Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Not going to the Kentucky bowl game is fine with me, not going to the Senior Bowl where he will have a great chance to compare himself to the ones that aren't a shoe in and will be playing with a chip on their shoulders, that is what bothers me. CMC didn't play in the Stanford Bowl game either. Jake Butt, one of the best TEs Michigan produced, he showed up at the Capital One Orange Bowl and tore his ACL and fell all the way to the 5th round to the Broncos. I can definitely see it being a business decision.

Hopefully he shows up at the combine and the Pro Day and that is it. Luck showed up at the combine. Cam Newton did, no reason for Levis not to show up there.

I think everyone should attend the combine unless injured

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2023 at 11:17 AM, Smonroe said:

I’m going to trust our scouts and Ballard on this decision.   Although I think if Ballard had his way, he’d bring in Carr if he could get him cheap (3rd rounder or so).  

But I think Irsay is going to mandate he draft a QB.  Either Stroud or Young.  Which  means trading up to #1 (or 2 if Chicago is smart)

I agree with this.   I prefer Stroud, but I HAVE NO IDEA who is better

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I watched that last night.  Really makes Levis look more like Wentz and less like Josh Allen, doesn't it?

To be fair Josh Allen looked even worse in college. Did you check out his Anthony Richardson breakdown? To me it looks like he likes Richardson better. I kind of do too... 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

To be fair Josh Allen looked even worse in college. Did you check out his Anthony Richardson breakdown? To me it looks like he likes Richardson better. I kind of do too... 

I would agree

QB3 and QB4 are all about potential

If you are going to gamble with either......   why not go with the kid that could be a bigger payout

AR15 for me..... But....... only if QB1 and QB2 are gone

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I've watched both of them.  Looks like JT's criticisms of AR15 are centered around technique, footwork, and how they lead to inconsistency.  But he also acknowledges the off-the-charts physical skills, which puts his big play ceiling waaaay high.  His criticisms of Levis center around his decision making rather than his technique.  Why did you make this throw and not that throw?  Didn't you see the open guy?

Watching these films underscores something for me in this draft process:  there is no sure thing in the QB's coming out this year.  They all have a good thing to work with.  They all have bad things to worry about.

We talk about it being imperative that the Colts make the Right Choice.  Maybe there is no Right Choice?  Maybe there's just Pretty Good and A Little Bit Better.  (Kinda reminds me of our coaching search as well.)

35 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Yeah, I've watched both of them.  Looks like JT's criticisms of AR15 are centered around technique, footwork, and how they lead to inconsistency.  But he also acknowledges the off-the-charts physical skills, which puts his big play ceiling waaaay high.  His criticisms of Levis center around his decision making rather than his technique.  Why did you make this throw and not that throw?  Didn't you see the open guy?

Watching these films underscores something for me in this draft process:  there is no sure thing in the QB's coming out this year.  They all have a good thing to work with.  They all have bad things to worry about.

We talk about it being imperative that the Colts make the Right Choice.  Maybe there is no Right Choice?  Maybe there's just Pretty Good and A Little Bit Better.  (Kinda reminds me of our coaching search as well.)

As it sits today, I would not trade up, and take at 4

In order

Stroud

Young

Richardson

Richardson requires a year on the bench to learn the game, we will need a vet to play in 2023

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

There rarely are no-brainer prospects at QB and even with some that are thought of that way, it turns out there is some uncertainty. I think pursuit of perfection of prospects is kind of a foolish task. There are just SO MANY unknowns about those prospects. The projection is rarely as clean as it seems even with the cleanest looking college players. Ultimately you have to find a player you like... a player who might have some warts, but a player with traits and/or skills you are willing to bet on and go after him and develop him into something special. 

52 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

In order

Stroud

Young

Richardson

Richardson requires a year on the bench to learn the game, we will need a vet to play in 2023

I agree with you that none of them are worth trading up for.  You take the best of whoever falls to you at 4.

My order is different from yours.  But with these QB's, there's going to be as many opinions as there are people on the earth.

Young - for his ability to throw with anticipation

Levis - for his velocity and throwing mechanics

Stroud - for his combination of measurables and success

I'm still apprehensive about Richardson, given how raw he is, and how wide the boom/bust window is.  But I understand the appeal of taking him.

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree with you that none of them are worth trading up for.  You take the best of whoever falls to you at 4.

My order is different from yours.  But with these QB's, there's going to be as many opinions as there are people on the earth.

