Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

I just completely disagree. Herbert is not Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson, but he's in the tier below IMO, purely athletically. McKee would be one of the least athletic QBs in the NFL when he gets drafted. 

My comparison to Herbert was not meant to be strictly about athleticism.  I was just saying that I don't think its a liability for McKee PROVIDED he knows where the ball needs to go given the coverage diagnosis.

If he's a first read, then either improvise or take off running, yeah, he's not a good enough runner for that kind of game.  Herbert can probably do that, but that's not the level of mobility that's needed to play QB, JMO.

Let me put it this way. McKee looks more mobile than a young Peyton Manning or Joe Flacco.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard some stat on the PFF podcast yesterday - "demanded tight window throws" - throws where the QB is required to make tight window throw because his receivers are not separating. Will Levis had almost twice as many as any other QB in the draft and much higher than even NFL QBs are required to make. 

This is a testament to just how much of a disparity in talent he had compared to Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Hendon Hooker and even Anthony Richardson. Those players are throwing to open receivers with some regularity. Levis had none of that easy stuff for him to feast on. Everything with him this year was hard throws and to some degree it's impressive he even managed to get to 65% completion and 8.5 y/a. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Heard some stat on the PFF podcast yesterday - "demanded tight window throws" - throws where the QB is required to make tight window throw because his receivers are not separating. Will Levis had almost twice as many as any other QB in the draft and much higher than even NFL QBs are required to make. 

This is a testament to just how much of a disparity in talent he had compared to Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Hendon Hooker and even Anthony Richardson. Those players are throwing to open receivers with some regularity. Levis had none of that easy stuff for him to feast on. Everything with him this year was hard throws and to some degree it's impressive he even managed to get to 65% completion and 8.5 y/a. 

Levis is not my first choice, but watching his 2021 tape, you can see the talent

Very fast release, crazy strong arm

I go back and forth on a trade up, but would almost rather just sit where we are and get Stroud (my first choice) and if not,

take Levis.

All of the top 3 need a good QB coach...... to develop their skills

It will be an interesting evaluation process  

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Levis is not my first choice, but watching his 2021 tape, you can see the talent

Very fast release, crazy strong arm

I go back and forth on a trade up, but would almost rather just sit where we are and get Stroud (my first choice) and if not,

take Levis.

All of the top 3 need a good QB coach...... to develop their skills

It will be an interesting evaluation process  

This is where I'm at right now. I don't love Levis, but I'm also not opposed. I really like the accuracy Stroud brings and that last CFP game left me very impressed with him. At this point in the evaluations, I'd prefer Stroud at 4, but I wouldn't be mad if we ended up with Levis.

28 minutes ago, Shive said:

This is where I'm at right now. I don't love Levis, but I'm also not opposed. I really like the accuracy Stroud brings and that last CFP game left me very impressed with him. At this point in the evaluations, I'd prefer Stroud at 4, but I wouldn't be mad if we ended up with Levis.

I really don’t see Ballard taking the chance on losing the quarterback he wants by sitting at 4.  He demonstrated his aggressiveness by going up and getting JT a few years ago.  He signaled his willingness to move up from 4 at his year end press conference.  He knows he has to get his guy.  I think he and his scouting department will come to a consensus on who it is and communicate their choice to Irsay.  Once he agrees I think he moves up to get him.  There is too much at stake for him and the franchise to just sit at 4 and hope he falls.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

He ain't lasting till 4. If we don't move up at least to No.3, he won't last past that. 

If we don't move up to No.1 and the Bears are forced to take someone, I can bet that someone moves to No.3 to get Young or Stroud, based on whichever direction the Texans go.

Like @richard pallo said, if we get the QB right in a couple of years, no one, I repeat, no one will be questioning that Ballard gave up a future 1st and a bunch of picks.

I’m going to trust our scouts and Ballard on this decision.   Although I think if Ballard had his way, he’d bring in Carr if he could get him cheap (3rd rounder or so).  

But I think Irsay is going to mandate he draft a QB.  Either Stroud or Young.  Which  means trading up to #1 (or 2 if Chicago is smart)

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I really don’t see Ballard taking the chance on losing the quarterback he wants by sitting at 4.  He demonstrated his aggressiveness by going up and getting JT a few years ago.  He signaled his willingness to move up from 4 at his year end press conference.  He knows he has to get his guy.  I think he and his scouting department will come to a consensus on who it is and communicate their choice to Irsay.  Once he agrees I think he moves up to get him.  There is too much at stake for him and the franchise to just sit at 4 and hope he falls.

