Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning to Denver FO? Why never pursued by Indy.

EastStreet

So if anyone has followed the Bronco's team sale, they know that Manning's name has been continual theme regardless of the ebbs and flows, and regardless of who becomes the owner. 

The ownership mystery is now a done deal (Walton group), but both the previous owners, and all 4 groups bidding, had reportedly had serious discussion with Manning about being a minority owner, and having a role in the organization. In short, everyone wants him to be part of the new team organization. Looking more and more like Peyton will become a part of the front office in some way or another. Likely he'll get a very cheap buy in too. 

While I'm happy for Peyton, a little sad too. Being in demand by every one of the those groups is great. The sad part to me is that Indy never pursued him. 

In short, the guy who put the Colts on the map, will now be working to make Denver the best team in the NFL. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/06/06/peyton-manning-approached-by-all-four-broncos-bidders

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/peyton-manning-contacted-by-all-four-broncos-bidders-to-gauge-interest-for-possible-role-with-team-per-report/

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/06/08/rob-walton-broncos-ownership-reaction/

18 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

Who says Irsay never pursued Manning, I have heard he has been approached and declined.

I don't think it shows any disrespect towards him.

I've never heard of anything substantive to that narrative, especially a minority stake. Got any links?

5 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Very sad. Never rooted for the Broncos when he was their QB, and I always resented the fact that the Colts cut him for Luck. 

I rooted for Manning as a Bronco (except when he played the Colts) and was very happy for him that he won another SB in Denver. He should've won more here. 

I still remember jumping outta my chair when Mathis sacked Manning for the safety 

original.jpg

Peyton is still the G.O.A.T. in my book though 

6 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Very sad. Never rooted for the Broncos when he was their QB, and I always resented the fact that the Colts cut him for Luck. 

I was rooting for Denver because of Manning.   i wouldn't say I wanted to keep Manning and pass on Luck, but I think think about the possibilities.  There were 2 teams willing to give their entire draft plus some for that first pick in the draft.   I wish I had a crystal ball to see what the Colts could have done.  

I was rooting for Peyton when he went to Denver, except when he played us. I loved beating them in the 2014 playoffs. Andrew Luck's signature win + I am Colts all the way. Peyton getting that 2nd SB win boosted his legacy bigtime is why I rooted for him. He had the 5 MVP's and SB MVP, and the stats but wasn't a multiple SB winner. That 2nd one was critical to put him in that elite QB winners list. I also could not of imagined his brother having more rings, that would've been the brunt of all jokes.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So if anyone has followed the Bronco's team sale, they know that Manning's name has been continual theme regardless of the ebbs and flows, and regardless of who becomes the owner. 

The ownership mystery is now a done deal (Walton group), but both the previous owners, and all 4 groups bidding, had reportedly had serious discussion with Manning about being a minority owner, and having a role in the organization. In short, everyone wants him to be part of the new team organization. Looking more and more like Peyton will become a part of the front office in some way or another. Likely he'll get a very cheap buy in too. 

While I'm happy for Peyton, a little sad too. Being in demand by every one of the those groups is great. The sad part to me is that Indy never pursued him. 

In short, the guy who put the Colts on the map, will now be working to make Denver the best team in the NFL. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/06/06/peyton-manning-approached-by-all-four-broncos-bidders

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/peyton-manning-contacted-by-all-four-broncos-bidders-to-gauge-interest-for-possible-role-with-team-per-report/

Irsay wanted him in the front office. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/26/jim-irsay-talks-with-peyton-manning-about-front-office-role-were-close/

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I rooted for Manning as a Bronco (except when he played the Colts) and was very happy for him that he won another SB in Denver. He should've won more here. 

I still remember jumping outta my chair when Mathis sacked Manning for the safety 

original.jpg

Peyton is still the G.O.A.T. in my book though 

It was weird because when we had Andrew we owned them. Peyton is top 3 of all-time easily. There will never be another Peyton much like there will never be another Tom or Montana. I just don't see it. Mahomes is great and so is Rodgers but not on their level IMO.

