Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Here's my report on Will Levis. I've watched a ton of his film cut-ups, saw a couple of his games in real time, and have seen several breakdowns of his play. Before I move on to a new prospect, I want to put my thoughts down. Hopefully some of you have watched him play and can share some thoughts also. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/will-levis-1.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Levis

Basic info: Born in June 1999, he'll be 24 years old at the start of the 2023 season. After high school, he had several scholarship offers, including Florida State, North Carolina, plus Ivy League offers from Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. He committed to Penn State and attended from 2018 through 2020, mostly backing up Sean Clifford. He graduated in 2021, then transferred to Kentucky, where he started in 2021 and 2022.

Size/body: Generally listed at 6'3", 230(ish) pounds, he has prototypical size. He's also well built, with a muscled up frame. Basically central casting for an NFL QB. Not only can he survive contact, he can shrug it off in the pocket and still throw downfield, or escape and run. Well balanced, durable, strong. 8/10

Movement/athleticism: Not necessarily a twitchy blur of a runner, but he can run, and he can make defenders miss. (Vs Louisville, 2021, go to 7:03 mark, and see him juke one defender, then hurdle another. Or watch the whole game, he's using his legs all day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLxOUKJriv8) He ran less in 2022, apparently due an injury, but he still put some nice plays on tape with his legs. Don't know what he'll run at the Combine, I would say he's a 4.75 guy in the forty, with some explosiveness potential in the vertical. His ability to run can be a consistent weapon in the NFL. More in mechanics/footwork... 7/10

Throwing ability: He possesses excellent arm strength, to all parts of the field. He can easily push the ball 60+ yards down field, sometimes coming close to that from crowded pocket and bad platform. Off his back foot and with a wrist flick, he can zip the ball around. On intermediate and sideline throws, he has enough velocity to get to the second level, through defenders, leaving little time to react. Tight windows aren't a problem, deep outs and comebacks aren't a problem. If anything, he trusts his arm too much at times. "Arm talent" is on full display with him. He has as good an arm of any prospect since Josh Allen. 8/10

Accuracy: Inconsistent accuracy on tape, which burns him at times. He can miss long, overthrowing receivers downfield, he'll miss short if he doesn't follow through, and he can miss wide if he's under pressure. There are mechanical problems that pop up at times, and apparently issues with processing, reading defenses, and finishing progressions, which can lead to some rushed throws. Because he trusts his arm, he gets into trouble. However, he's not just spraying the ball all over the field. He shows some impressive accuracy in various situations, clean pocket, under pressure, on the run, between defenders. Good ball placement also, leading receivers, or putting it on the body in traffic, etc. Most of his inconsistencies can be addressed with focus on footwork, but processing and anticipation are bigger question marks. 6/10

Mechanics/footwork: The most concerning area of his game, to me. At times, he doesn't step through and shift weight to his front leg, pressure or not. His platform can get a little too wide, which changes his shoulder/eye level, and creates inconsistencies with his delivery. His drop and stance are generally consistent, no issues there; Kentucky has run a pro-style drop back passing game since he's been there, so he's not just a shotgun/spread QB (like Hendon Hooker). Another area of concern is his abbreviated throwing motion, he tends to be a three quarter thrower, over relying on his elbow and not using his shoulder enough. This is fine for many throws, but when he needs touch across the middle, throws can sail, or get short armed. Bottom line, at times his mechanics cause him problems with accuracy. The most prominent fix is simply focusing on better footwork as he plants to throw, and that's something that many QBs have done in the past, but it's also not a given. 6/10

Processing/anticipation/vision: There are plenty of examples of him working entire field progressions, from shotgun and from under center, so we have demonstrated ability. However, at times he'll get stuck on his first read, wind up late to second options or dump offs, and rush his throws, which often results in inaccuracy. Bigger concern for me is when he commits to his first read and misses a defender underneath who takes a deeper drop than he anticipated, winding up in a tipped ball or an undercut. Many of his interceptions came in these situations, especially high/low reads to the outside that get taken by the underneath defender, or forced passes over the middle that get tipped. Add in his tendency to get sloppy with footwork when under pressure, any confused read or late decision can be a disaster. Again, there's proof of concept here, unlike some QB prospects who do almost no progression based passing. But he needs to drill on these situations. He keeps his eyes downfield, even when under pressure. One area of concern is his unwillingness to give up on a play, which leads to silly mistakes. He's not quite a Carson Wentz, attempting left handed passes while being tackled, but he takes too many risks, both as a runner and as a passer, leading to turnover worthy plays and unnecessary big hits. 6/10