I Propose that Young and Stroud will end up with almost identical grades.

With Levis several points lower but still with a grade that predicts he is a SB contending level prospect.

Giving up the bounty for drafting #1 would make little sense. To #3 makes some sense if one of the top 2 is on the board. 

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I Propose that Young and Stroud will end up with almost identical grades.

With Levis several points lower but still with a grade that predicts he is a SB contending level prospect.

Giving up the bounty for drafting #1 would make little sense. To #3 makes some sense if one of the top 2 is on the board. 

I don’t think Ballard will take the chance.  There is not a consensus on who the number one quarterback prospect is.  The only one that matters is what Ballard thinks.  I don’t think he will risk losing him by waiting.  Too many teams could move up in front of us.  I think he goes to number one.  

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think Ballard will take the chance.  There is not a consensus on who the number one quarterback prospect is.  The only one that matters is what Ballard thinks.  I don’t think he will risk losing him by waiting.  Too many teams could move up in front of us.  I think he goes to number one.  

You mean Irsay right. What he chooses.

On 1/20/2023 at 9:57 AM, RollerColt said:

That flick of the wrist still gets me when I watch him. I can see some Aaron Rodgers style of throwing sometimes. 

Yeah his release is amazing.  I have no opinion of anything else.  I learned a while back I was bad at assessing QB talent from CFB to the pros, but realized after that that nobody seems very good at it, lol.

On 1/20/2023 at 10:37 AM, throwing BBZ said:

I can picture him having Luck like qualities. Very capable of throwing anywhere on the field 15 yards and beyond. We do want chunk plays.

If Ivey league teams wanted him it wasn't to raise their team GPA, so i would believe he is very bright. Hopefully bright enough, hungry enough to work to be great. lol 

I personally don't think IVY league IQ has much to do with playing NFL QB.  The long time NFL QB, Ivy Leaguer Ryan Fitzpatrick is mostly known for making "dumb" throws lol. 

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah his release is amazing.  I have no opinion of anything else.  I learned a while back I was bad at assessing QB talent from CFB to the pros, but realized after that that nobody seems very good at it, lol.

Very true. All we can do is hope we find the right guy, or at least the right fit with our future HC. 

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What?!?   My friend Richard Pallo predicts the Colts will make a trade?!?   Why, that is SHOCKING!!

That only happens on days of the week that end in… d-a-y.   

(Honestly, I think we do make a trade, just  not sure it’s all the way up to #1.).   :peek:

On 1/22/2023 at 4:30 PM, Superman said:

I thought about making that comparison. I think young Ben was less dynamic athletically, and more mature Ben had a higher level of ability to make plays with his arm. But the "rough and tumble" style of playing and the gunslinger mentality fits. I think Bortles got compared to Roethlisberger also...

All I had done is watch a couple minutes of a tape that one of the guys here posted and I immediately thought of Dan Marino with the incredible shortness of release.  He also has as I think you mentioned good touch as well as a good fastball.  

Another way he's like Marino is that he had a much better Junior year than Senior year. 

That said.  I have absolutely NO IDEA how this kid or any of the others will translate, but I would be interested if we draft him.

3 hours ago, Shive said:

My thing with Stroud is... how much should we put on that last game? Because the huge sample is of him being unable to make plays out of structure. And then in one game he did. Sure, it was against a great opponent and in an important game. But... is it repeatable? Is he now that guy from the CFP game? Or is he the guy from the previous 20 games? His PFF grade under pressure vs Georgia was 85+. His PFF grade under pressure in the games before that was in the 30s. 

Also... go watch him vs Georgia and look at those scrambles. Does he look athletic in those? Does he look like he can consistently do this vs NFL offenses? I'm not quite sure... I think I'm still worried about Stroud's off-structure playmaking. 

Just now, stitches said:

My thing with Stroud is... how much should we put on that last game? Because the huge sample is of him being unable to make plays out of structure. And then in one game he did. Sure, it was against a great opponent and in an important game. But... is it repeatable? Is he now that guy from the CFP game? Or is he the guy from the previous 20 games? His PFF grade under pressure vs Georgia was 85+. His PFF grade under pressure in the games before that was in the 30s. 

Also... go watch him vs Georgia and look at those scrambles. Does he look athletic in those? Does he look like he can consistently do this vs NFL offenses? I'm not quite sure... I think I'm still worried about Stroud's off-structure playmaking. 

