1. 1. SHOULD CHRIS BALLARD BE FIRED?

• YES
    • NO
    • GIVE HIM ANOTHER CHANCE WITH A DIFFERENT COACH NEXT YEAR

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tvturner said:

What does then? Spending every available dollar on free agents? Burning multitudes of draft picks in trades?

The draft is one of, if not the most important duties of a GM

IDK why you guys exaggerate FA spending every time it’s brought up like people are saying go out and spend crazy. People are saying that one or two guys every so often can go a long way. Signing Armstead this past offseason or Charles Leno the year before would have gone a long way.

And yes, sometimes you have to be aggressive with draft picks to be a contender. Look at the best teams over the last few years and currently and look at their moves.

Bills-Moved up for Josh Allen and traded picks to get Diggs

Chiefs-traded first round picks to get Mahomes and spent money on Matthieu. Won a Super bowl.

Rams- I don’t think I need to spell that one out for you

Eagles-Traded up for Smith and also traded a 1st for Brown.

Ravens- Traded up for Lamar Jackson

49ers-Traded for Trent Williams. Went to SuperBowl 

There’s 3 ways to acquire elite talent at premium positions. You can sign them in FA, trade for them, or draft them (including trading up in the draft). If you don’t do any of those then you will always be a middle of the pack team or worse.

14 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am not answering it again when you won’t read it anyway.

So here's what NFL.com says... when they identify GM power rank.....

"Draft record, free agency, cap management, self-scouting, coach hiring and even the public side of the job are all taken into consideration."

NFL.com ranks #12 this year. He was top 10 IIRC previous year. 

Sporting News #11

PFF #4 Roster healthiest

USA #10

NBC #11

PFN #11

So on per NFL... and reading all the ranks... 

• Draft record
    • Pretty good per most
  • free agency
    • Pretty good per most
  • cap management
    • Pretty good per most
  • self-scouting
    • Pretty good per most
  • coach hiring
    • Irsay was at min 50% part of process. And Reich was in his top 5 guys, or more... 
  • public side of the job
    • Pretty good in public

Not great (top 10), but not bad either. But top 1/3ish... 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Outside of WR, which i agree is a concern, I think we’re fine. It again is our personnel and play calling. For example: Our TEs when finally sent out, are open quite often. And when they’re not, they make the contested catches. 

It’s not fine. Ballard was actually right about WR.  You don’t make a career backup a starting LT. Pinter is not good. Ballard is too slow to react and ends up being to late.  It’s everyone. From Reich to Ballard to Irsay meddling after last season. It’s ok to say that. Funny because holder just posted this and I agree.

In my opinion barring a SuperBowl win I absolutely do not see Reich as the HC next year.

In regards to Ballard he might get a pass because “Reich” wasn’t his coach. Many keep saying Ballard has a great eye for talent but I think he is average at best. He misses just nearly as much (if not more) than he hits.

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

In my opinion barring a SuperBowl win I absolutely do not see Reich as the HC next year.

In regards to Ballard he might get a pass because “Reich” wasn’t his coach. Many keep saying Ballard has a great eye for talent but I think he is average at best. He misses just nearly as much (if not more) than he hits.

The facts are the draft is a craft shoot and most GM do have more misses then hits. But the good ones go out and get FA or make trades to fill those misses. Ballard refuses to do so. There is so much more to bring a good GM them drafting. 

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

So Ballard isn't a good GM because he doesn't spend like everyone wants him to and he let Autry go?

Come on. Detractors think he’s an average at best GM because his record is average (.500) and the Colts haven’t won any division titles under him, and there’s not much to get excited about because we still don’t have a long term answer at QB or any young studs at LT, DE, CB or WR (perhaps Pitt but lacks game breaking ability) — the positions most believe to be most important in today’s NFL. And Ballard has proven stubborn and inflexible in how he acquires talent, along with overpaying at certain positions. And in my opinion he’s arrogant as hell, for no good reason. That’s why people think he’s average. 

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

So far we have voted for Reich with an overwhelming majority voting yes. How do we feel about our General Manager and his roster?

When did the Reich vote happen?

I would get rid of him along with 3/5s of the O-line and redraft O-linemen next time around.

20 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s not fine. Ballard was actually right about WR.  You don’t make a career backup a starting LT. Pinter is not good. Ballard is too slow to react and ends up being to late.  It’s everyone. From Reich to Ballard to Irsay meddling after last season. It’s ok to say that. Funny because holder just posted this and I agree.