Pocket presence: He generally shows a good feel for the pocket, and has the subtle movement and awareness needed to navigate the pocket. There are plays at times where the protection breaks down quickly, including unblocked rushers, and he's been blown up without even seeing the defender, but that's a protection issue. His ability to sense pressure, move, reset and throw is well demonstrated. He also doesn't hang in the pocket unnecessarily, and will take off and use his legs, either to run or to get outside and throw. He keeps his eyes downfield when he leaves the pocket. 7/10

Intangibles: Almost everything we see from him looks like the prototypical leader and performer that NFL teams like to see. He played through injury in 2022, facing stronger competition with fewer offensive weapons. He rallies his teammates on the sideline and in the huddle. He's great on the podium and in one-on-one interviews, accepting responsibility for problems and deflecting praise for successes. It appears that he takes coaching well. One area I don't feel great about is his decision to skip Kentucky's bowl game this year; this is something many prospects do, but in his case, he had an opportunity to show something against a good opponent, which is a weaker area of his resume. He also hasn't committed to the Senior Bowl yet. Both of these decisions might be related to some of his injuries in 2022, but it's not what I'd prefer to see from a guy who still has question marks. 8/10

Projection: Many people have compared him to Josh Allen, and I think that's fitting, strictly from a play style/tools standpoint. Great size, big arm, mobility, toughness. Thing is, Josh Allen was a long shot to become a high level QB, due to issues with accuracy, mechanics under pressure, and ball security. Same story for Levis. He needs to be on a team with good offensive coaching, and while he can physically handle the pro game right away, he'd be better off having competition early on. Solid OL play and good receiving options will help any young QB, but we saw a significant drop off in his play from 2021 due to poor OL play and inexperienced receivers. If Levis gets drafted by a team that will be patient with him early, if he focuses on his footwork, and drills on coverages and progressions, there's no reason he can't be a long term starter for a good team. He's an older prospect, but it's still unlikely that he's reached his ceiling, and he has a ton of upside. If he lands in a bad situation, we're probably looking at Sam Darnold/Blake Bortles.

Remaining QB prospects: CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Hendon Hooker.

Biggest upside by quite a bit but lower floor then Young and Stroud,should be on board at 4 but lately a lot of reports have him going 1. Do you risk it for Allen 2.0 ? I'd roll the dice,not sure Ballard does or not.

Will Levis and Anthony Richardson are projects. AR has more physical upside and is a decent amount younger, while Levis has shown a bit more production, but not that much so and it's to be expected with the higher quantity of snaps he's taken. Both played in the SEC so they both had tougher sets of opponents then most.

If we trade down, I'm fine with either. I don't think either is worth the #4 pick though.

Love your breakdowns. They are a treat. IMO you are one of the most knowledgeable people here and I thoroughly enjoy readidng your detailed opinions on QBs, since for me QB is probably the hardest position to evaluate. I will add some of my thoughts below. 

16 hours ago, Superman said:

Here's my report on Will Levis. I've watched a ton of his film cut-ups, saw a couple of his games in real time, and have seen several breakdowns of his play. Before I move on to a new prospect, I want to put my thoughts down. Hopefully some of you have watched him play and can share some thoughts also. 

Basic info: Born in June 1999, he'll be 24 years old at the start of the 2023 season. After high school, he had several scholarship offers, including Florida State, North Carolina, plus Ivy League offers from Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. He committed to Penn State and attended from 2018 through 2020, mostly backing up Sean Clifford. He graduated in 2021, then transferred to Kentucky, where he started in 2021 and 2022.

Age is not ideal. In some respects I feel like he should be more polished than he is for his age AND for the coaching background he has(he's had good coaching - last 2 OCs he's had have been well regarded coaches with NFL experience - Liam Coen, who was under McVey with the Rams and Rich Scangarello, who's been QB coach in the NFL for the last 5 years...). Hard to say he's a finished product, but still... worth noting he's like 2 years older than Stroud and Young. 

Size/body: Generally listed at 6'3", 230(ish) pounds, he has prototypical size. He's also well built, with a muscled up frame. Basically central casting for an NFL QB. Not only can he survive contact, he can shrug it off in the pocket and still throw downfield, or escape and run. Well balanced, durable, strong. 8/10

Love his size and stature. He looks like an NFL QB. I might even put the grade here at 9. 

