1. 1. SHOULD CHRIS BALLARD BE FIRED?

• YES
    • NO
    • GIVE HIM ANOTHER CHANCE WITH A DIFFERENT COACH NEXT YEAR

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I think in order to save Ballard and Reichs job, they need to take play calling away. 

hopefully it happens but i dont see it.. maybe they can use the narrative that reich needs to focus on the whole team... who knows.

when they brought gus and fox in, it kind of already pointed to the fact Reich wasn't doing enough overall for the team, otherwise, why would they need a defensive consultant who doesn't even prefer a 4-3 himself? Fox ran a 3-4. Combine that with the fact that if Reich is so good at offensive schemes, he should be hand in hand with the D coordinator to make sure we are defending the opponent's scheme. doesn't seem to be that way. maybe eberflus was covering some of Reichs deficiency with team lead overall. 

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Playing well besides the fumbles???? He has 10 fumbles!!!!!

right,, which is not normal for him, or any QB really.. which points to other problems. if you can't follow that, i can't explain it any other way. 

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Eh, in my mind we are lacking at QB, LT, WR and Edge. 

When you preach win-now-mode you don’t draft guys who need 2-3 seasons of development - that’s entirely on Ballard. 

He hasn’t really done anything at QB in my opinion. 
  Rivers was done - that’s why the Chargers went after Herbert. 
  There were SEVERAL rumours coming out of Philly about Wentz about his short-colings. 
  When a franchise wants to move on from a QB by making a MAJOR move for another QB, he’s not going to be a franchise saviour - Ryan is ALSO a bandaid. 

AC was signaling he wanted to retire for a long time and Ballard replaced him with a LT coming of an achilles injury. 

There are several more examples, but it can generally be summed up to Ballard replacing production with potential. You don’t build a roster based on hope. 

What did you guys expect? Did yall actually not believe that this would be our reality after Luck retired? Dude set us back...hard. Really hard. Parris Campbell falling apart in the league hurt us. Doyle retiring hurt the run game more than people realize. We lost our DC for a head coaching position. Leonard's body is beginning to fall apart. Our starting SS retired in his prime and our starting FS cant stay healthy. Basically any time Ballard fills a roster hole, 2 more open up. If Luck retires a year sooner we don't draft a $20M LG at #6, instead we get Josh Allen. Just another example of the situation he put us in.

20 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I still think Ballard is an open and honest guy, and a pretty good judge of talent.  But too many of his decisions have gone bad, and those kinds of things have repercussions.  There's a price to be paid here, regardless of how much you are respected.

I agree , I would say that yes replacing a franchise QB and LT back to back will put you in purgatory cause you will be ok at some positions but not bad enough to get a top Qb but not good enough to carry a over the hill one. I will say Ballard would be good for a team that is good where u have a stable qb and can draft for potential. But as the colts are now we will never be good until we stabilize the QB position but unfortunately frank for sure and maybe Ballard will not be the ones to do it. I can’t see frank coming back after this year unless he does his normal stuff and we go 7–9-1 or 8-8-1 and finish hot and irsay gets fooled again. It’s been what 5-6 years we know what Frank is at this point never prepared, can only win when there is not pressure to win,

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What did you guys expect? Did yall actually not believe that this would be our reality after Luck retired? Dude set us back...hard. Really hard. Parris Campbell falling apart in the league hurt us. Doyle retiring hurt the run game more than people realize. We lost our DC for a head coaching position. Leonard's body is beginning to fall apart. Our starting SS retired in his prime and our starting FS cant stay healthy. Basically any time Ballard fills a roster hole, 2 more open up. If Luck retires a year sooner we don't draft a $20M LG at #6, instead we get Josh Allen. Just another example of the situation he put us in.

Don't you think its been long enough without Luck to not blame Luck?

6 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Don't you think its been long enough without Luck to not blame Luck?

Uhh.. no. This was always gonna be about a 10yr set back. We just spent our 6th pick on a LG for him & our 2nd rounder on a RT, just for them to block for journeymen. The roster was built up too good at the time of his retirement. The only options were to blow it up completely or ride it out with rentals. Landing another franchise QB right away just wasn't gonna happen when we're drafting in the early 20s. We would have to trade 3 1sts away just to have a shot to draft a franchise prospect, and no GM wants to do that.

