Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

41 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

It's the way to go if the team determines that one quarterback is superior to others and can anchor this franchise for the next decade.

Tough to depart with that draft capitol. The Colts 2nd is a premium pick and should deliver a day one starter with a first round grade.

They will just have to supplement the  draft picks in FA. Chances are a rookie will struggle year one so as long as we are back to normal picks in 25. Or maybe we trade a player or two to get some picks back. It would be nice not giving up that 1st in 24 because it will probably be high but if that is what it takes to get a QB so be it. Hopefully we can do what Steelers did and go five hundred with a rookie. I think they went 9-8.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Am I wrong in that all of these exorbitant prices paid over the years for the 1st and 2nd pick for a non generational QB have generally been abject failures, when retrospectively analyzed?  (Note, KC’s moving up for Mahomes was much more reasonable than so many of the other moves that were only a few spots, so I don’t include that one.)

I think it would be a HUGE mistake to pay a bunch to move up from the 4 spot.  Just stay put and let the chips fall where they may.  One of the top 4 (interchangeably ranked) QB prospects will be there and there will be free agent stop gap options available as well.  I say, stay put at 4!

Nope you’re bang on it never works because it becomes almost impossible to build around that guy if you mortgage your future draft capital to get him. Look at all the best teams and QB’s in the league most of them were fell to the team that picked them in the draft or in the case if Mahomes already had a good/great team and solid QB in place to build around.

For that reason I’m firmly in the stay at 4 and take best available QB if one is there or take one of the 2 defensive studs if we have an absurd run on QB before we pick.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

For me Ballard telegraphed he was going to do this at his presser.  Potentially with the dual purpose of letting potential coaching candidates know as well.  Relationships matter with Ballard and he has them with Chicago.  He will work out a trade that he is happy with.  I’m expecting it to happen.

Good call

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i would take either of the 3 without trading up i just think a desperate team will trade with the bears for young .   texans take cj  and levis will fall to us .   i just dont wanna trade up and risk losing out on a better QB class next year .  i wanna be able to get one of the three and have insurance next year incase it doesnt work out we could have a top pick next year too . 

If we pick a QB in the first round in this draft, we definitely aren't giving up on them after a year.

2 minutes ago, colts89 said:

If we pick a QB in the first round in this draft, we definitely aren't giving up on them after a year.

it depends how they play and if they show something .      many rookies arent great the first year but the ones who turn out great show something in the way they play .     if we get a rookie and they cant move the ball at all and look completely lost  and a generational QB is coming out in the draft i have no doubt we would move on . 

For me Ballard telegraphed he was going to do this at his presser.  Potentially with the dual purpose of letting potential coaching candidates know as well.  Relationships matter with Ballard and he has them with Chicago.  He will work out a trade that he is happy with.  I’m expecting it to happen.

Another thing to keep in mind.  The Bears have the most cap space for 2023 at 106m.  They could easily absorb the cap hit for some of our star players like Leonard, Buckner or Nelson if they wanted one of them as part of a trade for the 1st pick.

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Am I wrong in that all of these exorbitant prices paid over the years for the 1st and 2nd pick for a non generational QB have generally been abject failures, when retrospectively analyzed?  (Note, KC’s moving up for Mahomes was much more reasonable than so many of the other moves that were only a few spots, so I don’t include that one.)

I think it would be a HUGE mistake to pay a bunch to move up from the 4 spot.  Just stay put and let the chips fall where they may.  One of the top 4 (interchangeably ranked) QB prospects will be there and there will be free agent stop gap options available as well.  I say, stay put at 4!

We're you still at #9-#10, then yeah, you're at a point where you would have to do something and just live with the consequences.  At #4, you might not have to, and probably shouldn't, at least not giving up a ridiculous haul for #1.  

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Another thing to keep in mind.  The Bears have the most cap space for 2023 at 106m.  They could easily absorb the cap hit for some of our star players like Leonard, Buckner or Nelson if they wanted one of them as part of a trade for the 1st pick.

We are weak enough at the Oline now. It would make no sense to trade our best offensive linemen. 

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They might might want him.  Its there choice to make.

We just traded Roquan Smith. A similar-ish tier player, making a boatload, who isn't coming off a major season ending back injury. There's not gonna be much there with Leonard. In fact, that might just upset the locker room. They would wonder why not just resign Roquan if they were gonna do all of this just to acquire Leonard in the end.

Not sure if there's history of any players being involved in these type of deals, but IIRC our GM, Poles stressed premium positions: Defensive Line, Offensive Line, and Cornerback so I would think the convo would start at Buckner, Nelson, or Moore in the unlikely event that players get dealt.

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

Meh selective memory.  I don't think he's been particularly great in crunch time the last 2 years put he was NOT TO prone for us.  That's just feeling with no basis in fact.

Matt Ryan has been a TO prone QB for about 5 or 6 years now.  but alot of people "felt" like he wasn't .

Wentz has issues as a QB but has not been a particularly TO prone guy. There really is no debate statistically.  It's just feelings.

This year, well he's on his way out.  But when he played with us he was not TO prone and hadn't been except his rookie year which everyone accepts growing pains and 2020.  He had 7 Ints in 4 different seasons 

Look, ill put it to ya like this.  Cause I've already debated Wentz and his turnovers multiple times here.  

The guy is trash.  Alright?  When 3 NFL teams say NOPE. Get him out of here, ASAP.  There's a problem.  Turnover timing matters, if people want to completely ignore that and say 27-8 is fine, no matter what, well, that's hard to have a conversation with.  

