Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Season Opener, Colts @ Texans, Sept. 11, 2022, 1 PM EDT

NFLfan

1 minute ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Where's the locker room we used to hear so much about.

I thought Ryan's "leadership" was supposed to influence that.  Wentz lockeroom leadership seems to be working in their first half.

I'm not complaining.  Its only the first half of the first game.   

Over reactions aplenty here today.

Having heard so much about the "Gus Bradley defense", I have reached the following conclusions after the first half:

1) It is designed to NOT stop the run

2) It is designed to NOT put pressure on the QB

Other than those two short comings, the defense has been GREAT!

Also, a note to Frank Reich: If you send Hines in to run the wildcat, don't be surprised when his fake hand off to Taylor fools exactly NO ONE!

2 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

This performance is on the coaches, as it is every freaking first game of the year,for the past nine years, they had better make good half time adjustments otherwise, this is going to be a bigger embarrassment than it is already, made worse by the fact that wentz is cooking in the capital. 

Wentz wasn't the issue most of last year, I thought it then....and still do, but I'm probably wrong.  And I do think he crapped the bed at the end.....and likely will again this year.

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

Idk if there is a biggest problem. The Colts have multiple issues. I didn’t like Wentz at any point but it’s clear he was one of many problems

Wentz fell apart at multiple points last year, but he was clearly not the only problem with this team. Maybe not even the biggest problem.

• Like 1

Yep, this is the same nonsense as the past 50 years of Colt football. No pass rush, receivers running wide open(luckily the Texan qb made some bad throws and they had some drops). Inopportune bad penalty, the list goes on and on. When will it change? Players change, coaches change but the results stay the same and people wonder why the Irsays have only won one super bowl. 

I really, REALLY dislike how Reich continues to use Hines as a “replacement” to Taylor, especially at critical times like that attempted hurry up drive, rather than keeping Taylor on the field and bringing Hines in to use as another weapon at the same time.  Actually boggles my mind and frustrates me so.

Example of the bad of Hines in instead of Taylor, that 2nd down run by Hines, he gets nicked on the run and falls down.  Just no way Taylor doesn’t run through that contact getting the easy first down.  Result, Colts fail to get the first down, having to punt it away, versus easy first down by Taylor & a 2 minute drive continuing.

I like Hines, but I truly believe the Colts continue to misuse him, mostly using him to wrongfully spell a super star RB, instead of putting Hines on the field at the same time as Taylor, creating a dynamic duo and mix matches. 

Sorry, my first half rant on a team once again looking totally ill prepared for the first game of the season.  So far, I am very disappointed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Wait, do you mean it might actually be true that the Colts lack quality playmakers other than Pittman and Taylor?

We added rookies.  A good move, but the O isn't going to change too much until they emerge...if they do.

Besides, Nelson is supposed to pancake everybody, so what team would need more than JT and Pitt anyway.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

But....but....remember.......Ballard drafts for character and we don't want any divas on this team. I could use a diva or two to maybe inspire these supposed lunch box high character guys. Oh and Ballard's drafting of the trenches is really paying dividends!!!

They wouldn't help, as soon as things go south divas start to blame other people to avoid people blaming them

• Like 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

But....but....remember.......Ballard drafts for character and we don't want any divas on this team. I could use a diva or two to maybe inspire these supposed lunch box high character guys. Oh and Ballard's drafting of the trenches is really paying dividends!!!

every coach or gm will be praised by colts fans until the wheels fall off .  i was here early in the grigson years people were defending him like crazy  .   its just how fans are they defend the team no matter what

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's not over but this doesn't look pretty. Down 10-3. Our defense usually gets a turnover a 2, nothing so far. Matt hasn't looked too bad, that INT by Hughes was a great play, one handed.

He tipped it with one hand, but it was not a one handed catch.... He had great awareness, as he should at 300 years old.   I think Ryan didn't see him behind smith, because he could have easily put more under it....

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

I really, REALLY dislike how Reich continues to use Hines as a “replacement” to Taylor, especially at critical times like that attempted hurry up drive, rather than keeping Taylor on the field and bringing Hines in to use as another weapon at the same time.  Actually boggles my mind and frustrates me so.