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Uhh.. no. This was always gonna be about a 10yr set back. We just spent our 6th pick on a LG for him & our 2nd rounder on a RT, just for them to block for journeymen. The roster was built up too good at the time of his retirement. The only options were to blow it up completely or ride it out with rentals. Landing another franchise QB right away just wasn't gonna happen when we're drafting in the early 20s. We would have to trade 3 1sts away just to have a shot to draft a franchise prospect, and no GM wants to do that.

so he couldn't get a QB with the first rounder he spent on Buck or Wentz?

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Nope. I am learning bout football and lots to learn there is. I think thr naked eye can see Ryan and thr Oline are not playing well.

General scheme - run + short passes, same stuff over and over (predictable)

RB "interchangeable" - he sees (or did) JT and Hines are same. They are not lol...

Multiples - meaning each WR has to play from any position, lining up anywhere. All know routes, all must block. 

OL scheme - complex zone, lots cute pulls, movement, etc.. 

Now ponder those things above. And ask...

1. does heavy doses of shallow stuff, that's predictable....
    • does it make it easy for Ds, or harder (can defend shallow area)
    • does that make it easier or harder for OL (Ds know what we are doing)
    • does that make it easier or harder for RBs (most D, including DBs, even Ss, 0-10 yards)
    • does that make it easier or harder for WR/TEs to get separation (given most D is 0-10 yards)
    • does that make it easier or harder for QBs to find open passing lanes (when Ds are shallow)
  2. If RBs seen as interchangeable...
    • Is it smart to use Hines running up middle, or with short yardage downs, or near the goal line? Or is JT the best option... 
  3. If WRs have to be able to play all positions, all routes, blocking... etc.. similar to RB interchangeable attitude...
    • Do you think it's smart to use slow or slower WRs/TEs on go-routes (9) or clear outs?
    • Is it smart to use small guys in shallow possession routes, instead of speed routes, or in space?
    • Is it smart to use rooks in routes they have experience in, or in routes they didn't run before?
    • If a guy who is lining up wide near the sideline, do you really care about blocking?
    • Do you use the same guy, or few guys, as 1st read almost play, or do you mix things?

8 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

so he couldn't get a QB with the first rounder he spent on Buck or Wentz?

The 2022 draft was a historically awful QB class. We would've had the 14th pick in 2020... the only QB left on the board was Jordan Love.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

General scheme - run + short passes, same stuff over and over (predictable)

RB "interchangeable" - he sees (or did) JT and Hines are same. They are not lol...

Multiples - meaning each WR has to play from any position, lining up anywhere. All know routes, all must block. 

OL scheme - complex zone, lots cute pulls, movement, etc.. 

Now ponder those things above. And ask...

1. does heavy doses of shallow stuff, that's predictable....
    • does it make it easy for Ds, or harder (can defend shallow area)
    • does that make it easier or harder for OL (Ds know what we are doing)
    • does that make it easier or harder for RBs (most D, including DBs, even Ss, 0-10 yards)
    • does that make it easier or harder for WR/TEs to get separation (given most D is 0-10 yards)
    • does that make it easier or harder for QBs to find open passing lanes (when Ds are shallow)
  2. If RBs seen as interchangeable...
    • Is it smart to use Hines running up middle, or with short yardage downs, or near the goal line? Or is JT the best option... 
  3. If WRs have to be able to play all positions, all routes, blocking... etc.. similar to RB interchangeable attitude...
    • Do you think it's smart to use slow or slower WRs/TEs on go-routes (9) or clear outs?
    • Is it smart to use small guys in shallow possession routes, instead of speed routes, or in space?
    • Is it smart to use rooks in routes they have experience in, or in routes they didn't run before?
    • If a guy who is lining up wide near the sideline, do you really care about blocking?
    • Do you use the same guy, or few guys, as 1st read almost play, or do you mix things?

So let me ask u a question. Where do u think this team is with a competent play caller? 

If Ballard gets fired, there's gonna be a ton of NFL teams at his doorstep.

Reich and members of the coaching staff should be gone after the year. It's been multiple seasons of bad playcalling..

He's had his pick at QB twice in Rivers and Wentz.

This team rarely ever shows up for a full four quarters.