Young - for his ability to throw with anticipation

Levis - for his velocity and throwing mechanics

Stroud - for his combination of measurables and success

I'm still apprehensive about Richardson, given how raw he is, and how wide the boom/bust window is.  But I understand the appeal of taking him.

I am back and forth on Levis

His 2021 tape looks good, his 2022 tape is average at best

If the Colts do their research, and love the guy above Richardson, then so be it

Richardson is very raw..... but there are plays that are amazing.

There are a few plays, where he outruns DBs......  crazy

He can flick the ball with ease

It looks like his main issue is mechanical. Set the feet right, and his accuracy goes from 52% to 58 to 59%

He will need to sit a year, but he has Mahomes level ceiling, that no one else has in the draft...... but his "floor" is more like a basement

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I watched that last night.  Really makes Levis look more like Wentz and less like Josh Allen, doesn't it?

That's been my comp with Levis for awhile. Here is the thing though, Wentz did play some damn good ball in the league. He played pretty good ball as a whole in 21. Where his biggest flaw has been is his leadership ability and I've never believed he has had the competitive fire needed. Levis appears to have both of those characteristics and I believe he has a stronger arm as well. I don't think he has as steep of a learning curve as other prospects coming from a pro style offense the last 2 years. Would you have been happy with Wentz if he was more of a competitor and a better leader? I think most would say yes including the front office.

17 minutes ago, twfish said:

That's been my comp with Levis for awhile. Here is the thing though, Wentz did play some damn good ball in the league. He played pretty good ball as a whole in 21. Where his biggest flaw has been is his leadership ability and I've never believed he has had the competitive fire needed. Levis appears to have both of those characteristics and I believe he has a stronger arm as well. I don't think he has as steep of a learning curve as other prospects coming from a pro style offense the last 2 years. Would you have been happy with Wentz if he was more of a competitor and a better leader? I think most would say yes including the front office.

You make great points on Wentz, as well as the comparison.

Levis seems to have little more "fire" than Wentz, but the BOTH have times when their decision making is very poor.

Can that be coached out?   I hope so (if we take Levis)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 11:22 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I am back and forth on Levis

His 2021 tape looks good, his 2022 tape is average at best

If the Colts do their research, and love the guy above Richardson, then so be it

Richardson is very raw..... but there are plays that are amazing.

There are a few plays, where he outruns DBs......  crazy

He can flick the ball with ease

It looks like his main issue is mechanical. Set the feet right, and his accuracy goes from 52% to 58 to 59%

He will need to sit a year, but he has Mahomes level ceiling, that no one else has in the draft...... but his "floor" is more like a basement

Man, I am with you. You have to realize both Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts didn't take that big step till Year 3. 

Mahomes and Burrow, by Year 2 of starting, they are in the SB. 

If I had to bet $100 on it, I would venture to say Levis and Richardson will take till Year 3 to truly get close to their ceiling where the consistency of QB decision making and accuracy will get to the level of their traits. Stroud and Young, it will be faster.

4 hours ago, Gigc said:

Tell you one thing that helps if you have a QB who needs time to develop.

It's a run game. Annnnnd we just happen to have a dude who rushed for 1,800 yards on a season...

True but the offensive line were playing and blocking much better then. If JT is expected to have decent numbers the Oline is going to have to improve alot.

54 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I see a lot of mock drafts having the colts take Levis. Trading with the Bears and taking him at number one even. Why do people think the Colts are enamored with Levis? The only quarterback I’ve heard the colts mention was young from Irsay at Steichens introduction conference.

Maybe because Ballard has been to a lot of Kentucky games??

Maybe because we haven't drafted an African American QB in our history?? Levis would be easier to sell to the audience??? Just speculating, not intending to open a Pandora's box here. I would think we would be past that but ultimately the NFL is a business you have to cater to your audience and some folks may still have a twisted opinion of the Indy crowd. :dunno: 

Luck vs RG3 was never about race, it was always about QB ability but we are seeing far more African American QBs at the top in college football at the QB position, so more to choose from than years past. QB ability wise - I just don't see Levis better than Stroud or Young. 

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Maybe because Ballard has been to a lot of Kentucky games??

Maybe because we haven't drafted an African American QB in our history?? Levis would be easier to sell to the audience??? Just speculating, not intending to open a Pandora's box here. I would think we would be past that but ultimately the NFL is a business you have to cater to your audience and some folks may still have a twisted opinion of the Indy crowd. :dunno: 

Luck vs RG3 was never about race, it was always about QB ability but we are seeing far more African American QBs at the top in college football at the QB position, so more to choose from than years past. QB ability wise - I just don't see Levis better than Stroud or Young. 