TBH I don’t think the relationship has been the same since we let him go. He still appreciates the Colts and he’s willing to help out when asked, but there’s a distance there now. He’s definitely stayed more tied to Denver than Indy in recent years. 

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was weird because when we had Andrew we owned them. Peyton is top 3 of all-time easily. There will never be another Peyton much like there will never be another Tom or Montana. I just don't see it. Mahomes is great and so is Rodgers but not on their level IMO.

Hard to compare QBs with different skill sets, but Mahomes has a chance to end up as the best QB of all time with the ridiculous start to his career. He has the stats and the playoff success.

Just now, shasta519 said:

Hard to compare QBs with different skill sets, but Mahomes has a chance to end up as the best QB of all time with the ridiculous start to his career. He has the stats and the playoff success.

His resume is excellent but I can see him being like Rodgers as in struggling to get that 2nd SB win. When Rodgers won his 1st SB in 2010, I was on record saying Rodgers will win 3 if not 4. Guess what, he still only has 1. I thought Peyton would win at least 3 after 2006. Mahomes needs the MVP's to go along with 2 or 3 SB wins IMO to be in the GOAT discussion. Rodgers has won 4 MVP's so that is very impressive. Peyton had the 5 MVP's but needed to become more of a winner and he did that in Denver with getting that 2nd SB win. I know people can tell me Bradshaw won 4, which don't get me wrong that is unreal but he was on the perfect team. He never had to carry the Steelers much like Aikman didn't have to in Dallas.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Sounds like a silly article. Someone that "knows" that Irsay hasn't tweaked Mannings interest. That is HIGHLY UNLIKELY!  Didn't Irsay years ago speak to Mannings lack of interest to do this? Uh, how would Irsay know? 

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sounds like a silly article. Someone that "knows" that Irsay hasn't tweaked Mannings interest. That is HIGHLY UNLIKELY!  Didn't Irsay years ago speak to Mannings lack of interest to do this? Uh, how would Irsay know? 

He had a statue built for Peyton Got Talent Yes GIF by TV4- that is all that needs be said.

44 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

TBH I don’t think the relationship has been the same since we let him go. He still appreciates the Colts and he’s willing to help out when asked, but there’s a distance there now. He’s definitely stayed more tied to Denver than Indy in recent years. 

He's too smart to not know he'd never have the opportunity with the declining Indy teams that he would on the FA market.  Indy didn't screw Peyton, they could have traded him.... 

If they didn't ever offer, it might have had something to do with the overall ownership package. Would it have included an exec role for Manning? With Ballard already here, that could have created a weird dynamic, if Manning became the president or VP of football operations.

I have a far different perspective than most when it comes to Manning's departure from Indy. I think it was coordinated, or at the very least, it was set up as a potential option for both sides.

That ridiculous $28M option bonus (which Condon and Manning insisted on in his new contract) was put in there for a reason. The new contract was also signed in late July (after the lockout) when Manning couldn't even throw a football due to his neck. If they all or even just Manning knew neck surgery was very likely (he had already had two failed surgeries that offseason and couldn't throw a football), there was probably a very good chance that $28M option bonus was going to be too risky to get picked up.

It also had the added benefit of protecting the Colts from a massive dead cap hit from gtd money like the ones we have seen in recent years. So that would at least suggest that somebody knew about the severity of the injury at the time.

And it's not like both sides didn't stand to gain by Manning leaving. It allowed Manning to pick the best team to finish out his career and win another SB ring or two (which wasn't happening with that roster in Indy). And it allowed Irsay to rebuild a rapidly aging and declining roster (something he has said he wanted to even before that season).

The fact that the option bonus was due PRIOR to the new league year starting (meaning they had to exercise it and eat $28M to even trade him when the new league year started) supports that. It was basically a no trade clause, which is why the Colts got nothing and Manning got to go on a FA tour. 