Ballard's taken 2 QBs in late rounds and if anyone thinks they were potential starters on this team are fooling themselves.

I'd like to see him get his choice at HC and see how it plays out.

This team has a ways to go to compete with Mahomes, Herbert, and Allen's teams

Just now, tvturner said:

If Ballard gets fired, there's gonna be a ton of NFL teams at his doorstep.

Reich and members of the coaching staff should be gone after the year. It's been multiple seasons of bad playcalling..

He's had his pick at QB twice in Rivers and Wentz.

This team rarely ever shows up for a full four quarters.

Ballard's taken 2 QBs in late rounds and if anyone thinks they were potential starters on this team are fooling themselves.

I'd like to see him get his choice at HC and see how it plays out.

This team has a ways to go to compete with Mahomes, Herbert, and Allen's teams

He has had 6 years and his team is getting worse.

I say yes. The handling of the LT situation coming into the season and the arrogance alongside it was a turnoff. You can't trust a career backup or a 3rd round project(Who very well may be good in the long run) to be a starting LT on a division winner.

He's never been aggressive enough to win big and his career record shows that. We could've had Yanick two years ago for a 6th round pick. He would've helped that 2020 team that was severely lacking in the pass rushing category. Will he ever demand Frank to mix it up? He's drafted talented players over the years and I know he sees them being misused. He lacks fire and a sense of urgency.

Yes. First of all we know that it’s usually better to tie the HC and GM together. Having a lame duck GM is just as bad as having a lame duck HC.

Aside from that my other reasons are

-Has not been able to hit on the premium positions of QB, LT, DE, and WR. Although Pittman is good he passed on AJ Brown, McLauren, and DK Metcalf.

- The blatant refusal to draft a franchise QB is inexcusable. 5 diff starting QBs in his tenure. Overall he’s not a good QB talent evaluator

-He’s entirely too passive when it comes to roster building. No big trades for players at premium positions besides Buckner, never signs big FAs, and never moves up in the 1st round of the draft.

-Continues to have a trend of letting talented players walk in FA but their replacements are always downgrades. Walker to Okereke, Autry to Turray, AQ, Paye, etc.. and Glowinski to Pinter

-Drafting strategy has very clear flaws. Results in hitting on a lot of non-premium positions but better players are constantly passed over because they don’t check the “boxes”.

-Starting to show signs of favoritism as there doesn’t seem to be an attempt to bring in real competition at open spots as his “guys” are essentially handed jobs. 
-Seems to have an obsession with only running a specific defensive scheme which really should be at the head coaches discretion.

-Extends players that really don’t need to be extended instead of using the money for better FAs

-Does not seem to realize that if you don’t hit on certain positions in the draft, you’re supposed to supplement the roster with FAs. Instead over relies on late round picks an UDFA’s which creates big depth issues.

-And finally, has a reluctance to change anything about his strategy despite there being enough examples of it failing. His stubbornness and unwillingness to change or even just adapt has lead to the team being basically the same during his tenure. The Colts haven’t made any significant progress as an organization in 6 years.

47 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

im not gonna get into this with you, it is the overwhelming majority on this forum that believe reich is bad and predictable,. someone else might debate it with you, i won't it's too obvious. 

I really don’t weigh the opinions of fans as heavily as those who have earned their positions in an NFL organization.
  It’s not that fans aren’t intelligent or capable of assessing the job that a player, coach or GM is doing but from the comments I’ve read, their not very objective. They ( including myself) don’t know the details of what broke down on a particular play.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He has had 6 years and his team is getting worse.

Would've been in the playoffs if your favorite Wentz didn't have one of the worst QB performances in history against the Jaguars.

Or missed a wide open score to Hilton to burn the Raiders.

The team's getting worse because Reich is #notgood

I voted no. Who would be a better gm? the guy from Chicago who traded up for Trubisky, that worked so well 3 years later he traded up for Fields. How about the Jet gm Ballard fleeced when he made the trade to draft Q and the Jets took Darnold?????  How about the Cardinal gm, First Rosen and now Murray. The brilliant gm in Seattle. The list is a mile long of gms in the nfl who have been ridiculously bad in the same time frame that Ballard has been here. I'll stay with Ballard, we are, quite frankly, very fortunate!!!