I think the link between Levis and the Colts is simple. Levis is a good QB prospect (despite people dragging him lately), and the Colts need and apparently intend to draft a QB. They've been linked to Young, Stroud, and Richardson just as much.

I think the Indy crowd would be happy with the best qb regardless of color. While it’s prob true we haven’t drafted a black qb we have had black qbs on the roster so I don’t think it’s a mindset. I didn’t know Ballard had been to a lot of Kentucky games….

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the link between Levis and the Colts is simple. Levis is a good QB prospect (despite people dragging him lately), and the Colts need and apparently intend to draft a QB. They've been linked to Young, Stroud, and Richardson just as much.

I haven’t seen any mock draft with us taking Richardson.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think the Indy crowd would be happy with the best qb regardless of color. While it’s prob true we haven’t drafted a black qb we have had black qbs on the roster so I don’t think it’s a mindset. I didn’t know Ballard had been to a lot of Kentucky games….

I agree, personally. I have had friends on the coast still have a tainted view of the Midwest in general w.r.t how progressive we can be.

At least some documented ones... :) I am sure his scouts went to Stroud and Young games too, unnoticed. The truth is always in the middle and coincidences blown out of proportion.

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

+the Peyton Manning link... if you believe his word still holds much water with the owner and this FO... 

40 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I haven’t seen any mock draft with us taking Richardson.

https://www.colts.com/news/2023-nfl-mock-draft-anthony-richardson-bryce-young-trade-bears-steichen

Here are some mocks from the last week... 5 of the mocks have us drafting Anthony Richardson... one of them has us trading up to 1 and drafting Richardson. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

https://www.colts.com/news/2023-nfl-mock-draft-anthony-richardson-bryce-young-trade-bears-steichen

Here are some mocks from the last week... 5 of the mocks have us drafting Anthony Richardson... one of them has us trading up to 1 and drafting Richardson. 

I remember you changing your avatar to Jordan Love during his draft, now you are on the Anthony Richardson band wagon, it looks like, good for you. :) 

Hey, got to swing at some point, so go big or go home with AR15 who I think will be there for us at No.4

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I remember you changing your avatar to Jordan Love during his draft, now you are on the Anthony Richardson band wagon, it looks like, good for you. :) 

Hey, got to swing at some point, so go big or go home with AR15 who I think will be there for us at No.4

I still don't know if I completely missed on Jordan Love or not... I hope to see next year. But it's probably a miss.. 

But yeah... I love high ceiling QBs. Go big or go home indeed. :thmup:

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I still don't know if I completely missed on Jordan Love or not... I hope to see next year. But it's probably a miss.. 

But yeah... I love high ceiling QBs. Go big or go home indeed. :thmup:

Have you heard reports Packers are disgusted with Rodgers and fully plan to go all in on Jordan Love, who they highly think of?

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Mocks are there for entertainment purposes.  That’s why they keep changing them.  They do what’s intended.  Nothing to get excited about.

Pretty sure the Colts had scouts at multiple Kentucky games this last season

Levis is the QB I'm hoping for out of the draft

I've got a write-up on him coming sometime pre-draft.

I think his ceiling is very high, it's just a matter of if he can fix his mechanics and get his processor going

I admit that week to week my opinion on the top 4 QBs in this draft continues to change. So I will be happy with and support whoever we go with in the end. It is also why i love reading breakdowns like Superman puts together and then seeing all the back and forth our community has on each of the guys. All that said, I still don't understand all the Levis venom from the fanbase. But I digress. 

That said, for everyone that wants Levis or Richardson and acknowledges their immense upside but also acknowledges the need to be patient as they develop and hopefully really hit their stride in year 2 or 3...... one thing seems to continually get lost in the fray as people keep referencing Allen and Hurts as possible high-upside outcomes/comparisons:

Allen and Hurts both did not really, truly take off until their FO acquired a top-10 WR for them.

Allen's first 2 years before Diggs he averaged 56.3% for his completion percentage. After?...it jumped to 65.2% over the last 3 years. Now sure, some of that is Allen progressing. But also a huge part of that was the addition of a top-10 (or top-5 some may say) WR. That first year w Diggs his completion percentage jumped over 10% compared to the previous year. Not to mention his production both from a yardage and a TD standpoint skyrocketed also. He went from 184 total yards per game (pass and rush) and 1.7 to 0.8 TD-to-INT ratios per game to 310 ypg and a per game TD-INT ratio of 2.6 to 0.8

So basically Allen took a huge leap in both yardage and scoring and completion percentage when he got that elite WR. His turnovers remained constant but his yardage, completion % and scoring production blossomed. 