Movement/athleticism: Not necessarily a twitchy blur of a runner, but he can run, and he can make defenders miss. (Vs Louisville, 2021, go to 7:03 mark, and see him juke one defender, then hurdle another. Or watch the whole game, he's using his legs all day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLxOUKJriv8) He ran less in 2022, apparently due an injury, but he still put some nice plays on tape with his legs. Don't know what he'll run at the Combine, I would say he's a 4.75 guy in the forty, with some explosiveness potential in the vertical. His ability to run can be a consistent weapon in the NFL. More in mechanics/footwork... 7/10

IMO his movement/athleticism is in the Luck or Herbert mold of an athlete. He's not Lamar or Hurts, but IMO he can be a real threat on the run... both with his legs and with his arm. IMO his injuries this year masked some of his explosive athleticism. 

Throwing ability: He possesses excellent arm strength, to all parts of the field. He can easily push the ball 60+ yards down field, sometimes coming close to that from crowded pocket and bad platform. Off his back foot and with a wrist flick, he can zip the ball around. On intermediate and sideline throws, he has enough velocity to get to the second level, through defenders, leaving little time to react. Tight windows aren't a problem, deep outs and comebacks aren't a problem. If anything, he trusts his arm too much at times. "Arm talent" is on full display with him. He has as good an arm of any prospect since Josh Allen. 8/10

Yep. Great arm. There is no throw that is too ambitious for him. He can throw with velocity into tight windows, he can throw with an arc outside the numbers. Opposite hash backshoulder throw - no problem. Deep outs, no problem. His throwing motion is compact and very quick. One thing I didn't see much of is change of arm angles, but it's not that big of a deal. IMO his arm is not quite Josh Allen level... but it's not that far off either. 

Accuracy: Inconsistent accuracy on tape, which burns him at times. He can miss long, overthrowing receivers downfield, he'll miss short if he doesn't follow through, and he can miss wide if he's under pressure. There are mechanical problems that pop up at times, and apparently issues with processing, reading defenses, and finishing progressions, which can lead to some rushed throws. Because he trusts his arm, he gets into trouble. However, he's not just spraying the ball all over the field. He shows some impressive accuracy in various situations, clean pocket, under pressure, on the run, between defenders. Good ball placement also, leading receivers, or putting it on the body in traffic, etc. Most of his inconsistencies can be addressed with focus on footwork, but processing and anticipation are bigger question marks. 6/10

Yeah. there are some inconsistencies with his accuracy. I'm no mechanics expert so I defer to you here about the root causes and how fixable they are. 

Mechanics/footwork: The most concerning area of his game, to me. At times, he doesn't step through and shift weight to his front leg, pressure or not. His platform can get a little too wide, which changes his shoulder/eye level, and creates inconsistencies with his delivery. His drop and stance are generally consistent, no issues there; Kentucky has run a pro-style drop back passing game since he's been there, so he's not just a shotgun/spread QB (like Hendon Hooker). Another area of concern is his abbreviated throwing motion, he tends to be a three quarter thrower, over relying on his elbow and not using his shoulder enough. This is fine for many throws, but when he needs touch across the middle, throws can sail, or get short armed. Bottom line, at times his mechanics cause him problems with accuracy. The most prominent fix is simply focusing on better footwork as he plants to throw, and that's something that many QBs have done in the past, but it's also not a given. 6/10

I hope you are right and his mechanics can be fixed. He seems to be a dedicated worker so no doubt he will at least try to fix some of those problems. 

Processing/anticipation/vision: There are plenty of examples of him working entire field progressions, from shotgun and from under center, so we have demonstrated ability. However, at times he'll get stuck on his first read, wind up late to second options or dump offs, and rush his throws, which often results in inaccuracy. Bigger concern for me is when he commits to his first read and misses a defender underneath who takes a deeper drop than he anticipated, winding up in a tipped ball or an undercut. Many of his interceptions came in these situations, especially high/low reads to the outside that get taken by the underneath defender, or forced passes over the middle that get tipped. Add in his tendency to get sloppy with footwork when under pressure, any confused read or late decision can be a disaster. Again, there's proof of concept here, unlike some QB prospects who do almost no progression based passing. But he needs to drill on these situations. He keeps his eyes downfield, even when under pressure. One area of concern is his unwillingness to give up on a play, which leads to silly mistakes. He's not quite a Carson Wentz, attempting left handed passes while being tackled, but he takes too many risks, both as a runner and as a passer, leading to turnover worthy plays and unnecessary big hits. 6/10