Awesome...

Holder... The president of the Excuse Club.

Now hedging his bet... Trying to spread blame (thinly enough, so no player or coach gets mad at him)...

While deflecting fan questions...., while they drag him.

And won't reply to on anything about Reich lol... 

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Simply beccause Reich has been so bad at calling plays, im almost interested in what another play caller can do with this same roster. would we feel different if the players were being used better?

Not only play-calling but also "team preparation". The team never seems ready to play from the opening whistle.

If you can't call plays and can't prepare the team, what good are you as head coach? ...not at all.

Regardless of wanting to keep the guy, Reich is NOT a good head coach.

Should Ballard be fired? Should we blow up the team? Since 2017(Ballards first year) through 2021 The Colts have 42 wins, the defending afc champion Bengals have 29. Through 2020 it's 19 for the Bengals 33 for Indy. So, after 4 straight lackluster years that totaled 19 wins the Bengals kept plugging away and boom suddenly made it to the sb, Mike Brown finally got there in his 30th year of ownership. Again I don't see where the Colts gm is that deficient. Imagine the explosion on here if we had 4 straight years of 5 wins each and the gm drafts a qb like Mitch Trubisky with the 2nd pick in the draft! WHOA!! Remember 2011 when we won 2 games with basically a non nfl qb( how could Polian really think Painter belonged on the field??????) That's not going to happen this year.

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

Should Ballard be fired? Should we blow up the team? Since 2017(Ballards first year) through 2021 The Colts have 42 wins, the defending afc champion Bengals have 29. Through 2020 it's 19 for the Bengals 33 for Indy. So, after 4 straight lackluster years that totaled 19 wins the Bengals kept plugging away and boom suddenly made it to the sb, Mike Brown finally got there in his 30th year of ownership. Again I don't see where the Colts gm is that deficient. Imagine the explosion on here if we had 4 straight years of 5 wins each and the gm drafts a qb like Mitch Trubisky with the 2nd pick in the draft! WHOA!! Remember 2011 when we won 2 games with basically a non nfl qb( how could Polian really think Painter belonged on the field??????) That's not going to happen this year.

So we should stick with him because he is mediocre and average. Should we want more.

I dont know ive been a Ballard supporter but my opinions have changed this season. He has a good eye for talent but he has failed to provide the necessary talent at the most premium positions. QB, WR, LT and Pass Rush. He has paid all of his salary cap in a G, LB, C, RT and a defensive line that doesn't get enough pressure. 

QB has been a bomb since Luck minus one good season with Rivers. LT has been a disaster since AC retired. Pittman has been great and Pierce looks like he may be a keeper but its taken 5 years and nearly every poster here has at some point in time referred to how bad our wide outs are. Pass rush numbers have been bottom 10 in the league the entire Ballard era. 

So as much as I like his talent evaluation, he is not valuing the right positions. He is stubborn also in the fact that he wants to hold on to and pay all "his guys". Even if they are a LB and a G that are just not premium positions. 

I voted no….I honestly feel like the talent is there. It’s the schemes that are bad, as well as the O-line regressing. Pierce has been flashing, Woods has flashed (rare for rookie TEs, let alone non 1st round pick TEs)

I think Autry was the one bad miss by not resigning him. 

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Awesome...

Holder... The president of the Excuse Club.

Now hedging his bet... Trying to spread blame (thinly enough, so no player or coach gets mad at him)...

While deflecting fan questions...., while they drag him.

And won't reply to on anything about Reich lol... 

Yeah...well said and agree 100%. Stephen Holder is a good beat writer but in no position to be taken seriously for objective analysis. 

Who would do a better job? Where in the nfl has a gm lit the league on fire? If you get a once in a generation qb you look good. But at the same time you have to get VERY lucky, because "Generational" qbs mask a lot of problems and weaknesses. I would love to see the Colts win the sb every year, but it's not going to happen. The second half of todays game was incredible, why did the first half suck so bad. I remember when Pagano was coach the complaining and whining was the same-Chuck needs to go. So, we've had 2 consecutive coaches that aren't good enough, don't know what they are doing, can't do this , can't do that blah blah blah. I don't have the answers but I do know there isn't anyone available who would do a better job than Ballard and that can probably be said for Reich also.

Just now, SR711 said:

Yeah...well said and agree 100%. Stephen Holder is a good beat writer but in no position to be taken seriously for objective analysis. 

IMO, he's been 100% a parrot for the FO years. 

