Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Leonard] Giants RB coach DeAndre Smith is leaving the team to join Shane Steichen with the Colts

stitches

• stitches changed the title to [Leonard] Giants RB coach DeAndre Smith is leaving the team to join Shane Steichen with the Colts
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Probably RB coach, but haven't seen anything official so far. 

Shouldn’t the OC have input on who he wants for any of his position coaches?   This feels odd tbh.  A running back coach before an OC and we don’t even know if Gus or Bubba are coming back.  We assume so but we really don’t know.  Not what I was expecting that’s for sure.

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Shouldn’t the OC have input on who he wants for any of his position coaches?   This feels odd tbh.  A running back coach before an OC and we don’t even know if Gus or Bubba are coming back.  We assume so but we really don’t know.  Not what I was expecting that’s for sure.

Could just be the first dominoe

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No doubt but it's still the cart before the horse for me.  The OC should have an opportunity to get his own guys.  IMO announcing that Gus and Bubba are staying shouldn't take this long.  

Possibly but it’s not unusual either. 

48 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No doubt but it's still the cart before the horse for me.  The OC should have an opportunity to get his own guys.  IMO announcing that Gus and Bubba are staying shouldn't take this long.  

I don't think that it's that big of a deal concerning the oc in this situation since Shane is going to be calling plays for his OWN designed offense. I think Gus and Bubba are staying. Ballard thinks highly of both and I believe he had that conversation with Steichen before the hire but I do understand your concern.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Not really because it’s Steichen’s system not the OCs system. So he will want position coaches that coach each position his way. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I'm moderately surprised that you don't understand what it means to have Steichen leading our team. 

He is the offense guru and will be training his underlings on what their players must be able to do to execute His complex offense.

His new "OC" will have a lot to learn and it makes sense that Steichan will really be the true OC until he gets everyone on the same page. This coming season and another off season might do it.

As long as we win games with good coaching of all positions, I’m not going to get bent out of shape for every move. I’m happy with the HC hire and trust the guys in the know to make the right decisions.

Wake me up when the combine and free agency come around. :) 

56 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm moderately surprised that you don't understand what it means to have Steichen leading our team. 

He is the offense guru and will be training his underlings on what their players must be able to do to execute His complex offense.

His new "OC" will have a lot to learn and it makes sense that Steichan will really be the true OC until he gets everyone on the same page. This coming season and another off season might do it.

Yeah he even mentioned on a interview that him calling plays could change in the future.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Not necessarily.   Steichen is going to be the play caller.   So as an offensive minded HC, he should be the one to pick his staff.   The OC is going to do whatever Steichen wants him to do.   Those two will work out the relationship.  But since Steichen goes way back with this guy, a simple straight forward hire is fine.   Just because he’s first doesn’t automatically mean he’s most important. 

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Shane is the OC…….he’s building a staff to supply him to put gameplans in place for game day. Whomever wears the OC cap upon hire is more or less a consultant so it really doesn’t matter what order they’re hired in.

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Um, that's not the way it works. The head coach selects everyone for his staff. He'll pick the brains of some of the hires for input on other positions but he just doesn't hire the offensive and defensive coordinators and then let them fill out that side of the ball.

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Well this time the head coach picked the rb coach before he picked the OC.  And who gives a crap.  

6 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Thanks for this valuable update!!

Personally - I would love to see Steichen hire Jeff Saturday as Asst O-Line Coach - AND - Reggie Wayne as Wide Receivers coach.

I can't imagine they'd find anyone better for either position.

Your thoughts?

You think Saturday would come back...... As.....not even OL, but thatched accept ASSISTANT OL coach?  

He's not coming back to be the guy who "beat hims out's" grad assistant....

7 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Thanks for this valuable update!!

Personally - I would love to see Steichen hire Jeff Saturday as Asst O-Line Coach - AND - Reggie Wayne as Wide Receivers coach.

I can't imagine they'd find anyone better for either position.

Your thoughts?

I don’t think Saturday, who wanted the Head coaching job, would be willing to take a position as the assistant assistant coach for the OL.   I’m not even sure he’d be willing to be the primary OL coach? 

I think if he comes back it would be as a consultant for Irsay.  But I don’t even know if that’s being offered? 

As for Reggie?   I’m 100 percent with you in bringing him back as the WR coach.  Hope it happens.   I’d be disappointed if it doesn’t.  

It would not be appropriate for Saturday to be on Steichen staff at this time. It would be awkward. Steichen is a young coach and doesn’t need irsays good friend watching over his shoulder.

I am surprised we haven’t heard anymore about OC interviews. Wonder since panthers hired someone else if cooter is in the lead.

On 2/20/2023 at 9:59 AM, cjrulli said:

I think it's also important to note that Saquan had a massive bounce back year with Smith on staff. Maybe he can help have that same effect on JT? 

I concur - but - to be honest - Taylor's problems were two-fold:  Nagging ankle injury & crappy offensive line play.

Archived