Yep, this has been one of my biggest worries too. Like I said above, it's not like he hasn't already had good coaching so the fact that he still has some issues with completing reads, getting stuck on reads... straight up not seeing dropping defenders down the middle... presents some questions. On the bright side - the fact that he's worked with NFL type coaching and NFL type system lets us see glimpses of what can be. Because on the right day, when everything is clicking, he just looks like a typical modern-day NFL QB. Under center, play action... bootleg... moving the pocket to create throwing windows. 

Pocket presence: He generally shows a good feel for the pocket, and has the subtle movement and awareness needed to navigate the pocket. There are plays at times where the protection breaks down quickly, including unblocked rushers, and he's been blown up without even seeing the defender, but that's a protection issue. His ability to sense pressure, move, reset and throw is well demonstrated. He also doesn't hang in the pocket unnecessarily, and will take off and use his legs, either to run or to get outside and throw. He keeps his eyes downfield when he leaves the pocket. 7/10

Those blow ups have me really concerned, but since we don't know what the protection responsibilities were in those situations, it's probably unfair to put it on him. Still, I cringe so bad when I see a free rusher go straight at him, not even from the blind side and he just doesn't see him and gets blown up. This happened so many times this year. It's kind of crazy. In a certain way even with our pass-protection issues, we never really had THAT BAD of a problem with it. But he can navigate a pocket for the most part... as long as the pocket is not completely collapsing. 

Intangibles: Almost everything we see from him looks like the prototypical leader and performer that NFL teams like to see. He played through injury in 2022, facing stronger competition with fewer offensive weapons. He rallies his teammates on the sideline and in the huddle. He's great on the podium and in one-on-one interviews, accepting responsibility for problems and deflecting praise for successes. It appears that he takes coaching well. One area I don't feel great about is his decision to skip Kentucky's bowl game this year; this is something many prospects do, but in his case, he had an opportunity to show something against a good opponent, which is a weaker area of his resume. He also hasn't committed to the Senior Bowl yet. Both of these decisions might be related to some of his injuries in 2022, but it's not what I'd prefer to see from a guy who still has question marks. 8/10

Yeah... I have no inside info about him, but it seems like he's well liked by his teammates and coaches. He seems firey on the sidelines. Seems like a good leader. Played through injuries this year and didn't complain. Still no idea why he hasn't accepted the invite to the Senior Bowl. He should be there IMO. 

Projection: Many people have compared him to Josh Allen, and I think that's fitting, strictly from a play style/tools standpoint. Great size, big arm, mobility, toughness. Thing is, Josh Allen was a long shot to become a high level QB, due to issues with accuracy, mechanics under pressure, and ball security. Same story for Levis. He needs to be on a team with good offensive coaching, and while he can physically handle the pro game right away, he'd be better off having competition early on. Solid OL play and good receiving options will help any young QB, but we saw a significant drop off in his play from 2021 due to poor OL play and inexperienced receivers. If Levis gets drafted by a team that will be patient with him early, if he focuses on his footwork, and drills on coverages and progressions, there's no reason he can't be a long term starter for a good team. He's an older prospect, but it's still unlikely that he's reached his ceiling, and he has a ton of upside. If he lands in a bad situation, we're probably looking at Sam Darnold/Blake Bortles.

His projection is relatively easy because we've already seen him operate in an NFL-type of offense. No reason to think he cannot handle the transition in this regard. He has the physical tools and he has the athleticism to compete at this level. Now he needs refinement and good coaching to focus his talents. For me he projects as a prototypical modern-day QB, who can drop back from either shotgun or under center, make reads, make any throw you can ask of him and if need be - move outside the pocket either to run or to throw out of structure. For me the question about his ultimate success lays in the middle of that projection - the make reads from the pocket part. This will ultimately decide his success in the NFL. 

Remaining QB prospects: CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Hendon Hooker.

Can I add one more for you to look at? Jaren Hall from BYU

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

Love your breakdowns. They are a treat. IMO you are one of the most knowledgeable people here and I thoroughly enjoy readidng your detailed opinions on QBs, since for me QB is probably the hardest position to evaluate. I will add some of my thoughts below. 