Once the Colts secured the rights to Luck, it was pretty clear they were going to use that option. But even if they didn't get the #1 pick, I think there's a good chance they draft a QB early in that 2012 class. Not saying anything about tanking, but I think they realistically knew they were going to contend for the #1 pick that year with the roster they had. 

It's funny how commonplace it has become for franchise QBs to switch teams now. 

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

His resume is excellent but I can see him being like Rodgers as in struggling to get that 2nd SB win. When Rodgers won his 1st SB in 2010, I was on record saying Rodgers will win 3 if not 4. Guess what, he still only has 1. I thought Peyton would win at least 3 after 2006. Mahomes needs the MVP's to go along with 2 or 3 SB wins IMO to be in the GOAT discussion. Rodgers has won 4 MVP's so that is very impressive. Peyton had the 5 MVP's but needed to become more of a winner and he did that in Denver with getting that 2nd SB win. I know people can tell me Bradshaw won 4, which don't get me wrong that is unreal but he was on the perfect team. He never had to carry the Steelers much like Aikman didn't have to in Dallas.

He's got several MVPs and SB rings before he enters the conversation. But he is certainly on the right path...and even has a bit of a head start. 

I think a difference between him and Rodgers (the second half of this year's AFCCG notwithstanding) is his playoff performance and record.

Heading into his age 27 seasons, after only 4 seasons starting in the NFL, he is already 8-3 in the playoffs, with two SB appearances (one win). And if Dee Ford doesn't jump offsides in 2018...or Mahomes just has an average second half against CIN...he could have four SB appearances in his first 4 seasons. That's almost Brady-esque.

But unlike Brady (early in his career), Mahomes has the gaudy stats like Rodgers did.

10 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

He's too smart to not know he'd never have the opportunity with the declining Indy teams that he would on the FA market.  Indy didn't screw Peyton, they could have traded him.... 

Exactly. Manning knew the reality of the situation. He dragged that 2010 team to the playoffs, only to lose in the WC round to the NYJ (whom they thumped in the AFCCG the year before on their way to the SB). That era was coming to a quick end. And with aging, expensive vets and not much young talent due to poor drafts by Chris Polian, it was likely only going to get harder to win.

And I think Irsay knew it too. He had talked about needing to rebuild...and wanting to do so in a way that was different than the Polian era.

So I don't think Manning held any ill will toward the organization for that move. It was what was best for both sides and I think Manning actually got what he wanted out of it.

I do, however, think that Irsay's misguided comments about "Star Wars numbers" rubbed Manning the wrong way. And with how the NFL has continued to evolve the past 10 years, those comments have since aged like milk.

14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

He's got several MVPs and SB rings before he enters the conversation. But he is certainly on the right path...and even has a bit of a head start. 

I think a difference between him and Rodgers (the second half of this year's AFCCG notwithstanding) is his playoff performance and record.

Heading into his age 27 seasons, after only 4 seasons starting in the NFL, he is already 8-3 in the playoffs, with two SB appearances (one win). And if Dee Ford doesn't jump offsides in 2018...or Mahomes just has an average second half against CIN...he could have four SB appearances in his first 4 seasons. That's almost Brady-esque.

But unlike Brady (early in his career), Mahomes has the gaudy stats like Rodgers did.

Good points but that Cincy loss reminded me of a Rodgers type of loss in a playoff game. Where he just disappears and does brain scratching stuff late in games. That AFC West is really going to be tough for years now. Mahomes has his work cut out for him to get #2. Buffalo to me is the best team in the AFC. The D Ford offsides was a pile of bull but I could point to things like the REFS did us in at NE in 2003 when Marvin and Reggie were being held relentlessly. Peyton should've had a SB win that year. There will always be what if's. 

