Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are Colts fans afraid to say the "T" word ?

ADnum1

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thank you stitches for being making this understandable to the multitudes.
  We have wallowed post Lucky way too long not to be ready to position ourselves higher in the draft. 
It's funny not haha for posters that complain about us not paying whatever it takes to go get some hypothetical PROSPECT to think we now shouldn't prepare ourselves to do just that.
 We have a few players that wil be FA next season that should be considered available if there is a worthwhile pick to be had.
 Call it tanking if you want, it is actually just business.
 Belechick trading Richard Seymour stands out, kinda like us getting Buckner.
Roster building is very much like chess. It takes a  lot of moves.

The reason I actually kind of ... like tanking(especially in other sports and occasionally in football) is because it signifies the realization of the management of the team that the current team is not good enough and the team doesn't have a realistic path to contention with the current core. IMO in this current state of affairs for the Colts this is obvious reality and we need to be preparing for next iteration of competitive Colts football and we need to be making decisions that would maximize the chance the next iteration of Colts football is much more successful than the current one.

So what would that mean in my OPINION for the Colts:

- You need to decide whether you are riding with Ballard and Frank or not. I hate GMs on the hot seat making incredibly important decisions for the future of the team. IMO if a GM/coach is on the hot seat, he's already lost your trust and you are just looking for a final straw to make the ultimate decision. You don't want that final straw to be "well the guys that were on the hot seat traded 3 1st round picks for a QB they loved and he's no good", because then you are leaving the next GM/coach in limbo without the resources to actually start the rebuild. IMO if Irsay doesn't trust Ballard and Reich to make decisions like... should Matt Ryan be benched in the middle of the season or... should Wentz be traded after 1 year... then it's probably better for him to find another GM/HC pair that he actually trusts to make the important football decisions for this team.

- We need a franchise QB. The best way to landing a franchise QB for a team that doesn't have one is the draft. So... priority no. 1 - get a QB in the draft you think can be a franchise QB through development and gaining experience.

- Assuming this is the path chosen - every decision going forward should be aimed at finding that QB and supporting that new QB AND every move should be aimed at lifting up the team on the timeline of that new QB.

- Following from above - every vet who is either expiring and/or is not likely to continue to be great on the timeline of the new QB should be traded for future value and/or young talented players that can be part of the new iteration of Colts football. IMO huge majority of Colts vets should be included in this and none of them should be off-limit - Gilmore, Buckner, Kelly, Taylor... (this hurts me to say)... Leonard, Blackmon, Grover... ALL of them should be fair game for the right price. I can see the argument even for Q and Smith... This core had their chance to be contenders with the Colts. They failed. And if we are going with a new QB, a lot of them will be declining(maybe even retired) by the time the new guy is ready to compete - 8-9 wins do us no good right now. Convert that current value of 8-9 wins into future value to help you either get the QB you want in the draft or support the QB you get in the draft. Just... move the current value we have on the roster 3-4 years into the future.

Sorry for another long post...

2 hours ago, ColtV said:

I made a sarcastic post about it when Ehlinger was named starter but realistically "tanking" is almost impossible. 1) Players are not going to give less effort so the team can get a better draft pick. Players want to win and they want their next contract to be bigger, so they aren't doing it. 2) Almost the same thing is in play with the coaching staff. Coaches don't want to get fired, they want job security, they want promotions to coordinator or head coach. 

Really only the team owner and head of football operations can make a decision to tank and there's really only a limited amount of things even they can do. Everyone saw in the Miami situation where the fired coach immediately went after the owner for insinuating about tanking. If Ehlinger is terrible does anyone really believe he's going to start the remaining 10 games? To even attempt something like it the front office and coaching staff have to be on solid footing, and right now a lot of people don't believe they are. 

Final point about tanking. This isn't the NBA. They aren't improving their chances to move into the top 3 picks by losing. Right now you'd have to lose the remaining 10 games and hope that the other 9! teams with less than 3 wins don't do the same thing. 

Frank has likely lost his standing with Irsay. With some of the roster too.

So don't over think it. 

Frank has 3 highly paid o-lineman that are playing like they are tanking.

Let Facyson get some snaps, Hines run a few up the gut, and Frank getting outcoached and having us playing from behind, and that will deliver plenty of opportunity for us to win 5-6 games total.

46 minutes ago, stitches said:

The reason I actually kind of ... like tanking(especially in other sports and occasionally in football) is because it signifies the realization of the management of the team that the current team is not good enough and the team doesn't have a realistic path to contention with the current core. IMO in this current state of affairs for the Colts this is obvious reality and we need to be preparing for next iteration of competitive Colts football and we need to be making decisions that would maximize the chance the next iteration of Colts football is much more successful than the current one.