Age is not ideal. In some respects I feel like he should be more polished than he is for his age AND for the coaching background he has(he's had good coaching - last 2 OCs he's had have been well regarded coaches with NFL experience - Liam Coen, who was under McVey with the Rams and Rich Scangarello, who's been QB coach in the NFL for the last 5 years...). Hard to say he's a finished product, but still... worth noting he's like 2 years older than Stroud and Young. 

Love his size and stature. He looks like an NFL QB. I might even put the grade here at 9. 

IMO his movement/athleticism is in the Luck or Herbert mold of an athlete. He's not Lamar or Hurts, but IMO he can be a real threat on the run... both with his legs and with his arm. IMO his injuries this year masked some of his explosive athleticism. 

Yep. Great arm. There is no throw that is too ambitious for him. He can throw with velocity into tight windows, he can throw with an arc outside the numbers. Opposite hash backshoulder throw - no problem. Deep outs, no problem. His throwing motion is compact and very quick. One thing I didn't see much of is change of arm angles, but it's not that big of a deal. IMO his arm is not quite Josh Allen level... but it's not that far off either. 

Yeah. there are some inconsistencies with his accuracy. I'm no mechanics expert so I defer to you here about the root causes and how fixable they are. 

I hope you are right and his mechanics can be fixed. He seems to be a dedicated worker so no doubt he will at least try to fix some of those problems. 

Yep, this has been one of my biggest worries too. Like I said above, it's not like he hasn't already had good coaching so the fact that he still has some issues with completing reads, getting stuck on reads... straight up not seeing dropping defenders down the middle... presents some questions. On the bright side - the fact that he's worked with NFL type coaching and NFL type system lets us see glimpses of what can be. Because on the right day, when everything is clicking, he just looks like a typical modern-day NFL QB. Under center, play action... bootleg... moving the pocket to create throwing windows. 

Those blow ups have me really concerned, but since we don't know what the protection responsibilities were in those situations, it's probably unfair to put it on him. Still, I cringe so bad when I see a free rusher go straight at him, not even from the blind side and he just doesn't see him and gets blown up. This happened so many times this year. It's kind of crazy. In a certain way even with our pass-protection issues, we never really had THAT BAD of a problem with it. But he can navigate a pocket for the most part... as long as the pocket is not completely collapsing. 

Yeah... I have no inside info about him, but it seems like he's well liked by his teammates and coaches. He seems firey on the sidelines. Seems like a good leader. Played through injuries this year and didn't complain. Still no idea why he hasn't accepted the invite to the Senior Bowl. He should be there IMO. 

His projection is relatively easy because we've already seen him operate in an NFL-type of offense. No reason to think he cannot handle the transition in this regard. He has the physical tools and he has the athleticism to compete at this level. Now he needs refinement and good coaching to focus his talents. For me he projects as a prototypical modern-day QB, who can drop back from either shotgun or under center, make reads, make any throw you can ask of him and if need be - move outside the pocket either to run or to throw out of structure. For me the question about his ultimate success lays in the middle of that projection - the make reads from the pocket part. This will ultimately decide his success in the NFL. 

I would love to see our next HC have Richardson and Hall to develop.

We could be in a great place at the position in a couple years. 

18 hours ago, Superman said:

If you were to give ratings based only on 2021 how would that compare to the composite score over both years?

24 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

His tools are unquestionable. Definitely raw in some areas for sure. But the thing that makes me comfortable taking him, is his work ethic and fire. This guy LOVES football. Brings that fire that this team lacks too. 

I can picture him having Luck like qualities. Very capable of throwing anywhere on the field 15 yards and beyond. We do want chunk plays.

If Ivey league teams wanted him it wasn't to raise their team GPA, so i would believe he is very bright. Hopefully bright enough, hungry enough to work to be great. lol 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I can picture him having Luck like qualities. Very capable of throwing anywhere on the field 15 yards and beyond. We do want chunk plays.

If Ivey league teams wanted him it wasn't to raise their team GPA, so i would believe he is very bright. Hopefully bright enough, hungry enough to work to be great. lol 

He is from what I know. I saw he won some academic award this past year at Kentucky.

I don't believe he is the project people are making him out too be. Football is a team sport and while yes a QB can raise a team they can't overcome every flaw. I think he can be everything Carson Wentz was supposed to be and flashed in his mvp run year. Being in a pro style offense already puts him above some other prospects. I would rather have him over Stroud, but if we are comparing him and Young then I still need to do more watching and deciding of Young. He was off my board entirely due to the belief the Texans were going to get #1 but now seeing we could trade up I have homework to do. 