Had it not been for an onside kick in SB 44, Peyton has another. Peyton threw an INT at the end but had we scored we would've only tied it anyway. Without Freeney, Drew Brees was eating steak, drinking Wine, in the pocket. We still would've lost 27-24 IMO. I can see a lot of 1 and done's coming from Mahomes like Rodgers. I don't think KC is better than Buffalo for 1. #2, the AFC has 5 or 6 legit teams that can make the SB now. We even can in 2022. It just isn't KC and the Patriots anymore like it was from 2018 to 2020.

Then you have the Rams who have no Salary Cap and can just sign any player to any contract lmao . Matt Stafford might get his 2nd one before Mahomes or Rodgers. Sounds funny but with the way they sign players, I wouldn't laugh. 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not much different than what the greatest basketball player of all time, Micheal Jordan went thru with the Bulls. Ended up owner of a different team than he made famous

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Not much different than what the greatest basketball player of all time, Micheal Jordan went thru with the Bulls. Ended up owner of a different team than he made famous

He hasn't had a lot of success as an owner

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Thanks! Wonder why Peyton chose to stay associated with Denver since retiring, and with all the flirting by Denver, has Irsay knocked on the door again. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Had it not been for an onside kick in SB 44, Peyton has another. Peyton threw an INT at the end but had we scored we would've only tied it anyway. Without Freeney, Drew Brees was eating steak, drinking Wine, in the pocket. We still would've lost 27-24 IMO. I can see a lot of 1 and done's coming from Mahomes like Rodgers. I don't think KC is better than Buffalo for 1. #2, the AFC has 5 or 6 legit teams that can make the SB now. We even can in 2022. It just isn't KC and the Patriots anymore like it was from 2018 to 2020.

Then you have the Rams who have no Salary Cap and can just sign any player to any contract lmao . Matt Stafford might get his 2nd one before Mahomes or Rodgers. Sounds funny but with the way they sign players, I wouldn't laugh. 

Losing Freeney changed the entire offense for the Saints. 

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I think it comes down to very public involvement of Peyton over the years with Denver. He's been around the team since he retired. He does charity stuff for them, and even helped RW this off season. And he's been in the media constantly on the Denver topic. Nothing like that hear, at least since we fired Grigson.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yes, and Chicagoans were sad about it. 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it comes down to very public involvement of Peyton over the years with Denver. He's been around the team since he retired. He does charity stuff for them, and even helped RW this off season. And he's been in the media constantly on the Denver topic. Nothing like that hear, at least since we fired Grigson.

There is some sort of animosity bc the Colts cut Peyton Manning. Add in pulling the starters for a perfect season and I’m sure it doesn’t sit well with a guy as obsessed with the game like PM. He is a true professional and understands each decision but doesn’t mean he likes it. He will always be friendly to Indy bc he is a good man but I guarantee it bothers him he was kicked off the team. He donated $50m to a children’s hospital for crying out loud.  He was great for the city and we threw him away. I don’t regret much in sports but letting Manning go is one of them. 

15 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

There is some sort of animosity bc the Colts cut Peyton Manning. Add in pulling the starters for a perfect season and I’m sure it doesn’t sit well with a guy as obsessed with the game like PM. He is a true professional and understands each decision but doesn’t mean he likes it. He will always be friendly to Indy bc he is a good man but I guarantee it bothers him he was kicked off the team. He donated $50m to a children’s hospital for crying out loud.  He was great for the city and we threw him away. I don’t regret much in sports but letting Manning go is one of them. 

Yup, I think he'll always say the right thing, at least or the foreseeable future. But I do agree there's likely some ill feelings about the way it went down. Teams were bending over backwards to entice him to come. TN offered him the QB spot + a forever front office position and ownership stake IIRC lol.... I think Peyton did the right thing and got out of the AFCS, but sounds like he more or less ended up in the same position in Denver. 20 years from now, hope he rights a book... 

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, I think he'll always say the right thing, at least or the foreseeable future. But I do agree there's likely some ill feelings about the way it went down. Teams were bending over backwards to entice him to come. TN offered him the QB spot + a forever front office position and ownership stake IIRC lol.... I think Peyton did the right thing and got out of the AFCS, but sounds like he more or less ended up in the same position in Denver. 20 years from now, hope he rights a book... 

