Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tampa Defense

Matabix

Saw Tampa do this and I think I saw Miami do it last week.

5 DL 1 LB 5 dbs. Caught us off guard last year, wandered if we did it what 5 DL we would use, and could Leonard, and 5 dbs handle the coverage?

Yan

Buck

Grove

Dayo

Paye

Thoughts?

If Bowles ever got fired I would hope Irsay would pony up and get him.

3 minutes ago, Matabix said:

5 DL 1 LB 5 dbs. Caught us off guard last year, wandered if we did it what 5 DL we would use, and could Leonard, and 5 dbs handle the coverage?

Yan

Buck

Grove

Dayo

Paye

Thoughts?

I like the idea.   Appreciate the outside the box thinking. 

I think we’d need Leonard to make this work effectively.    He’s the LB that could make this work.  

Depending on down and distance, I’m not sure we’d always need/want Grover in this scheme?    Another pass rusher might be better in some situations. 

28 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Yan

Buck

Grove

Dayo

Paye

Thoughts?

I like it.  The odds of us trying it are probably pretty small unfortunately.  I’m expecting us to go all in on signing Sean Payton if we move off Reich.  He already said he is ready to return to coaching.  He will have his choice of opening for sure.

29 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Yan

Buck

Grove

Dayo

Paye

Thoughts?

You can play Tampa whatever if you don't get the pass rush nothing matters. 

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like the idea.   Appreciate the outside the box thinking. 

I think we’d need Leonard to make this work effectively.    He’s the LB that could make this work.  

Depending on down and distance, I’m not sure we’d always need/want Grover in this scheme?    Another pass rusher might be better in some situations. 

Yea I was thinking about replacing Grove, but with who? If he's singled up he can pick up his line man and throw him at there QB

45 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You couldn’t run that every play though. The lack of LBs is going to leave a lot of empty space in the second level. Pass catching RBs would feast on a 1v1 against a LB.

Would have to be single high safety with LB and other safety playing underneath zone. Or 2 corners underneath depending opposition personel.

3 hours ago, Matabix said:

Yan

Buck

Grove

Dayo

Paye

Thoughts?

You really don't need 5 DLs, to be 5-1-5 or 5-2-4. 

Gus uses (some) the SAM as a 2nd LEO (5 front). He did that with Speed. His SAM in LVR was a bit bigger. 

He did it vs Houston. Should have done more vs Jax. 

7 hours ago, Matabix said:

Yan

Buck

Grove

Dayo

Paye

Thoughts?

That would mean Gus playing Rodgers so it ain’t happening 

12 hours ago, Matabix said:

Yan

Buck

Grove

Dayo

Paye

Thoughts?

Everything seems to catch this defense off guard unfortunately. 

I think we will see some of this when Leonard is back. It’s basically a nickel defense but sending 5 and the LB spying the backfield.  Question would be who covers a TE if he releases into a route. A good QB should be able to recognize the personnel and either signal a hot route or dump off to out route to the side cleared out by WRs. Can combat that with moving our corners up and jamming at the line to attack LOS and prevent clear outs and slant routes making the QB hold the ball a second longer. 

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think we will see some of this when Leonard is back. It’s basically a nickel defense but sending 5 and the LB spying the backfield.  Question would be who covers a TE if he releases into a route. A good QB should be able to recognize the personnel and either signal a hot route or dump off to out route to the side cleared out by WRs. Can combat that with moving our corners up and jamming at the line to attack LOS and prevent clear outs and slant routes making the QB hold the ball a second longer. 

Depends on how you utilize the 5 DB's.  You'd need safeties that can handle linebacker duties.  Against most fronts, you'd have both Cross and McLeod on the field.  Against 3 or 4 WR fronts, then you'd have to sub in Moore for one of them.

If I were OC, I'd get an extra OL, 3 WRs and get hat on hat and run against that formation even if it is a big nickel like situation since they will be playing safeties up but with the extra OL, once you get them to the second level, you are dealing with lighter personnel as opposed to bigger LBs.

The Bucs decided to compromise a tad bit on their run D because their pass D last year was their downfall and that formation helps with pass coverage but by having lighter personnel, there is a little give on the run D aspect once your OL can man up and get the blocks executed well. Besides, Suh will be missed more if they have an injury, I am surprised no one has given Suh a chance as a FA.

8 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

Maybe Gus owes Facyson smth back from Raiders days :thinking:

Facyson and Gilmore haven’t been overall bad with facyson rank 27/91 and Gilmore 13/91 it’s Kenny Moore that’s been the worst it the 3 sitting at 76/91. It doesn’t help with all 3 safety’s playing horrible 

22 hours ago, Matabix said:

Yan

Buck

Grove

Dayo

Paye

Thoughts?

This most certainly isn’t an every down defense. Something you would likely want to sprinkle In to keep them guessing, also has some vulnerabilities in this defense as well. I don’t think you would want to employ zone coverages behind it as there will likely be a hole somewhere to exploit if the QB has time. This might be something where you want to play strict man to man and send the hounds at the QB. I’m all for trying new scheme’s especially giving the inability of the front 4 to create pressures. Gus needs to get creative with this defense and he needs to do it fast.

Archived