• Like 3

I’d still rather trade down a few spots to around 8-10, select AR-15, and pick up an additional 2nd round pick in that trade.

The team needs talent/depth, so getting multiple second round picks to accumulate talent may be the route to go…if a targeted dude is still there in the late first round, then package the multiple seconds for that low first rounder. 

Richardson can be better than Levis. He’s bigger, faster, stronger, and has a cannon for an arm. He can break defenses down with his running ability and can stretch the field vertically with his elite arm strength.

He needs reps and a good QB coach to develop him, but his ceiling is very high.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aces101 said:

I’d still rather trade down a few spots to around 8-10, select AR-15, and pick up an additional 2nd round pick in that trade.

The team needs talent/depth, so getting multiple second round picks to accumulate talent may be the route to go…if a targeted dude is still there in the late first round, then package the multiple seconds for that low first rounder. 

Richardson can be better than Levis. He’s bigger, faster, stronger, and has a cannon for an arm. He can break defenses down with his running ability and can stretch the field vertically with his elite arm strength.

Richardson might have the highest ceiling of all the quarterbacks.   But he for sure has the lowest floor.   Might be the biggest boom or bust QB in recent history.   He is the most raw.   He had very little experience.   He has less than 1000 snaps in his three years.   That’s a tiny sample.  

The Colts are picking 4th overall, I don’t want to risk the outcome on the biggest roll of the dice gamble in this draft.  

Id be happy with Stroud or Levis.   Anyone else I think is an unnecessary risk.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Aces101 said:

You rather trade down to get a additional pick to help build roster than take a Higher ranked QB prospect???  Even after what we've been through the last four seasons of having a revolving door at the QB position???

Interesting...... :thinking:

• Like 2

I guess I don’t see Levis as the franchise defining QB that some feel he is. I hope I’m wrong! 

Being 3 years younger, I just think AR-15 surrounded by a deeper, more talented team could be better than trading up to take Levis/Stroud and depleting draft capital. 

1 minute ago, Aces101 said:

I guess I don’t see Levis as the franchise defining QB that some feel he is. I hope I’m wrong! 

Being 3 years younger, I just think AR-15 surrounded by a deeper, more talented team could be better than trading up to take Levis/Stroud and depleting draft capital. 

Imo, Draft resources and value at a certain spot shouldn't factor in on drafting a qb. The thing to do is, identify your guy and get him regardless of anything else....that is if you really believe in your guy. 

I'd be satisfied with any of the Top 4. 

I think Young may be ready sooner than others to start and he is supposedly very cerebral, which is the main quality in a QB. But his smallish frame and possible durability issues because of that may have some GM's looking elsewhere. 

Levis I think will be a starter in this league, just a question how good he may be or will he be average?

AR15 is Both exciting and  also scary to draft. He could be a Grand Slam or a strike out on three pitches. Whatever you get from him, it probably won't be right away. He's a project. 

We'll no more on the prospects In the upcoming months. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I don’t think he’s basically Jacob Eason like others have alluded to. For one thing, his work ethic from everything I’ve heard is much different in a positive way. Those close to him say he’s smart, and a hard worker. 

There is no comparison with Eason. Eason is stiff and immobile, unable to make any plays out of structure. His biggest weakness is Levis' biggest strength.

• Like 3

On 1/19/2023 at 9:20 PM, colts89 said:

Will Levis and Anthony Richardson are projects. AR has more physical upside and is a decent amount younger, while Levis has shown a bit more production, but not that much so and it's to be expected with the higher quantity of snaps he's taken. Both played in the SEC so they both had tougher sets of opponents then most.

If we trade down, I'm fine with either. I don't think either is worth the #4 pick though.

I think there's a world of difference between Levis and Richardson. I'll be revisiting Richardson soon.

On 1/20/2023 at 4:45 AM, stitches said:

I think we're on the same page on him. Will he last to #4? I think you'd be fine with drafting him there, right?

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 6:11 AM, ColtV said:

If you were to give ratings based only on 2021 how would that compare to the composite score over both years?