Yeah that is what I heard people saying about the kid, and he made all kinds of plays ad libbing v. Georgia.

Sometimes people see a bad game and just think that is the way a guy is (for instance if all I saw was Young's tape v. LSU eesh) or see a good game like Stroud v. GA and think that is the final say.

My question would be is Stroud really unable to make ad lib plays consistently or is this just something that happened in an important couple of games that are remembered?

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

He ain't lasting till 4. If we don't move up at least to No.3, he won't last past that. 

If we don't move up to No.1 and the Bears are forced to take someone, I can bet that someone moves to No.3 to get Young or Stroud, based on whichever direction the Texans go.

Like @richard pallo said, if we get the QB right in a couple of years, no one, I repeat, no one will be questioning that Ballard gave up a future 1st and a bunch of picks.

It depends on cost to trade and our scouting teams opinion on the prospect

There may be a need to swap a pick with Cardinals to keep someone else….. out

The biggest issue is ranking

If there is one QB that is head and shoulders above the other 2 than you make the move….

There isn’t a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck in this draft.  If there was….. I would be calling for the trade up

There are 3 really decent QB prospects but they seem to each have holes

If they are close to each other….. I would rather NOT just give up 2 firsts and 2 seconds and maybe a player.     

It’s all about how we rate the qb

Definitely would think a guy would want to prove he is worth the possible #1 pick. Maybe there is an injury that's playing a factor. Was torn between him and Stroud, but if it's a competition issue, then absolutely Stroud. You have to have confidence and a strong mindset to be QB in this league. 

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Looking back, I probably should have left the draft spot out of that comment, because you're both probably correct that he probably won't be there at 4.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

That still remains my biggest concern with him. I think that game gave us a flash on what he can do, but the question is as you mentioned: can he do that consistently or was that just a fluke?

On 1/19/2023 at 2:36 PM, Superman said:

Here's my report on Will Levis. I've watched a ton of his film cut-ups, saw a couple of his games in real time, and have seen several breakdowns of his play. Before I move on to a new prospect, I want to put my thoughts down. Hopefully some of you have watched him play and can share some thoughts also. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/will-levis-1.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Levis

Basic info: Born in June 1999, he'll be 24 years old at the start of the 2023 season. After high school, he had several scholarship offers, including Florida State, North Carolina, plus Ivy League offers from Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. He committed to Penn State and attended from 2018 through 2020, mostly backing up Sean Clifford. He graduated in 2021, then transferred to Kentucky, where he started in 2021 and 2022.

Size/body: Generally listed at 6'3", 230(ish) pounds, he has prototypical size. He's also well built, with a muscled up frame. Basically central casting for an NFL QB. Not only can he survive contact, he can shrug it off in the pocket and still throw downfield, or escape and run. Well balanced, durable, strong. 8/10

Movement/athleticism: Not necessarily a twitchy blur of a runner, but he can run, and he can make defenders miss. (Vs Louisville, 2021, go to 7:03 mark, and see him juke one defender, then hurdle another. Or watch the whole game, he's using his legs all day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLxOUKJriv8) He ran less in 2022, apparently due an injury, but he still put some nice plays on tape with his legs. Don't know what he'll run at the Combine, I would say he's a 4.75 guy in the forty, with some explosiveness potential in the vertical. His ability to run can be a consistent weapon in the NFL. More in mechanics/footwork... 7/10

Throwing ability: He possesses excellent arm strength, to all parts of the field. He can easily push the ball 60+ yards down field, sometimes coming close to that from crowded pocket and bad platform. Off his back foot and with a wrist flick, he can zip the ball around. On intermediate and sideline throws, he has enough velocity to get to the second level, through defenders, leaving little time to react. Tight windows aren't a problem, deep outs and comebacks aren't a problem. If anything, he trusts his arm too much at times. "Arm talent" is on full display with him. He has as good an arm of any prospect since Josh Allen. 8/10

Accuracy: Inconsistent accuracy on tape, which burns him at times. He can miss long, overthrowing receivers downfield, he'll miss short if he doesn't follow through, and he can miss wide if he's under pressure. There are mechanical problems that pop up at times, and apparently issues with processing, reading defenses, and finishing progressions, which can lead to some rushed throws. Because he trusts his arm, he gets into trouble. However, he's not just spraying the ball all over the field. He shows some impressive accuracy in various situations, clean pocket, under pressure, on the run, between defenders. Good ball placement also, leading receivers, or putting it on the body in traffic, etc. Most of his inconsistencies can be addressed with focus on footwork, but processing and anticipation are bigger question marks. 6/10

