190 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD CHRIS BALLARD BE FIRED?

• YES
    • NO
    • GIVE HIM ANOTHER CHANCE WITH A DIFFERENT COACH NEXT YEAR

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what irks me? The fact that grown adult men apparently need their offensive line coach to motivate them and scheme them to play better… The fact that they suddenly suck after a coach gets fired… They really need someone to remind them to play hard for a sport they love? 

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sell me on Ballard. Go by each player and tell me why they were a good pick.

2022 class has looked promising

2021 class has Kwity and Dayo who have both looked much better this year. Fries and Strachan in the 7th.

2020 has an All Pro player in JT and MPJ who is well on his way to being a WR1. Blackmon in R3, he's shown flashes, he should be starting at SS. Pinter in R5, Rodgers in R6, and Glasgow in R6

2019's class was pretty poor. The three 2nds in Rock, Banogu, and Campbell were all misses. Okereke and Speed in the later rounds

2018's brought All Pros in Leonard and Q. Tyquan and Hines in R2 and 4. Adams and Franklin in 7

2017's only bright spot is Grover Stewart, whose played like the best NT in the league.

Yes he's absolutely had misses, yes some of these positions aren't the "winning" positions but he's a good talent evaluator imo.

Everybody wants that franchise QB but they've never been in position to jump anyone for the guy. 

Yes it's been 6 years but this roster was absolutelt devoid of talent everywhere when he took over

Luck masked so many issues that his teams had

2 minutes ago, tvturner said:

2021 class has Kwity and Dayo who have both looked much better this year. Fries and Strachan in the 7th.

2020 has an All Pro player in JT and MPJ who is well on his way to being a WR1. Blackmon in R3, he's shown flashes, he should be starting at SS. Pinter in R5, Rodgers in R6, and Glasgow in R6

2019's class was pretty poor. The three 2nds in Rock, Banogu, and Campbell were all misses. Okereke and Speed in the later rounds

2018's brought All Pros in Leonard and Q. Tyquan and Hines in R2 and 4. Adams and Franklin in 7

2017's only bright spot is Grover Stewart, whose played like the best NT in the league.

Yes he's absolutely had misses, yes some of these positions aren't the "winning" positions but he's a good talent evaluator imo.

Everybody wants that franchise QB but they've never been in position to jump anyone for the guy. 

Drafting well doesn’t make you a good GM.

32 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

so he couldn't get a QB with the first rounder he spent on Buck or Wentz?

Difficult.  Not impossible, but difficult.

Both the Dolphins and the Chargers were intent on getting QB's in the 2020 draft.  The Bengals took Joe Burrow at #1.  Dolphins took Tua at #5, and the Chargers took Herbert at #6.  We would have had to give up our #13, at least a future 1st round (which we spent on Wentz anyway), and probably more.  And even then, we probably would have had to trade with the Giants at #4 to get in front of both the Dolphins and the Chargers, who probably wouldn't have traded down, due to their own QB desires.

Not impossible.  But it would have cost us a LOT to do it.  Ballard chose to go with Rivers, and trade the #13 for Buckner.

And it wasn't a bad idea, either, in the short run.  We went 11-5 that year, and barely lost in the playoffs to the Bills.

But the long term repercussions didn't help us.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Drafting well doesn’t make you a good GM.

What does then? Spending every available dollar on free agents? Burning multitudes of draft picks in trades?

The draft is one of, if not the most important duties of a GM

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

What does then? Spending every available dollar on free agents? Burning multitudes of draft picks in trades?

The draft is one of, if not the most important duties of a GM

There has to be a balance. When you feel you have a good foundation you have to fill in with good FA. Not old washed up ones who are cheap. Especially when Ballard has missed on DE like he has.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

There has to be a balance. When you feel you have a good foundation you have to fill in with good FA. Not old washed up ones who are cheap. Especially when Ballard has missed on DE like he has.

The majority of teams that have spent big in free agency have not had the playoff success they probably wanted

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I never said it had to be a lot of FA. But you have to fill in the most important spots. Like DE.  Ballard thought he was so smart  letting Autry go.

So Ballard isn't a good GM because he doesn't spend like everyone wants him to and he let Autry go?

Ballard hasn’t been perfect. I’d prefer let him have a chance with a new coach. 

Frank on the other hand should have been stripped of play calling duties this year & possibly he could have gotten this team prepared to play football. He can’t be fired soon enough.

8 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ballard hasn’t been perfect. I’d prefer let him have a chance with a new coach. 

Frank on the other hand should have been stripped of play calling duties this year & possibly he could have gotten this team prepared to play football. He can’t be fired soon enough.

He has had six years and he keeps doing the same things. Your not changing him. Do you really trust him to find the next QB or coach.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He has had six years and he keeps doing the same things. Your not changing him. Do you really trust him to find the next QB or coach.

Well, I trust him more that I trust Frank. Yes I believe he could find a good coach & good QB.

What I’m not sure about is if he would change his philosophy on team building, or defensive scheme. 

Hey, if Irsay wants to fire both, his call. At this point, both would be justified.

55 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Yes it's been 6 years but this roster was absolutelt devoid of talent everywhere when he took over

Luck masked so many issues that his teams had

So with all the talent Ballard is still batting below 500.

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

So far we have voted for Reich with an overwhelming majority voting yes. How do we feel about our General Manager and his roster?

No. I think we have the talent to win and be contenders. In fact, we’ve flashed that at times. The mistakes, the questionable play calls, the personnel rotations, the oh well attitude comes from the head coach.

Ballard needs to end this Reich and pick someone else’s 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So with all the talent Ballard is still batting below 500.