Noticeably higher. I think the 2021 film gives the impression of a guy for whom the sky is the limit, and the 2022 games make me wonder if he's already hit a ceiling. I don't think he has, for a variety of factors, but some of his bad plays make me cringe. Especially after watching Carson Wentz for a season... 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/20/2023 at 4:45 AM, stitches said:

You might have a point here. I think prototypical is basically 6'4"-6'5", 225-235, and he's only off of that by an inch. I think he could drop his BMI a little. Josh Allen has gotten a little doughy this year, and seems less explosive, I wouldn't be surprised if he's more like 250 now.

But my 8 for Levis might be kind of withholding. 

55 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think there's a world of difference between Levis and Richardson. I'll be revisiting Richardson soon.

I think we're on the same page on him. Will he last to #4? I think you'd be fine with drafting him there, right?

Yeah. I'd be good drafting him at 4. Will he be there? What I'm reading/hearing it seems like the Texans don't love small QBs either. So the question is - wouldn't they just draft him at 2? Should we trade to 1 for him? I'm not so sure, especially knowing what it would cost. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah. I'd be good drafting him at 4. Will he be there? What I'm reading/hearing it seems like the Texans don't love small QBs either. So the question is - wouldn't they just draft him at 2? Should we trade to 1 for him? I'm not so sure, especially knowing what it would cost. 

I think it's a waste of time trying to predict what happens at 1-3. I think if we have a guy we really like, above the others, we should secure the #1 pick. I think it's unlikely that we'd view the top three guys the same way, given how different they are. So if we love one of them, we probably need to consider them worth the #1 pick and whatever it takes to get there. 

If not, draft Hendon Hooker later in the draft, and keep your powder dry for Caleb Williams. (I might do a write-up for CW just for the heck of it.)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think it's a waste of time trying to predict what happens at 1-3. I think if we have a guy we really like, above the others, we should secure the #1 pick. I think it's unlikely that we'd view the top three guys the same way, given how different they are. So if we love one of them, we probably need to consider them worth the #1 pick and whatever it takes to get there. 

If not, draft Hendon Hooker later in the draft, and keep your powder dry for Caleb Williams. (I might do a write-up for CW just for the heck of it.)

Yep, the more I think about it the more I feel the exact same way. If you truly love any of them, you should be OK giving up what it takes to secure your guy. If you don't love any of them enough to trade to no. 1 for him. I'd be good either trading back(trying to get more powder for next year's draft) or just... get the blue chipper at DL who is likely to be there at 4(Jalen Carter/Will Anderson). And get Hooker or Jaren Hall on day 2... or Richardson if he falls far enough. 

This is especially true if Jeff Saturday is kept as HC. I really don't want us to spend big resources on a QB under the influence of a HC I don't believe in and think will fail... maybe as quick as next year. And I especially don't want us to give up next year's 1 if Saturday will be the coach. I think this 1st rounder will be golden. 

On 1/20/2023 at 8:06 PM, Aces101 said:

Levis was the only guy I would take at 4. I have switched and  I think it is Richardson. He screams a Ballard  pick and this is one I can live or die with . I think we have to consider the Mahonnes pick when Ballard was with the Chiefs.  I  could be way off base, but I think Ballard sees Richardson as his Mahonnes and a chance to  reverse his legacy as of late and get a raw  but possibly transcendent  talent. Plus I think a Richardson would  fit tis offense better with its questions at the Oline and lack of play makers. Pierce and  Campbell would benefit 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Levis was the only guy I would take at 4. I have switched and  I think it is Richardson. He screams a Ballard  pick and this is one I can live or die with . I think we have to consider the Mahonnes pick when Ballard was with the Chiefs.  I  could be way off base, but I think Ballard sees Richardson as his Mahonnes and a chance to  reverse his legacy as of late and get a raw  but possibly transcendent  talent. Plus I think a Richardson would  fit tis offense better with its questions at the Oline and lack of play makers. Pierce and  Campbell would benefit 

He screams a Ballard pick?   To me he is the anti-Ballard pick.  

Yes, he has the highest ceiling.   And he also has the lowest floor of all the QBs in this class and perhaps the last few classes.   No quarterback is a bigger risk.  How is that a Ballard pick? 

Richardson has the least experience at the position where more is better.  One season as a starter.  He has less than 1,000 career snaps. The last one season starter to go in the first round was Mitch Trubisky.   He is as raw as can be.   Likely needs a year standing on the sidelines — at least.  

The Colts may take him, but Richardson is the name I hope we do not take.  Complete  boom or bust. 

The Chiefs picked Mahomes in 2017.   In 2017 Chris Ballard was the GM of the Colts.   He was not part of the Mahomes pick. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He screams a Ballard pick?   To me he is the anti-Ballard pick.  