Example of the bad of Hines in instead of Taylor, that 2nd down run by Hines, he gets nicked on the run and falls down.  Just no way Taylor doesn’t run through that contact getting the easy first down.  Result, Colts fail to get the first down, having to punt it away, versus easy first down by Taylor & a 2 minute drive continuing.

I like Hines, but I truly believe the Colts continue to misuse him, mostly using him to wrongfully spell a super star RB, instead of putting Hines on the field at the same time as Taylor, creating a dynamic duo and mix matches. 

Sorry, my first half rant on a team once again looking totally ill prepared for the first game of the season.  So far, I am very disappointed. 

I get it....but I mean.... He's your backup RB.  Regardless of whatever else he does.

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Most teams' rosters have a RB to back up what the primary RB does.  Who is that on this team, and how does Frank use somebody who isn't there?   Maybe JT plays every snap?

I agree about using Hines and JT together.  But there are other times when the back up RB simply runs the same plays as the primary.

1 minute ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Let’s be honest coaching cost the team a TD on 4/2 by splitting MR2 out wide and running wild cat.. Hughes made a great play  and Smith Is playing awfully. 

coaching is the main problem the colts moved the ball 4 out of 6 drives they just never can get the redzone right .   frank has trouble with play calling in the redzone

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rjbalchusa said:

Having heard so much about the "Gus Bradley defense", I have reached the following conclusions after the first half:

1) It is designed to NOT stop the run

2) It is designed to NOT put pressure on the QB

Other than those two short comings, the defense has been GREAT!

Also, a note to Frank Reich: If you send Hines in to run the wildcat, don't be surprised when his fake hand off to Taylor fools exactly NO ONE!

I told people we would get gashed by the run. Also do u ever think it is not the scheme why we can't get pressure after 5 years? Maybe.....just maybe it is just bad player evaluation during the drafting process? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I get it....but I mean.... He's your backup RB.  Regardless of whatever else he does.

He ought not to be the back up RB, Hines should be your gadget mismatch player on the field WITH Taylor at the same time. Lindsey should be the backup RB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

No pressure on mills 

To me, this is a huge issue especially considering the amount of draft capital, $$ that has been invested in this unit. 

Ngakoue has had no impact on this game so far and that simply cannot happen if this team to have a successful season. 

Also expected better from Kwitty Paye coming into his 2nd year.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

every coach or gm will be praised by colts fans until the wheels fall off .  i was here early in the grigson years people were defending him like crazy  .   its just how fans are they defend the team no matter what

Until said HC and GM gets fired. Then it was the right decision all along. :facepalm:

The only thing I'll say on Wentz since this is a Colts GameDay thread and y'all can make a thread in the proper spot:

He was never horrible like a lot of people said. He's inconsistent for sure, but that's always been his story. A lesser Brett Farve since his major injuries. I still don't think an inconsistent QB wins you anything significant, but some of y'all act like the previous QB is your spiteful ex in how Wentz and even Luck is treated.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Most teams' rosters have a RB to back up what the primary RB does.  Who is that on this team, and how does Frank use somebody who isn't there?   Maybe JT plays every snap?

I agree about using Hines and JT together.  But there are other times when the back up RB simply runs the same plays as the primary.

He ought not to be the back up RB, Hines should be your gadget mismatch player on the field WITH Taylor at the same time. Lindsey should be the backup RB.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

I still think Ballard is good but Frank no longer has any excuses after this.  Irsay needs to cut Frank if we lose next week too.

Not so sure about Ballard either. No pass rush, void dynamic receivers, no division titles, 1 playoff win and a carousel of qbs in a league of young talent.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I told people we would get gashed by the run. Also do u ever think it is not the scheme why we can't get pressure after 5 years? Maybe.....just maybe it is just bad player evaluation during the drafting process? 

You're asking many to uncover a persistent blind spot.  Ain't gonna happen. Its like me expecting Nelson to pancake the O's way into three TDs by now, based upon what I read in other threads.