See above^ 

give me two years with a different coach and I bet Ballard has this team up there with the best of the best

So Ballard has had 6 years. Other than the 14 years we had Peyton Manning this is the best 6 year stretch of the past 52 years. Look it up, and 2 of Ballards 6 years were with Brissett at qb(combined 11-21 record). And when he started he was handed a roster that other than Andrew Luck was not very good. I guess there is one thing I can fault Ballard for- he didn't draft Cooper Rush(that's a joke people).

Just now, csmopar said:

No. I think we have the talent to win and be contenders. In fact, we’ve flashed that at times. The mistakes, the questionable play calls, the personnel rotations, the oh well attitude comes from the head coach.

Ballard needs to end this Reich and pick someone else’s 

See above^ 

Some of you that can’t see the mistakes Ballard has made always astound me.

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

1. I love the 20/20 hindsight.

2. When has a true franchise QB ever been in reach? None in 2022. Lawrence is the only one from 2021. You're not jumping for Herbert in 2020. 2019's class was poor.

3. Which big fish did you want Ballard to trade for? Big spending in free agency does not equate to team wins, look at the Jaguars $1B spending spree

4. Autry is one of the only FA that Ballard has let leave that has produced on another team

He hasn’t tried to even land a QB though. The Lions GM said in 2020 that they were willing to move back. At worse the Chargers may have traded up to 2 but we would have ended up with Tua. 2021 there were several QBs. Lawrence and Wilson were probably Locks but we could have gone up for Lance, Jones, or Wilson. Jordan Love as well. Jury is still out on all those guys but you have to at least try and land a franchise QB. What’s the alternative if we’re not going to be aggressive and trade up? How exactly is this team supposed to get a franchise QB? Wait till we suck?

There are several trades Ballard could have made over his tenure. I’m not going to list them all but here’s a couple:

-JJ Watt and Hopkins although you could argue they wouldn’t have traded him in division

-Terron Armstead

-Trent Williams

-Chandler Jones

-Tyreek Hill

-Khalil Mack (twice)

-Amari Cooper

Im not saying big FA spending results in wins but it does help. Having Armstead and Khalil Mack on this time would make a huge difference. If we’re not hitting on DEs, LTs, and WRs in the draft then you have to get one in FA.

I don’t get the point you’re making. It’s like you’re insinuating that Ballard has just been so handicapped in the draft and FA and that’s why he hasn’t been able to get quality players at the key positions. I’m curious now for you and all the people who defend him. Why has Ballard not been able to get a franchise LT, QB, DE (Kwity Paye eval still in progress), and WR? What’s the excuse?

I just keep hearing the same contradicting statements. It’s either “this guy wasn’t available at our pick in the draft” or “this guy wanted to much money in FA”

40 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Spend smart. Not stupid spending. You can’t just rely on draft because it’s a crap shoot.

So is Free Agency. And it’s an expensive gamble. Plus this isn’t madden, the player gets to choose. It’s happened more than once that we’ve been the higher bidder and still the player went elsewhere

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So is Free Agency. And it’s an expensive gamble. Plus this isn’t madden, the player gets to choose. It’s happened more than once that we’ve been the higher bidder and still the player went elsewhere

Nah. Spending in the right places is smart. Some teams spend dumb. Rams have a SB because they are aggressive.

6 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

So Ballard has had 6 years. Other than the 14 years we had Peyton Manning this is the best 6 year stretch of the past 52 years. Look it up, and 2 of Ballards 6 years were with Brissett at qb(combined 11-21 record). And when he started he was handed a roster that other than Andrew Luck was not very good. I guess there is one thing I can fault Ballard for- he didn't draft Cooper Rush(that's a joke people).

Excuses don't matter. U r given the keys to build the team. This happened and that happened. After 5 years what is your record? Look what Rosen did with Philly.

18 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Some of you that can’t see the mistakes Ballard has made always astound me.

Ballard has most definitely made mistakes. There’s no arguing that. Find me a GM that doesn’t and I’ll buy you a lunch.

but we don’t have a void in terms of talent. We have a void in terms of coaching, play calling, etc. part of that is on Ballard because he hired Reich. He wanted McDaniels(thank God that clown backed out) and was forced to settle for Reich. Reich is this decades Marvin Lewis. Just good enough to not get fired but not good to win anything of importance.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ballard has most definitely made mistakes. There’s no arguing that. Find me a GM that doesn’t and I’ll buy you a lunch.

but we don’t have a void in terms of talent. We have a void in terms of coaching, play calling, etc. part of that is on Ballard because he hired Reich. He wanted McDaniels(thank God that clown backed out) and was forced to settle for Reich. Reich is this decades Marvin Lewis. Just good enough to not get fired but not good to win anything of importance.

We do have a void in talent and the right mix of players. Players in the spots that matter. That’s on him. It’s ok to say everyone is to blame. No coach will come here with a lame duck GM.

So what makes Rosen a great gm? Since he became gm in 2010 he is 100-92-1. Take out the magical year of 2017 when they were 13-3 he is 87-89-1(a losing record). And we all know who the offensive coordinator of that 2017 Eagle team was. The Eagles are 4-5 post season in Roseman's tenure. I don't see how that is such a tremendous job. It's "average". And people on here complain that Ballard is just "average". No, Ballard has done an excellent job. Sure Ballard traded for Wentz, but who drafted him? With a very, very, high first round pick, hmmmmmmmm. Some of you people on here need to take a good look at how bad the gms of the majority of the teams around the league are, then maybe you would understand how fortunate we are.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We do have a void in talent and the right mix of players. Players in the spots that matter. That’s on him. It’s ok to say everyone is to blame. No coach will come here with a lame duck GM.

Outside of WR, which i agree is a concern, I think we’re fine. It again is our personnel and play calling. For example: Our TEs when finally sent out, are open quite often. And when they’re not, they make the contested catches. 

Archived