Yes, he has the highest ceiling.   And he also has the lowest floor of all the QBs in this class and perhaps the last few classes.   No quarterback is a bigger risk.  How is that a Ballard pick? 

Richardson has the least experience at the position where more is better.  One season as a starter.  He has less than 1,000 career snaps. The last one season starter to go in the first round was Mitch Trubisky.   He is as raw as can be.   Likely needs a year standing on the sidelines — at least.  

The Colts may take him, but Richardson is the name I hope we do not take.  Complete  boom or bust. 

The Chiefs picked Mahomes in 2017.   In 2017 Chris Ballard was the GM of the Colts.   He was not part of the Mahomes pick. 

Richardson is the... Dayo of QBs. Sans serious injury. No idea if Ballard would draft thim, but purely as physical and athletic traits Richardson is the most Ballard-like QB in this draft... IF Ballard values similar things in his QBs as he does in other positions. No idea if he does. 

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

Richardson is the... Dayo of QBs. Sans serious injury. No idea if Ballard would draft thim, but purely as physical and athletic traits Richardson is the most Ballard-like QB in this draft... IF Ballard values similar things in his QBs as he does in other positions. No idea if he does. 

except Dayo had played four years.   Richardson has only started one.  And he plays the position where experience is the most important skill. 

On 1/19/2023 at 11:36 AM, Superman said:

Thanks for doing this.  

FWIW, over at the 33rd team website, the QB they compare him to is Roethlisberger. Both took a college team with inferior talent and elevated the team to higher heights. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for doing this.  

FWIW, over at the 33rd team website, the QB they compare him to is Roethlisberger. Both took a college team with inferior talent and elevated the team to higher heights. 

I thought about making that comparison. I think young Ben was less dynamic athletically, and more mature Ben had a higher level of ability to make plays with his arm. But the "rough and tumble" style of playing and the gunslinger mentality fits. I think Bortles got compared to Roethlisberger also...

I don't think Irsays is picking AR15 at #4 or risk trading back  but I'm curious what his RAS rating is and I'm guessing its High.....and last year a High  RAS rating seemed to be prominent in ballards  picks. 

So yes, AR15 is a Ballard type pick if we go by last years draft. The thing is will irsay go along? 

I don't think so, unless they sign another veteran also like a Carr or Garrapolo while AR15 sits and learns.....and he has a lot of learning to do because of his lack of experience. 

On 1/19/2023 at 2:36 PM, Superman said:

I'd like to see your breakdown of Tanner McKee.  Only because he sticks out in the popular field of short, mobile QBs....it would be something different.  Wondering if he is more Mike Glennon than Justin Herbert...from a college tape perspective.

Man, I trust Ballard’s evaluation.  But from what I’ve seen, I’d want Stroud or Young, and I’d only settle for Levis if I’d been outmaneuvered for one of the Top-2 guys.  And Richardson as a Plan A QB his rookie year is a ticket out of Indy for Ballard…

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I'd like to see your breakdown of Tanner McKee.  Only because he sticks out in the popular field of short, mobile QBs....it would be something different.  Wondering if he is more Mike Glennon than Justin Herbert...from a college tape perspective.

You didn't ask me but I can tell you he's nothing like Herbert. Herbert is very athletic and very mobile. McKee is the polar opposite in this regard. This is his biggest weakness. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

You didn't ask me but I can tell you he's nothing like Herbert. Herbert is very athletic and very mobile. McKee is the polar opposite in this regard. This is his biggest weakness. 

I really don't see much difference when I look at the tape.  Herbert is better but at 6'6" he's not a real athletic guy either.  He's more of a straight line runner than most of these "mobile" QBs that get the athletic tag.

My comparison to Herbert was not meant to be strictly about athleticism.  I was just saying that I don't think its a liability for McKee PROVIDED he knows where the ball needs to go given the coverage diagnosis.

If he's a first read, then either improvise or take off running, yeah, he's not a good enough runner for that kind of game.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I really don't see much difference when I look at the tape.  Herbert is better but at 6'6" he's not a real athletic guy either.  He's more of a straight line runner than most of these "mobile" QBs that get the athletic tag.

I just completely disagree. Herbert is not Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson, but he's in the tier below IMO, purely athletically. McKee would be one of the least athletic QBs in the NFL when he gets drafted. 

• Like 1