IMO, he's a talented ARM, with awful football IQ, and even worse situational awareness.  

also Nickster, what's your feeling on Levis putting mayo in his coffee. I mean, somewhere that's gotta be a crime.  What's next? He's out there eating oranges without peeling it.  Dude its too stressful. I'm in a lot of trash talk groups.  As soon as we lose with Levis the Colts are gonna get clowned causse Levis likes mayo and bananas in their entirety. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

U would have to be absolutely stupid to trade for Leonard and/or Nelson.

3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Agree I think.  Wouldn’t force it and roll the dice.  Bears aren’t taking a QB.  If someone else wants go berserk let them.  When there’s not a clear run away #1 in January, no point paying up. If haven’t differentiated months ago, just not worth that type of move

Not to make it I have an issue against Stroud specifically I hope we don’t draft him.  Historically the Colts drafting of OSU players has not been a good thing.  The players as good as they are are injury prone.  I looked back to 2003 selection of Mike Doss to be the last Buckeye who contributed with playing significant (stretching it a bit) playing time.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Look, ill put it to ya like this.  Cause I've already debated Wentz and his turnovers multiple times here.  

The guy is trash.  Alright?  When 3 NFL teams say NOPE. Get him out of here, ASAP.  There's a problem.  Turnover timing matters, if people want to completely ignore that and say 27-8 is fine, no matter what, well, that's hard to have a conversation with.  

IMO, he's a talented ARM, with awful football IQ, and even worse situational awareness.  

also Nickster, what's your feeling on Levis putting mayo in his coffee. I mean, somewhere that's gotta be a crime.  What's next? He's out there eating oranges without peeling it.  Dude its too stressful. I'm in a lot of trash talk groups.  As soon as we lose with Levis the Colts are gonna get clowned causse Levis likes mayo and bananas in their entirety. 

I wasn’t supporting Wentz.  Don’t want him.  Didn’t want him.  BUt.  He wasn’t the problem and TOs certainly weren’t the problem.

Today is the first day I actually watched Levis throw a ball.  His release is awesome.  

That’s all I know.  I’m not advocating for him or anyone else.  You probably didn’t see that earlier in the thread.  I don’t watch CFb and I don’t have any confidence in me or anyone else predicting how college QBs will project.   If a guy has an adequate arm then it comes down to the intangible facets of QBing which the GMs predict Wrongly more often than rightly.  Besides combine measurements everything in CFB is apples to oranges because of the massive talent disparity among teams.  Guys from BAMA and OSU often are worse than thought because their teams are so much better than everyone else and the guys from places like KY can be better than thought because of lesser talent around them.

The dude has an NFL arm though, that much is clear and the shortness of his motion allows him a little more time to read and react.  Whether he can do that at the next level is unclear as it is for every other guy throwing the ball in the draft. One other thing I noticed is he keeps his eyes downfield it appears.

Dude uses Mayo in his coffee?  Is that literal or code for something I ain’t aware of.  Thats friggin disgusting.

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I wasn’t supporting Wentz.  Don’t want him.  Didn’t want him.  BUt.  He wasn’t the problem and TOs certainly weren’t the problem.

Today is the first day I actually watched Levis throw a ball.  His release is awesome.  

That’s all I know.  I’m not advocating for him or anyone else.  You probably didn’t see that earlier in the thread.  I don’t watch CFb and I don’t have any confidence in me or anyone else predicting how college QBs will project.   If a guy has an adequate arm then it comes down to the intangible facets of QBing which the GMs predict Wrongly more often than rightly.  Besides combine measurements everything in CFB is apples to oranges because of the massive talent disparity among teams.  Guys from BAMA and OSU often are worse than thought because their teams are so much better than everyone else and the guys from places like KY can be better than thought because of lesser talent around them.

The dude has an NFL arm though, that much is clear and the shortness of his motion allows him a little more time to read and react.  Whether he can do that at the next level is unclear as it is for every other guy throwing the ball in the draft. One other thing I noticed is he keeps his eyes downfield it appears.

Dude uses Mayo in his coffee?  Is that literal or code for something I ain’t aware of.  Thats friggin disgusting.

go look it up dude. its wild. no coded message there. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/look-kentucky-quarterback-will-levis-drinks-his-coffee-with-mayonnaise/#:~:text=Levis was not joking%2C as,cheers" and took a sip.

^ after that, i was out on Levis. Should be completely removed from draft board. 

Eating unpeeled bananas: 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/kentucky-football/alyssa-lang-channels-will-levis-eats-banana-peel-and-all-during-kentucky-game/

9 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

lol.  Whatever floats your boat.  The banana thing is more common than you would think.   Not my cup of coffee though.

28 minutes ago, Nickster said:Today is the first day I actually watched Levis throw a ball.  His release is awesome.  

That’s all I know.  I’m not advocating for him or anyone else.  You probably didn’t see that earlier in the thread.  I don’t watch CFb and I don’t have any confidence in me or anyone else predicting how college QBs will project.  

Yep, he’s got that type of arm and technique where he just flicks it and the ball flies out. Similar to Rodgers and Allen. 

Looks like mustard pizza is a thing.

So how did mustard pizza even become a thing in the first place? “A guy came in there, he was drunk,” says Francis. “He was asking for a mushroom pizza, but slurring... They misheard him and said, ‘ok, mustard pie? Give it to him!’ They put the mustard on the pie with the tomato sauce and it was a hit.

https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipes/trenton-style-mustard-pizza

$118M

4 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Clock is ticking for CJ Stroud - he has 4 days left to declare for the draft.

If he returns to Ohio State there may be a feeding frenzy for #1.

I’m an advocate of education, but for Stroud,he has nowhere to go but down.  It would be financially fool hardy not to declare.

I would say, it’s utterly crazy land to think that the Colts would trade any of those three (Buckner, Leonard, or Nelson).  I would be utterly shocked!

Archived