As for Hurts, his first two years combined (w year 1 being mostly a watch and learn situation) had him averaging a completion percentage of 59.0%. Even if we completely disregard year 1 and just look at year 2 prior to AJ Brown, he was at 61.3% and a TD/INT ratio of 1.7 to 0.6.

This year w a top-10 caliber WR in town in AJ Brown, he went up to 66.5% and a ratio of 2.3 to 0.4

My biggest thing here is this:

If we go after guys like Levis and Richardson they can be busts or they can blossom into the highest upside guys available in this draft. But if history teaches us anything with regard to Allen and Hurts (who are often cited as comparisons or the hopeful end game), then we should expect that unlocking their true potential comes when the Colts also have a top-10 WR to help them.

Pittman is great. I see him as a WR1 in the sense that he is a top-32 WR and by default that makes him a "1" in my eyes. But I do not see him as a top-10 guy. We would need potentially to rely on the Colts maximizing their competitive window while the QB is on a rookie deal by going out there and spending (both pick capital and money) to acquire a "cheat-code" type of WR. Unless we think Pittman or Pierce becomes that. Our FO has not shown the willingness yet to do that. (And I am not saying this is the only way the QBs reach their potential...but there is at least some strong evidence in the cases of Allen and Hurts). 

For me, this is why I will probably prefer the Young/Stroud route even though they each have their own drawbacks and less potential upside. 

I am all-in on the Levis/Richardson bandwagons if the team is going to invest to support them and if we can be patient to wait 2-3 years for them to make a jump. 

But that is a lot of "ifs"

This is part of why I am excited and fascinated to see the direction the team goes in and how they assemble the supporting cast to get after their vision for the future. 

Thanks again for these breakdowns and all the community chime in. Makes the off-season a lot more fun and interesting. 

3 hours ago, tvturner said:

Pretty sure the Colts had scouts at multiple Kentucky games this last season

Levis is the QB I'm hoping for out of the draft

I've got a write-up on him coming sometime pre-draft.

I think his ceiling is very high, it's just a matter of if he can fix his mechanics and get his processor going

Are you worries about his pocket awareness and feel? I am very worried about it.

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I admit that week to week my opinion on the top 4 QBs in this draft continues to change. So I will be happy with and support whoever we go with in the end. It is also why i love reading breakdowns like Superman puts together and then seeing all the back and forth our community has on each of the guys. All that said, I still don't understand all the Levis venom from the fanbase. But I digress. 

Same. At this point I see the positives for all of the top 4 prospects and if Ballard and Steichen decide any of them has good chance to be our franchise QB, I'd be good with and support any pick. 

That said, for everyone that wants Levis or Richardson and acknowledges their immense upside but also acknowledges the need to be patient as they develop and hopefully really hit their stride in year 2 or 3...... one thing seems to continually get lost in the fray as people keep referencing Allen and Hurts as possible high-upside outcomes/comparisons:

Allen and Hurts both did not really, truly take off until their FO acquired a top-10 WR for them.

Allen's first 2 years before Diggs he averaged 56.3% for his completion percentage. After?...it jumped to 65.2% over the last 3 years. Now sure, some of that is Allen progressing. But also a huge part of that was the addition of a top-10 (or top-5 some may say) WR. That first year w Diggs his completion percentage jumped over 10% compared to the previous year. Not to mention his production both from a yardage and a TD standpoint skyrocketed also. He went from 184 total yards per game (pass and rush) and 1.7 to 0.8 TD-to-INT ratios per game to 310 ypg and a per game TD-INT ratio of 2.6 to 0.8

So basically Allen took a huge leap in both yardage and scoring and completion percentage when he got that elite WR. His turnovers remained constant but his yardage, completion % and scoring production blossomed. 

As for Hurts, his first two years combined (w year 1 being mostly a watch and learn situation) had him averaging a completion percentage of 59.0%. Even if we completely disregard year 1 and just look at year 2 prior to AJ Brown, he was at 61.3% and a TD/INT ratio of 1.7 to 0.6.

This year w a top-10 caliber WR in town in AJ Brown, he went up to 66.5% and a ratio of 2.3 to 0.4

Yep. Dynamic weapons are very important in today's league. This has been my position for a while too .... stocking up on weapons should probably be one of the top priorities for this FO after getting our QB of the future. That's part of the reason I'm very reluctant to give up our 1st next year to move up for those QBs(first because I like them, I don't love any of them, and second - because I really want us to have a shot at Marvin Harrison Jr next year).