- You need to decide whether you are riding with Ballard and Frank or not. I hate GMs on the hot seat making incredibly important decisions for the future of the team. IMO if a GM/coach is on the hot seat, he's already lost your trust and you are just looking for a final straw to make the ultimate decision. You don't want that final straw to be "well the guys that were on the hot seat traded 3 1st round picks for a QB they loved and he's no good", because then you are leaving the next GM/coach in limbo without the resources to actually start the rebuild. IMO if Irsay doesn't trust Ballard and Reich to make decisions like... should Matt Ryan be benched in the middle of the season or... should Wentz be traded after 1 year... then it's probably better for him to find another GM/HC pair that he actually trusts to make the important football decisions for this team.

- We need a franchise QB. The best way to landing a franchise QB for a team that doesn't have one is the draft. So... priority no. 1 - get a QB in the draft you think can be a franchise QB through development and gaining experience.

- Assuming this is the path chosen - every decision going forward should be aimed at finding that QB and supporting that new QB AND every move should be aimed at lifting up the team on the timeline of that new QB.

- Following from above - every vet who is either expiring and/or is not likely to continue to be great on the timeline of the new QB should be traded for future value and/or young talented players that can be part of the new iteration of Colts football. IMO huge majority of Colts vets should be included in this and none of them should be off-limit - Gilmore, Buckner, Kelly, Taylor... (this hurts me to say)... Leonard, Blackmon, Grover... ALL of them should be fair game for the right price. I can see the argument even for Q and Smith... This core had their chance to be contenders with the Colts. They failed. And if we are going with a new QB, a lot of them will be declining(maybe even retired) by the time the new guy is ready to compete - 8-9 wins do us no good right now. Convert that current value of 8-9 wins into future value to help you either get the QB you want in the draft or support the QB you get in the draft. Just... move the current value we have on the roster 3-4 years into the future.

Irsay has said he has NO Interest in being a .500 franchise.

To me, Grover looks like the best player we have. He may be All-Pro this season. 

Kenny being traded for a G looks wise to me.

And IMO, you are again spot on. Irsay will drive this.

IMO it is clear we need a new offensive direction. Frank is dullsville!

23 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I’m talking about how much scrutiny the team went through because of that one suggestion. Around the league people think they did something wrong. I hate the word tanking because some fans just don’t understand teams don’t do that and get away with it

I concur with your conclusion as well.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:32 PM, PRnum1 said:

The T word ?  Yes TANKING.

That is the best thing for this franchise now.

Lets lose the next 10 games and go into the draft with a top 3 pick and get our QB for the next 10 years.

It does us no good to have 8-9 wins, miss the playoffs and pick around 20.

Then we would have to use picks to trade up to get our QB of the future.

We need to keep all those picks and fix the Oline and get our future QB at 3.

It makes no sense to trade all our picks, not fix the Oline and put our shiny new QB behind this horrible Oline and have him take a beating and turn into the next David Carr.

Sam will do fine, but we all know he's not a franchise QB, so let's go get one.

We only have 10 games left to lose, so lets lose them !!  We need to sacrifice and TAKE THE PAIN !!!

Whos with me ???

Its time to TANK !!!

tank GIF

the colts dont have to tank, ballards team talent level is below average

On 10/26/2022 at 1:49 PM, luckyBatistuta said:

Nope, not for me. So should every team across the NFL that starts badly, just start chucking every game, way to lose your audience. You have to give the lad a chance, not just use and abuse his life and career on a dart throw for next year. Out of interest, who is your guaranteed for the next 10 years shiny new QB that you speak of?

hooker

22 hours ago, stitches said:

you are so right

22 hours ago, stitches said:

The reason I actually kind of ... like tanking(especially in other sports and occasionally in football) is because it signifies the realization of the management of the team that the current team is not good enough and the team doesn't have a realistic path to contention with the current core.

Like you, I'm looking for the signal from the top that there's a changed direction. Maybe shutting Ryan down is the first signal, we'll see. I think changing that variable provides an opportunity to clearly evaluate the rest of the offense, and it gives the coaching staff some cover to break from their established patterns. All of that is necessary, IMO.

But the real change in course won't be obvious until after the season is over. Maybe Black Monday, but if somehow Reich and/or Ballard survive, there won't be a lot of opportunity to see a change in course until March. And no matter what, the real answer to the most important question won't be known until we see the draft. 

