media became all about entertainment and protecting its advertisers (both sides)... It is hard for the media to tell the truth about a company that invest millions in advertisements. Could even be contractual obligations... Or back-door handshakes. 

Unfortunately people still watch the news as though it's the same now as it was 30 years ago. 

As someone in the middle, I find alternative places to get my news. I can form my own opinions. I like to get the facts and then put the pieces of the puzzle together myself. 

You know me well enough... I am someone who does not ride the groupthink train. I like having my own opinion, even if it is not popular. 

To your last sentence everyone loves having their own opinion and most do not follow anyone else's thinking just to be doing it to be liked - I don't. Some people though just like to argue over stuff that isn't even that important and dwell on it to be different. It is common sense on certain topics when someone is right or wrong but when someone is wrong they won't stop and start looking bad. 

1 example I will throw out is, before I started chatting here and was on ESPN chat, there was this one guy that really believed Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Dan Marino because he won a SB and Marino never won 1. He didn't realize how dumb that was and he really believed what he was saying. He thought people were ganging up on him and that he was different. Fine be different but don't be a goofball about certain topics (not saying you are a goofball) but some are, yes anyone that thinks Dilfer was better than Marino is a complete Goof, sorry but true. He did that all-time with other obvious topics too and he always said "I am different, and it is my opinion". So be it but Trent could not carry Marino's jock strap and anyone that knows anything about football knows this. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one really cares?   Huh?   

If you read this website, people here cared about Frank getting fired, Saturday getting hired, the team collapsing.   The coaching search, the search for the new quarterback.  

And Ballard stressed the info didn’t come from HIM.  I think he knows every franchise has some leaks.  It’s human nature, especially with a bad year.   There are ways that info gets out.  Ballard knows this.   Nothing is 100 percent air tight.  

For example,  Saturday was a candidate for the HC job.   He contacted candidates to be on his staff.   Those people talk.  Agents for those people talk.  People that Ballard and his staff interview talk.  That’s how info gets out. 

I’ve twice now said my post was NOT about the draft and you’ve twice come back to say say…..   “Oh yeah, well what about the draft?”   

Someone here a few days ago showed a clip of Skip Baylee’s telling Merrill Hodge how wrong he was for thinking Johnny Manzel a future bust.  Skippy predicted greatness for JM.   We know how that turns out.   I wish there was more of that.  But Skip does an opinion show.   I don’t like him so I rarely watch.  If more people stopped watching, he’d be out if a job.  That’s how this works.   People shouldn’t get their sports news from Skip, he’s an opinion guy trying to entertain. 

Watch who you like.  Turn off who you don’t.   Blasting people who don’t get the draft right is a waste of time, because most everyone gets some part of the draft wrong.    Sources are not going to be revealed.   You either think the people you listen to are — on balance — more right than wrong, or you don’t.   If someone gets things mostly right, great.   If not, find someone else to follow, who you think is better. 

I was just using the draft talk since that's all we've heard lately.  To sum up my point, I don't think even the national media have concerns over credibility.  You stated it well in your other post - national news is looking for ratings.  Same for national news outlets.

When I said no one cares, if you read my post - I think that's accurate.  Unless they find out that a reporter is just plain making up stories, no one really cares if their source was wrong.  The new cycle just moves on to the next topic.  Yes, people are passionate about their team.  But no one is demanding retractions on stories that turn out to be wrong because a reporter listened to the wrong source.

Not sure who I was blasting, but I watch a lot of different shows.  And listen to different podcasts.  I happen to like Bowen, Chappell, and a few others.  They seem to be more accurate and have informative insight.

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

truth. 

No.   Stats say once you miss the cheerio in the toilet and pee in the fridge,  that ish can never be fixed.   

36 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is all about tempered expectations. If you are going to ask Jalen Hurts, before A J Brown, to do what he did last year, chances are he won't. You need the right supporting cast that can play a variety of roles within the same positions to be able to attack other teams in multiple ways to pull off a successful offense for AR. AR doesn't have to be Luck, AR just has to be AR, and Steichen should adapt fast enough to get the most out of him, which is why he was brought here.

Fast enough?

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.   AR is NOT a quick or simple fix.  It’s going to take time and patience.   And so far you’ve made repeated posts that show you literally don’t understand that.   You want results ASAP.    The kid needs experience.  He’s going to make mistakes.   Luck made tons of mistakes and he had tons of experience.  AR is going to be learning for a long time.  Doesn’t mean the Colts can’t win along the way.   But the fans need to be patient.  

How soon before some fan posts here…. “That’s it!   I’ve seen enough!   This kid will never be the great QB the Colts need!   I’m ready to move on!”.    This will happen sooner than you think.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

No idea... I'm just assuming(ballpark)... might be 200 and not 500... but there must be some number because I gave tons and tons of likes to people celebrating the pick in the this thread and at some point I ran out ... it says "You've exceeded your reactions limit for the day" or something of the sort. 

It seems like the site has a limit for the number of reactions you can give to people in a day. It has never happened to me before to run out of reactions, but today I did because I went on a "liking spree" after our pick :D 

Oh yea I’ve had that before not sure what the number is

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fast enough?

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.   AR is NOT a quick or simple fix.  It’s going to take time and patience.   And so far you’ve made repeated posts that show you literally don’t understand that.   You want results ASAP.    The kid needs experience.  He’s going to make mistakes.   Luck made tons of mistakes and he had tons of experience.  AR is going to be leading for a long time.  Doesn’t mean the Colts can’t win along the way.   But the fans need to be patient.  

How soon before some fan posts here…. “That’s it!   I’ve seen enough!   This kid will never be the great QB the Colts need!   I’m ready to move on!”.    This will happen sooner than you think.  

2 years is fast enough for a turnaround in the NFL, IMO. No, I am not expecting miracles in Year 1, just to be clear. :) 

This is not a Burrow or Luck level prospect.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fast enough?

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.   AR is NOT a quick or simple fix.  It’s going to take time and patience.   And so far you’ve made repeated posts that show you literally don’t understand that.   You want results ASAP.    The kid needs experience.  He’s going to make mistakes.   Luck made tons of mistakes and he had tons of experience.  AR is going to be leading for a long time.  Doesn’t mean the Colts can’t win along the way.   But the fans need to be patient.  

1st preseason game 

• Thanks 1

At my American Legion they have a sticker of Hanoi Jane in the urinals .  I never miss hitting that * 

We have one in the urinal at my work.   Tons of Vietnam vets work with me.   All getting ready to retire.     Good guys.

1st preseason game 

Too long if you ask me.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fast enough?

To the bolded: We'll already see that in the first season if he plays.

• Thanks 1