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Colts and media were selling ocean front property... Many fans now have deeds in North Dakota. 

I remember the first big sale... "the QB whisperer".... 

Let me also ask u another question. This team almost made the play offs which I think we can all agree with limited qb play. It was same Frank and same play calling.  This team was suppose to be better with all the additions but they look like a train wreck. Why the big thud this year??

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We should have kept Wentz, he is dominating at 1-3. 

I think Reich is a poor play caller and he’s obviously not preparing his players well enough or getting his other coaches to plan better. And I also think Ballard’s approach to team building is flawed. He’s going the Dallas route on offense and the Seattle route on defense. It’s not working. Just like Dallas, we have an overpaid line with players now starting to age and accumulate injuries. And the Seattle defense crumbled after 3-4 good seasons. It’s not sustainable what we’re doing. Everything has to change. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

-Has not been able to hit on the premium positions of QB, LT, DE, and WR. Although Pittman is good he passed on AJ Brown, McLauren, and DK Metcalf.

- The blatant refusal to draft a franchise QB is inexcusable. 5 diff starting QBs in his tenure. Overall he’s not a good QB talent evaluator

-He’s entirely too passive when it comes to roster building. No big trades for players at premium positions besides Buckner, never signs big FAs, and never moves up in the 1st round of the draft.

-Continues to have a trend of letting talented players walk in FA but their replacements are always downgrades. Walker to Okereke, Autry to Turray, AQ, Paye, etc.. and Glowinski to Pinter

1. I love the 20/20 hindsight.

2. When has a true franchise QB ever been in reach? None in 2022. Lawrence is the only one from 2021. You're not jumping for Herbert in 2020. 2019's class was poor.

3. Which big fish did you want Ballard to trade for? Big spending in free agency does not equate to team wins, look at the Jaguars $1B spending spree

4. Autry is one of the only FA that Ballard has let leave that has produced on another team

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I think Reich is a poor play caller and he’s obviously not preparing his players well enough or getting his other coaches to plan better. And I also think Ballard’s approach to team building is flawed. He’s going the Dallas route on offense and the Seattle route on defense. It’s not working. Just like Dallas, we have an overpaid line with players now starting to age and accumulate injuries. And the Seattle defense crumbled after 3-4 good seasons. It’s not sustainable what we’re doing. Everything has to change. 

That was a perfect pass to Diggs, he was wide open lmao full homer simpson GIF

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

1. I love the 20/20 hindsight.

2. When has a true franchise QB ever been in reach? None in 2022. Lawrence is the only one from 2021. You're not jumping for Herbert in 2020. 2019's class was poor.

3. Which big fish did you want Ballard to trade for? Big spending in free agency does not equate to team wins, look at the Jaguars $1B spending spree

4. Autry is one of the only FA that Ballard has let leave that has produced on another team

Sell me on Ballard. Go by each player and tell me why they were a good pick.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If u  this Oline played like it was suppose based on assets where do u think they would be,?

Strausser sucks (coaching, in general). OL was better under DeGug.

Strausser's scheme is too cute (too complex, too much moving parts). 

If we simplified, and played more man/power, they would look better. 

I would like to have Ballard with another HC because week after week same talent on field play horrible first half and then miraculously much better team second half. I mean same players played well against top team like KC but today they play like high school team both on O and D first half but then played amazing 2nd half. So, should Ballard be blamed for that? 

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Let me also ask u another question. This team almost made the play offs which I think we can all agree with limited qb play. It was same Frank and same play calling.  This team was suppose to be better with all the additions but they look like a train wreck. Why the big thud this year??

Frank is the thud.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Now that we totally agree on. There is something very wrong with this Oline to be playing this  poorly. I thought that was their biggest mistake in firing him as the guys seemed to love him. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

Frank is the thud.

Lol....

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I really think they need to fire Strausser. Start there and se what happens

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Now that we totally agree on. There is something very wrong with this Oline to be playing this  poorly. I thought that was their biggest mistake in firing him as the guys seemed to love him. 

Lol....

Watched tonight Bill B make real time changes (to help his OL), and NE is tied on the road vs GB.... with 3rd string QB... 

Bill plays chess, and plays well.

Reich and Strausser play....

viJqW25.gif?noredirect

Archived