I am not against moving players for draft compensation, like you said, we have to reset our window. That means anyone on the roster is a potential trade piece, for the right price. I'm okay with that, it restructures the roster, frees up cap resources, and brings back value that we can use to add new players. I'm not okay with the idea of getting rid of good players so that the team loses more games, and we move up the draft board. 

But if the inclination is toward bringing in a new GM and/or HC, then these decisions are best made by the new guy(s). 

On 10/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, ColtV said:

I made a sarcastic post about it when Ehlinger was named starter but realistically "tanking" is almost impossible. 1) Players are not going to give less effort so the team can get a better draft pick. Players want to win and they want their next contract to be bigger, so they aren't doing it. 2) Almost the same thing is in play with the coaching staff. Coaches don't want to get fired, they want job security, they want promotions to coordinator or head coach. 

It is actually very easy if the owner wants to.   We've seen it recently where teams have not signed and traded their best player (Miami, Cleveland, Houston).  I agree that players do not tank but having less talented players means the talent level is less and you will lose more.   

The Colts are not tanking....yet.   Maybe if they are 4-9 or something like that we may see some player moves like a good player put on IL for a small nagging injury.  If Sam doesn't look good but the team keeps starting him anyway.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Like you, I'm looking for the signal from the top that there's a changed direction. Maybe shutting Ryan down is the first signal, we'll see. I think changing that variable provides an opportunity to clearly evaluate the rest of the offense, and it gives the coaching staff some cover to break from their established patterns. All of that is necessary, IMO.

But the real change in course won't be obvious until after the season is over. Maybe Black Monday, but if somehow Reich and/or Ballard survive, there won't be a lot of opportunity to see a change in course until March. And no matter what, the real answer to the most important question won't be known until we see the draft. 

I am not against moving players for draft compensation, like you said, we have to reset our window. That means anyone on the roster is a potential trade piece, for the right price. I'm okay with that, it restructures the roster, frees up cap resources, and brings back value that we can use to add new players. I'm not okay with the idea of getting rid of good players so that the team loses more games, and we move up the draft board. 

But if the inclination is toward bringing in a new GM and/or HC, then these decisions are best made by the new guy(s). 

100 percent. You let the new regime evaluate the talent and who they're going to keep for the foundation they build on. It limits your selection of candidates if you have a completely bare cupboard of talent. 

11 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I really wish the draft order was done more like the NBA…I don’t care for the narrative “tank for first place” when it comes to the draft. 

Which is ironic because the NBA has a tanking problem where as the NFL doesn’t because it’s so much easier to blow up a NFL team than it is a NBA team.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:04 AM, Superman said:

I agree with you that there's nothing wrong with tanking.

That said , IMO , the best way to insure the maximum number of losses would be to reinstate Ryan .as the starter.  Only problem with that is it really is too dangerous to have him play behind our OL.

4 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

I don't know about anyone else but i do not want Frank Reich to coach any of our qbs. How has it turned out so far. 

Well Andrew Luck had one of the best seasons of his career under him, Rivers did very well, Wentz had one of the best seasons of his career under Frank and Jacoby played some of the best football of his career under Frank.  The only one he truly failed with was Ryan.  Some of the other guys, most notably Wentz, failed for reasons beyond the coach but he’s gotten the most out of most of the guys he’s been given to work with other than Ryan and even that I think you can point at the line more than Reich.  

Time to tank. If Ballard is staying past this year (which he shouldn't), have a firesale and sell off as many pieces as possible. I think we know what this team is capable of, and it's a 6–7-win season right now (if that). Might as well lower that to a 4–5-win season and get some draft capital as well.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Andrew Luck had one of the best seasons of his career under him, Rivers did very well, Wentz had one of the best seasons of his career under Frank and Jacoby played some of the best football of his career under Frank.  The only one he truly failed with was Ryan.  Some of the other guys, most notably Wentz, failed for reasons beyond the coach but he’s gotten the most out of most of the guys he’s been given to work with other than Ryan and even that I think you can point at the line more than Reich.  

Why do you say that?

15 hours ago, dw49 said:

I agree with you that there's nothing wrong with tanking.

That said , IMO , the best way to insure the maximum number of losses would be to reinstate Ryan .as the starter.  Only problem with that is it really is too dangerous to have him play behind our OL.

I'm thinking you misunderstood me, or meant to quote someone else? I definitely never suggested there's nothing wrong with tanking, or trying to lose as many games as possible. 