I doubt it will ever come out. I just don’t see PM as that kind of person.  Maybe when he is older and Irsay is gone but probably not. 

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I doubt it will ever come out. I just don’t see PM as that kind of person.  Maybe when he is older and Irsay is gone but probably not. 

Manning is smart, but direct, and a funny guy. He knows when, and when not to say stuff. I can see him retiring, and when things no longer can impact his career (whatever that career is), he might be more transparent. I'd definitely buy the book lol. 

As far as Peyton and Irsay go, IMO they both have a good friendship and their is no grudge Peyton holds. It was just time to move on, they both had long talks (good talks about what was going to happen which is on record), so it wasn't like Peyton was blindsided by what was going to happen. We had him for 14 seasons and we had a guy coming in by the name of Andrew Luck so it was time. Did Luck pan out in the end - no but he was very good to great his 1st 3 years (2012-2014) so we really didn't miss a beat until 2015 so it wasn't an entire flop. Things happen in life. Irsay had a statue of Peyton built, only Colt to have one, if Irsay had any bad feelings toward Peyton, he would've never done that.

Let me add, Peyton also lives in Colorado and loves it there, the weather is better and the city he lives in is beautiful. It isn't a Broncos vs Colts thing where Peyton is like screw the Colts. We have Chris Ballard as GM anyway for 1, and Irsay still wants to own our team for a long time + he has said years ago he wants his daughters to take the team over when he does retire.

19 hours ago, jmac_48 said:

Who says Irsay never pursued Manning, I have heard he has been approached and declined.

I don't think it shows any disrespect towards him.

I’ve heard it reported Irsay tried to bring him in to be GM after Grigson was fired but he felt he wasn’t ready yet.  Now Ballard is clearly established in that role so they aren’t going to fire him for Peyton and Peyton isn’t going to take a token job to just pretty much look over Ballard’s shoulder.  

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve heard it reported Irsay tried to bring him in to be GM after Grigson was fired but he felt he wasn’t ready yet.  Now Ballard is clearly established in that role so they aren’t going to fire him for Peyton and Peyton isn’t going to take a token job to just pretty much look over Ballard’s shoulder.  

We'll see what his role is in Denver, if it ever happens. I'd see him as more of pres or vp, not necessarily a GM. It's assumed by most he'll end up with a minority share, which would lead me to believe it won't be a GM spot. Will be interesting to follow.

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good points but that Cincy loss reminded me of a Rodgers type of loss in a playoff game. Where he just disappears and does brain scratching stuff late in games. That AFC West is really going to be tough for years now. Mahomes has his work cut out for him to get #2. Buffalo to me is the best team in the AFC. The D Ford offsides was a pile of bull but I could point to things like the REFS did us in at NE in 2003 when Marvin and Reggie were being held relentlessly. Peyton should've had a SB win that year. There will always be what if's. 

If somebody wanted to believe that external forces might have some influence on game outcomes, the second half of that AFCCG would be it. Mahomes had an incredible first half...and then inexplicably played the worst half of his entire career where he just kept running around. It was bizarre.

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

If somebody wanted to believe that external forces might have some influence on game outcomes, the second half of that AFCCG would be it. Mahomes had an incredible first half...and then inexplicably played the worst half of his entire career where he just kept running around. It was bizarre.

Yeah I was shocked. I thought once KC got up 21-3 it would be the usual blowout. Not sure what was going on there.

Denver is simply a bigger market and a better situation for Manning's brand, so I could see PM choosing Denver over Indy.

It makes more sense for new owners to give some ownership to Manning than for Irsay to carve out a portion of the family business give it to Manning.   

Irsay still wants to be known as the King of the Indy franchise, he's not done letting the public know that, and would have to keep PM in his shadows. 

Denver just makes more sense for Manning, IMO.

Archived