Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning to Denver FO? Why never pursued by Indy.

EastStreet

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Denver is simply a bigger market and a better situation for Manning's brand, so I could see PM choosing Denver over Indy.

It makes more sense for new owners to give some ownership to Manning than for Irsay to carve out a portion of the family business give it to Manning.   

Irsay still wants to be known as the King of the Indy franchise, he's not done letting the public know that, and would have to keep PM in his shadows. 

Denver just makes more sense for Manning, IMO.

Very true. Irsay still wants to own the team for many years and said years ago he wanted his daughters to take over when he retires and even help him now. I would've loved to have him as GM but once we got Ballard that wasn't an option either. Just not a fit here. Peyton also lives in Colorado and loves it there, I am happy for him. IMO he will always be a true Colt regardless.

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Very true. Irsay still wants to own the team for many years and said years ago he wanted his daughters to take over when he retires and even help him now. I would've loved to have him as GM but once we got Ballard that wasn't an option either. Just not a fit here. Peyton also lives in Colorado and loves it there, I am happy for him. IMO he will always be a true Colt regardless.

Family businesses often skip over the long time dedicated employee who ran it to have it end up in the children's ownership.  I don't have a family business, but some owners treat them like offspring themselves, and any invasion of ownership is akin to a dilution of the family's DNA, LOL.

Offering PM a front office job...only an employee....is a lot different than partial ownership.

Denver's ownership is fluid and not connected to any family.  Maybe PM can eventually work his way into being thought of as Sam Walton's adopted grandson, LOL.  Although I don't know if PM has any ownership rights at this point.

Archived