My biggest thing here is this:

If we go after guys like Levis and Richardson they can be busts or they can blossom into the highest upside guys available in this draft. But if history teaches us anything with regard to Allen and Hurts (who are often cited as comparisons or the hopeful end game), then we should expect that unlocking their true potential comes when the Colts also have a top-10 WR to help them.

Pittman is great. I see him as a WR1 in the sense that he is a top-32 WR and by default that makes him a "1" in my eyes. But I do not see him as a top-10 guy. We would need potentially to rely on the Colts maximizing their competitive window while the QB is on a rookie deal by going out there and spending (both pick capital and money) to acquire a "cheat-code" type of WR. Unless we think Pittman or Pierce becomes that. Our FO has not shown the willingness yet to do that. (And I am not saying this is the only way the QBs reach their potential...but there is at least some strong evidence in the cases of Allen and Hurts). 

For me, this is why I will probably prefer the Young/Stroud route even though they each have their own drawbacks and less potential upside. 

I think a player like Stroud would need a top receiving option even more than the Richardsons and Levis' of the world. Levis and Richardson have playmaking ability of their own, Stroud doesn't. He will need good protection and/or good receivers to get open sooner rather than later. With Young I don't even know what to think. He had exceptional playmaking ability in college, but I have very low confidence it will translate in the league because of his size and not exceptional athleticism. 

I am all-in on the Levis/Richardson bandwagons if the team is going to invest to support them and if we can be patient to wait 2-3 years for them to make a jump. 

Nowadays very few QBs really hit the ground running from their rookie year. Even a generational prospect like Trevor Lawrence had big troubles as a rookie. IMO you shouldn't be drafting a QB for his rookie year. This is fools errand. Draft him for what he can/will be in the next 10+ years. 

But that is a lot of "ifs"

This is part of why I am excited and fascinated to see the direction the team goes in and how they assemble the supporting cast to get after their vision for the future. 

Thanks again for these breakdowns and all the community chime in. Makes the off-season a lot more fun and interesting. 

Either way, raw or not IMO getting top receiving options is paramount for the development of any QB.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:11 AM, MikeCurtis said:

In order

Stroud

Young

Richardson

Why sit AR15...start him and let him learn in real games and take the high draft pick next year ... He either improves and shows he has real potential in the trial by fire or the colts have a legit chance of being in running for Williams or Maye.

Best case scenario by end of season he shows he can be that guy, but we still get high draft pick because we took a lot of losses while he was learning.

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Why sit AR15...start him and let him learn in real games and take the high draft pick next year ... He either improves and shows he has real potential in the trial by fire or the colts have a legit chance of being in running for Williams or Maye.

Best case scenario by end of season he shows he can be that guy, but we still get high draft pick because we took a lot of losses while he was learning.

There have been some raw QBs thrown to the wolves way too early.  It hurts their career. Zack Wilson may end up that way

There’s WAY to much for him to learn all at once

50 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

There have been some raw QBs thrown to the wolves way too early.  It hurts their career. Zack Wilson may end up that way

There’s WAY to much for him to learn all at once

Wilson's problem was not playing too early, his problem was an entitled attitude and no personal accountability...a bad leader. 

AR15 doesn't have to learn it all at once as long as expectations are this year is a learning year and that's communicated both to player and fans.

He needs game experience. 1 year in NFL (and 2 offseasons) will equal 2 more years of college experience and that's how his first year would need be viewed as another year in college. 

I'm not beating the drum for AR15... he's not my first choice; just how I think he should be handled if we do end up drafting him.

13 hours ago, esmort said:

Wilson's problem was not playing too early, his problem was an entitled attitude and no personal accountability...a bad leader. 

AR15 doesn't have to learn it all at once as long as expectations are this year is a learning year and that's communicated both to player and fans.

He needs game experience. 1 year in NFL (and 2 offseasons) will equal 2 more years of college experience and that's how his first year would need be viewed as another year in college. 

I'm not beating the drum for AR15... he's not my first choice; just how I think he should be handled if we do end up drafting him.

I actually AM beating the drum for AR15 (If AND ONLY IF.... QB1 and QB2 are gone before us)   And Fields isnt an option

AR15 is a risk....  

But the kid is talented

I just want him to let him learn the position. I dont want to blow his confidence.

Archived