Mechanics/footwork: The most concerning area of his game, to me. At times, he doesn't step through and shift weight to his front leg, pressure or not. His platform can get a little too wide, which changes his shoulder/eye level, and creates inconsistencies with his delivery. His drop and stance are generally consistent, no issues there; Kentucky has run a pro-style drop back passing game since he's been there, so he's not just a shotgun/spread QB (like Hendon Hooker). Another area of concern is his abbreviated throwing motion, he tends to be a three quarter thrower, over relying on his elbow and not using his shoulder enough. This is fine for many throws, but when he needs touch across the middle, throws can sail, or get short armed. Bottom line, at times his mechanics cause him problems with accuracy. The most prominent fix is simply focusing on better footwork as he plants to throw, and that's something that many QBs have done in the past, but it's also not a given. 6/10

Processing/anticipation/vision: There are plenty of examples of him working entire field progressions, from shotgun and from under center, so we have demonstrated ability. However, at times he'll get stuck on his first read, wind up late to second options or dump offs, and rush his throws, which often results in inaccuracy. Bigger concern for me is when he commits to his first read and misses a defender underneath who takes a deeper drop than he anticipated, winding up in a tipped ball or an undercut. Many of his interceptions came in these situations, especially high/low reads to the outside that get taken by the underneath defender, or forced passes over the middle that get tipped. Add in his tendency to get sloppy with footwork when under pressure, any confused read or late decision can be a disaster. Again, there's proof of concept here, unlike some QB prospects who do almost no progression based passing. But he needs to drill on these situations. He keeps his eyes downfield, even when under pressure. One area of concern is his unwillingness to give up on a play, which leads to silly mistakes. He's not quite a Carson Wentz, attempting left handed passes while being tackled, but he takes too many risks, both as a runner and as a passer, leading to turnover worthy plays and unnecessary big hits. 6/10

Pocket presence: He generally shows a good feel for the pocket, and has the subtle movement and awareness needed to navigate the pocket. There are plays at times where the protection breaks down quickly, including unblocked rushers, and he's been blown up without even seeing the defender, but that's a protection issue. His ability to sense pressure, move, reset and throw is well demonstrated. He also doesn't hang in the pocket unnecessarily, and will take off and use his legs, either to run or to get outside and throw. He keeps his eyes downfield when he leaves the pocket. 7/10

Intangibles: Almost everything we see from him looks like the prototypical leader and performer that NFL teams like to see. He played through injury in 2022, facing stronger competition with fewer offensive weapons. He rallies his teammates on the sideline and in the huddle. He's great on the podium and in one-on-one interviews, accepting responsibility for problems and deflecting praise for successes. It appears that he takes coaching well. One area I don't feel great about is his decision to skip Kentucky's bowl game this year; this is something many prospects do, but in his case, he had an opportunity to show something against a good opponent, which is a weaker area of his resume. He also hasn't committed to the Senior Bowl yet. Both of these decisions might be related to some of his injuries in 2022, but it's not what I'd prefer to see from a guy who still has question marks. 8/10

Projection: Many people have compared him to Josh Allen, and I think that's fitting, strictly from a play style/tools standpoint. Great size, big arm, mobility, toughness. Thing is, Josh Allen was a long shot to become a high level QB, due to issues with accuracy, mechanics under pressure, and ball security. Same story for Levis. He needs to be on a team with good offensive coaching, and while he can physically handle the pro game right away, he'd be better off having competition early on. Solid OL play and good receiving options will help any young QB, but we saw a significant drop off in his play from 2021 due to poor OL play and inexperienced receivers. If Levis gets drafted by a team that will be patient with him early, if he focuses on his footwork, and drills on coverages and progressions, there's no reason he can't be a long term starter for a good team. He's an older prospect, but it's still unlikely that he's reached his ceiling, and he has a ton of upside. If he lands in a bad situation, we're probably looking at Sam Darnold/Blake Bortles.

Remaining QB prospects: CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Hendon Hooker.

Looking forward to your breakdown of Hooker.      I know it will probably be the last one you do, but I think he is being overlooked way to much   I could be wrong 

3 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Missing the bowl game really bothers me 

I don’t know

if you are a top 10 pick and your team is in the pink blueberry bowl…..  you have nothing to play for

if he gets injured at the bowl….. will Kentucky cover his living costs ?