Goes out of his way to keep access (nothing obvious/critical)

Wouldn't say good beat writer if he can't be objective or critical. 

5 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Who would do a better job? Where in the nfl has a gm lit the league on fire? If you get a once in a generation qb you look good. But at the same time you have to get VERY lucky, because "Generational" qbs mask a lot of problems and weaknesses. I would love to see the Colts win the sb every year, but it's not going to happen. The second half of todays game was incredible, why did the first half suck so bad. I remember when Pagano was coach the complaining and whining was the same-Chuck needs to go. So, we've had 2 consecutive coaches that aren't good enough, don't know what they are doing, can't do this , can't do that blah blah blah. I don't have the answers but I do know there isn't anyone available who would do a better job than Ballard and that can probably be said for Reich also.

There is definitely a better GM out there.

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Who

Won’t know till we try. It’s about doing a thorough interview process and taking a chance. The guys who are proven are with other teams and likely not going anywhere. There is no proven/safe hire ever in any business. Every person hired regardless of experience and skills is a risk. That’s life.

You can’t stay in a bad relationship with a significant other because the next person might be worse. You have to try.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

When did the Reich vote happen?

I would get rid of him along with 3/5s of the O-line and redraft O-linemen next time around.

its listed as POLL: SHOULD FRANK REICH BE FIRED?

46 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Won’t know till we try. It’s about doing a thorough interview process and taking a chance. The guys who are proven are with other teams and likely not going anywhere. There is no proven/safe hire ever in any business. Every person hired regardless of experience and skills is a risk. That’s life.

You can’t stay in a bad relationship with a significant other because the next person might be worse. You have to try.

You also don't leave a good relationship because you think you can do better. The problem is that he is a good GM and what if you do those interviews and realize there isn't anyone better, because his draft record is actually been very good.

Sometimes the grass isn't always greener.

Look I love frank as a person and as a leader. But the lack of use of players like Campbell and Hines is ludicrous! I don’t see why Hines should ever come off the field! I’ve always stood up for frank but maybe it’s time to see what these guys can do under different leadership. In my opinion we deserve to be 0-4. I understand this is about Ballard but I think the problem here is frank.

3 hours ago, tvturner said:

1. I love the 20/20 hindsight.

2. When has a true franchise QB ever been in reach? None in 2022. Lawrence is the only one from 2021. You're not jumping for Herbert in 2020. 2019's class was poor.

3. Which big fish did you want Ballard to trade for? Big spending in free agency does not equate to team wins, look at the Jaguars $1B spending spree

4. Autry is one of the only FA that Ballard has let leave that has produced on another team

They should have absolutely traded up to get Tua or Herbert. Luck retired and we went through the season with Brissett and signed him to that dumb extension. I still do not understand why obtaining a franchise QB was not priority number one. Yes, it would cost two #1s and probably a 3rd, maybe 2nd. We had the OL and bridge QB to bring in a rookie.  You go get a franchise QB.

If it works you are planning a strategy to make a SB. If it doesn’t you are exactly where we are now. Thinking we could win with Rivers was ridiculous and sent us down this road of retread QBs that is going nowhere. That was the moment that wrecked this franchise for 5-7 years. I believe that was mainly Reich and Irsay’s doing but that is just my gut feeling

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

There is also something to be said about getting the right kid of players who work well together. That goes beyond talent and coaching too. Ballard just hasn’t produced that right mix of players.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

"Draft record, free agency, cap management, self-scouting, coach hiring and even the public side of the job are all taken into consideration."

Sporting News #11

PFF #4 Roster healthiest

USA #10

NBC #11

PFN #11

• Draft record
    • Pretty good per most
  • free agency
    • Pretty good per most
  • cap management
    • Pretty good per most
  • self-scouting
    • Pretty good per most
  • coach hiring
    • Irsay was at min 50% part of process. And Reich was in his top 5 guys, or more... 
  • public side of the job
    • Pretty good in public

So @TaylorTheStudMuffin you are willing to move on from a GM that is consistent top 1/3 of the league for an unknown GM who will most likely not be as good.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Sporting News #11

PFF #4 Roster healthiest

USA #10

NBC #11

PFN #11

• Draft record
    • Pretty good per most
  • free agency
    • Pretty good per most
  • cap management
    • Pretty good per most
  • self-scouting
    • Pretty good per most
  • coach hiring
  • public side of the job
    • Pretty good in public

But what's his record?  U know wins and losses. Play off appearances and superbowls. That's how I measure it. 

Archived