I’m ok with trading underperformers by tomorrow evening deadline. This season is heading for .500 at best. But as for tanking for a qb, I want to see more of Sam before I buy into that idea. Unless, of course there is a Manning, Luck or Unitas available. :)

Sam looked good and the two-year change to his funky throwing motion looks like a success. And don’t underestimate the value of his intelligence. Of course Hoodie will challenge him on Sunday. I think we should try to trade a couple of olinemen tomorrow for picks and see how the rest of the year concludes.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm thinking you misunderstood me, or meant to quote someone else? I definitely never suggested there's nothing wrong with tanking, or trying to lose as many games as possible. 

Must have misread your post. Getting old....

On 10/31/2022 at 8:04 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Time to tank. If Ballard is staying past this year (which he shouldn't), have a firesale and sell off as many pieces as possible. I think we know what this team is capable of, and it's a 6–7-win season right now (if that). Might as well lower that to a 4–5-win season and get some draft capital as well.

Finally. A young man that's not afraid to say the "T" word

14 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I'm not afraid.... 

Just doubt it happens... 

But... now that Irsay lost to Snyder's team, he may be at that point now... But... then I remember "Ryan is like Manning", and "2 SBs in the next....".... 

What a mess... 

The fans that spent their money either on season tickets or pay per view deserve their team to play to the best of their ability. These coaches are coaching for their jobs. Not only for their jobs but their families stability. Tanking is for loosers with a loosers mentality.  I don't think Irsay would accept any one he is paying to tank.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:38 AM, PRnum1 said:

Tank, Tank, Tank, Tank, tankedy tank tank tank tankedy.  I am not afraid of it but it’s not happening.  Coaches and players get fired for losing so they aren’t going to do it on purpose so someone else can benefit after they replace them.  

On 11/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Young will go #1 so that isn't realistic. I think Levis is ok but Hooker is better. It depends on where we pick.

All depends on who gets that pick.  Will Anderson is viewed by many as the best player in this draft.  So say a team like the Steelers gets the top overall pick there is a good chance they go Anderson number one overall.  

I will say if you want one of the top three QBs you are going to have to have a top five draft pick if not a top three pick (depending how the draft order works out).  Also I wouldn’t hold your breath into trading into that group as there will be QB needy teams up there who probably aren’t going to want to trade or a team like the Steelers who probably isn’t going to want to pass on a guy like Will Anderson.  

We’ll see how the draft order works out.  That’s going to be huge but I honestly don’t like the Colts odds of being in position to get one of the big three QBs in this draft.  

On 10/28/2022 at 2:04 PM, Superman said:

Agree here.

But I feel the change of direction and also sense of urgency already changed this year, which means can be a final year for most on the underachieving regime...

We usually dont make moves of that urgency here:

Kicker gone - that proved to be wise

QB change - looks to test the other guys on ofense and reich coaching right?

Marcus Gone - really send a message that this personnel is not 32nd score material in this league, and we should do better

OL changes - looks less worse

I know that sucks to be on this position, but if this was my company, I would like to operate on that sense of urgency, so if is Irsay or him collegiate with Ballard, I'm onboarding with held people accountable and making changes, I would be more uninspired with the lack of change really.

And it does not matter if you made wrong choices in March, trying to correct instead of being arrongant is the right curse of action, some will be fixed now, some only next year, part of the bussiness.

6 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

Agree here.

But I feel the change of direction and also sense of urgency already changed this year, which means can be a final year for most on the underachieving regime...

We usually dont make moves of that urgency here:

Kicker gone - that proved to be wise

QB change - looks to test the other guys on ofense and reich coaching right?

Marcus Gone - really send a message that this personnel is not 32nd score material in this league, and we should do better

OL changes - looks less worse

I know that sucks to be on this position, but if this was my company, I would like to operate on that sense of urgency, so if is Irsay or him collegiate with Ballard, I'm onboarding with held people accountable and making changes, I would be more uninspired with the lack of change really.

And it does not matter if you made wrong choices in March, trying to correct instead of being arrongant is the right curse of action, some will be fixed now, some only next year, part of the bussiness.

That's all possible. My question is whether this is Reich desperately trying to save his job, or if it's actually a shift in direction from all of the main decision makers. If Reich feels like he's in trouble, and survives, then I don't know if I'm sure that he'll get fully behind all the changes that I think should be made: draft a potential franchise QB, restructure the roster, make a meaningful hire at OC (and right now I'd say the odds are if Reich survives, he just promotes Scottie Montgomery, and keeps the same structure we've had, which I don't think is going to be good for us), etc. 

And to the bolded, I especially agree. But if Reich and Ballard survive January, we won't know those answers until FA and really the draft.

I just want the Colts to be good and compete for championships. I am not rooting for the bottom to fall out so that anyone can be fired. But I have a very low level of confidence that Ballard and Reich will make the significant adjustments that I think are necessary. 

Archived