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Hopefully Levis throws at the combine. That’s where I saw Herbert throw darts 40-50 yards down the field and knew his arm was legit and accurate, need both.

The kid has a cannon, with almost no windup

3 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

If he is afraid of competing against his peers he will never make it in the AFCS.   Big red flag for me. 

I don’t know

He will probably be a top 10 pick

Stroud will not be playing in that game

Young will not be playing in that game

If he stinks he will drop

Its a no win game for a top pick 

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Looking forward to your breakdown of Hooker.      I know it will probably be the last one you do, but I think he is being overlooked way to much   I could be wrong 

I like Hooker's tools. There are a lot of question marks though, mostly because of the scheme at TN. That will be a fun one to write up...

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I don’t know

if you are a top 10 pick and your team is in the pink blueberry bowl…..  you have nothing to play for

if he gets injured at the bowl….. will Kentucky cover his living costs ?

The kid has a cannon, with almost no windup

I get that side of it.  It’s lottery money.   I still don’t like it. I think he let his teammates down.  

10 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I get that side of it.  It’s lottery money.   I still don’t like it. I think he let his teammates down.  

It’s a tough call but college is for fun /Learning (at least before NIL $)

If a kid is going first round and the college is playing a secondary bowl that the college is in to get TV money …… I would have to agree with the kid

Nobody will remember the Music City Bowl outcome 1 year later

If Will Levis tears a shoulder muscle or blows out a knee, he will slide from round 1 to round 2.   (Or LATER)

Will Levi’s has his life in front of him, the bowl is not just an injury risk.  He also will spend valuable time with QB coaches as well as physical trainers.   He needs to show well at the combine. 

According to Spotrac

First round: $18.4 million
Second round: $6.9 million
Third round: $4.4 million
Fourth round: $3.3 million
Fifth round: $2.95 million
Sixth round: $2.8 million
Seventh round: $2.7 million

This is average for the whole round

If Will Levi’s gets injured he could potentially lose out on 10-12m

just by a draft slide

The 2nd contract is not guaranteed.  Most QBs flame out

This may be his one time gig

I side with the kid…… and would probably do EXACTLY the same

These colleges are all about the money these days….

9 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Colleges are letting their athletes get paid now.  It’s a business.   College players are looking out for themselves.  Teammates are on board.  Amateur athletics?  Not any more.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Colleges are letting their athletes get paid now.  It’s a business.   College players are looking out for themselves.  Teammates are on board.  Amateur athletics?  Not any more.

The NCAA and EA Sports were making millions off the college players for years. Now that gambling is legal in most places its only a matter of time before that enters the picture. Everyone's gonna want their cut. 

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

It’s a tough call but college is for fun /Learning (at least before NIL $)

If a kid is going first round and the college is playing a secondary bowl that the college is in to get TV money …… I would have to agree with the kid

Nobody will remember the Music City Bowl outcome 1 year later

If Will Levis tears a shoulder muscle or blows out a knee, he will slide from round 1 to round 2.   (Or LATER)

Will Levi’s has his life in front of him, the bowl is not just an injury risk.  He also will spend valuable time with QB coaches as well as physical trainers.   He needs to show well at the combine. 

According to Spotrac

First round: $18.4 million
Second round: $6.9 million
Third round: $4.4 million
Fourth round: $3.3 million
Fifth round: $2.95 million
Sixth round: $2.8 million
Seventh round: $2.7 million

This is average for the whole round

If Will Levi’s gets injured he could potentially lose out on 10-12m

just by a draft slide

The 2nd contract is not guaranteed.  Most QBs flame out

This may be his one time gig

I side with the kid…… and would probably do EXACTLY the same

These colleges are all about the money these days….

I can't honestly say what i would have done.  I would imagine my family and agent/counsel would advise against playing for those reasons.  There is just something about it that i don't like.  If he announced to his teammates and had their support, which he probably did, then that does change the calculus a bit. 

10 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Not going to the Kentucky bowl game is fine with me, not going to the Senior Bowl where he will have a great chance to compare himself to the ones that aren't a shoe in and will be playing with a chip on their shoulders, that is what bothers me. CMC didn't play in the Stanford Bowl game either. Jake Butt, one of the best TEs Michigan produced, he showed up at the Capital One Orange Bowl and tore his ACL and fell all the way to the 5th round to the Broncos. I can definitely see it being a business decision.

Hopefully he shows up at the combine and the Pro Day and that is it. Luck showed up at the combine. Cam Newton did, no reason for Levis not to show up there.

Archived